The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Actually, and although Craig isn't my cup of Bond look wise, he looks very nice in that promo. The hair is finally perfect for him, IMO ;) cut and colour. That omega isn't Bond material, though. The PO is the one I think looks better for Craig's Bond.

Well, cool ad, and yes doubleoego, it really is quite ironic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Univex wrote: »
    Actually, and although Craig isn't my cup of Bond look wise, he looks very nice in that promo. The hair is finally perfect for him, IMO ;) cut and colour. That omega isn't Bond material, though. The PO is the one I think looks better for Craig's Bond.

Well, cool ad, and yes doubleoego, it really is quite ironic.
    I agree with you that Craig looks distinguished and elegant in that photo, which is something he hasn't pulled off for me as Bond in quite some time.

I think the Seamaster 300M is an iconic Bond watch, and I would like to see it return for a Bond film. Just not in that colour and strap variation. Black (or Omega Bond blue) on a bracelet is better.
    I admit to be advocating for the Seamaster Planet Ocean because that's the one I've got ;) From QOS. It's a really good looking one. And one that harkens back to that first pick of Craig as Bond on set, walking around in that dirty t shirt and trousers from the chase. Although it had the black rubber strap on it.
    I admit to be advocating for the Seamaster Planet Ocean because that's the one I've got ;) From QOS. It's a really good looking one. And one that harkens back to that first pick of Craig as Bond on set, walking around in that dirty t shirt and trousers from the chase. Although it had the black rubber strap on it.
    Do you have the 2500? The one from QoS? I used to have that watch at one time in 42mm. Great piece.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Do you have the 2500? The one from QoS? I used to have that watch at one time in 42mm. Great piece.

Same one. Only watch I'd want for a lifetime. Why, may I ask, don't you have it anymore bondjames?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

Same one. Only watch I'd want for a lifetime. Why, may I ask, don't you have it anymore bondjames?
    I tend to go through watches. I keep them for a while and then sell and move on. I do regret selling that one though. It was a real beaut, especially on a rubber strap. Very versatile. Jeremy Clarkson used to wear one too.

In all honesty it was because I found it a bit heavy on the bracelet and I realized I always wanted a Sub which is lighter & so got one of those. Still miss it though. I have a Railmaster as well so I haven't completely given up on Omegas.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Gotcha. Say, did you know Dell Deaton from James Bond watches.com? Very nice chap, one of the best from the old days in the forums. Been around these since 99 I reckon, CBn and Mi6. And so have I. He knew watches like no one else.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gotcha. Say, did you know Dell Deaton from James Bond watches.com? Very nice chap, one of the best from the old days in the forums. Been around these since 99 I reckon, CBn and Mi6. And so have I. He knew watches like no one else.

Dell lost a lot of credibility some years back over at the other site. They really hated him over there.
    Yes, stupidity creeps in very easily in either forums. There's a lot of it here nowadays. Just look at what happened to Col Sun and others... And I was shocked to read some of the current users. But hey, times are changing, right?
    No, he was before my time. I'd love to read more about the history behind the watch choices in Bond films though.
    Great stuff. Thanks! I notice though that his AVTAK synopsis doesn't identify the Datejust which Sir Rog wore as St. John Smythe (I believe it was his personal watch that accidentally made it into the shoot or something).
    Cool fact, thanks bondjames. I bet Mr. Deaton would like to know that. Cheers
    fdbfc1b7535729c62c9e654c4686e2b8--montre-omega-planet-ocean.jpg

Best Daniel Craig as Bond/Omega pub still, IMO.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,279
    Reading all these Omega comments makes me feel bad for only owning a Timex T2M453…
    Reading all these Omega comments makes me feel bad for only owning a Timex T2M453…
    I had a Timex for years. It still runs. And that one is a cool one, for sure.
    I had to work for 5 years to get the PO, and I hope it'll be on my wrist when I die ;)
    I had a Timex for years. It still runs. And that one is a cool one, for sure.
    I had to work for 5 years to get the PO, and I hope it'll be on my wrist when I die ;)

I'll probably have to work more than five years feeling comfortable enough to buy a watch like an Omega, that's for sure! Quite happy with the Timex, though. Had it for about 7 years, and the only work I've had done on it, is changing the battery once and changing the black leather watch strap with a cognac brown one. The date function doesn't work anymore unfortunately, and I will probably upgrade soon. If only Omega had some cheaper watches, haha!
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Buy vintage Omega Seamasters on Chrono24, absolute bargains.
    QQ7 wrote: »
    Buy vintage Omega Seamasters on Chrono24, absolute bargains.

Bookmarked! Know nothing about buying vintage/used watches, but I guess that's the way to go. Thanks :-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @Univex, what happened to our member Col. Sun?
    Same as what happened to me. He got mistreated by forum members till he couldn't take it anymore. I'm just around sometimes, but I know not to overstay my welcome. There are wonderful people around here. Mods and owners included. Wish they were the majority ;)
    Same as what happened to me. He got mistreated by forum members till he couldn't take it anymore. I'm just around sometimes, but I know not to overstay my welcome. There are wonderful people around here. Mods and owners included. Wish they were the majority ;)

Sorry to read that, @Univex. Some people on the forum can be quite aggressive in their comments sometimes – especially when other people disagree with their views on particular subjects.
    CR and SF are of course Craig's most popular two films, and I've often heard the FRWL (CR) vs. GF (SF) used on the two films. Once Craig's era is officially over, assuming Bond 25 doesn't quite reach this level of popularity, will CR or SF be his most beloved Bond film? While I love both and consider them among the series' best, CR holds the edge for me. 10+ years from now though, I am curious to see if CR or SF is the more popular film of his. What do you all think?
    I think CR will be regarded as his best, as it probably appeals more to those who aren't Craig's biggest fans, more than SF. That's the feeling I get from reading comments on this forum, at least.

For me personally, QoS has the potential of becoming my favourite, but I highly doubt that will be the general opinion.
    I think CR will be regarded as his best, as it probably appeals more to those who aren't Craig's biggest fans, more than SF. That's the feeling I get from reading comments on this forum, at least.

For me personally, QoS has the potential of becoming my favourite, but I highly doubt that will be the general opinion.

QoS is definitely getting something of a reappraisal - I think in large part because people appreciated it a lot more post-SP (which a good many would consider Craig's weakest Bond film - myself included). I think Craig has a tremendous run with his first 3 Bond films, then definitely stumbled quite a bit with SP.
    FoxRox wrote: »

QoS is definitely getting something of a reappraisal - I think in large part because people appreciated it a lot more post-SP (which a good many would consider Craig's weakest Bond film - myself included). I think Craig has a tremendous run with his first 3 Bond films, then definitely stumbled quite a bit with SP.

Indeed. I think the shorter runtime is a factor too. I feel both SF and SP are too long, while QoS doesn't overstay it's welcome.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Quantum was a script polish and better edit away from greatness. It is a bleak film but it reflects Bond’s state of mind following the death of Vesper.
    While I like Skyfall a great deal, I can’t help but feel that there should have been a film between it and Quantum, perhaps a fun stand alone with Bond in his prime.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think the general public is reassessing QoS. That's more of a hardcore thing. It's generally dismissed or forgotten.

From what I can tell, SF is the film that will be seen as the high point of his tenure by most casual viewers.

CR doesn't have the same resonance with those members of the general public that I've spoken with about Bond. It's certainly not disliked, but I know people who haven't even seen it. This isn't the case with SF, which most folks I know have seen and have also liked.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Quantum was a script polish and better edit away from greatness. It is a bleak film but it reflects Bond’s state of mind following the death of Vesper.
    While I like Skyfall a great deal, I can’t help but feel that there should have been a film between it and Quantum, perhaps a fun stand alone with Bond in his prime.

I think a film version of Blood Stone would have sufficed.
    Remington wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

I think a film version of Blood Stone would have sufficed.

Although not a gamer, I quite enjoyed that game. Might need to play it again sometime.