Conan The Barbarian (1982 - present) - Possible series at Amazon

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,812
    In case any of you are wondering, The Legend of Conan is still in the works. It's slated to come out in 2019. This was the latest bit of news that I could find.

screenrant.com/legend-conan-writer-opening-sequel/

Here's part of the article:

'Arnold Schwarzenegger is lined up to reprise his original star-making role as Conan in Legend of Conan, but a director has yet to be attached to the slowly, but steadily, developing project. The film’s screenplay is also a work in progress for the time being, with Fast & Furious franchise writer/producer Chris Morgan now working on a script draft in tandem with Will Beall: the Gangster Squad screenwriter who is also putting together a fresh Aquaman movie script draft for Momoa and director James Wan, as it were.

Milius’ Conan the Barbarian famously concludes with a shot of an older (and bearded) Conan the Barbarian, now a king and sitting upon his own throne – teasing that one day, the story of the King Conan will be told. Beall, when he spoke to /Film at the CBS, CW and Showtime party for the 2016 Television Critics Association press tour, confirmed that Legend of Conan picks up right with the final shot of Milius’ film:

“It opens there. It opens with this [hand on the chin]. It’s where you have to. It’s the sequel that we were promised and never got.”'

This is the shot that they are talking about.
    update-on-arnold-schwarzeneggers-legend-of-conan.jpg

Just for fun, here is a fan made poster of the same image.
    FIkOBdmjz3Ndno_1_c.jpg

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's funny that it'll be a long overdue sequel, but one that totally works, given the way the previous film ends/this new one begins. It's one of the few, older series of Arnold's that he can actually return to and not seem out of place (like 'Terminator: Genisys').
    That how I feel! I guess they kinda made it work in Terminator Genisys but it'll be a lot better in this one.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is from last October. Over the years I've kept up with this and haven't heard anything since last fall.
    Actually I think it's from August. Still though, it's in the works and that's a good thing! I just wish they'd hurry up and get a director and a filming date.
  • Conan the Barbarian Is one of my favouraite films of all time, the special edition even better. My concern is the tone of a new film, though not sure a film like the original would be made or accepted in the current movie climate.
    Actually I think it's from August. Still though, it's in the works and that's a good thing! I just wish they'd hurry up and get a director and a filming date.

You're right, I counted incorrectly :P

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hope Thulsa Doom returns as well.
    I hope Thulsa Doom returns as well.

Didn't he lose his head in the original?

He is a wizard. He survived worse in the comics. I haven t read the books.
  • That does bring up a good question though: who would be the ideal villain in a King Conan movie?
    Negro vampires.
    Negro vampires.

?!?!?!?!

Negro vampires.

?!?!?!?!

Blood sucking Africans.
    Negro vampires.

?!?!?!?!

Blood sucking Africans.

I get what you were saying but why? Are they in one of the books or comics that I missed or is your comment just random?

No, I read a comic book storyline in the early 80s which was excellent. By Roy Thomas and John Buscema. They had a terrific run. It may have been from the late 70s, I read a translated version.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    None of them have really captured the spirit of Robert E Howard. But I do like the first film. It does evoke Howard in it's sets and photography and has one of the best music scores ever recorded by the late great Basil Poleduris.

The rest of the films are pretty worthless.

Would be nice to see John Milius involved in some way.

Guy Hamilton was rumoured to direct the third Conan film that never happened. Conan the Conqueror that was scheduled for a 1987 release. Schwarzenegger wanted out.

The script was used for Kull the Conqueror instead, anyone saw that? Conan and King Kull are practically identical anyway.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I'd love to know what happened to the animated Conan film based on Howard's 'Red Nails' story.

I've seen production stills, character designs and voice actors were cast but it seems to have been in limbo for years.

With the new Arnie film, I'd love to see 'Hour of the Dragon' adapted.
    Since this is about Conan as a King, my guess is that it'll be somewhat of an adaptation of Howard's very first Conan story, "The Phoenix on the Sword." It's been years since I've read it but the plot is about an assassination attempt on Conan, who is bored with being a king because there's no adventure in it. At some point Conan ends up fighting a demon and the wizard that summoned it.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 2,594
    I think Terminator is done, they shouldn't make anymore. Predator NEEDS a good sequel with Arnold returning.

Rocky was a brilliant end for the character but I wasn't big on Rambo 4, and I loved the first 3. Luckily we're getting Rambo 5, and Stallone said he wants him to go out in a "blaze of glory"

...with Jesse the Body Ventura!

Damn, it just goes to show you how these older actors appeal never fades. Unfortunately, I find many of these younger actors to be quite generic with a handful of exceptions. Not that Arnold can act very well but he has charisma and is more memorable.

edited August 2017 Posts: 1,812
    This is more Terminator news than it is Conan but Arnold said, “In March next year, I am shooting Terminator 6, James Cameron and David Ellison are back on board and then comes a Conan.”

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3452558/schwarzenegger-confirms-return-terminator-franchise/

Looks like it's still on the way, slowly but surely. I really wish they would just drop the Terminator franchise for awhile and just do another Conan already!
    Cameron? This franchise is doomed.
    @Ludovico You mean for Conan? Right now Cameron is only doing the new Terminator trilogy. I don't think he has anything to do with the new Conan.
    Oh sorry I misread. Thought it said Cameron had decided to tackle Conan. All the same I don't see it happening.
    None of them have really captured the spirit of Robert E Howard. But I do like the first film. It does evoke Howard in it's sets and photography and has one of the best music scores ever recorded by the late great Basil Poleduris.

The rest of the films are pretty worthless.

Would be nice to see John Milius involved in some way.

John Milius had a serious stroke several years ago. There was a great documentary made about him recently.
    Love Conan The Barbarian. Watch it frequently. The sequel and remake were dire.
    Wouldnt bother watching another follow up since its unlikely Milius would be involved. It was he who made the original great!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The documentary is awesome for John Milius' involvement of port in so many well-known classic films
    and no less for his stroke and somewhat recovery shown.
    81P3vhNK2CL._SY679_.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Negro vampires.

I've asked you to refer to me by my real name, Blackula.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The documentary is awesome for John Milius' involvement of port in so many well-known classic films
    81P3vhNK2CL._SY679_.jpg

I watched that a few years ago excellent documentary, the group Milius learnt his craft with will never be beaten.
    81P3vhNK2CL._SY679_.jpg
    Thanks for bringing that documentary to my attention, lads! I´m eager to watch it!