"This is a local shop..." The League of Gentlemen 1999-2002,Apocalypse 2005, & now 2017

edited December 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 19,339
Love it or hate it,it was on everyone's lips during the late 90's early 00's ,and even inspired the film in 2005.

One of the weirdest comedies on TV ,it was compelling viewing with a massive range of strange or evil characters residing in the mysterious village of Royston Vasey .

Superb writers :

Jeremy Dyson
Mark Gatiss
Steve Pemberton
Reece Shearsmith

And a talented cast :

Mark Gatiss
Steve Pemberton
Reece Shearsmith
Peter Kay
Victoria Wood
Simon Pegg
Michael Sheen

All these ingredients made a terrific if warped show .

This article has appeared 15mins ago,with news that LOG is returning for 3 specials,to test the water I would think,and also that AAAAAHHAAAAAAAA Alan Partridge is back as well :

The League of Gentlemen to return to BBC Two.

The League of Gentlemen is to return to BBC Two for three special new episodes.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the comedy, which began on BBC radio before moving to TV from 1999 to 2002.

Its comeback isn't a massive surprise - Mark Gatiss hinted at it last year. BBC Two controller Patrick Holland described it in Edinburgh on Wednesday as a "much anticipated return".

He also confirmed that Alan Partridge would return to the channel - but didn't give away any details.

All four of The League of Gentlemen's original creators - Gatiss, Steve Pemberton, Jeremy Dyson, and Reece Shearsmith - will reunite for the new specials.

Pemberton told The Daily Mirror: "I think there is still an appetite for it, people still remember it, we are all still great mates and I see no reason why not. We won't rush it, it's something we want to go get it right."

Any views on LOG lads and lasses ?

Personally I cant wait,i have all of their work on DVD including the film and live shows.

_97491920_leagueofgentlemenbbc.jpg

Comments

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Hello Dave ! The return of the no tails bring it on .
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Slight trepidation as its been a long time but they are the sort of people who would know if something wasnt working and tear it up and start again until they get it right.

I just hope for a return to the fairly traditional structure of the first two series as although the Xmas special and third were interesting I feel they tried too hard to mess with structure and horror aspects.

Just give me more Les McQueen tragically pondering what Creme Brulee could have been and I'll be happy - 'It's a shit business'.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    'There's nothing for you here!'

Love, love this show. But I too worry that they may not be able to capture that lightning in a bottle.
    I really enjoyed all the series - the papa Lazarou reveal in the third series is one of the greatest things ever.

I don't think the film was great - I had super high expectations and it just didn't land. But the first three series was about as inventive, striking and funny as television comedy gets.

I'm surprised as Mark Gatiss seems to be everywhere both behind the scenes and on camera from Sherlock to game of thrones. So it's great to see he's available and keen.

I can't wait. And I recommend Psychoville - the first season of that had some amazing stuff in it.

The bonus for Alan Partiridge is that Coogan has kept him constant over the years so the character has evolved and we as an audience have remained invested from big screen Alpha Papa to webcam Mid Morning Matters.

Both bits of great news for me!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Loved the series and the other show a couple of the lads do
    " Inside No 9" is brilliant, some very creepy/funny stories.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I watched the series first time round dark and daft, still not watched Apocalypse I should probably try and get a copy.
    Wow? Never thought I would see the return this show!!!
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Congratulations are in order to Mr Gatiss not only is he bringing the league back he is also getting married to his long time partner .
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Great to see so many positive repsonses and LOG fans.

I think the fact they are doing 3 specials rather than a series is for them and the BBC to see if the interest is still there before a full series is financed.

Also time limitations as they are all busy busy nowadays ;

The League of Gentlemen new specials confirmed by BBC.

The BBC has officially confirmed that The League of Gentlemen is returning for three special episodes.

We'll be returning to Royston Vasey later this year on BBC Two to mark the 20th anniversary of the cult comedy's debut on BBC Radio. So we reckon we could be joined by Mr and Mrs Tubbs for Christmas...

As long as we remember that this is a local shop for local people.
    Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton, Reece Shearsmith and Jeremy Dyson have all reunited for the special episodes, which were commissioned by Patrick Holland and Shane Allen, Controller BBC Comedy.

Steve Bendelack is directing the specials which will be produced by Adam Tandy, with Jon Plowman as an executive producer.
    Back in June, Shearsmith confirmed that work had started on the scripts for the long-rumoured League of Gentlemen revival: "Fun and strange to be writing The League of Gentlemen again. Evidently, it's true... we'll never leave."

Co-creator Gatiss had sparked rumours of a comeback during a talk at the Oxford Union earlier this year.

He claimed that the group had a number of pretty good ideas, and they were all hoping to shoot new material sometime this year which, thankfully, has turned out to be very true.

The League of Gentlemen aired its final third series in 2002, following it up with movie outing The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse in 2005.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    When you see the work Pemberton and Sheersmith have done as a duo, and Dyson and Gatiss individually it's hard to see this failing, but I agree they need to go for the big laughs that the first two series produced.

I hope they avoid trying to do big crowd pleasers ( only use Papa Lazarou if absolutely necessary, and not shoe horn him in just so he is there), and avoid trying to take the grosser characters into even more surreal situations (like Tubs and Edwards).

I would love to see one of the lady vicar (name escapes me) doing her bitter sermons. I can never forget the one where she stands in the pulpit and says something like 'I only popped into the supermarket for a bottle of taboo and when I came out my bloody car had been clamped!'.

Good to have this amazing show back.
    Not forgetting Hillary Bliss,with his 'special stuff'...... :

08_hilary_briss_zps7a1b659b.jpg

It's nearly back........................................ :

The League of Gentlemen series 4 trailer is here and 'digging up some old friends' .

BBGi97J.img?h=425&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=657&y=260

The BBC has released the first trailer for the upcoming special episodes of The League of Gentlemen, which Reece Shearsmith advises you should not watch if "you want to remain pure and local".
    It promises to "dig up some old friends", perhaps literally, and tease a ton of show favourites.

The first three seasons consisted of six episodes, but this time we will only get three; the BBC did not provide a release date for them alongside the trailer.

Here's the BBC initial announcement of the specials in full:

'BBC Two can confirm that the much-loved and critically-acclaimed comedy The League Of Gentlemen will be back on screen later this year for three special episodes, to commemorate the twentieth anniversary since their debut on BBC Radio. Their career launched with the BBC in the same year they won the Perrier Award for Comedy at the 1997 Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Mark Gatiss, Steve Pemberton, Reece Shearsmith and Jeremy Dyson will be reuniting for a return to Royston Vasey. The League Of Gentlemen ran for three series on BBC Two and won the Rose D'Or and the BAFTA for Best Comedy Series in 2000.

The specials are commissioned by Patrick Holland and Shane Allen, Controller BBC Comedy, and they will be produced by BBC Studios. Executive producer is Jon Plowman, the producer is Adam Tandy, and the director is Steve Bendelack.'

Did anyone else get around to watching this over the 3 nights last week ?
    I recorded all 3 and then watched it.

They haven't lost their touch,very funny,and they have killed off quite a few characters as well.
    The three characters who appeared to be killed off were all Steve Pemberton characters
    Pauline, Mr Denton and Pops

The first episode was very funny and by the third it had become macabre in the extreme. Can’t imagine how anyone new to the show would’ve made sense of it all. Brilliant however.

Secured 2 tickets to the live show in Birmingham in September
    That's true.
    They definitely targeted the hard core fans not newcomers with the shows.
    I will have to look and see if the live show is coming anywhere near me.

Also,a good point re the characters all being Steve's characters,i didn't notice the connection,Nackers.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Just watching the first new episode on bbci I should not have put it on while I was having my dinner lol its as grotesque as per usual.
    Just watching the first new episode on bbci I should not have put it on while I was having my dinner lol its as grotesque as per usual.

Oooh bad timing !
    Just watched the first two episodes, absolutely Barking mad at work shortly so will have to watch the finale tomorrow. They have not missed a step retained the feel of the original series.
    Just watched the first two episodes, absolutely Barking mad at work shortly so will have to watch the finale tomorrow. They have not missed a step retained the feel of the original series.

Exactly....the last episode is even more mad !
    Let us know what you think when you have seen all 3 .
    barryt007 wrote: »

Will do I will rewatch the first two episodes tomorrow before the finale I think a few things in the first episode I did not pick up on, off tomorrow night so a few beers and a rewatch for sure. Thought what they did with
    Pauline having dementia was handled well and was a surprisingly touching scene.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Will do I will rewatch the first two episodes tomorrow before the finale I think a few things in the first episode I did not pick up on, off tomorrow night so a few beers and a rewatch for sure. Thought what they did with
    Pauline having dementia was handled well and was a surprisingly touching scene.

Yes that was very clever,they are definitely freshening things up by killing off a few characters.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Business as usual. I really liked the monologue about

Just a shame they didn't run to a full series as it was all a bit abrupt.
    What do we make of the final scene with Benjamin saying 'it's good to visit' and the return of the red plastic bag? Certainly hints at more perhaps in the vein of series 3 with standalone pieces focussing on one character. I certainly could live with a 'Les McQueen goes to Slovakia' episode.

Can't help feeling a tad short changed mind as when they were about to put Pop in the meat grinder I thought we were going to get a cameo from Hilary Briss at the end.

All in all though really can't complain at all. Very solid piece of work, really enjoyed the bingo caller monologue about the ladyboy. Melancholic shades of the cave guide from the earlier series.
    I think they were testing the water by making 3 episodes back to back,to see if people are still interested before having a full series commissioned.

Fingers crossed they will get one !!
    Always depends on how busy the members are I suppose. With Mark Gatiss free of Dr Who and (allegedly) Sherlock he must have freed some time up.

Agree about the scenes featuring Pauline and the bingo caller. Moments of poignancy amidst the mayhem.
    Yes,it was well balanced I thought,and I always love Mr Chinnery the vet,he cracks me up every time.
    It was good to see his families back-ground story and the curse,in episode 3.

eb3210cfff6b943413f2058b3edf07e3.jpg
    The hedgehog scene was hilarious
    The hedgehog scene was hilarious

Classic Chinnery : "Have you ever considered getting a puppy ?"

I'm a huge fan of The League of Gents, even saw the live show at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. I wish this Anniversary celebration could've been longer, as things were just getting warmed up.

Now, can we have another Psychoville, please. I've never laughed so much as I have done watching Mr Jelly. I think Psychoville just edges TLoG for twisted laughs.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of The League of Gents, even saw the live show at The Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. I wish this Anniversary celebration could've been longer, as things were just getting warmed up.

Now, can we have another Psychoville, please. I've never laughed so much as I have done watching Mr Jelly. I think Psychoville just edges TLoG for twisted laughs.

Mr Jelly was brilliant,so bitter about EVERYTHING !

At least we have a new Number 9 series about to start,for now.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Nice to see the guys didn't ruin the memory of TLOG.

3 suitably macarbe and darkly funny episodes, with shades poignancy, Gattis knocked it out the park as the Bingo Caller.

It's no surprise that all 3 have gone on to be very talented character actors.

Not sure about more apparently it has been announced that was supposed to be a finale but who knows what might happen in the future.
    Nice cameo from Papa Lazorou, had a feeling he was behind the photo booth abductions.

We've got more Inside No. 9 to come, really enjoyed the last series, although it was last years' Christmas special that stayed with me, Derek Jacobi was particularly a stand out.
    Hahaha yep...it had to be Papa Lazarou....poor Tubbs !