Would you like to see the return of JW Pepper in the Bond series?

Comments

• DRESSED_TO_KILLDRESSED_TO_KILL Suspended
    maybe they could bring in a character called "Nanny Papaya" , who acts as a MI6 Stress Relief agent, her job is solely to lift the spirits of a individual agent undergoing harsh times and stress, in this case bond, and she's sent to have sex with bond at his call and command, she eventually becomes known as P, im sure you can figure out why.
  • I think there can be humour for Craig's Bond... but EON must be very careful - Sir Rog humour won't work. I think they should really work closely with DC himself to find the lines and gags that suit him the most. Yes Craig can be humourous, but not all humour works with him.

Yes, you're quite right DC007, I've always found this clip really funny, but he plays it straight, much as @identigraph suggested, if he has someone funny to play off you can see the humour...

God no. Please no!
    Actually, I wouldn't really mind this. I like J. W. Pepper, especially in Live and Let Die. Even so, he was a great return-character in The Man with the Golden Gun, and his humor and relevance was still top notch. I wouldn't want it to get out of hand and have him along Bond's side like Robin is to Batman, but still, it'd be nice to see him at least one more time!
    If you can navigate your way past the damn commercials :-L , I found a link that actually places Sheriff J W in 3rd place of the 'most annoying characters from great films'

Bit harsh I thought, but if castigating Mr Pepper is your thing, then look no further than here, well worth a look too if you can't stand that annoying whiny kid from Terminator II either

http://www.cracked.com/article_18698_the-7-most-irritating-characters-from-otherwise-great-movies_p2.html

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    In a word NO!!!
    If one character from the Moore era could come back it would be Fredrick Gray. Hang on.... Ralph Finnes, name we might recognize, politician hmmm....
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    In a similiar vein what do people think in general about the return to little comedy asides in the middle of action scenes?

You know the kind of thing I mean - the traffic wardens in TWINE, the cyclists falling over in GE, the various Indian townsfolk in OP, the bottle man in TSWLM/MR/FYEO.*

1. Could this sort of thing work in a Daniel Craig film?
    2. Would you like to see it return?

My gut instinct is to say no to both questions.

* I exclude double taking pigeons and camels in this. Although 007RogerMoore and DaltonCraig would love some more of that I think the sane amongst us can agree that they are a bad thing.
    In a similiar vein what do people think in general about the return to little comedy asides in the middle of action scenes?

You know the kind of thing I mean - the traffic wardens in TWINE, the cyclists falling over in GE, the various Indian townsfolk in OP, the bottle man in TSWLM/MR/FYEO.*

1. Could this sort of thing work in a Daniel Craig film?
    2. Would you like to see it return?

My gut instinct is to say no to both questions.

* I exclude double taking pigeons and camels in this. Although 007RogerMoore and DaltonCraig would love some more of that I think the sane amongst us can agree that they are a bad thing.

That sort of humour would be great in a Craig film. I think he could remain the tough 007 that he has portrayed this far, while the movie outside of that contains some funny scenes. I also hope that there are many one-liners and gadgets in the upcoming Craig movies. I know that I don´t seem to be his biggest fan, but that is all towards the movies he has made. I like him very much in the role, but not as much as the king Brosnan. And the pigeons, why not?

And about his movies, especially CR, if they were just normal action movies with Jason Bourne or whoever as the main character, I would enjoy watching them and think that there were good action movies. And I wouldn´t decline an offer to see them again, certainly not QOS. But many of the older movies I watch very often, and that wouldn´t have happened with CR & QOS if they were not Bond movies. And I also think that they don´t fit my definition of Bond very well, that´s all. Craig has nothing but support from me, even though I wouldn´t be too sorry if he left after SF either. I like him, but don´t see him as irreplaceable.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    @ Wizard- good call. I'm all for more Connery-like humor as long as it fits with the scene. I think DC can pull that off.

I will always be dead against slapstick Moore-era humor like those stupid pigeons. It detracted from my enjoyment of Moore's movies, and these things completely ruined Moonraker. The Moore and Brosnan films are sometimes much more comparable to Austin Powers and Matt Helm as a result. And they are not what Bond movies are about by a long shot. The gritty reality of the Connery, Dalton, and Craig films are what Bond should be. They can have a little fantasy, but even then they need to be grounded in reality.

@ 007RM- You have to look at DAF, CR, and QOS in a different light to truly understand them and all the positives about them. DAF is much better if you can separate it from OHMSS. CR/QOS are not supposed to be the "definition" of Bond as we know him, but were made to show how Bond became Bond. If you can wrap your head around that, you'll find them more enjoyable. Those who can't or won't accept that will never like them.

@ 007RM- You have to look at DAF, CR, and QOS in a different light to truly understand them and all the positives about them. DAF is much better if you can separate it from OHMSS. CR/QOS are not supposed to be the "definition" of Bond as we know him, but were made to show how Bond became Bond. If you can wrap your head around that, you'll find them more enjoyable. Those who can't or won't accept that will never like them.

^:)^
    Tom Mankiewicz created a similar character played by the same actor in Superman II.

I will always be dead against slapstick Moore-era humor like those stupid pigeons. It detracted from my enjoyment of Moore's movies, and these things completely ruined Moonraker. The Moore and Brosnan films are sometimes much more comparable to Austin Powers and Matt Helm as a result. And there are not what Bond movies are about by a long shot. The gritty reality of the Connery, Dalton, and Craig films are what Bond should be. They can have a little fantasy, but even then they need to be grounded in reality.

I enjoy CR and QOS as different kind of Bond films, featuring a rookie 007. I like the films, actually. But I still prefer the masterpiece DAD.
    And DAF is better when compared to OHMSS, since I´m not one of the OHMSS purists.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I can't believe this is discussed! The opinions sure as hell are changing over here, JW Pepper would've been lynched here just a couple of years back!
    I love the character though, but never bring back anything, start something new! I'm a fan of Zukovski as well, but I don't want him to return either.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    But I still prefer the masterpiece DAD.

007RM has surpassed even himself in plumbing new depths.

Even more than when I said that TMWTGG is the highlight of all movie making?
    But seriously, they are both masterpieces and incredibly underrated.
    I watch them both often.
    Perhaps Mr 007 RogerMoore was being a bit disingenuous..

Just for the benefit of this thread, I'll say it again and Sheriff Pepper should never be brought back again, he had his time, and from a 21st century perspective, this idea of this character being brought back for a modern day Bond release seems dead in the water. Clifton James would of been fun in Spy or Moonraker though, plenty of scope for antics there again with Roger Moore
    disingenuous..

You must excuse me, gentlemen. Not being English, I sometimes find your choice of words rather difficult to follow.

Well I'm not English either (people may have noticed), but I understand it well enough

You said - 'I prefer the masterpiece that is Die Another Day'

someone took issue with that, so I added 'Mr 007 Roger Moore might not be 100 per cent sincere with his evaluations, maybe he's not telling us all he really knows, not being entirely truthful' etc

If the other hand, you really did think Die Another Day was indeed a masterpiece as you put it, then fair enough, no harm done etc, I do understand some people genuinely like it, but I could never describe it as such a work of art

Roger could not even save TMWTGG. As a kid i was fond of it maybe because its utterly stupid. watched it recently the film is a mess and a wasted opportunity.
    Keep him, and any slapstick characters, out of Bond. Please.

I have to say I bet his passport is stamped with the emblem of the republic of Bonkersland or Dingbatville.

Bless 'im.

Well I'm not English either (people may have noticed), but I understand it well enough

You said - 'I prefer the masterpiece that is Die Another Day'

someone took issue with that, so I added 'Mr 007 Roger Moore might not be 100 per cent sincere with his evaluations, maybe he's not telling us all he really knows, not being entirely truthful' etc

If the other hand, you really did think Die Another Day was indeed a masterpiece as you put it, then fair enough, no harm done etc, I do understand some people genuinely like it, but I could never describe it as such a work of art

Ok, thanks for explaining the meaning of the word for me. But I really think DAD is great. So I´m was not being "disingenuous".

Please. Dont bring Pepper back.NO
    actonsteve wrote:

I have to say I bet his passport is stamped with the emblem of the republic of Bonkersland or Dingbatville.

Bless 'im.

Some people said that Einstein was crazy too. A couple of decades later he was recognised as a genius. This means that later generations will realise how ingenius my opinions are. I am "before my time" so to speak.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Pepper was a mistake, a sin against the simple basics of screenwriting.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If you can navigate your way past the damn commercials :-L , I found a link that actually places Sheriff J W in 3rd place of the 'most annoying characters from great films'

Bit harsh I thought, but if castigating Mr Pepper is your thing, then look no further than here, well worth a look too if you can't stand that annoying whiny kid from Terminator II either

http://www.cracked.com/article_18698_the-7-most-irritating-characters-from-otherwise-great-movies_p2.html

I love cracked. I like the 2nd one on the list: TOD, everyone but Indy. I'd leave out shortround though, he was awesome.

I'm suprised this thread has lasted this long tbh.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Some people said that Einstein was crazy too. A couple of decades later he was recognised as a genius. This means that later generations will realise how ingenius my opinions are. I am "before my time" so to speak.

Einstein, though considered "out there", was still recognized for his intellect, even if people thought he'd gone off the deep end. You, on the other hand, will probably never be recognized for anything close to intellect, and more than likely will pass on before anyone even tries to decipher a message out of the manure you keep tossing around here.

Einstein, though considered "out there", was still recognized for his intellect, even if people thought he'd gone off the deep end. You, on the other hand, will probably never be recognized for anything close to intellect, and more than likely will pass on before anyone even tries to decipher a message out of the manure you keep tossing around here.

I sense a strong degree of jealousy in your post. :D

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    This thread is like the '007RogerMoore stand-up show' :))
This discussion has been closed.