The Crown (Netflix Original)

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Dance would be great for the later stages of Phillip although I really don't see Tennant or Law.

Other forums I've been on have mentioned Eccleston, he'd be terrific alongside Coleman.

I think everyone has been great, Wise was very good as Mountbatten. Lesser's Macmillan did seem like he was portrayed somewhat of a weak man, his relationship with his wife was not complimentary.

Glad to see they aren't going all chocolate box with the Queen Mother like Bonham Carter in the King's Speech.

No she doesn't come across nice and one big snob who can't stand the public but it seems that on accounts that is exactly what she was.

I'm no Royalist by a long shot but this has been and I hope continues to be a fascinating insight into the Royal Family.
  • Sadly @Shardlake the portrayal of Macmillan's marriage might have been close to the truth. Dorothy really did have a long running, well known, affair with Lord Boothby (who was friendly with the Krays among others). I think she treated Harold appallingly.

He was some man though, Harold Macmillan, when younger he served in the First World War, and after getting wounded at Loos, he was found lying in a trench, in some pain, reading Aeschylus in the original Greek. He was utterly unflappable. Except, I fear, when having to face Bob Boothby.

As for what we will face in Season 3, in Macmillan's own words, I think it will be, "events, dear boy, events."
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Assuming we follow the current pattern, S3 will probably cover 1964-1974.
    Which means we could get a recreation of the abduction attempt that ended Bond's Walther PPK's reputation.
    Are you liking it so far, @Gerard?
    I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen it. Neither have I seen Victoria, for that matter (I don't have MTV either. And yes, that's not a misprint, in France, Victoria airs on MTV. Go figure !)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Sadly @Shardlake the portrayal of Macmillan's marriage might have been close to the truth. Dorothy really did have a long running, well known, affair with Lord Boothby (who was friendly with the Krays among others). I think she treated Harold appallingly.

He was some man though, Harold Macmillan, when younger he served in the First World War, and after getting wounded at Loos, he was found lying in a trench, in some pain, reading Aeschylus in the original Greek. He was utterly unflappable. Except, I fear, when having to face Bob Boothby.

As for what we will face in Season 3, in Macmillan's own words, I think it will be, "events, dear boy, events."

I got the impression that it was likely the truth, I guess his part in the story wasn't his finest hour.

It's going to be quite fascinating when this returns with practically a new cast. I'm most intrigued to see as well as Coleman who else gets to take over the key roles when it returns and how they fare.

Olivia Coleman strikes me as the only actress I could see continuing this with the same quality that Foy delivered. who we get for Phillip is going to most interesting, Tennant or Law as good as actors as they are, I just don't see it but who knows.

Our very own Ralph Fiennes has been hinted at as a possibility, definitely like that more than Tennant or Law.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,675
    Matt Smith says the new Philip is very handsome .

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/the-crown-season-3
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Matt Smith says the new Philip is very handsome .

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/the-crown-season-3

I'm think Ralph is a possibility, I just don't see either Tennant or Law in the role, I could see Eccleston but now RF has been thrown into the ring I can really see it.

We've got Margaret and the Queen Mother as well to recast amongst others. Alongside Mindhunter & Deuce this will be my most awaited return of 2018.
  • I'm totally sold on Ralph. That's a great call. I can see him as Philip.

Another key casting decision, as Charles gets older, is Lord Mountbatten. Greg Wise was perfect, so it's a shame to lose him, but that's what happens with these time jumps. Are we really going to write off the second half of the sixties, and begin in the 70s as has been forecast? If so, we get Ted Heath, a Wilson second term, and the season ending with the election of Thatcher, perhaps?
    margaret-thatcher-pic-dm-233586454.jpg

Who'll play her?
  • Not sure about Thatcher, but the rumours seem to be that Helena Bonham Carter will be the new Princess Margaret. That might work. It's a heck of a time jump from Vanessa Kirby, though. Shame they are writing off the second half of the sixties.

Interesting that the Queen mentioned her first Christmas television broadcast (in 1958) the same year as The Crown cover it. If you ever see both versions (ERII 1958 and Foy 2017) side-by-side, it is astonishing the work that Claire Foy must have put in. She is faultless, with the pacing, the timing, everything.
    Shame they are writing off the second half of the sixties.

They are?
  • Shame they are writing off the second half of the sixties.

They are?

There is constant talk of a 'time jump' rather than a smooth flow from the previous season. I read one account that Season 3 will start in the 1970s - so everyone is that little bit older. That would mean we would miss the first term Harold Wilson (when he was at his peak), Swinging London, the Queen handing over the World Cup to Bobby Moore in 1966, and a fair bit more besides...

I hope I have just read (or misread) a dodgy source. This also implied that the season will end with Thatcher, who became PM in '79, of course. I'd be more interested in seeing 1964-1974 in Season 3 than a leap to 1970-1979. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Me too. Take the thing slow.
  • Is it true that we have now lost our new Prince Philip? Scheduling conflict means that Paul Bettany could not commit, apparently.

The search continues...
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 684
    That was a choice I didn't see coming, and I was looking forward to him. Oh well. Odd they would have announced it before having everything locked.

EDIT: I see now it was initially a 'in talks' sort of deal. Got it.
  • https://youtube.com/watch?v=8ogSvqq8Z7Q&feature=youtu.be&t=14m3s

The above interview with Peter Morgan seems to dispel the 'big time jump' rumours. It will only be a leap of 6 months or so. This is great news. We will get Harold Wilson winning in 1964, the death of Churchill in 1965, etc.
    My fiance just had me watch the first two episodes last night of season 1 after a few nights of a BBC documentary about the House of Windsor. I'm hooked and will have to catch up on this thread!
    It's really a binge worthy show @JET007.
    She's already burned through both seasons and was eager to watch it again with me. She's a titch nervous about replacing the cast as they age, though.
    Yeah, I have my worries too.
  • The Times this morning repeats a rumour published by The Mail on Sunday that Peter Morgan is "very keen" on Hugh Laurie to replace Matt Smith as Prince Philip.

Hugh Laurie? Hmmm... Although a fantastic actor, I'm going to have to ponder that one. Not sure what I think. I had my heart set on Paul Bettany (with Charles Dance as the final Philip).

No, sorry, no
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,675
    Weird that we haven't heard anything!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tobias Menzies of CR fame will take over as Prince Philip in the next season:

http://collider.com/the-crown-season-3-tobias-menzies-new-prince-philip/
    Dang it Creasy! You beat me to it.

Anyway, great choice I think. He'll be good.
  • Much relieved by this news. I was slightly alarmed by the Hugh Laurie rumours (as much as I love Hugh Laurie) and I think Menzies should be good. I still want them to move Heaven and Earth to get Charles Dance as the final Philip, though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The Crown has been a fantastic show so far. Claire Foy and Matt Smith. Have been great in seasons 1&2.
    Olivia Colman is a very good actress and I believe Tobias Menzies will work well with her in his portrayal of Prince Philip for seasons 3&4.
    A very good and well acted show for those who haven't seen it. Well worth. A watch.