"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Was just thinking I hope they play this way against us, Belgium very lacklustre
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,335
    2-0. Belgium winning this with a great goal by Mertens and great pass from de Brruyne for the second one - although they haven't been fantastic in their overall performance.

…and posting this Lukaku makes it 3-0.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Here comes the cricket score 3 up now
    Here comes the cricket score 3 up now

Panama did their best keeping Belgium from scoring. The difference between the teams showing now after 70 mins.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,530
    England Line up...

1Pickford
    2Walker
    5Stones
    6Maguire
    8Henderson
    12Trippier
    7Lingard
    20Alli
    18Young
    9Kane
    10Sterling

Rose fitness must be keeping him from starting
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jobo wrote: »
    Do I remember incorrectly, or were there quite a lot of englishmen on here cheering for Wales in the Euroes?
    Yes you do remember incorrectly.
    NicNac wrote: »
    YESS!!! Come on, Sweden!
    Ridiculous Sir!!

I just imagine a Scotsman saying that about England or vice versa and it’s just wrong.

If this was cross country skiing we would be rivals to death! But in football we know how much Scanfinavia is lagging behind, and we tend to support any team that can perform decently.

Do I remember incorrectly, or were there quite a lot of englishmen on here cheering for Wales in the Euroes?

I don't think the English feel the same antagonism towards fellow Brits as they do towards the English. Probably because England dominates in population size, country size and has the British parliament in London.

When the Scots say they want independence from Britain what they mean is they want independence from England.

So, yes we English don't mind the Welsh doing well, even the Irish. The Scots not so much. There's a lot more rivalry between these two countries. But it's been such a long time since Scotland have been any damned good at football that I've personally forgotten all about said rivalries.
    Speak for yourself Sir.

You’re right when you say they all hate us whereas we just consider them an irrelevance. An English tax guzzling irrelevance, but an irrelevance nonetheless.

As for football I would support them all to qualify (although getting beat by the Faroes is never not funny) as it’s good for us all to be there. But once they are there there’s nothing funnier than seeing the Jocks exit at the group stage with their usual plucky performance against the good team in the group but ultimately losing, draw against the average team in the group and then when all they have to is beat the minnow to go through they get turned over. Warms the cockles of your heart.
    Oh dear this England has won the world cup crap video on BBC is cringe worthy
    COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!
    That’s a disgusting non finish from Sterling. How much is this guy paid? Pretty sure it’s north of 200k.

Even Heskey would ashamed at that.
    GET IN!

Sterling is garbage in front of goal for England
    England should be two or three ahead, need that second goal
    1-1!
    Soft penalty
    Harry wrestled to the fucking ground!!! Where the fuck is the magical VAR that was going to eliminate all such injustices?

Or is that all except ones against England whom FIFA despises?

Yes, of course it's all a conspiracy! Putin's work no doubt!
    Fantasy question: is Trippier a rotation risk?
    Unbelievable
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Harry wrestled to the fucking ground!!! Where the fuck is the magical VAR that was going to eliminate all such injustices?

If you can explain to me the difference between the penalty given in the Croatia v Nigeria game and the defender with twos arms round Harry and dragging him to the ground five minutes ago I’d be much obliged as I’m clearly to thick to understand the nuances between the two.

VAR has changed nothing to be honest. Some things it blows up for some it totally ignores.

I’ll be interested to see what they make of it at half time.
  • RC7RC7

Laughable.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 7,505

If you can explain to me the difference between the penalty given in the Croatia v Nigeria game and the defender with twos arms round Harry and dragging him to the ground five minutes ago I’d be much obliged as I’m clearly to thick to understand the nuances between the two.

VAR has changed nothing to be honest. Some things it blows up for some it totally ignores.

I’ll be interested to see what they make of it at half time.

35 minutes in, and we had the first conspiracy theory. ;)) You English are cute, I give you that.

I do agree that VAR has been confusing though. It is not the first blatantly wrong and important desicion in this tournament where they choose not to use it for some reason. If some desicions are double checked and some are not, you are asking for controversy...
    Kane not getting a penalty is a fing joke
  • RC7RC7

I could handle it if VAR wasn’t a thing, but it is, which highlights what a load of shite it is.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »

I could handle it if VAR wasn’t a thing, but it is, which highlights what a load of shite it is.
    Yeah I’m fine with a standard gormless ref missing it but once you make all this big show of VAR then there are no excuses.

Especially when we can all see it.

You notice it’s us that are on the shit end of the stick not the Frogs for example?
    Just happened again its getting ridiculous Kane should have had two penalties
    Sterling easily the most frustrating player, terrible decision making in the final third
    Sterling easily the most frustrating player, terrible decision making in the final third
    Not great in the other two thirds either.

Had one good season when Suarez, Sturridge and Cout were all on fire alongside him and had dined out in it ever since.

Ah Sturridge... wish he was on the sodding bench now. Not to mention Big Andy.

Had one good season when Suarez, Sturridge and Cout were all on fire alongside him and had dined out in it ever since.

Who should play instead?
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Bring Welbz on!

Who should play instead?
    I’d settle for VAR turning up like it was supposed to.
    Tunisia constantly stifling the game frustrating watch
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Get out of jail that!