"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

1-1!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    That man Mina again
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,447
    Thank beep beep for that, ENGLAND through
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Congrats to the English team...for finally(!) winning a penalty shooting.
    I switched it off I could not watch, I have seen England lose so many shoot outs over the years. (not including Spain 96)
  • RC7RC7
    We did it. They displayed the textbook South American culture of filth throughout, so despite us not really commanding the game, it’s a just result. They were filth and we won. See you next time, Colombia.
    Good riddance Columbia

England did ok for periods, Kane was excellent though he needs help, the likes of Sterling, Alli and Lingard need to improve.
    This is the easy side of the draw.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    At least England played football, unlike Columbia. Well played England.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    RC7 wrote: »
    We did it. They displayed the textbook South American culture of filth throughout, so despite us not really commanding the game, it’s a just result. They were filth and we won. See you next time, Colombia.

Indeed. Colombia were a disgrace. But football won in the end.
    I would like to send both England & Colombia home and get Japa back at least they wanted to play football.

As for Switzerland - Sweden they put me to sleep, there was one highlight everybody seems to agree on, The goal, there was booooooooooooring.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I would like to send both England & Colombia home and get Japa back at least they wanted to play football.

As for Switzerland - Sweden they put me to sleep, there was one highlight everybody seems to agree on, The goal, there was booooooooooooring.

I’m sure you would. That won’t happen. Colombia were filth.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 7,500

I am sure you think so. You have said it three times now...
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

I am sure you think so. You have said it three times now...

You must be delighted.
    Nothing needs to be said three times now, especially when it's unpleasant @RC7
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Fair play to England. To come through that, with all the tricks etc that Colombia threw at them showed tremendous character. Seems to have been a big feature of 3 of the 4 English games, dirty tactics from Tunisia, Panama and now Colombia. However, England have come through triumphant and to get that penalty shootout win under such pressure...fantastic. Oh, although Jordan Henderson (and I support Liverpool) must be gutted he’s missed out on a Pizza Hut advert,
    To be fair when Colombia started to play football around the 80th minute onward they were very good, had they not so overestimated England and played football the whole match I am sure England would have been on their way home.

Colombia payed with their awful tactics the right price, but still England were football wise not very impressive. I do rate the Swedish higher.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I had high hopes for this game, but it was a dreadful game on both ends. By far the dullest game of the last 16.
    It's a bit to play proper football when Colombia are doing their "antics". Ironic thing is, when Colombia started playing football - as opposed to thuggery, wrestling, the dark arts etc - they looked quite dangerous.
    royale65 wrote: »
    It's a bit to play proper football when Colombia are doing their "antics". Ironic thing is, when Colombia started playing football - as opposed to thuggery, wrestling, the dark arts etc - they looked quite dangerous.

Don’t understand why they copied Panama’s holding tactics in the penalty box when they’d have seen how that ended.
  • RC7RC7
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Nothing needs to be said three times now, especially when it's unpleasant @RC7

Filth, mate.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Was delighted to see England come through with a win against Columbia.
    Some good play from several, not least two brilliant saves from Pickford.
    Accolades I feel must also be placed upon Gareth Southgate. Seems very level headed and maybe the England manager that could actually deliver.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just need to see them carving a few chances out. I like the steady approach and the way they keep the ball (different to previous years). But sometimes they need to utilise that pace and get behind defences.
    After seeing Columbia with their antics? I think VAR should be used for retrospective punishment? Whether it is faking injury or seriously scuffing the penalty spot.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,308
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    After seeing Columbia with their antics? I think VAR should be used for retrospective punishment? Whether it is faking injury or seriously scuffing the penalty spot.

Then Neymar should be in trouble.
    Yarp, hopefully with the introduction of VAR, they can eliminate the cynicism and histrionics that ruin the beautiful game.
    It would be great, but I somehow don't think FIFA would do so to a world star like Neymar. A Panama defender, sure - but the world's most expensive player? Unlikely.

Without a doubt, 1st it was Rivaldo and now Neymar with the fake injuries. I have no respect for Brazil anymore as they do not have respect for the game that their legendary past generations had for it. I will be supporting Belgium Friday night that's for sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2018 Posts: 13,894
    I don't follow football, but I guess I should congratulate you lot across the border. Congratulations. Although the way it has been everywhere I turn, I was expecting you to have stuffed Colombia like a Christmas turkey.

Without a doubt, 1st it was Rivaldo and now Neymar with the fake injuries. I have no respect for Brazil anymore as they do not have respect for the game that their legendary past generations had for it. I will be supporting Belgium Friday night that's for sure.

You and me both!