Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Boyle at his age is not exactly fresh.
    Fair enough. At the very least he will be different. A different approach. I suppose I mean Hodge as being fresh. I'm well and truly done with P&W. A certain predictability overhangs their product. It's apparent when viewing the last few Brozza's and Craig's.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Boyle at his age is not exactly fresh.
    Fair enough. At the very least he will be different. A different approach. I suppose I mean Hodge as being fresh. I'm well and truly done with P&W. A certain predictability overhangs their product. It's apparent when viewing the last few Brozza's and Craig's.

My bet is that Boyle will be a more grounded Mendes. That is also my hope, because I am worried about a few things and fear he might let his hubris get in the way. But yes, P&W had their day.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,979
    Boyle will be more energetic than Mendes. We won't get long ponderous shots.

I feel that there's no way Boyle won't direct B25. It would be too embarrassing for all involved (and especially for Craig) for it to go any other way.
    See I'm not sure more energetic is such a good thing. Bond movies also need quieter times and slow moments.
    Boyle will be fine. Purvis and Wade's departure will shake things up far more than a switch of the director's chair. Looking forward to it. Hopefully Craig doesn't look like he's ready for the urn.
    People keep blaming P&W for the poor 007 scripts when it has been quite clear that they were most certainly not the culprit for the recent poor scripting.

I hope that Boyle will give us a decent spy movie with a few winks to the past, all done in the most impeccable taste.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I find Tatiana more annoying than Kara.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I don't care for either but I certainly agree.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Love them both. In fact, I think both of them had the best chemistry with their Bonds, matched only by Laz-Diana.
    Tatiana is up there with Tracy and Vesper as far as I'm concerned.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Ick... one of these ladies is voluptuous and sensual. The other appears to be an undernourished twelve year old boy. As I said on another thread: Kara is so needy, poor DaltonBond was close to lactating.
  • GBFGBF
    Both are a bit naive. Tajana is indeed better looking and has more sex appeal but Kara has more chemistry with Bond and the romance developes more realistically whereas Tatjana's emotions for Bond are a bit flat and remain on the "naive girl finds older man attractive" level.
    Tatiana is central to the plot and what's wrong with an ingenue character?
    Oh no, I absolutely love Kara and Pam. Tim might not have had many female counterparts but the ones he had were great.
    They’re both somewhere in the middle of the Bond girls to me.
    Tatiana is one of my favourite Bond girls. Couldn't rank FRWL in the top three if she wasn't.
    Tatiana is one of my favourite Bond girls. Couldn't rank FRWL in the top three if she wasn't.

I agree, mainstream audiences remember Honey and Pussy, but Tatiana is a much better character for me.
    I like Domino best of all Connery’s run!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I like Domino best of all Connery’s run!

Domino remains my favorite as well.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I agree, mainstream audiences remember Honey and Pussy, but Tatiana is a much better character for me.

I agree.

Pussy is up there in contention for the title as most overrated Bond girl for me. When you get down to it, what people remember of her is the name and the fact that the actor had played in other famous TV series. Her actual contribution to the film I find mediocre. Her character fluctutaion between tough and submissive is very unconvincing, and her last minute reveal as the hero that saved the day, is frankly a bit embarrasing to me. I honestly don't care much for her looks either...

Honey Rider is mainly remembered for one scene in a bikini. That is basically it. That scene is definitely iconic and unforgettable. But apart from that, what does she actually bring to the film? You could easily scratch her from the script and it wouldn't affect the overall plot.

Tanya is the one that is fundamental to the story and gives a lasting impression for me. She, more than anyone, is the iconic Bond girl of the Connery era.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jobo wrote: »

I agree.

Pussy is up there in contention for the title as most overrated Bond girl for me. When you get down to it, what people remember of her is the name and the fact that the actor had played in other famous TV series. Her actual contribution to the film I find mediocre. Her character fluctutaion between tough and submissive is very unconvincing, and her last minute reveal as the hero that saved the day, is frankly a bit embarrasing to me. I honestly don't care much for her looks either...

Honey Rider is mainly remembered for one scene in a bikini. That is basically it. That scene is definitely iconic and unforgettable. But apart from that, what does she actually bring to the film? You could easily scratch her from the script and it wouldn't affect the overall plot.

Tanya is the one that is fundamental to the story and gives a lasting impression for me. She, more than anyone, is the iconic Bond girl of the Connery era.
    Can't disagree with a single word of that.

I would just toss in that Domino is rubbish also. Looks fabulous but has the charisma of a pine wardrobe and having such a terrible actress in such a pivotal role really undermines the whole character, especially when Fiona steals every scene she's in. By comparison Domino comes across as duller than watching Rory Kinnear paint a wall and then watching it dry.

I agree.

I would just toss in that Domino is rubbish also. Looks fabulous but has the charisma of a pine wardrobe and having such a terrible actress in such a pivotal role really undermines the whole character, especially when Fiona steals every scene she's in. By comparison Domino comes across as duller than watching Rory Kinnear paint a wall and then watching it dry.

The only difference is that you'd actually wouldn't mind watching Domino paint a wall and then watching it dry because of… you know - looks. But agree that Domino is a bit of a bore. Fiona on the other hand is a very dangerous woman, who is more or less equal to Bond - and more a threat than Largo!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Somehow I don't mind Bond girls not doing much in the films. Honey and Domino suited the films well. These days I feel they are trying too hard to give women equal footing that it ends up being really contrived. Vesper is an exception
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    w2bond wrote: »
    Somehow I don't mind Bond girls not doing much in the films. Honey and Domino suited the films well. These days I feel they are trying too hard to give women equal footing that it ends up being really contrived. Vesper is an exception
    Quite. I have to agree. Honey, Domino and the rest have all suited the films nicely. I have no problems with any of the characterizations and actually think Honey made quite an impression (in other ways than the obvious, where she shone) during her short screen time in DN. Ursula and Connery had pretty decent chemistry imho.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 7,500

I agree.

The only difference is that you'd actually wouldn't mind watching Domino paint a wall and then watching it dry because of… you know - looks. But agree that Domino is a bit of a bore. Fiona on the other hand is a very dangerous woman, who is more or less equal to Bond - and more a threat than Largo!

All depends on the context:

Lying on the beach with an ice cold Mojito watching Domino in bikini paint a wall? Sign me up any time! ;)

But it would be just as good if Daniele Bianchi did it I think. Not to mention Ursula Andress... Hell, give me all three! ;)

I agree.

Lying on the beach with an ice cold Mojito watching Domino in bikini paint a wall? Sign me up any time! ;)

But it would be just as good if Daniele Bianchi did it I think. Not to mention Ursula Andress... Hell, give me all three! ;)

I'm sure we'd all find them something better to do to paint a wall!

I agree.

Any of those two would be better, of course - all three even more so!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Had no idea so many here were into geriatric sex.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    The fact that the first half of LTK resembles an 80s TV show is one of the reasons I love it because I'm a Miami Vice fanboy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Remington wrote: »
    The fact that the first half of LTK resembles an 80s TV show is one of the reasons I love it because I'm a Miami Vice fanboy.

MV was a great show.