The Crown (Netflix Original)

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2019 Posts: 17,727
    I know he's more of a minor figure but does my favourite British prime minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home/Lord Home feature much in Season Two? Or will he feature more in Season Three?

I've seen a bit of Season One on DVD and I need to get back to watching the rest of it!
  • I'm afraid Sir Alec only gets a mention at the end of Season 2; and he might be a figure in the background around the cabinet table in one shot earlier on. Whether we'll see him kick-off the next season (briefly, of course) and witness the former 14th Earl of Home take on the "14th Mr Wilson" (a great line that) I'm not sure.

You are something of a rarity I would think @Dragonpol. May I ask why Sir Alec Douglas-Home gets the nod as your favourite PM?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Is there an episode where the Queen pours a bottle of ink on her head during her early years? Or was that a different show?
  • Is there an episode where the Queen pours a bottle of ink on her head during her early years? Or was that a different show?

There wasn't, but there should have been! That story comes from her governess, Marian Crawford ('Crawfie') who broke something of a code of honour by writing about her time spent educating the young Lillibet and Margaret. I wonder where you saw that on TV?

Thanks also for the link to the Variety article. The ability to be "both plain and dazzling" is an interesting way of looking to cast the Queen. I think that's pretty perceptive, actually. Olivia Coleman will do a great job, I'm sure.

edited April 2018 Posts: 3,675
    I know that it was something about the Queen. She got mad at Margaret. What the heck? Did I dream it?

Either that or it was a girl who looked exactly like a young QEII in a blue coat in a study hall just like in The Crown. Maybe I'm going insane, but I know I saw it! Gah. It's going to drive me mad now.
  • So we now have cast confirmations:

Olivia Colman - QEII
    Tobias Menzies - Prince Philip
    Helena Bonham-Carter - Princess Margaret
    Jason Watkins - Harold Wilson

Looks pretty strong to me...
    Watkins as Wilson is brilliant casting
  • Josh O'Connor from The Durrells as Prince Charles. Haven't seen The Durrells, so hope he'll be a good fit:

dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5711075/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Josh-OConnor-play-young-Prince-Charles-Netflix-drama-Crown.html
    I forget. I know Douglas-Hume becomes Prime Minister at the end of Season 2, but do we actually see him do any Prime Ministering?
  • I forget. I know Douglas-Hume becomes Prime Minister at the end of Season 2, but do we actually see him do any Prime Ministering?

No, we don't. In fact we don't see him at all. We see the end of his predecessor, Harold MacMillan, and the Queen refers to 'Alec' as an old friend of the family, but we get no actual Sir Alec Douglas-Home appearance.

Will he pop up in Season 3 or will they head straight to Harold Wilson?

Douglas-Home is always the 20th century prime minister people forget when trying to list them. He was only in Number 10 a year (Oct 1963-Oct 1964). A likeable man though, if a bit of an anachronism by the 1960s. I hope they don't skip him completely.
    I forget. I know Douglas-Hume becomes Prime Minister at the end of Season 2, but do we actually see him do any Prime Ministering?

No, we don't. In fact we don't see him at all. We see the end of his predecessor, Harold MacMillan, and the Queen refers to 'Alec' as an old friend of the family, but we get no actual Sir Alec Douglas-Home appearance.

Will he pop up in Season 3 or will they head straight to Harold Wilson?

Douglas-Home is always the 20th century prime minister people forget when trying to list them. He was only in Number 10 a year (Oct 1963-Oct 1964). A likeable man though, if a bit of an anachronism by the 1960s. I hope they don't skip him completely.

Are you sure? An IMDb search has him popping up in "Dear Mrs Kennedy" and "Mystery Man", episodes 8 and 10 of Season 2, respectively.
  • Pretty sure. I can only assume he was cut from the finished episodes. Of course, he might have been in the background in a non-speaking role. Indeed, it has been said that he was at the cabinet table in the MacMillan years, which might be what the IMDB entry refers to. I could be wrong, but I don't think Alec Douglas-Home gets a line so far in The Crown.
    @Jones_The_Bond, what do you think about Olivia Colman's casting?
  • @Jones_The_Bond, what do you think about Olivia Colman's casting?

Following Claire Foy is going to be immensely difficult, but Olivia Colman is hugely respected, and someone has to take up Foy's dropped sceptre, so why not Colman? Everyone says she will be brilliant, so fingers crossed. The fact that the whole cast is changing will, oddly, help her I think. She's not the only one in that situation. I saw her play QE II's mother in Hyde Park on Hudson so it'll take a while for me to get the Queen Mother vibe out of my mind, but when I see Colman surrounded by corgis, I'm sure everything will click into place.

What do you think @PropertyOfALady ?

Watching her in Broadchurch on Netflix now. Should be quite the jolt from hard-working detective to Sovreign, but I am optimistic. She said in a recent interview that she would watch Foy's portrayal closely to help with the mannerisms. I have faith in Nina Gold and Robert Sterne to get it right.
  • Lots to chew on there. 1964-1976 means the season will end with Wilson's resignation. I'm glad of that. In some ways, Harold Wilson's second stint as PM (74-76) lends itself to more personal drama: his increasing espionage-tinged paranoia, and apparently fading health in this period I have always found fascinating. The Queen's relationship with Wilson was probably the fondest since Churchill, so let's hope that Colman and Watkins have decent chemistry.

Some lucky actor is going to get an absolute peach of a role in Sir Anthony Blunt. It's all going to get a bit spy-catcher in the following seasons, which I'm sure this site in particular, will revel in!

Do we have any casting news of Edward Heath yet?
  • I suppose there is one very obvious plot point on the way involving Princess Anne. The Crown is a rather awkward show to discuss before a season airs because there is a thin line between history and spoilers. What for a British person (or someone who has followed 20th century British history) is an obvious, well known, historical event, might, for someone elsewhere in the world, be a bit of a spoiler.

Ben Daniels looks to be a good bit of casting.
  • First image of Olivia Colman as the Queen.

hswsmo0wi9a11.jpg
    Olivia Colman plays another, much crazier queen, in The Favorite. Queen Anne, to be precise

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Finished it now. Superb piece of television, and a wonderful slice of the early 1950s. It really brings it home just how long she has been on the throne that she is fretting in this on what she could possibly say to President Eisenhower. Before her coronation she also met with Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman. She has met every president since - with the sole exception of Lyndon Johnson. The history she has seen!

Already seen a few photographs of the filming of the second series. It's Supermac time.

Why didn't she ever meet with Johnson? Just scheduling?
  • echo wrote: »
    Finished it now. Superb piece of television, and a wonderful slice of the early 1950s. It really brings it home just how long she has been on the throne that she is fretting in this on what she could possibly say to President Eisenhower. Before her coronation she also met with Herbert Hoover and Harry Truman. She has met every president since - with the sole exception of Lyndon Johnson. The history she has seen!

Already seen a few photographs of the filming of the second series. It's Supermac time.

Why didn't she ever meet with Johnson? Just scheduling?

Pretty much. Johnson never made a state visit to Europe, and indeed made only one during his entire presidency. He concentrated much more on domestic policy, but, of course, it was international matters which ultimately brought him down.

Prince Philip met Johnson at President Kennedy's funeral. The Queen did not attend as she was pregnant with Prince Edward. Johnson did meet our new Season 3 prime minister, Harold Wilson, who visited the White House in 1964.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is season three filming currently? I want to check this show out eventually, and while I've been looking for a new show to get into, I also kind of want to wait so I can binge through all three seasons. Curious whether or not it'll have a 2018 or 2019 release.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I find Edward VIII most vile!

The actor is brilliant. Love to hate him!
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Is season three filming currently? I want to check this show out eventually, and while I've been looking for a new show to get into, I also kind of want to wait so I can binge through all three seasons. Curious whether or not it'll have a 2018 or 2019 release.

They've just started filming season three. One word accompanied the released image of Olivia Colman: 'Patience.' That pretty much confirms a 2019 release date, I would have thought.
  • echo wrote: »
    I find Edward VIII most vile!

The actor is brilliant. Love to hate him!

Yes, just how good was Alex Jennings? Superb performance as usual from him. He is also good in Victoria, The Queen, and as the MP Peter Bessell in the recent show about Jeremy Thorpe (I'm sure there will be a passing mention of Thorpe in The Crown at some point) A Very English Scandal.

Just saw the Olivia Colman episode of Who Do You Think You Are?. What a lovely person she seems to be. There is going to be so much pressure on her, replacing Claire Foy, but I think she is going to be wonderful.
  • Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret:

DiYLOwLWAAAX-BU.jpg:large

Actually, what I blithered on about 'patience' in a previous post should probably be ignored. The Margaret image also appeared with a one word description: Hope. It's still likely that we won't see Season 3 until 2019, though.