Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    But Goldfinger has Honor Blackman in it - named Pussy Galore for christ sake. How can you not like it! @-) @-)

Oh don't get me started on Miss Galore, if I were to re-do Goldfinger, she'd die at the end! >:) I just can't stand her, she's possibly the worst Bond girl ever to walk the screen, even worse than Jinx, which I'll get slaughtered for saying that I'm sure, but that shows how much I dislike Miss Galore! One of the worst things about Goldfinger for sure.
    She had such a cool accent though!
    'Just keep taking it eeeeeeezay.'

This was the one time in the whole series where the Bond girl was older than Bond if I'm not mistaken? They should try that again sometime
    She had such a cool accent though!
    'Just keep taking it eeeeeeezay.'

This was the one time in the whole series where the Bond girl was older than Bond if I'm not mistaken? They should try that again sometime

I'd be down with this, as long as the girl is attractive! Hahaha. The one thing that I do not ever want to happen again is for a Bond girl to be all "I can do things myself/I'm a woman/don't treat me like a child." My goodness, Wai Lin, Christmas Jones, Galore, and Holly Goodhead especially annoyed me because of this. Just shut up and play the role of a Bond Girl already! After all, they always find themselves in Bond's arms at the end anyway! Even Galore wasn't immune to Bond's charm!
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    But Goldfinger has Honor Blackman in it - named Pussy Galore for christ sake. How can you not like it! @-) @-)

Oh don't get me started on Miss Galore, if I were to re-do Goldfinger, she'd die at the end! >:) I just can't stand her, she's possibly the worst Bond girl ever to walk the screen, even worse than Jinx

@-) @-) @-) :-O :O
    lol I agree- that's a bit harsh. Pussy was a good Bond girl. Not my favorite, but FAR better than Jinx, good god....
    I don't get why so many here hate Jinx. She is not my favorite, but I think she is ok atleast. And I like Pussy Galore (and think she was hot too).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Jinx would've been great as the turncoat, but instead she is the goody goody who never dies! Why couldn't Rosamund be Jinx, or switch the names of the Bond girl and villainess as well as actresses??
    One way they could have made Jinx better in DAD:

She should have been a henchman-- she even could have turned good at the end à la Jaws or May Day

....or then again, another way: kill her
    Thunderball

I really enjoyed TB this time around, even more than my previous viewings. It's such a big-time, exotic, explosive Bond adventure that really out-does its predecessor in every aspect. TB is very top-ten worthy, you've got a large lot of villains, Sean Connery in one of his finest performances, an epic John Barry soundtrack, truely Bondian locations, good action sequences, and so much more. Along with FRWL and DAF, it's in my top three Connery Bonds.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    00Beast wrote:
    Thunderball

I really enjoyed TB this time around, even more than my previous viewings. It's such a big-time, exotic, explosive Bond adventure that really out-does its predecessor in every aspect. TB is very top-ten worthy, you've got a large lot of villains, Sean Connery in one of his finest performances, an epic John Barry soundtrack, truely Bondian locations, good action sequences, and so much more. Along with FRWL and DAF, it's in my top three Connery Bonds.
    My #2 Connery. Pure exotic fun, and the film does such a good job at making you feel the tensions and risks of nuclear war are real and dangerously high. The scene where all the 00s meet, just purely epic.

00Beast wrote:
    Thunderball

My #2 Connery. Pure exotic fun, and the film does such a good job at making you feel the tensions and risks of nuclear war are real and dangerously high. The scene where all the 00s meet, just purely epic.

It was even more exotic and dangerous this time around, I have no idea why, because I've seen it a thousand times. I just know that I'll have to move it up in my rankings certainly!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 176
    00Beast wrote:
    Thunderball

People always praise TB, but I even though I try, I just don't like it. It's mainly the underwater sequences. I don't like them and they last for too long.

marymoss wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    Thunderball

People always praise TB, but I even though I try, I just don't like it. It's mainly the underwater sequences. I don't like them and they last for too long.

Yes, they do last too long, but I enjoy them for the most part. The only one I hate is when Largo and his SPECTRE buddies are recovering the warheads from the plane. Ugh! That lasts FOREVER!
    Agreed on that-- the music doesn't help either. Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

NSNA has a similar problem with water scenes
    Agreed on that-- the music doesn't help either. Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

NSNA has a similar problem with water scenes

Somewhat, though NSNA's water scenes aren't as long and dragging, at least I didn't think so. Of course, I'd much rather watch Thunderball!
    You Only Live Twice

A lot better than I found it to be last time, surprisingly! I really enjoyed the action sequences and realized just how action-packed YOLT actually is. I almost watched it in a completely different light, except of course for lackluster Connery and the boring locations. Still though, some parts of the soundtrack actually surprised me as being very good, and the action was a lot better than I had previously remembered. What makes the movie so outstanding for me is the climax in the volcano base. MAN! That's worth looking forward to! I'll most likely move it up in the rankings, it's certainly more entertaining than I thought.
    James Bond 'turns Japanese' etc, they should of had The Vapors do the music that year, not Nancy Sinatra, but in all seriousness Ms Sinatra did an excellent job with the sounds for that release

I always found the ending at the volcano base a bit dull actually, but overall it's not a bad film to waste a couple of hours on, Connery certainly looked the part there than he did in Diamonds
    TLD

My main consensus for Dalton's Bond and respective films have always been this: I am not blown away, but I am also not angered or disappointed. The Dalton films for me are just "good" films, and would place somewhere in the middle of the pack, because like I said, they do not blow me away but aren't anywhere near horrible. I quite like Dalton as Bond and liked that he took it as serious as any previous role he had and gave it his all. I'm quite sad about the issues that led to his disbandment from the franchise because he had more potential for future films and we could've had him in the role until at least 1999 if he wished it. Anyway, TLD as a film is "good". There is a few cool actions scenes, especially near the end which is action all globbed together for the last 30 minutes of the film, and I love the Afghanistan jail fight, showing some Dalton style Bond fisticuffs. The villains are very memorable or arcane enough to really come off as frightening or dangerous men, but the plot was interesting and I liked Kara very much. He's no Connery, but Dalton holds the film well and is a nice chap to boot outside the role, which is more than I can say for some people...
    576px-GeorgeLazenby11.14.08ByLuigiNovi.jpg
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,598
    saunders wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

I think Dr. No has the right balance of action and humour. I wish the contemporary Bond films had the same balance of action, dialogue and humour. Or atleast similar to FRWL.

Although I like DN very much, for my taste it's lacking in both the humour and action departments. I do agree the contemporary films seem to struggle to find the correct balance but I wouldn't hold DN up as a shinning example, I would of thought FRWL and OHMSS are far better examples of doing Bond well.

FRWL and OHMSS are good examples, especially since they're my two favourite Bond films. :) I don't think Dr. No is lacking in humour or action though. It's very Flemingsque, which I love.

James Bond 'turns Japanese' etc, they should of had The Vapors do the music that year, not Nancy Sinatra, but in all seriousness Ms Sinatra did an excellent job with the sounds for that release

I always found the ending at the volcano base a bit dull actually, but overall it's not a bad film to waste a couple of hours on, Connery certainly looked the part there than he did in Diamonds

Ugh...I hated his Japanese "disguise." YEAH RIGHT! Some disguise that was! It fell apart as he and Kissy were climbing up the mountain. Fun fact, in case you didn't know, but Kissy Suzuki was never named in the movie. Only the credits reveal her name to us!
    "I always found the ending at the volcano base a bit dull actually"

Same here. I feel the same way about most of the big battles at the end of the Bond films - TSWLM, MR, TB and even the odd smaller battles like in TND and TWINE.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    MR - What a fantastic masterpiece! I put it back where it belongs, at number two on my Bond list. And what a great villain and plan!

I watched TMWTGG afterwards, and I got to say that it is actually a serious Bond movie. It's very serious and realistic, atleast it feels like this after watching MR, which is more entertaining than TMWTGG (MR must be the funniest Bond movie.)
    LTK

If I was going to watch TLD I might as well have seen this too. It was better than the last time I saw it, and like TLD it didn't rave me the way Sean could as Bond, but didn't disappoint me either. The film is pretty solid. Great drama, minus some weird kissing between Della and Bond, which is ironically enough being discussed now in a separate thread. A fun PTS with great action, an ok song for the theme, and I like to see the whole opening setting of the film being Bond being best man at Felix's wedding. One thing I found weird was Felix's command to Bond to stay back as they went after Sanchez. Hey Felix, who has the 00 number again? Yeah, that's right, Bond does. And it's your wedding day anyway. Think how much more tragic it would be to be gunned down before your wedding, or after it for that matter, something Bond has experience with. The characters for the most part are great. I love Pam, for her independent nature and her ability to handle anyone that comes at her with barred teeth. Lupe is okay, but comes off as more of a show and tell Bond girl than anything, and I find her annoying. Especially when she calls on Pam and Q for help to save Bond because she "just loves James so much". Don't know how that is possible as she only just saw the guy that very week and only slept with him once, but it's Bond so who cares. His very natural aroma is a pheromone I guess. I hate Robert Brown's M, which isn't a shocker as comes off as more of an annoying boss than a hard man who you can cajole with like the supreme Bernard Lee M. Bliss's Moneypenny makes me want to gouge out my eyes. In TLD she was absent enough to go forgotten, but here she blinks with lights that say IT IS GOING TO BE COMPLETELY EVIDENT THAT IS SECRETLY LOVE BOND BECAUSE I HAVE SPENT ALL THIS TIME TRYING TO FIND HIM SO THAT I CAN SEE HIM AGAIN BECAUSE HE IS ALL I HAVE TO LIVE FOR ANYMORE EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO CONCEIVABLE CHANCE OF EITHER OF US GETTING TOGETHER BECAUSE HE IS JUST A TEASE AND SHAGS ENOUGH GIRLS ON HIS MISSIONS THAT HAVE MORE SEX APPEAL THAN I COULD EVER HOPE TO HAVE. Or something like that. I could understand if the relationship between Bond and MP was more like that of Sean and Maxwell, that playful teasing flirtation. Here it is so evident MP has lovey dovey eyes for Bond that she is practically salivating. Anyway, as for allies I really like Bond's partial companion Sharky, and every time his off screen death and appearance as a corpse in front of Bond's eyes pains me. This film is great at getting you to love the characters and then takes then away menacingly. Sanchez is a good villain, so underrated, and Davi solidly shows that sinister trait of the character well throughout. Q is AMAZING in this film, but of course he is always amazing. This ranks as one of my top performances by Desmond. Q gets to go in the field again and get into some pretty fun situations and really help Bond outside of just giving him gadgets. I found myself saying "Q is a boss" more than once, and one of my favorite scenes is when they are in the hotel in Isthmus City and Bond after being denied a bed with Pam says "I hope you don't snore Q". Another great scene is near the beginning where Della is told by Felix that Bond was "married once, but that was a long time ago" disproving that stupid "James Bond is only a name argument", and adds emotion to the scene that Tim always pulls off well. In addition Killifer's death at Bond's hand is great, though Sanchez should've died that way. One of Tim's best lines and makes me smile every time. The action is really strong in this one, with notable moments being the bar fight that shows Bond can kick butt but also get crammed, the Wavekrest shootout, the fight in Sanchez's factory, and of course the amazing climax. The entire sequence where Bond chases after the tankers and Sanchez is one of the best in the series in my opinion, and is amazingly thrilling. The only thing about the climax I don't like is Sanchez's death. I would have much rather preferred Bond strangling him as Sanchez's hands go limp or something, and instead of showing him the lighter I would have wanted Bond to say "this is for Felix and Della" or something like that. All in all, I didn't enjoy this films as much as TLD upon this watching, but that doesn't make it any lesser of a film. Tim is great, as well as Davi and Desmond in one of his finest appearances. The allies are great and the action is really thrilling. The story can get lost in the shuffle of the revenge plot at times, but moments like Bond's infiltration into Sanchez's inner crew and the framing of Krest keep it all afloat. And the film ends quite pleasantly as Bond makes a great decision in going with the awesome Pam over Lupe, who like I said never really enticed me in any way. I love Q's departing look, like a father telling his son "good job sport", and then the father pats the son on the back for a decision well made. If anything LTK shows Daltons raw potential and it's a shame we got Pierce "my only good film is GE" Brosnan to appear in the next two decades. Tim is still bolted at #3 in my Bond actor rankings, which like my ranking for anything hardly ever change. He isn't the supreme Master that is Sean, and he may not have a better balance of killer and everyman than Dan has, but he took the role seriously and did the character, especially that of the literary James Bond, justice.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    enter_key.jpg

Good review and I agree
    Also the death of Sanchez you describe would have been neat to see as well!
    Hahaha @Master_Dahark, sorry about that. I just assumed that if you pressed enter to separate the text the final post would just revert it back to an aligned text. :D
    Nice review Brady! Nice to see some satisfaction in LTK!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Public domain my friend! I've got plen
    00Beast wrote:
    You Only Live Twice

A lot better than I found it to be last time, surprisingly! I really enjoyed the action sequences and realized just how action-packed YOLT actually is. I almost watched it in a completely different light, except of course for lackluster Connery and the boring locations. Still though, some parts of the soundtrack actually surprised me as being very good, and the action was a lot better than I had previously remembered. What makes the movie so outstanding for me is the climax in the volcano base. MAN! That's worth looking forward to! I'll most likely move it up in the rankings, it's certainly more entertaining than I thought.

Good to hear some love for YOLT! The climax with the ninjas is incredible. I'm also a fan of the boat docks fight. Tiger Tanaka is also an excellent ally. I'm glad to hear you are warming up to the score. I, like you, used to despise the theme song. I think what killed it for me was Nancy Sinatra's singing (I have sinced warmed up to it). But underneath that is a brilliant, classic John Barry score, full of little details and stirring melodies.

Bond teasers aside, (looks like it's the news item of the night now and anything else goes by the wayside) last Bond film I saw was Live and Let Die a few hours ago, as suggested previous

No words are necessary here, it's a damn fine outing and has nearly everything you could ask for in a Bond movie, you never get bored watching it. 9.5/10
    I just watched the above film again before I came on, and didn't move out of my seat once while it was on. Now that's a sign of a good Bond movie surely. The action never lets up and I honestly can say I didn't feel bored or let down once during it's screentime. A third viewing in as many days seems unlikely, but it never disappoints and fully justifies my favorite Bond award
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 643
    Octopussy (1983)

A film that grows on me each time I watch it. What is there to say? Octopussy truly is a great movie. It has everything you'd expect in a Bond film and so much more. I'm looking at my rankings and kick myself that Octopussy is not higher than 8th because I believe it is that good. Quite simply a wonderful film for so many reasons

Roger Moore looks very comfortable here, how James bond should be. Look when he comes into the Indian casino and introduces himself...so assured and calm. The storyline ranks as one of the best aswell, never letting up in tension and suspense and this fantastic plot is complimented splendidly by great action sequences.

The Pre-credits sequence is a masterpiece and classic Bond. A bit of humour to start, getting caught, escaping and then using a classing Bond mode of transport to escape. The flying is superb and keeps you gripped and the sequence ends with a cheeky Bond moment that is classic Moore (again highlighting that he was the right man to play Bond at this stage, even being 56 years of age).

The theme tune is sensual, though I wouldn't say it's my all-time favourite. The soundtrack is classic John Barry with some memorable little tunes. Definetly pulled the stops out for this one and I believe this was his last great Bond soundtrack as AVTAK and TLD never compared.

the locations are stunning and plunge you not only into the deep exotic locations that the Bond films are known for but also, the film takes you behind the Iron Curtain in Berlin and Karl Marx Stadt, giving the film authenticity to compliment it's plot.

One of the things that does constantly improve with each viewing and something I didn't used to like was Maud Adams as Octopussy. I used to think someone else could have come in to play the role. I was wrong...she is fantastic in the role, bringing the required mystery and elegance to the table. Her and Bond have a mature romance (wouldn't really call Bond romances with people like Honey, Solitaire, Goodnight 'mature) and they play well against each other. Stunning support from the other Octopussy ladies aswell

Quite simply, Octopussy is a classic film because it works on every single level. Those who dismiss Moore as a joke or not good enough simply need to watch this again. There are moments of light relief and quips which are classic Moore. but ultimately, there are moments of real tension and superb acting by Moore. The chase through the jungle is captivating and you can sense there is real danger of being caught. Bond is dishevelled and running for his life and Moore's acting and the superb editing of the film really draw you in. From the moment Bond hits Germany, the tension and climax build and build and arguably, the whole period in Germany from start to finish could be the most consistently entertaining and tense period of any James Bond film. you can really see the sense of anger about the Khan and Orlov's plan, there are no quips of taking things easy here. The fight scenes on the roof of the train are gripping and Bond's race against time is impeccable. Moore carries this superbly and his panic and sense of hurry, like I have stated, really draws you in. I've said previously tonight that the clown scene is inspired stuff. Those who mock it just watch it again. This is a Bond who is desperate, willing to do anything to save the world, using any means necessary. He's not going to get past security as he is. He needs a disguise and the clown outfit is perfect. Even here, there are no jokes, moments of fun. It's just pure panic, Moore running around trying to alert authorities and trying to stop a disaster. The tension is impeccable and really highlights the amazing work done by writers, director and actors.

I really love and enjoy Octopussy, it's a cracking film and those who may not like it as much, watch it again I implore you to because it's a real gem and in it, Bond and the series really do reach an all time high.