The Best Bond Actor One-Liners.

in Actors Posts: 19,339
Close between Sir Roger and Sir Sean but Sir Roger wins this one..just.

Brosnan wasnt far behind...

You ?

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Roger. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dalton projected little amusement in his one-liners.
    Lazenby got about half of his right.
    Craig tosses them away like he did the German's car keys in CR.
    Brosnan knew how to speak his lines well, although I'm not always appreciative of his 'soft' voice.
    Moore never had to "act" his one-liners; he found a natural way to produce them.

My choice will, however, be Connery. His delivery of his lines feels most balanced between matter-of-factly and darkly comedic, much like how I read them in Fleming's novels.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Roger Moore for me. He was the master of the quip, and could make even the most awful ones amusing and seem natural. There's a reason why nobody has been able to pull it off without looking silly since he retired. Sean Connery comes a close second.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ... Roger was best. He naturally had his tongue-in-cheek, always at the ready.

Connery's sardonic, dry humour ("somebody's probably lost a dog"), or via a smirk (when he gives Fiona "something to put on"), was where he shined, and personally I like this humour better in the films than the one liners.

However, since they are evident in the Bond films, Roger can't be touched. He was a Master in delivery.

Like everything else, George did his best, and, as another poster mention, he nailed them 50% of the time-- the other times I still found him charming, though!

It feels like Dalton made a conscious choice to say most of his one liners in the exact opposite way to Roger-- didn't work. Came off as being stilted and uncomfortable. Everyone involved in the Dalton pics should have massaged the one liners out, except for the simple ones ("salt corrosion").

Brosnan seemed to relish the one liners, and, to me, he was most at ease delivering them in his films; but still, nothing against him, he just can't come close to the natural delivery of Moore (where Moore's seemed spontaneous, Brosnan's felt like "... wait for it... here it comes..." telegraphing).

Like Connery, I like when Craig is dry, sarcastic, as seen in his first couple of films, and sprinkled in his last two. However, with Mendes came the approach of lightening up Craig, and the one-liners joined him. As a Craig fan, I was not happy with them ("got into some deep water", comes to mind). May've sounded good on the page, however, Craig does seem uncomfortable delivering them, and, no matter how many gifts he has as an actor, on-the-nose humour is not one of them (storming into the fancy hotel in QoS and saying they are teachers on sabbatical is more in line with his talents-- and I love when he gets that opportunity).

I just don't think we will ever have an actor as Bond who can deliver lines like these anymo(o)re. I've got to believe it was something Roger was born with and used his entire life-- that's what makes he and his film charming and unique.

If the actor can't deliver them, then cut them (and find humour in other ways).
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Connery and Moore. And no I can't decide which comes first. That's called a tie I believe.
    Brosnan comes next. As someone above said, not far behind.

Dalton and Lazenby have some decent one liners. Dalton in general has some great dialogue, witty too. But that's not what one-liners means I guess.

Craig missed out. The one-liners really are delivered by his supporting cast mainly.
    There are some great moments in CR though for him in that regard.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    @barryt007 Are we counting both jokes and witticisms as one-liners?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Absobloodyexactly.

This thread can now be closed.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.

Absobloodyexactly.

This thread can now be closed.

Do you mind if my friend sits this one out? He's just dead.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm another fan of Roger's great one liners .

Anything you like my friend..
    Roger easily. Sean a close second.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 1,884
    barryt007 wrote: »

Anything you like my friend..

Well in that case I'd have to go with Brosnan. (No, I'm not kidding.) Not so much for the wincing jokes or double entendres, but for his remarks. Exhibit A: "See you back at the lodge". Such a gem of his. Lines like "No. For me." and "Me too." are similarly pleasing.

In contrast, Craig's Bond has the best sense of humour imo (prior to SP at least), but his one-liners aren't strong. With Craig's humour it's more about context, rather than what he actually says. Connery is similar in that regard. The way he sometimes uses it to sound smart or appear more comfortable than he actually is when in mild peril. It just works.
    Both Connery and Craig suit cruel one liners and put downs. ( In my Opinion )
    Both Connery and Craig suit cruel one liners and put downs. ( In my Opinion )

Agreed!
    Looks like Dalton and Lazenby lose the situation here..

'He's branched off'
    'You must give me the name of your occulist'
    'Gatecrasher'
    'Royal Beluga, north of the Caspian'
    'He had lots of guts'

If there's a loser it's not Laz.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Connery has a couple of really good ones outside Bond.

THE NAME OF THE ROSE: "Of course, I don t have your experience..."

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE: "I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!"
    Much as I love Dalton's Bond. He didn't have a great delivery with the
    one liners. Yet with LTK he had an argument with the director to keep
    them in, As John Glen wanted to drop them from the script.
    Much as I love Dalton's Bond. He didn't have a great delivery with the
    one liners. Yet with LTK he had an argument with the director to keep
    them in, As John Glen wanted to drop them from the script.

I didnt know that @Thunderpussy .

'He's branched off'
    'Gatecrasher'
    'He had lots of guts'

Good point. Unfortunately by process of elimination that only leaves one actor, and I'd agree he was the worst when it came to this sort of thing. Mr intensity himself.
    bondjames wrote: »

'He's branched off'
    'Gatecrasher'
    'He had lots of guts'

Good point. Unfortunately by process of elimination that only leaves one actor, and I'd agree he was the worst when it came to this sort of thing. Mr intensity himself.

I don't mind 'He got the boot' and 'Why didnt you learn the violin?' is fine but 'Salt corrosion' and 'There must be an atmospheric anomaly' are terrible.

I can't really think of any in LTK to be honest.

'He's branched off'
    'Gatecrasher'
    'He had lots of guts'

I don't mind 'He got the boot' and 'Why didnt you learn the violin?' is fine but 'Salt corrosion' and 'There must be an atmospheric anomaly' are terrible.

Me neither. Sanchez has the best lines in LTK ("launder it" is a classic), so either they realized Dalton wasn't quite up to it or they decided it was best for him not to deliver any witticisms lest it spoil the revenge motivation.

'He's branched off'
    'Gatecrasher'
    'He had lots of guts'

Me neither. Sanchez has the best lines in LTK ("launder it" is a classic), so either they realized Dalton wasn't quite up to it or they decided it was best for him not to deliver any witticisms lest it spoil the revenge motivation.

Even before all the trauma and misery there's nothing really. 'Let's go fishing'? I'm not even sure if thats even a one liner or just a comment.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There was one during the climax when Lodge smashes through the wall, impaled on a forklift, or something, and Bond and Pam see him. Dalton has a one-liner (I don't remember what it was; something like "he got the point")
    peter wrote: »
    There was one during the climax when Lodge smashes through the wall, impaled on a forklift, or something, and Bond and Pam see him. Dalton has a one-liner (I don't remember what it was; something like "he got the point")

"Looks like he came to a dead end"...delivered very uncomfortably.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That's the one @barryt007 ... I only remembered that it wasn't said in a smooth way-- more rushed and uncomfortable...

Rog was the man when it came to this humour, no doubt. If the actor in the tux can't deliver on this, find other ways of giving the audience some humour.

LTK did get it mainly right-- Davi was given some of the best lines (and he was great in delivery, presence, humour (right down to making sure he gave his iguana a kiss)).

peter wrote: »
    That's the one @barryt007 ... I only remembered that it wasn't said in a smooth way-- more rushed and uncomfortable...

Rog was the man when it came to this humour, no doubt. If the actor in the tux can't deliver on this, find other ways of giving the audience some humour.

LTK did get it mainly right-- Davi was given some of the best lines (and he was great in delivery, presence, humour (right down to making sure he gave his iguana a kiss)).

Davi is one of the best ever Bond villains as Sanchez..he acts Dalton off the screen in every meeting.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @barryt007, I wouldn't argue with your assessment. Davi elevated every scene he was in, and, I think, brought out a better performance in Dalton. Sanchez in one of my top favourite villains.
    Considering he was only 'Special Agent Johnson' in Die Hard the year before,what an amazing ,charismatic performance !!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    "This is Special Agent Johnson... (listens...)... No, the other one."

You're right-- totally charismatic.