The Ugly Face of Capitalism

With reference to the MI6 Confidential article on original Ian Fleming content in the latest novel, am I to understand that, having purchased a copy of the book from Waterstones on the day of publication, I have to now purchase a "Special Edition" from same in order to see this original material? If so, it is nothing short of disgraceful. Consumers are constantly being ripped off in this way by profiteering organisations, whether it be by adding "bonus tracks" to cds or additional written material as is the case here. It's about time this kind of sharp practice was stamped out!

Comments

• edited July 2018 Posts: 7,653
    If they do it with DVD and Bluray, books are not safe either.

You had Stephen Kings the Stand and years later the longer unedited version, I admit I bought both.
    I already had Stepehen Kings' Salem's Lot and I purchased the special edition that contained all writings about Salems' Lot and there was one short story I had not read.

It is nothing new and to be honest I do not mind.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Do as me. Drop Horowitz, and just wait for the genuine collection of Fleming scribblings.

It is like buying a turd with flies on it, just for the flies.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So you're gonna buy it, right, @FlemingFan2?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This is just Capitalism. The ugly face involves pain. Buying another version of something is not pain.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Condemning capitalism for making fanatics buy additional stuff just because it has some added value over the last version is really high-level whining and a prime example of a luxury problem. I'm generally not known as a critic of capitalism, but I'd worry about people not having health care, adequate housing, job safety, schooling for their children etc. before I'd think of the OP's problem as an indication for capitalism's failure to satisfy the people's needs.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Condemning capitalism for making fanatics buy additional stuff just because it has some added value over the last version is really high-level whining and a prime example of a luxury problem. I'm generally not known as a critic of capitalism, but I'd worry about people not having health care, adequate housing, job safety, schooling for their children etc. before I'd think of the OP's problem as an indication for capitalism's failure to satisfy the people's needs.

I agree. Electricity bills could be added to the list, among other things. The premise seems worthwhile, but the topic chosen is laughable.
  • pking_3pking_3 Punting under the Bridge of Sighs
    The promise of capitalism is that if there is no demand for such special editions, such practices will be wiped out by the market, as you want.

But if there is demand, your wants should and will be ignored by the market.

Embrace your capitalist toolhood, comrade.