Would you like to see the return of JW Pepper in the Bond series?

edited April 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,082
Yes or no? Could I please get a poll for this thread?

I wrote this is in another thread:

Bond should steal a boat, the way he did in QOS, to follow someone. In that same boat is JW Pepper sitting, and he screams to the other boats in the same manner as in TMWTGG (things like "Move it, get that piece of jug out of the way " and "let´s go get them, boy"). That would be a great reference and every single Bond fan would love it!
And then Bond should make the spiral jump, but with the boat. Pepper screams and says "I have done that before". Bond answers "So have I, actually". That stunt would have been done for real and the loop sound would return also.

That would make a perfect scene and reference to TMWTGG. How about it?
Of course he could return in another way. I would like to see Clifton James in the role once again.

Comments

• tqbtqb
    no.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Not in one of Craig's bond films amigo
    tqb wrote:
    no.

Why not? It´s a great character, and Craig deserves a great movie, in which JW would be a great addition.

Sadly the time has passed, but JW Pepper should've been given his own spin-off movie franchise.

To think we'd be on Pepper #15 by now!! :-*
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    The legend J.W. Pepper should have appeared in every Moore outing. I feel Pepper and Moore Bond makes 2, thus I can't imagine Pepper in a non-Moore outing. Still he should have had his spin off series... with Monsieur Aubergine too !!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 5,745
    No. The character is as harsh a stereotype as any in the Bond films, and adds absolutely nothing to the script nor the unfolding of events.

The humor is not applicable to a wide audience, and at times, for many he could be found as an annoyance.

There will always be 'controversial' parts of the films that us fans will disagree on, Pepper being one of the most 'controversial'.
    The legend J.W. Pepper should have appeared in every Moore outing. I feel Pepper and Moore Bond makes 2, thus I can't imagine Pepper in a non-Moore outing. Still he should have had his spin off series... with Monsieur Aubergine too !!

Bond should have met JW in Sardinia in TSWLM, where JW was on vaccation.
    In MR he should have been in Rio and then followed Bond into space!
    In FYEO JW appears in Greece, in India in OP and in Paris & San Fransisco in AVTAK.
    JW and Aubergine are awesome characters.

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    No. The character is as harsh a stereotype as any in the Bond films, and adds absolutely nothing to the script nor the unfolding of events.

The humor is not applicable to a wide audience, and at times, for many he could be found as an annoyance.

There will always be 'controversial' parts of the films that us fans will disagree on, Pepper being one of the most 'controversial'.

+1
    As much as he made me laugh? He should stay in the Moore era.
    Would a 90 year-old Sheriff be believable? I'd rather see a cameo from one of the ex-Bonds.
    I liked him in the Moore films, but I think a fat redneck sherrif wouldn't suit Craig or any other Bond.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    If they bring back Pepper, I demand that they put Mr. Miyagi in along with him.
    If they bring back Pepper, I demand that they put Mr. Miyagi in along with him.

:))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondsum wrote:
    Sadly the time has passed, but JW Pepper should've been given his own spin-off movie franchise.

To think we'd be on Pepper #15 by now!! :-*

That actually made me laugh (the Wizard under no circumstances ever writes 'LOL').

And surely its a series with more legs than Jinx. Thank christ we are not waiting with baited breath for Jinx 3.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Poll added.

The answer is no. Two reasons. 1) No-one can play him but Clifton James. 2) Even with Clifton James playing him, I don't want this character outside the Moore era. Even in the Moore era I had trouble with some of his moments...
    JW Pepper is the Jar Jar Binks of the Bond franchise.

Bringing him back is the kind of bonkers idea that Lee Tamahori would have thought of.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    actonsteve wrote:

Difference: Berate him all you like, Jar Jar is tolerable, because in the sequels, he doesn't talk much.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2012 Posts: 9,117
    actonsteve wrote:

No that would be Jinx. Actually I think I might start referring to her as Jar Jar Jinx. Every line that she spews forth certainly jarrs with me.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No. No one can replace Clifton James so let's not even true.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    It's a no from me! Though he still looks good! (if this was taken recently!)

clifton2.jpg

The best they could do is have him walking/jogging in the background! It would be better than the walk i've seen some of those London Underground extras do in the BBC clips tonight!
  • My god No!!!!!!
    No that would be Jinx. Actually I think I might start referring to her as Jar Jar Jinx. Every line that she spews forth certainly jarrs with me.

:-)) :-)) :-))

OK, its her. I will give you that one. I love the speedboat chase in LALD but the bayous of Louisiana is where he belongs and nowhere else. Especially not Bangkok or London during the Olympics.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    He looks older than I thought. When I watched the "Inside LALD & TMWTGG" he looked alot younger. But those were perhaps made in the 1990´s or early 2000´s.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    slyfox wrote:
    clifton2.jpg

Gosh ! J.W. Pepper hasn't changed at all !
    I never noticed the liver spots or skin deterioration in LALD and TMWTGG. Not to mention the missing hair.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NO! 'Nuff said.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    No. Although it's fun to think about who would play him today... Jack Black, maybe?
    no not now - time and place and with the approach of the films now, he would be out of his depth
    J.W. Pepper was a great creation, but like Jaws best left in the past where they worked best.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Pepper was a terrible addition to the two films he was in (not that they would ever have turned out good). Please, for the love of god, don't pollute the series with him ever again.
This discussion has been closed.