The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    RE: 50 years of Bond films is an achievement that no other film franchise can compete with.

We know this already...

...Oh, wait- was that a question of whether I agree or not? Because I thought it was a universal rule. ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,461
    050:

Disney. Some movies already be made for the Bond novels be written. Also some very tales there make movies from exist longer. Cinderella/Assepoester for example is from 1634! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella

Snowwhite/Sneeuwwitje movie is from 1937. It be oldest movie in my dvd collection and the archief footage and actors are older. In age iam afraid Disney wins too, born earlier then Fleming and died later then Fleming.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    M_Balje wrote:
    050:

Disney. Some movies already be made for the Bond novels be written. Also some very tales there make movies from exist longer. Cinderella/Assepoester for example is from 1634! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinderella

Snowwhite/Sneeuwwitje movie is from 1937. It be oldest movie in my dvd collection and the archief footage and actors are older. In age iam afraid Disney wins too, born earlier then Fleming and died later then Fleming.

Disney's vast output of films isn't centred around one character or one mythology. By this logic, I could argue that the Universal monsters hold a more impressive record than the Bond films too. The Bond franchise is pure and genuine, focused on one character. I think the difference is clear.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 051</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Roger Moore's Bond was quite capable of being dead serious and ruthless.</b></font>
    Absolutely true. Although I think it depended on the scenerio. Example: Moore slapping a woman = awkward. Moore killing a bad guy or having a verbal showdown with a baddie = good.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2012 Posts: 6,008
    Agree. "Well, it's not mutual."
    Absolutely, the problem was that he didn´t like that sort of thing.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 14,037
    Definitely. For me, these scenes stand out:

LALD - It used to be a convincing act, Rosie. It's wearing a little thin now.

It's not an act. It's...

Make your choice.

FYEO - Moore's ruthlessness peaks when he kicks Loque's car off the cliff.
    I think there would be more debate if you changed "Roger Moore" to "Pierce Brosnan" DD. Pierce is the bloke people love dumping on currently.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 23,639
    But it's Moore's Bond who too often gets the epithet of funny, smirky joker IMO. And with this statement, I show my hand. ;-)
    Yeah I know but on THIS forum Pierce gets the flack for not being tough enough - not Moore ;)
    Either way, both Pierce and Roger were capable of being ruthless.
    Yes agree. Obviously the scenes from Spy: holding Fekkish by the tie off the building and the Loque car kick come to mind. But even in the fights, he always seemed pretty vicious to me.
    Yes, Rose, Andrea and Loque would all agree.
    Virage wrote:
    Yes, Rose, Andrea and Loque would all agree.

Completely agree with all of the above! And as already mentioned Roger took a more lighter approach to the role. When he did play it serious he was pretty convincing IMHO.
    Don´t forget the scene in OP when Bond kills one of the twins and says "And that´s for 009". And the scene in TSWLM when Bond tells Anya that he killed her boyfriend.
    There are many more scenes where Moore is serious and really good at it, too.
    Moore might have been the epitome of childish nonsense at times but as stated did put in a few straight faces amid all the clowning around, such examples would include

The killing of the knife throwing twin at the log cabin
    Killing of Locque in For Your Eyes Only
    Killing of Stromberg, The spy Who Loved Me
    Putting Nick Nack in the suitcase and on top sail of ship
    Killing the guards after interrogation of General Orlov, Octopussy
    Intruders scene at the Octopussy Island
    Interrogation of Miss Anders about Scaramanga's whereabouts
    Attempted killing of Scaramanga over dinner
    Discovery of Sir Godfrey Tibbett's death after Zorin discovers who he really is

getting trivial now but some worthwhile examples nonetheless, i.e. Moore was serious sometimes
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Roger Moore apart from being one of the most amazing human being one earth is a phenomal actor, he can make you cry and laugh whenever he wants, he can be serious or funny at his own will.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 172
    Roger Moore apart from being one of the most amazing human being one earth is a phenomal actor, he can make you cry and laugh whenever he wants, he can be serious or funny at his own will.
    In what movies can he do that?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,351
    Most of the examples have already been given, so the answer is yes. It's a shame Moore wasn't given more of this to do during his time as Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,905
    I don't see what Rog's qualities as a human have to do with him as an actor. I think the description for this round needs to me more clear. Rog was top of his game with his eyebrow schtick, but anytime he tried to come off as tough, he failed spectacularly.

Thesis 51: Disagree
    I'm not sure if DaltonCraig was refering to Moore in a Bond capacity or with reference to his other work outside the series

Moore is not such a bad Bond no matter what anybody says, he was the man for Live and Let Die, my own personal favorite and also did some fine work with Spy and Eyes Only, and Moonraker while absurd, was a damn fine adventure with lots to keep the interest, it's only his final appearances I take issue with, I know, he knows, and most will be honest enough to admit he should of stepped down from the role before 1983
    and most will be honest enough to admit he should of stepped down from the role before 1983

He should have stepped down After 1983 if you ask me

edited March 2012 Posts: 13,351
    JBFan626 wrote:
    and most will be honest enough to admit he should of stepped down from the role before 1983

He should have stepped down After 1983 if you ask me

Moore was great in Octopussy and the only one that could have done it. Especially when going up against Connery.
    Agreed. If he had gone down that route more often, he would have been amazing as Bond. The closest we got to Moore's Bond being like that was in TMWTGG, which also happens to be one of his best Bond films.
    051- agreed. But I think moore works better when he's doing his light hearted stuff, for me his best bond moments are when he's having fun. He can act and do the dark serious stuff, but I'm glad he played bond the way he did.
    Agree. Check out my "Roger Moore CAN act" thread.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I certainly agree with the thesis. You need look no further than Scaramanga or Locque.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 052</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The poison pen letter joke should not have been used in OP since it was already mocked in CR67.</b></font>
    It's lazy I'll admit but it hadn't be used in a Bond film as such, so no harm done I suppose? Make of it what you will.