Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Dr No

For a film that 50 years old, it creaks here and there, but otherwise it's aged ok. I'm not a fan of the calypso music in the titlse, the intrusiveness of the Bond theme (playing as Bond enters the hotel and when Bond is bashing the Spider) or the three blind mice for that matter and Connery is a bit too rough around the edges. There isn't really anything else I can complain about, a pretty decent beginning for Bonds cinematic life.

Next up: From Russia With Love
    In a weird way, Dr. No doesn't feel as dated as the likes of, say.... TMWTGG! It's all about the tacky fashion in the 70's--
    Sean Connery in his tux has a very timeless feel to it. I also find myself going back to the 60's Bond films of late- probably because Mad Men is back on TV, lol

I will say this though-- that car chase, with Connery spinning his steering wheel and making some hilarious faces- that's the only truly dated part of Dr. No! Have you looked at the car chasing him in the projection?? It's ENORMOUS!!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,894
    I think there's quite a few Bonds that have aged worse than DN, and not just those in the 1970's. But considering there's only a year between DN and FRWL, the latter has aged like a fine wine. If FRWL were an actress, it'd be Diane Lane or Julianne Moore. :D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TMWTGG dated ? =))
    TMWTGG dated ? =))

Of course its dated. What about all the Kung-Fu stuff?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote:
    TMWTGG dated ? =))

Of course its dated. What about all the Kung-Fu stuff?

They still make kung-fu films in Hong-Kong in 2012.

There's nothing dated about TMWTGG, if you happen to live in 1974.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    you live in 1974.

I wish I did :((
  • wdmwdm
    DAF

Probably my least favorite Bond film (it goes up and down with DAD), but I thought my 6 month-old niece would appreciate the colors.
    wdm wrote:
    DAF

Probably my least favorite Bond film (it goes up and down with DAD), but I thought my 6 month-old niece would appreciate the colors.

Yeah, DAF is a very colorful Bond movie, certainly a cartoon-ish, fun Bond adventure. Nevertheless, I like DAF, and think it's got great Bond moments and some classic elements.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    wdm wrote:
    DAF

Yeah, DAF is a very colorful Bond movie, certainly a cartoon-ish, fun Bond adventure. Nevertheless, I like DAF, and think it's got great Bond moments and some classic elements.

As a film it is still crap, but Moore fans still like it. As a Bond film it is even worse, with any chance of a revenge tale thrown out the window and no vengeance at the hands of Bond on Irma Bunt for killing Tracy. DAF ruins the continuation, apparently forgetting the plot of OHMSS and totters weakly on like a horse with a broken hind leg. We get a tad of anger out of Bond in the PTS, but after that it is like he doesn't care much for the journey anymore, also in part to the fact that Connery STILL didn't want to be there. And don't get me started when the evil maniac Blofeld haunts us all in...drag. :-L
    An absolute travesty of a film, Bond or other wise, and one I try to watch as little as possible so that even if I have blistering knuckles and a pained head afterwards I still have my dignity.
    Diamonds Are Forever

The previous posts above prodded me to watch this one again. I used to have it at #3 in my rankings months ago, but that was removed and put out of my Top Ten. However, after this last viewing, I found out once again that DAF is too irresistable. Even if the continuity of the series was ruined, I could care less, because DAF is extremely entertaining. It's got outstanding villains, colorful locations, toe-tapping music, and a great pace that makes it an easy 2-hour watch. The only issues I found were Charles Gray as Blofeld, Connery's return as 007, and the action, which except for the Peter Franks elevator encounter and the Las Vegas car chase, seemd very tired and lazy. Still, I really like DAF, it's one of those guilty pleasures!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    you live in 1974.

I wish I was in the 80s. Ah the 80s. The era I was born in. The era that gave me Die Hard, Scarface, and Timothy Dalton as James Bond. :) Happy days...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    you live in 1974.

I wish I was in the 80s. Ah the 80s. The era I was born in. The era that gave me Die Hard, Scarface, and Timothy Dalton as James Bond. :) Happy days...

I wish I was born in 1941. Getting to grow up listening to Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, then becoming an adult when the Cold War starts rearing its head. The intrigue of Cold War espionage is so tantalizing interesting, and I'd love to be enlisted in the CIA at that time and at work abroad fighting the Soviets. Better yet, I'd see the very start of Bond, and get to revel in the films of Marilyn Monroe, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Katharine Hepburn, Marlon Brando, and so many more. That is the ideal time for me.
    Live and Let Die (1973)

Recently, LALD took a dive as one of my favorites, but I can safely say that now it's back up there with the best. It's got Roger Moore, awesome music, fantastic villains, pretty great location work, and lots of other attributes. Certainly a favorite for me!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Watched Goldfinger again the other day. The fort knox fight with oddjob is so cool, there is no music so it makes it more tense.
    Watched Goldfinger again the other day. The fort knox fight with oddjob is so cool, there is no music so it makes it more tense.

One of the only good things about the movie, sadly.
    The Living Daylights

Easily a favorite of mine, with definite Top 5 material. Timothy Dalton is spot-on in his debut, John Barry provides a toe-tapping, hum-able score, the locations are varied and exotic, the action is explosively dangerous and exciting, and even the villains are great. Yes, I said that TLD's villains are great. Sorry, but I really like Whitaker, Koskov, and Necros. Just a shame that Whitaker was so under-used to have played such a vital part in the entire operation. High points go to the PTS, Koskov's defection in the Czech Republic, the Blayden Safehouse scenes, the car chase with the Volante, Saunder's death, Pushkin's "assassination", and the entire airbase climax, including the amazing, grand-scale fight between Bond and Necros!
    said it before Beast that the finale should of had Dalton battling it out at the Blaydon safe house grounds, could of been some fine action at such a location, and for at least to have had Necros involved, with some of those exploding milk bottles too, rather than a third of the way through the film, I would rather of had it done at the end, and Whitaker and Koskov involved too, rather the dull ending in Morocco which doesn't offer much and is all over rather too quickly
    said it before Beast that the finale should of had Dalton battling it out at the Blaydon safe house grounds, could of been some fine action at such a location, and for at least to have had Necros involved, with some of those exploding milk bottles too, rather than a third of the way through the film, I would rather of had it done at the end, and Whitaker and Koskov involved too, rather the dull ending in Morocco which doesn't offer much and is all over rather too quickly

Agreed, I enjoy that last fight with Whitaker to some extent, but it is, like you said, over much too quickly. It felt like a "cut-and-paste" scene just to make an ending for Whitaker, since he barely did anything in the movie.
    My favorite part was when Pushkin arrived at his Tangiers base and he steps out of a line up of all these famous historical figures, Bonaparte, Alexander the Great etc, I thought that was quite well done, but will always insist Whitaker was one of the most lukewarm and uninteresting main adversaries of the entire series
    My favorite part was when Pushkin arrived at his Tangiers base and he steps out of a line up of all these famous historical figures, Bonaparte, Alexander the Great etc, I thought that was quite well done, but will always insist Whitaker was one of the most lukewarm and uninteresting main adversaries of the entire series

I just think he was under-used so much so that he doesn't even seem like a real Bond villain. He had a total of maybe four scenes and we never even saw him do anything in those scenes except talk about how much he is obsessed with war. I agree with you that a better fight was needed, and I think something could have been done along the lines with his war general mannequins or a swordfight maybe, like either you or someone else mentioned in a previous thread.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/6512#Comment_6512">Quoting BAIN123</a>: <br>
    <br>That's a controversial view around here - one I'll support <span class="Emoticon Emoticon1"><span>:-)</span></span></blockquote>

And I as well.

And I also.
    For Your Eyes Only

A friend and I watched this in the car on a road trip today, it was so much fun! FYEO is easily one of my favorites, everything just comes together here. Great action, locations, music, characters, just plain everything! My friend had never seen it before, and he loved the parts where the hockey player got owned by the Zamboni, Apostis getting stabbed and falling off the mountain (which was extra funny because he had just said that he wished "that guy" would fall off the mountain soon!), the diver who Bond blew up with the ATAC thermite charge, and when Bond kicked Locque's car off the cliff, of course!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @00Beast, Locque's death has to be one of my favorites in the series. Moore giving chase on foot and narrowly catching him was so intense.

The last one I watched was QoS, and I only managed to get through 3/4 of it before I had to leave, and just never continued it after that. Very entertaining film in terms of action, but on the other hand, it feels like that's all the movie has: action. Every time I see it, I just feel like it is action piece after action piece after action piece, which makes it incredibly easy to tell what will happen next.

"Okay, car chase, foot chase, rope fight, knife fight, motorcycle chase, boat chase, Tosca chase..."

Granted, the same can be said for any movie you've seen 100 times, but for this, it's just different.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @00Beast, Locque's death has to be one of my favorites in the series. Moore giving chase on foot and narrowly catching him was so intense.

The last one I watched was QoS, and I only managed to get through 3/4 of it before I had to leave, and just never continued it after that. Very entertaining film in terms of action, but on the other hand, it feels like that's all the movie has: action. Every time I see it, I just feel like it is action piece after action piece after action piece, which makes it incredibly easy to tell what will happen next.

"Okay, car chase, foot chase, rope fight, knife fight, motorcycle chase, boat chase, Tosca chase..."

Granted, the same can be said for any movie you've seen 100 times, but for this, it's just different.

A lot of Bond films have a ton of action too, like CR or TB for instance, but I think it is more noticeable for people like you @Creasy47 because of QoS's short length.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0Brady, it could be. But see, films like CR weren't really moved by the action. Sure, there were some big bits here and there, but there are heavier breaks: from the foot chase in Madagascar, we don't have another real fight scene until Bond and Dimitrios at the Science Museum. Then, after the airport scene, there isn't another one until the stairwell fight. But, you are right, there is still a lot of action throughout, and I do think the short running time really hampered my view on it, to the point I feel that is was ONLY action, nothing else.

Either way, I still enjoyed QoS a good bit. Very beautiful on blu-ray, as well.
    Quantum of Solace

Unfortunately... My girlfriend hasn't (until last week) seen any Bond movies. So, I started her off with CR since that was the movie that really got me interested. She really liked CR and was really excited to watch QoS. I didn't tell her how much of a let down it was beforehand. I didn't want her to go into it with a negative filter. Needless to say, about 45 minutes in she was complaining about it being difficult to follow. I totally agree. In my opinion, even CR takes a couple viewings to completely understand what's going on and although the QoS plot might be simpler; the movie seems a lot more difficult to follow. Unfortunately, for her. I think QoS might have left a bad taste in her mouth. However, she is interested in watching all of them eventually. I think she'll like them as she has an appreciation for the classics.

On my own, though, it was Goldeneye. I recently finished the story mode of Goldeneye Reloaded (Xbox 360) and wanted to brush up on my knowledge of the movie.

I might watch TSWLM tonight. It depends on how tired I am when I decide to get off here for the night.
    007_Matt wrote:
    Quantum of Solace

Unfortunately... My girlfriend hasn't (until last week) seen any Bond movies. So, I started her off with CR since that was the movie that really got me interested. She really liked CR and was really excited to watch QoS. I didn't tell her how much of a let down it was beforehand. I didn't want her to go into it with a negative filter. Needless to say, about 45 minutes in she was complaining about it being difficult to follow. I totally agree. In my opinion, even CR takes a couple viewings to completely understand what's going on and although the QoS plot might be simpler; the movie seems a lot more difficult to follow. Unfortunately, for her. I think QoS might have left a bad taste in her mouth. However, she is interested in watching all of them eventually. I think she'll like them as she has an appreciation for the classics.

On my own, though, it was Goldeneye. I recently finished the story mode of Goldeneye Reloaded (Xbox 360) and wanted to brush up on my knowledge of the movie.

I might watch TSWLM tonight. It depends on how tired I am when I decide to get off here for the night.

=)) I'm sorry, but as much as I love the Bond films I wouldn't consider any except maybe DN, or FRWL to be "classic".
    007_Matt wrote:
    Quantum of Solace

=)) I'm sorry, but as much as I love the Bond films I wouldn't consider any except maybe DN, or FRWL to be "classic".

All the Moore movies are classics IMO. And what about GF, TB YOLT and DAF?