Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• edited August 2018 Posts: 7,500
    The Guardian just posted a ranking of all the Bonds (including non officials). I thought it fitted here on this thread... if you know what I mean...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/24/james-bond-on-film-ranked
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    jobo wrote: »
    The Guardian just posted a ranking of all the Bonds (including non officials). I thought it fitted here on this thread... if you know what I mean...

Wow. I've never seen a worse ranking.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,293

I'll let this Larry David GIF reenact my reaction to that list…
    giphy.gif

15. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - what the hell?!
    …and the article writer is a film critic?!
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Thanks for the replies guys, enjoyed reading them.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Good Lord.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Me neither. Both Dalton’s effort in the bottom 5 and OHMSS not even near the top 10?

This guy has absolutely no clue.

The man/woman cannot be taken serious with that list, clearly does not know his 007.
    I
    SaintMark wrote: »

The man/woman cannot be taken serious with that list, clearly does not know his 007.

I just flicked through that article,didnt even read it.
    That's the worst listing I have EVER seen ...what did he/she do ,pick film names out of a hat ?

And the 2 extra films in there are NOT OFFICIAL BOND FILMS and shouldn't be in there !!!
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Me neither. Both Dalton’s effort in the bottom 5 and OHMSS not even near the top 10?

This guy has absolutely no clue.

And YOLT is the best?

He must wish Sean Connery had been bored sooner.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Correct.

TLD in the 24th spot? Lunacy!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Correct.

@barryt007 finally has someone that agrees with him!
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339

Correct.

Aah but does he Torg ?

Look at the film listing thread,my friend ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    They lost me with GoldenEye being 18th
    barryt007 wrote: »

Correct.

Aah but does he Torg ?

Damn, forgot about DAD - and the unofficial films! He almost agrees with you, then!

Edit: Of course, you meant the Bond movie ranking thread. Looks like we agree on that last place; SP really bothers me!

Correct.

Aah but does he Torg ?

Damn, forgot about DAD - and the unofficial films! He almost agrees with you, then!

Edit: Of course, you meant the Bond movie ranking thread. Looks like we agree on that last place; SP really bothers me!

We do indeed !!
    I have to put it out there. I love TMWTGG. Damn, even the idiotic theme song. Even Goodnight. I must be ill. But I really come back to it often. Moore rules.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »
    I have to put it out there. I love TMWTGG. Damn, even the idiotic theme song. Even Goodnight. I must be ill. But I really come back to it often. Moore rules.
    I couldn't agree more. One of my personal faves too. It pains me to see it get chopped to bits here from time to time. Rog firing on all cylinders, Lee, Adams and Ekland in bikinis, Kung Fu nieces, Lulu, Hip, J.W. and his fat cliche wife, Chew Me, Bottom's Up, slide whistle, kid being thrown in the river (I know, I know..violence against kids and all that but frankly I couldn't give a damn), etc. etc. I love it all. Hamilton was a genius.

EDIT:
    It's a big fat middle finger to all that's PC.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They lost me with GoldenEye being 18th

Yes, a bit high.
    bondjames wrote: »

Absofreakinlutely!

And that Lazar scene is perfect. What modern Bond misses. The intro to the bottoms up is also quite interesting, if I recall ;)

Glad we're on the same page on so many subjects bonjames. Cheers
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I couldn't agree more. One of my personal faves too. It pains me to see it get chopped to bits here from time to time. Rog firing on all cylinders, Lee, Adams and Ekland in bikinis, Kung Fu nieces, Lulu, Hip, J.W. and his fat cliche wife, Chew Me, Bottom's Up, slide whistle, kid being thrown in the river (I know, I know..violence against kids and all that but frankly I couldn't give a damn), etc. etc. I love it all. Hamilton was a genius.

EDIT:

This post brings a happy tear to my eye.

Where is it in your rankings @Univex ?
    I tend not to do rankings because its an ever changing thing. But in the Moore area of things, it ranks pretty high. Funny thing is, with the passing years, the Moore films are getting higher and higher up the list. Certainly higher if we consider the rewatchability factor. I think its because i really miss the classy swagger and the know it all Bond. And the eyebrow move ;)
    I tend not to do rankings because its an ever changing thing. But in the Moore area of things, it ranks pretty high. Funny thing is, with the passing years, the Moore films are getting higher and higher up the list. Certainly higher if we consider the rewatchability factor. I think its because i really miss the classy swagger and the know it all Bond. And the eyebrow move ;)

I know what you mean.
    Just watching a Craig film (lesser so with QOS) is a draining and time-consuming experience.
    Very low rewatchability.

I know what you mean.
    Just watching a Craig film (lesser so with QOS) is a draining and time-consuming experience.
    Very low rewatchability.

Actually you are spot on. I do rewatch QOS more often then the other Craig films. And I think it's growing to be my fav of his tenure. He is sort of a Mcqueen type, the more silent he is and the more concentration he puts on his movements, the better. Craig, I mean. As for Moore, I could listen to him talk all day long.

I know what you mean.
    Very low rewatchability.

Actually you are spot on. I do rewatch QOS more often then the other Craig films. And I think it's growing to be my fav of his tenure. He is sort of a Mcqueen type, the more silent he is and the more concentration he puts on his movements, the better. Craig, I mean. As for Moore, I could listen to him talk all day long.

QOS is just behind CR in my rankings.3rd and 4th,but I can see it overtaking it in the not too distant future.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

EDIT:

I agree with all that. Also the music, the sets and the overall atmosphere is fantastic. A favourite since I was young, hence my nickname ;)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited August 2018 Posts: 6,733
    And Bond (Moore Bond!) is kind of a jerk in the film. I love it. Has little patience with people, beds Andrea while Goodnight is hiding in the closet and then tells her her turn will come later!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    And Bond (Moore Bond!) is kind of a jerk in the film. I love it. Has little patience with people, beds Andrea while Goodnight is hiding in the closet and then tells her her turn will come later!

Yes,i don't like that comment at all.

mattjoes wrote: »

I think it's a step too far. Bond might be ruthess and cynical at times, but he should never be an outright jerk and an asshole like that! That's at least my opinion.

I could never imagine Fleming's Bond acting like that. Womanizer yes, disrespectful misogynist no...
  • The culmination of Bond's most heroic moment imho.

Exactly! As up until that point he'd been chasing after the bomb first on the train and then the amazing car chase to the air base and then finally in the circus where he had to convince them.

I love it!