"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    I cant see them getting through the next round now.

United can meet one of Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona, PSG, Porto, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. They need a José masterclass!

Or a bigger bus to park !!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,575
    The draw for the first round of the Champions League knock-out stage will take place on Monday, December 17 at UEFA's headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

DuP4GKXX4AEb126.jpg
    I cant see them getting through the next round now.

United can meet one of Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona, PSG, Porto, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. They need a José masterclass!

Or a bigger bus to park !!

My thoughts exactly!
    001 wrote: »
    The draw for the first round of the Champions League knock-out stage will take place on Monday, December 17 at UEFA's headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

Looking forward to that. Do hope Arsenal get an easy draw!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,575
    Imagine if Liverpool play Real Madrid with sergio ramos playing at anfield.
    The Liverpool fans will go crazy after his antics in the last CL final.
    001 wrote: »
    Imagine if Liverpool play Real Madrid with sergio ramos playing at anfield.
    The Liverpool fans will go crazy after his antics in the last CL final.

That would be a game to watch for sure!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,361
    Arsenal with a decent 1-0 win over Qarabag tonight, playing a team with a lot of youngsters. Bukayo Saka (born in 2001) looked particularly lively, and should have scored. One to keep an eye on going forward!

Meanwhile Rosenborg managed a late 1-1 draw away against RB Leipzig – sending them out of the EL. This also led to Celtic going through:

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Glad to see RBK snatch a point in the final minutes of their campaign. Though hardly a brilliant performance, it saves us the pain of ending without any points.

Curious though how RBK, champions 4 times in a row, ends up with a single point when Sarpsborg manages to gain 5 points.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Glad to see RBK snatch a point in the final minutes of their campaign. Though hardly a brilliant performance, it saves us the pain of ending without any points.

Curious though how RBK, champions 4 times in a row, ends up with a single point when Sarpsborg manages to gain 5 points.

Yeah, that goal and one point felt more satisfying that it should. For those who are not a fan of the whole Red Bull ownership thing, even more so!

Re. RBK vs Sarpsborg, there were two factors, IMO. Sarpsborg played an easier group; you would expect Rosenborg to put up a better fight against those teams than against the RB teams + Celtic. Second – and most importantly, Rosenborg had the title race and the cup to focus on in addition to playing EL, while Sarpsborg didn't have anything to play for other than the EL – finishing 8th in the league.

It was a very good EL run for Sarpsborg though. No doubt they made the most of it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Saints are looking more organised
    Finally a booking for a Southampton player. They've gotten away with a lot in this game.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Finally a booking for a Southampton player. They've gotten away with a lot in this game.

It's been a good game to watch, Southampton will buckle late on

It's been a good game to watch, Southampton will buckle late on

Not for us Arsenal fans…
    Where was Arsenal's keeper

It had to happen at some point. Think Arsenal would have had to won this game to keep up with the others…
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,587

It had to happen at some point. Think Arsenal would have had to won this game to keep up with the others…

Three horse race for fourth and third place I think, United not included because we are c#%p
    Pogba on the bench, Jose is parking the Bus Deput!

Three horse race for fourth and third place I think, United not included because we are c#%p

Arsenal might get up to fourth by the end of the season if one or two of the teams above don't pick up enough points for some reason (can't see that happening). These types of matches are must wins for Arsenal, and losing today is only a confirmation about how far behind the team is in terms of quality and squad depth. The January window might become more very important now.

United should on paper be good enough to challenge for top four. A win tonight would be massive.

Arsenal might get up to fourth by the end of the season if one or two of the teams above don't pick up enough points for some reason (can't see that happening). These types of matches are must wins for Arsenal, and losing today is only a confirmation about how far behind the team is in terms of quality and squad depth. The January window might become more very important now.

United should on paper be good enough to challenge for top four. A win tonight would be massive.

If we had a manager that could motivate players we have the quality, we are awful this season under Jose he is wrecking the club and needs to go

If we had a manager that could motivate players we have the quality, we are awful this season under Jose he is wrecking the club and needs to go

1-1 now I see! Maybe a result tonight might be a turning point for José?

Even if we won most of the supporters want rid for good reason

Even if we won most of the supporters want rid for good reason

Well, I guess thing would be the same for other supporters too if the atmosphere around their club was the same. Will be interesting to see how things develop around United going forward.
    Jose will get sacked, at the latest next Summer, so we have to put up with dross in the meantime.
    Jose will get sacked, at the latest next Summer, so we have to put up with dross in the meantime.

Don't think the timing to do so would be now anyway, so you might be right about that. Unless they go for someone like Conte, Zidane or Wenger (although Wenger have said he won't manage an English team again, I think).
    Jose tactics are from the Jurrassic era

Zidane would be my choice he knows how to set up attacking teams

Jose get out!!!!!
    United are 19 points behind Liverpool, 11 points from top 4, this should be an untenable position for Jose, United board do something NOW!!!
    United are 19 points behind Liverpool, 11 points from top 4, this should be an untenable position for Jose, United board do something NOW!!!

Ouch! That was a tough result for United. Kind of expected United to get a draw in this match, but when that fails, it doesn't look like the team can offer much. Makes the draw for Arsenal at home against Liverpool feel like a great result, actually.

Ouch! That was a tough result for United. Kind of expected United to get a draw in this match, but when that fails, it doesn't look like the team can offer much. Makes the draw for Arsenal at home against Liverpool feel like a great result, actually.

The only positive I took from today's game was I liked Klopp's snood so ordered one :))

I would cry if I were not so numb with depression regarding United, its only going to get worse if Jose stays.

The only positive I took from today's game was I liked Klopp's snood so ordered one :))

I would cry if I were not so numb with depression regarding United, its only going to get worse if Jose stays.

They won't get rid of him mid season. He'll still cost a bit to offload in the summer.
    vzok wrote: »

They won't get rid of him mid season. He'll still cost a bit to offload in the summer.

If Jose fails in CL and does not make top four it will be a bit cheaper, soon as those two things happen he will be gone it appears

The only positive I took from today's game was I liked Klopp's snood so ordered one
    :))

Well, that's a small positive! :))