Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• Indeed Fox. That last half with a three-tiered narrative thread (Luke, Lando, Han) is a masterclass of scripting.
    I love almost the whole movie. It is blasphemy to the most hardcore SW fans, but I have had it ranked above the original SW for my whole life pretty much. ESB is still my #1 though.
    I've just seen TLJ. Didn't think much of it, to be honest. I can't say it's an improvement over TFA as I didn't particularly care for that one, either. They're both bottom of the deck for me. "Light sword?"... why? Also, Daisy Ridley still can't act. I don't think I'll be bothering with the next episode, whatever they decide on calling it? Disney have totally mishandled the franchise story-wise IMO. Though I can't argue that there won't be plenty of suckers that lap this drivel up. These Disney shambles make the much-derided prequels look like masterpieces.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I love almost the whole movie. It is blasphemy to the most hardcore SW fans, but I have had it ranked above the original SW for my whole life pretty much. ESB is still my #1 though.
    I rank ROTJ above SW too.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Disney have totally mishandled the franchise story-wise IMO. Though I can't argue that there won't be plenty of suckers that lap this drivel up.
    Reporting for duty.
    Now enjoying the series' best entry, ESB. The film is worthy of its high praise. ROTJ was great, but ESB is even better. Fun backwards marathon so far.
    TFA
    Good: 2
    Bad: 2

RO
    Good: 2

TLJ:
    Good: 3
    Bad: 1
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2017 Posts: 8,079
    Coming 2020

Kenobi: A Star Wars Story

Hello There!
    Looking forward to it. Hoping Ewan McGregor returns.
    Er is there actually a Kenobi movie coming out? I was just kidding.
    Yep, in 2020 and for now most likely with McGregor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »

If Vader makes an appearance, I am all for it. The more Vader, the better.

Well I'll be damned.

Well I'll be damned.

You ARE damned. Batman is coming for u. Break a back!
    Unfortunately, the original trilogy is the only consistently good set of any of the Star Wars films. Episodes I and II are both extremely flawed for the prequel trilogy, and I have several nitpicks with the sequel trilogy. It's controversial, but Revenge of the Sith is actually still my favorite SW film of the century.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TFA

RO

TLJ:
    Bad: 1

Sue me I liked all 3, TFA is actually the weakest due to a large part of it remaking SW. RO I liked straight away more than TFA, it's not perfect but it's a more satisfying experience for me.

As TLJ the fact it's becoming one of the most if not the most divisive entry in the series is fascinating but I loved it.

Yes it has some moments like the Mary Poppins one and the Canto Bite sequence seems to be only really there to introduce the younglings and make the last scene make sense but for the rest I thought is ballsy.

Loved the way they resolved Rey's parentage, so hope JJ doesn't back track on it because it makes sense especially with the last scene.

As for Luke's reaction to the lightsabre, it's very funny but makes sense to where he is at the time.

I'm looking forward to another watch which might be on the big screen again before the end of the year if not I'll catch it on Blu ray when it's released.

As for the prequels I see nothing redeeming about them personally as someone who grew up with the originals from original release they were a still remain a dire disappointment but it seems I might be getting my own taste of the same medicine that fans of the PT have had to endure for liking it because I really rated TLJ whereas some of of the fanbase are reacting like Rian Johnson defecated on their front lawn.

Pretty much the same reactions that some people had with the prequels, I detested them but I'm not as extreme as some of the SW fanbase when it comes to them and recognise that some people liked or even love them.
  • I am probably alone in this, but I think The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels.

Sure, it gets blasted for Jar Jar and the kid, but I always enjoy it.

Darth Maul, Qui-gon, fun Trade Federation / battle droids, big creatures, a nice three-tiered climax reminiscent of ROTJ.

And ... no Hadyn Christensen angst.

TPM has a lot going for IMO.
    I too liked all three, but the latest is the weakest of those.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I am probably alone in this, but I think The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels.

Sure, it gets blasted for Jar Jar and the kid, but I always enjoy it.

Darth Maul, Qui-gon, fun Trade Federation / battle droids, big creatures, a nice three-tiered climax reminiscent of ROTJ.

TPM has a lot going for IMO.

TPM is the worst one for me, besides RO. The climax is good, as are Darth Maul and Qui-Gon, but I find little else to enjoy. The music is great too of course, but that’s the case for every SW film. TPM is really sort of a bore for much of the film for me. Hayden Christensen is annoying in AOTC, but he has some good moments in ROTS.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    A hugely redeeming factor for Phantom Menace for me too. I don't mind it as much as most, but it tends to really drag in places and Lucas should have realized that some of his effects would date quickly. I quite like Jake Lloyd in the role.

The remaining two prequels would have really worked for me if Portman and Christensen weren't in it and if the teenage soap sap was either deleted or significantly rewritten in a more mature way, to properly reflect the importance of that relationship to the galaxy.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 8,079
    What is interesting about the prequels is how they escalate in scope and pace. TPM is a intimate story about one planet, AotC is like a space conspiracy spanning multiple systems, and RotS is complete mayhem across the galaxy. The second half of RotS is like one long montage of destruction.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

If Vader makes an appearance, I am all for it. The more Vader, the better.

I thought this film was a rumor, I didn’t know it was fact. But yeah, McGregor and Vader would be awesome
    I love the second half of ROTS. Easily the best segment of the prequels; I would say from the duel between Sidious and Windu onwards. Really good stuff.
    I love the second half of ROTS. Easily the best segment of the prequels; I would say from the duel between Sidious and Windu onwards. Really good stuff.

Yeah the action is fine and the ending and birth of darth vader is cool but how about anakins turn to the dark side. It’s terrible

Yeah the action is fine and the ending and birth of darth vader is cool but how about anakins turn to the dark side. It’s terrible

It’s not perfect but it works enough for me. He cared about Padme more than the Jedi and figured learning the dark side was the only chance he’d have of saving her. But as he does Palpatine’s bidding he has lost all his humanity and pretty much kills Padme later because of his paranoia and warped views. It’s not executed perfectly but it still made sense IMO.

It’s not perfect but it works enough for me. He cared about Padme more than the Jedi and figured learning the dark side was the only chance he’d have of saving her. But as he does Palpatine’s bidding he has lost all his humanity and pretty much kills Padme later because of his paranoia and warped views. It’s not executed perfectly but it still made sense IMO.

Yes, but especially in that scene where Samuel L. Jackson is killed, anakin stops the death of the emperor, then allows the emperor to kill Jackson, then bows down and accepts becoming a sith, it’s just silly and frankly quite cringey.

However I still prefer ROS to TLJ
    Seeing TLJ again tomorrow. Now that I know all the story beats, I am more open minded to look past certain things, than I was day after I first watched it. Also seeing it in 3d kinda ruined the experience for me.

Yes, but especially in that scene where Samuel L. Jackson is killed, anakin stops the death of the emperor, then allows the emperor to kill Jackson, then bows down and accepts becoming a sith, it’s just silly and frankly quite cringey.

However I still prefer ROS to TLJ

Yeah I agree Anakin’s shift in that same scene is a little awkward. But it was believable for him to prevent Windu from killing Sidious since he had already turned Anakin’s priority to saving Padme, and he and Anakin were closer than Anakin ever was with the Jedi. The motivations make sense, it’s just that some of the execution is meh.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I can never overlook that scene with Sidious and Mace Windu it's utterly dire.

The fit that Palpatine has as he's turning into Sideous is laughable.

It's nice some of you can get enjoyment out of them.

I'm sure there are exceptions but pretty much everyone from my era (I'm 45) hates the PT like I do.

Like I said before my like of TLJ may well see me facing down the fury of some SW fans like you prequel fans do.

I can't see anything redeeming in them apart from moments of Williams scores to them and the idea that someone thing ROTS is better than TLJ horrifies me but to each his own.

I think the reaction to TLJ is going to see quite a few fans now trying to justify the prequels and say they aren't that bad anymore but to me they were bad and are still bad.

We are all entitled to our opinions I'm just going to have to accept that, I really liked TLJ but some of you clearly did not and that is your right as it is mine.
  • Shardlake wrote: »
    I can never overlook that scene with Sidious and Mace Windu it's utterly dire.

The fit that Palpatine has as he's turning into Sideous is laughable.

Why whatever do you mean? :))

giphy.gif
    I liked TLJ. Pretty good for the most part. I just am partial to ROTS for its dark tone and epic action scenes (love lightsaber fights). ESB definitely tops them all. I’m glad it’s the near-unanimous favorite, because it really is just that good. So far in my marathon...

1. ESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. TLJ
    4. TFA