Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

In my controversial opinion, Robert Brown as M is my second favorite after Bernard Lee.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In my controversial opinion, Robert Brown as M is my second favorite after Bernard Lee.

I agree.

I agree.
    2nd time today i totally agree.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The fact that in my Bond world he is a promoted Admiral Hargreaves ,and it all ties in,is a reason i like Brown as M.

Maybe one of the reasons I have mixed feeling about him.
    I like the fact we can either interpret Brown as Hargreaves promoted, or simply Miles Messervy played by a new actor.

Still, he was a good follow up to Lee, IMO. Not quite as tough, but still authoritative.
    I like the fact we can either interpret Brown as Hargreaves promoted, or simply Miles Messervy played by a new actor.

In light of this, how to interpret the fact there is a portrait of Lee in TWINE?

In light of this, how to interpret the fact there is a portrait of Lee in TWINE?

A painter who chose the wrong photo to paint.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    If bond were ever to retire, could he become M

If he kills M, he becomes the new M. Those are the rules.

If he kills M, he becomes the new M. Those are the rules.

Is that Boyle's great idea, possibly? :))
    Birdleson wrote: »

That happened in CR '67. That is also where the code theory occurs. It is also where the Blofeld equivalent (Dr. Noah) turns out to be Bond's nephew. It is where Bond has a grown child that he had never met before. It is also the only film, to date, where Bond dies.

So all of the wacky ideas that have been proposed, and some even put in the EON films, were all developed and used in a movie 51 years ago.

Very, very true. Let's hope CR67 isn't a big source of inspiration going forward.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Bond will never be M....he will keep being Bond until times change,and,God forbid,Bond is no more.
    CR67 was also a huge inspiration for OP.

Frick me ,that is more than contoversial...dont be a pratt Thundy.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    There isn't much of a barrier between the insanity pushed between the two. "Sit", the Tarzan yell, the quick change Gorilla suit thing, Vijay playing the Bond theme on his flute, Octopussy's acrobats assault on Kamal Khan's fortress; all of that is just about as wonky as the stuff in CR '67.

And the rest ? seriously ??? am i entering a twighlight zone here ??
    edited April 2018 Posts: 45,489

Some of the same jokes and gadgets- Bond "mistakes" a younger woman for Moneypenny, wristwatch tv s and pens that squirt gas or acid. Both joke about "poison pen letters".

Vesper is rich and made her money dubiously. There is the Berlin setting. And Mata Bond who lives in an Indian palace full of servants in hindu costumes. There is more, but I haven t watched them in ages.

Some of the same jokes and gadgets- Bond "mistakes" a younger woman for Moneypenny, wristwatch tv s and pens that squirt gas or acid. Both joke about "poison pen letters".

Vesper is rich and made her money dubiously. There is the Berlin setting. And Mata Bond who lives in an Indian palace full of servants in hindu costumes. There is more, but I haven t watched them in ages.

And the rest that OP offers ?

The rest is from Goldfinger.

Oh Thundy....what a load of shite...if it is then it is better than GF...and certainly better than that farce i wont mention
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think if OP shed the sins mentioned by BIRDLESON above, I would be looking at it as top tier Bond, top 5 for sure. As it stands currently it’s above average but not perfect.

Oh Thundy....what a load of shite...if it is then it is better than GF...and certainly better than that farce i wont mention

You have Pussy Galore s Flying Circus and Ocopussy s Circus. They both work for smugglers, of gold and diamonds respectively, who want to detonate an atomic bomb which is defused at the last moment, provided by communists. Both have strong silent henchmen-Oddjob crushes a golfball with his hand, and Gobinda a pair of dice after Bond outsmarts his cheating boss. Both die in a plane sequence towards the end. Both also have an independent pts, where Bond infiltrates and blows up a baddie base.
    No im referring to you saying that CR'67 is better than OP !!

Madness !!!

Madness !!!

What?

Madness !!!

Made me think about Madness doing a Bond theme song!

Madness !!!

What?

Sorry old pal,my mistake,i read it wrong last night....too many voddies methinks.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,090
    The second half of TLD is better than the first half. The first half takes a long to get going, very plot heavy. Even breaking the ice with Kara takes some time. The second half feels more like traditional Bond where nothing needs explaining too much.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The second half of TLD is better than the first half. The first half takes a long to get going, very plot heavy. Even breaking the ice with Kara takes some time. The second half feels more like traditional Bond where nothing needs explaining too much.

That is indeed controversial or, to use the more conventional term, wrong.

The first half is classic Bond with one of the best PTSs, a first 20 mins of purest Fleming, one of the great fights (admittedly it's Green 4 not Bond), a solid Aston Marin chase, some nice Cold War intrigue in a classic Eastern European setting, and with Dalton smashing it out of the park.

The second half is far less interesting and the film starts to drag a little in the Afghanistan scenes. It peps up with the epic plane sequence but then drops again with the feeble finale with the rather underwhelming and tagged on Whitaker scene.

It's not even close to be honest.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2018 Posts: 8,090

That is indeed controversial or, to use the more conventional term, wrong.

The first half is classic Bond with one of the best PTSs, a first 20 mins of purest Fleming, one of the great fights (admittedly it's Green 4 not Bond), a solid Aston Marin chase, some nice Cold War intrigue in a classic Eastern European setting, and with Dalton smashing it out of the park.

The second half is far less interesting and the film starts to drag a little in the Afghanistan scenes. It peps up with the epic plane sequence but then drops again with the feeble finale with the rather underwhelming and tagged on Whitaker scene.

It's not even close to be honest.

Wasn't it you who said, rightfully so, that Goldeneye suffers from starting the mission half way through. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same case here. I think the first half of TLD is slower than the second, in terms of actual information that has an impact overall.
    The Afghanistan section of TLD is my favorite, actually. I love Bond captured, the jailbreak, and the subsequent ride to Kamran's HQ. Barry's score during these sequences I cannot get enough of, and gives the film a romantic sense of adventure.
    The pacing does slow here a bit, and so far this is the last time we get a climax with two armies doing battle. Still, the climatic fight on the plane, and destroying of the bridge are high points for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Afghanistan section of TLD is my favorite, actually. I love Bond captured, the jailbreak, and the subsequent ride to Kamran's HQ. Barry's score during these sequences I cannot get enough of, and gives the film a romantic sense of adventure.
    The pacing does slow here a bit, and so far this is the last time we get a climax with two armies doing battle. Still, the climatic fight on the plane, and destroying of the bridge are high points for me.
    It has the feel of an adventure. More Lara or Indy than Bond imho. I agree with you on Barry's score during that entire sequence. It's my favourite part of the soundtrack, which I listen to often, because it goes back to the soaring approach rather than the synthesizer.

Having said that, nothing about Afghanistan works for me. I find it too expansive and lacking in tension.