The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

• Goldfinger is perfection. Always a joy to watch this one. You can tell Connery is having a great time with it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Never get tired of Bassey's epic title song. Really did set the "gold standard." ;)

I knew this song long before I saw the film. It was the one Bond song from the 60s that would often play on the radio when I grew up.
    Decided to rewatch SP. Hoping I can find more enjoyment than the last couple times.
    I do still really enjoy the PTS. The film peaks right at the start IMO.
    I also like the title credits. Song... meh.
    One of the things that bothers me most about SP is the unnecessary retreading of the theme in SF about spy work being outdated and whatnot. It was nice to have around once, but just feels tired and repetitve with SP.
    I tried this in a double bill wz SF x The time flew by watching SF but it made no difference to SP x still turned it off at the same point x it’s just got a horrifically bad final 3rd .
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I tried this in a double bill wz SF x The time flew by watching SF but it made no difference to SP x still turned it off at the same point x it’s just got a horrifically bad final 3rd .

I’ve been wanting to watch SF lately too. Figured instead though I’d save it for after SP this time since I vastly prefer it.

Q is terrific in SP.
  • Connery’s performance in Dr No is fantastic but a little tight IMO.

Completely understandable.
    Bond threatens Q’s cats.

No wonder Blofeld hated Bond!
    The bit at the funeral is one of the best moments IMO.
    Felix reference. Please bring back Wright for B25!!!
    The Rome meeting. Certainly one of the big highlights.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 12,292
    Sadly succeeded by a mediocre car chase :(
    Bond going to see Mr. White one last time. Probably still my favorite scene of the film. I’ve seen some people rag on it for changing White’s character to being softer, but that’s never how I saw it. Simply explains White had his limits - by no means does it retcon him to be softer or not a villain. Just a little less evil than Blofeld.
    Madeleine’s introduction. I do think she’s become a bit of an overhated character. Granted, she’s no Tracy or Vesper, but I definitely don’t see her as one of the worst Bond girls either.
    The infamous SPECTRE retcon. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I like the idea of connecting Quantum with SPECTRE, but always felt iffy about Silva’s inclusion.

Also, what could have been with this action scene in Austria. We should have gotten
    “parkour on skies!”
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Bond going to see Mr. White one last time. Probably still my favorite scene of the film. I’ve seen some people rag on it for changing White’s character to being softer, but that’s never how I saw it. Simply explains White had his limits - by no means does it retcon him to be softer or not a villain. Just a little less evil than Blofeld.

It is the best part of the film, but I do feel it could have been so much more. I suppose that I mainly blame Craig; he’s as unconvincing there as he is in the rest of the film.

I like when Craig gives him the gun and says “that’s my word.” Such a tense moment.

@Birdleson you are right about Madeleine. It’s not fair to her character, but the intent was indeed to make her a serious love interest. That does come up well short.
    The look on Bond’s face when she says “this is where they spent their wedding night.” He’s like “TMI!”
    The Vesper tape is one of the callbacks to previous films in SP that I thought was actually particularly good. Brief but meaningful.
    Sadly, these moments on the train make up the last segment before the film really derails.
    The conversation Bond and Madeleine have at dinner is pivotal to how B25 will play out I think. At the end of this film, Bond chooses to leave with Madeleine. One way or another, this decision is not going to stick, and I have a strong feeling B25 will end with Bond back in the service - forever.
    Bond vs. Hinx. Last major highlight. It was nice to get a fight like this in the Craig era. One of the best accomplishments of SP.
    Oh boy. On to the third act. I really wish they had fixed this up before release. It’s such a weak finale.
    White cat. I do love that inclusion.

The torture scene is one of the lowest points overall though - especially given it’s the same actor/era with the torture scene from CR. Blofeld’s unnecessary connection to Bond in the past and the instant torture recovery are cringeworthy.
    RIP Blofeld’s base (and probably cat :()
    Serious lack of excitement in the climax. I’m glad Craig is getting another shot after this.
    I’ve heard it suggested before a better ending would have been to have had Blofeld escape in the helicopter. Much of the story situation certainly would have changed.
    That’s another viewing in the books. I did have some more fun with it than the last few times, but still that third act is a bother.
    Making it a double feature - back at it again with SF.