Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Shia LaBeouf will not return for 'Indiana Jones 5,' as the whole world breathes a collective sigh of relief.

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf/
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Phew!

His star is on the decline these days so I'm not surprised. A bit of a loose canon who's said some negative things about Spielberg in the past.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Phew!

His star is on the decline these days so I'm not surprised. A bit of a loose canon who's said some negative things about Spielberg in the past.

I'm sure that didn't help with his return in the slightest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I going all in to bet that this will never see the light of day.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Murdock wrote: »

Probably better that way too.
    Murdock wrote: »

Probably better that way too.

Agreed. I don't have high hopes for it, especially after KOTCS.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Indeed.

A few decades ago Spielberg might have had the imagination to pull it off but I really don't see how an action film (in the only series that ever seriously rivalled Bond for its set pieces) with a star nearing 80 can be viable.

Simply speaking how can Indy do the stuff he used to at this age even with the magic of cinema and a hefty suspension of disbelief?

Harrison looked seriously old in The Force Awakens and Han Solo is not really that action heavy a role compared to Indy when you are expected to hang off vehicles and have fist fights with massive henchmen.

Better to just leave it rather than end up with scenes as appalling as the OAP warehouse smackdown in AVTAK.
    I cant see Ford being Indy at 77,thats just ridiculous.
    And I cant seen them re-casting either.

Just leave it as it is now and be done with it,don't ruin the series any more than they have already.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm excited by the idea of a new Indy movie but when you think of Ford's age it just doesn't seem right for what's required of the character. I'm not opposed to recasting as long as it's cast right. Awhile back it was rumored Chris Pratt was in talks for the role and I honestly think he would be good for the part. Just imagine his character from Jurassic World wearing Indy's clothes, and with less dinosaurs, and you almost have Indy.
    He wouldn't be a big enough reason to go,imo.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Frank Marshall once said they wouldn't recast the character. Not sure if that's still the mindset.

----
    If you think that means that they are open to recasting Indy, don’t hold your breath, because Marshall also added that they’re “not doing the Bond thing where we’re going to call somebody else Indiana Jones ... we have to figure this out.”
    ----

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/frank-marshall-says-they-wont-do-bond-thing-recasting-indy-new-movie
    I just think they will leave it as it is.

Its for the best.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Frank Marshall once said they wouldn't recast the character. Not sure if that's still the mindset.

----
    If you think that means that they are open to recasting Indy, don’t hold your breath, because Marshall also added that they’re “not doing the Bond thing where we’re going to call somebody else Indiana Jones ... we have to figure this out.”
    ----

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/frank-marshall-says-they-wont-do-bond-thing-recasting-indy-new-movie

Well Disney have paid a shitload for the Indy rights. They're not going to be happy with just one film with an aged Harrison so recasting is going to happen sooner or later. Might as well make it sooner if you're going to do it as I really can't see how Harrison can still be credible in the role. He just about got away with it in KOTCS but another 12 years of mileage is too much surely?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    If they're going to insist on making more then they absoloutely should go the Bond route. Harrison Ford is much too old and he's already had two films now that work as endings for his take on the character (even if you hate KOTCS, just ignore it and you have him riding off into the sunset in Crusade as the end). I don't see the point in featuring him at all.

I'd prefer it if they just left them alone but if they really want to make more then recasting is definitely the way to go. Wheeling a geriatric Ford out for a couple more is just delaying the inevitable because like @TheWizardOfIce said, they're not going to leave it at that are they. They're going to have to recast sooner or later so instead of trying to recapture the old magic with their Sean Connery they need to be looking for their Roger Moore. New actor, recognisable as Indy but just different enough to not seem like a retread.

I've seen a lot of people suggest a dual narrative with an older Ford in the 1960s and flashing back to young Indy in his prime, as a passing the torch sort of thing. That to me is a bad idea. Because then the new actor is basically forced into doing a Harrison Ford impression and it also invites even more direct comparisons between them. The next guy needs to be able to do his own thing if they want to get out of the shadow of the old ones. So I think either don't make any more (sadly though that's just not going to happen is it), or start fresh. Leave Ford's Indy in the past.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,450
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Shia LaBeouf will not return for 'Indiana Jones 5,' as the whole world breathes a collective sigh of relief.

http://collider.com/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf/

That's good hope Marion is nowhere to be seen too, let's just pick up the story of Indy mid adventure with no previous side characters around except perhaps Sallah making a return.
    Personally, I love all four Indiana Jones films. But . . . I would probably rank "LAST CRUSADE" at the bottom. It's not as original to me as the other three films, aside from its characterization of the leading lady.
    Crystal skull has to be one of spielbergs weakest films it's pathetic.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    edited September 2017 Posts: 754
    Rumors, were that Ford agreed to Force Awakens with an agreement to make Indy too.

I don't really want to see Indy as the elder statesman and not in action, that is his whole purpose. I also don't want it recast though that will one day be inevitable. Iger said as much, one with ford then reboot. Koepp is writing and I don't trust. Spielberg, I don't trust. Yes, that's right. His favorite his Crusade. A dopey comedy instead of a great action flick. How do you pick that over Raiders? He applied the comedy too much to CS too, they're a pair though CS has a lot more problems.

CS was a lost opportunity because I still bought Ford physically in the role and he could've done anything a great script required. Unfortunately, a great script was nowhere to be found. That great cast was squandered too.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Crystal skull has to be one of spielbergs weakest films it's pathetic.

Reserve judgment until you seen Ready Player One first before you make your final decision! It looks terrible from the trailer.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Rumors, were that Ford agreed to Force Awakens with an agreement to make Indy too.

I don't really want to see Indy as the elder statesman and not in action, that is his whole purpose. I also don't want it recast though that will one day be inevitable. Iger said as much, one with ford then reboot. Koepp is writing and I don't trust. Spielberg, I don't trust. Yes, that's right. His favorite his Crusade. A dopey comedy instead of a great action flick. How do you pick that over Raiders? He applied the comedy too much to CS too, they're a pair though CS has a lot more problems.

CS was a lost opportunity because I still bought Ford physically in the role and he could've done anything a great script required. Unfortunately, a great script was nowhere to be found. That great cast was squandered too.

Yes, on the one hand, no one really wants an Indy movie with Harrison as the old man sidekick, but then again he's past his expiration date as a credible action hero. Quite the pickle and better to leave well enough alone.

KOTCS was their last chance and they blew it. Ford was pushing it back then, but I suppose he mostly pulled it off. It was a mistake to bring back Marion and give them a son. The family angle worked in Last Crusade because Connery and Ford played well off each other, but they should have just kept that as one-off.

Indiana Jones is an action hero. Like Bond, part of the allure is to go on his adventures with him and see him shag a new bird every film. We don't really need to see him in his twilight years, do we?
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 386
    Harrison Ford's timing has been shot for a while now.

Either re-cast or leave it alone. The new uncharted movie is effectively the same thing.

On ranking the four, Raiders is of course the benchmark.

Last Crusade feels too clean to me. Preferred the hard edge of the first two.

Crystal Skull was tripe.
    That Ready Player One does look pretty dire. The only point of interest is one of the locations is Columbus, Ohio, which isn't far from where I live.

As for Indy V, if they can find a proper way to send Ford out in style, I'm interested. I just don't have a lot of faith following Crystal Skull and Ford's age and I really don't want a Chris Pratt or another established star to take over the role. If they have to recast Indy, go the route they are with Han Solo and go with an unknown.
  • Pratt seems very flavour of the month to me. Only seen him in the last Jurassic Park film but wasn't impressed.

I think Colin Farrell could be good if they recast. I think he could do intellectual, adventurer and rough likeable everyman equally well, and is talented and established enough to not just end up doing a Harrison Ford impression.
    Interesting call on Farrell. I always liked him and think Phone Booth is an underrated picture of his.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Farrell will be 46+ when he'll take on the role.
    Yeah, he is long in the tooth, about the same age Ford was when he did Last Crusade.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm not a Farrell fan to be honest. I've never understood what the big deal is about him. He was built up to be an 'A' player but has never been able to pull off a major motion picture.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @thelivingroyale, I agree completely, I can't stand Chris Pratt. I find him too goofy in everything I see him in. If they were to recast Indy I think Karl Urban would be a great choice as well. He can do comedic and more tough as nails stuff flawlessly.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Karl Urban is another good choice, and if he got a gig as high profile as this maybe he'd have enough starpower to get a Dredd sequel going? I know I know. A man can dream.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Farrell will be 46+ when he'll take on the role.

True, probably too old. I think this will be an issue with the next Bond actor as well, it's hard to find actors who look rugged enough that aren't too old, because most of the younger ones nowadays just seem so baby faced compared to actors from past generations.
    I'd rather see a forty-something Indy who looks like he can handle himself than a baby faced Indy who looks more at home with a smart phone in front of his face clicking like on Facebook.
    In fact I'd rather see an 80 year old Ford than that any day.