Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'll add TSWLM to that; I like The Hamlsh score but one by Barry would have made a great film even greater.
    As i said elsewhere, am not too fond of TSWLM, so really not bothered there! Even the legend that is Barry wouldn't have lifted it for me!
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,469
    For Your Eyes Only
    One of the film's redeeming qualities is Sir Roger I must say. An improvement over his (still decent) "by the numbers" approach in the previous movie. Here he plays it less for laughs and adds more gravitas to his line delivery by not overdoing anything.
    This is key for me too. I can forgive a lot (like FYEO's weaker moments) if a few Bond elements are close enough to the bullseye, and one was Moore's performance here. He seems much more dispassionate, almost a bit world-weary (not quite like he could chuck it all in though), and more wary than in the previous films. Of course the producers wanted a change after MR, which I also like (for a long time FYEO was my sentimental favorite Bond film, being one of the first I saw in the theater)--but I also wonder if Moore had to wait until FYEO before his age gave him that gravitas. Ultimately, for me most of the success of a Bond film (or any other film for that matter) comes down to the story and writing.

The last I saw a week or two ago was TMWTGG, and I enjoyed it again. I could feel Ian Fleming's hand on the story. Many would agree not the strongest Bond film, but with its own charm and fairly unique in the canon--like FYEO! Another "plus" for FYEO I think was the setting in Greece. I don't think we'd seen Bond there before, had we? Not wishing that my last word here should be about the music, but I actually like some of the music and think it fits well in this movie and in the scenes, given when it was made, though I agree Barry was the master.

Oh--and this time with TMWTGG, during the scene at Fat's martial arts academy, I was looking out for one of Hip's nieces--Yuen Qiu, who you may know later starred in Kung Fu Hustle as the Landlady (with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth and curlers in her hair).
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,884
    Thrasos wrote: »
    For Your Eyes Only
    One of the film's redeeming qualities is Sir Roger I must say. An improvement over his (still decent) "by the numbers" approach in the previous movie. Here he plays it less for laughs and adds more gravitas to his line delivery by not overdoing anything.
    This is key for me too. I can forgive a lot (like FYEO's weaker moments) if a few Bond elements are close enough to the bullseye, and one was Moore's performance here. He seems much more dispassionate, almost a bit world-weary (not quite like he could chuck it all in though), and more wary than in the previous films. Of course the producers wanted a change after MR, which I also like (for a long time FYEO was my sentimental favorite Bond film, being one of the first I saw in the theater)--but I also wonder if Moore had to wait until FYEO before his age gave him that gravitas. Ultimately, for me most of the success of a Bond film (or any other film for that matter) comes down to the story and writing.

The last I saw a week or two ago was TMWTGG, and I enjoyed it again. I could feel Ian Fleming's hand on the story. Many would agree not the strongest Bond film, but with its own charm and fairly unique in the canon--like FYEO! Another "plus" for FYEO I think was the setting in Greece. I don't think we'd seen Bond there before, had we? Not wishing that my last word here should be about the music, but I actually like some of the music and think it fits well in this movie and in the scenes, given when it was made, though I agree Barry was the master.

Oh--and this time with TMWTGG, during the scene at Fat's martial arts academy, I was looking out for one of Hip's nieces--Yuen Qiu, who you may know later starred in Kung Fu Hustle as the Landlady (with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth and curlers in her hair).

Yeah Moore's age actually worked well with the script. The writers molded the story around him really. I'm sure if there was another actor playing Bond (which was a possibility back then) we wouldn't see him turn down Bibi, or not kiss Melina on-screen* etc...

P.S. Didn't know that was the same actress! Nice find.

*Edit: okay, once.
  • Just watched GE. What a movie let down by that score. So many moments are just filled with dead air. Imagine the whole helicopter hijack scene with a David Arnold pulse instead of Eric Serra tapping an industrial sound drum on his computer...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would rather say the score was let down by the movie.
    Just finished Dr. No. Nice way to start the summer with early Connery Bond doing his business in Jamaica. DN was just as good as the last time I saw it; never a dull moment, and great performances all around. I'll try to make time for Thunderball tomorrow, making it some sort of double-bill with Bond-movies that pair well together location-wise.

As always with the Bond-films, I try to look out for some interesting details. The only one to come to mind from seeing DN tonight, was Miss Taro's turntable. Tried to find out what make and/or model it was, but couldn't find too much information about it.
    Have any other double bills planned with that theme?
    Have any other double bills planned with that theme?

Yes, I do -this one and a couple more double-bills, hopefully. Got some tips here on this thread some months back to which films could be a good pairing. Will have to go back to these comments and take it from there. :-)
    Octopussy

They finally found the 'sweet spot' between MR's campyness and FYEO's dullness. Glen's second best effort after TLD imo.

In OP, Moore gives his 'tried and tested' performance and although it's not anywhere near perfect, it still fits the film nicely. Having said that, some of his finest moments as Bond are in this film. One being the dice (die?) scene. "Double sixes. Fancy that?", he says whilst not taking his gaze off Khan. He just looks so incredibly proud of himself and there's even a little smirk as if he's challenging Khan to react. Such a wonderful moment.

Another one of his finest moments is his marathon to the Air Force Base. What works is the gradual building of tension with the increasing amount of hurdles. First he can't get a ride, then no chance to call HQ... he's desperate enough to steal a car. He's got the German police on his back, half of the US military and when he eventually gets to Octopussy with the last fiber working in his body; nobody believes him. It's tragic too, because of the clown suit. The juxtaposition of the desperation on his face with his outfit and the innocent laughs from the audience.... he's all by himself and you sympathize with that. What I love about the whole thing is that we see Bond being everything the character ought to be: selfless (driving into a nuclear blast zone for pete's sake!!), daring, determined and awesome. [Shout out to the "That's for 009" kill too.]

The rest of the cast does an excellent job. Jourdan has great presence and has some great dialogue with Sir Roger. Vijay adds some welcomed comic relief to the film and I like the tennis references. Magda is drop-dead beautiful, and balances Adam's more 'experienced' role - which she does with great success alongside Moore btw. The two have the best chemistry imo. Another worthy addition is Gobinda. Love his comedic scenes such as the failing car ignition, or when something rams the nuke and he doesn't breathe for a quick moment. :D

In conclusion, OP brings back the right amount of fun and tension that the JB films should always aim for. It's not perfect, but I'll be damned if there aren't some of the greatest moments of all time in this film.
    Another one of his finest moments is his marathon to the Air Force Base. What works is the gradual building of tension with the increasing amount of hurdles. First he can't get a ride, then no chance to call HQ... he's desperate enough to steal a car. He's got the German police on his back, half of the US military and when he eventually gets to Octopussy with the last fiber working in his body; nobody believes him. It's tragic too, because of the clown suit. The juxtaposition of the desperation on his face with his outfit and the innocent laughs from the audience.... he's all by himself and you sympathize with that. What I love about the whole thing is that we see Bond being everything the character ought to be: selfless (driving into a nuclear blast zone for pete's sake!!), daring, determined and awesome. [Shout out to the "That's for 009" kill too.]

I've always loved this part, but now that you describe it like that, I love it even more.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,983
    The clown suit has never bothered me as it does some; in fact I find it very effective. Bond's willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The clown suit has never bothered me as it does some; in fact I find it very effective. Bond's willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

It is the effectivity that is ludicrous. If they went with a mask of some sort, it would be more believable.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 17,295
    Continued my "location double-bill" with Thunderball tonight. This is Bond the way I like it; a confident Bond performance by Connery, set in a very beautiful Bahamas - which looks as good as it get with the great cinematography. Like always TB is a treat to watch, from start to finish.

I also tried to look out for some details with TB - like with DN last night. Didn't find much, but a couple of things caught my eye. The reel tape recorder playing the message from SPECTRE at the MI6 conference, is a UHER 4000 Report-S. Would be a fun thing to have.

The other thing I noticed, is the usage of light wood paneling. Both the Shrublands health clinic and the Nassau hotel have walls with similar wood panels. Not that interesting, but still a detail.
    Example and another example.

The double-bill itself was quite interesting. Having Bond at similar (main) locations did almost make it feel like he didn't leave the Caribbean after DN (if you don't count the pre-title sequence and the health clinic part in TB). It was also a reminder how good any sequence will look in locations like Jamaica and the Bahamas!
    A View To a Kill

The last traditional James Bond film.

I'll say it now to avoid any misunderstanding - Moore's last outing as Bond is a guilty pleasure of mine. Sue me.

Before you shout "Blasphemy" ala Solitaire, let me start with what doesn't work: the Beach Boys in the PTS. What a terrible idea it was. The fights scenes are 50/50 at being good, but the warehouse brawl is quite bad imo. Moore's physicality just wasn't what it once was. Another issue with the film is the extended time at the horse stables/estate, which could've been shortened without losing any important story elements.

Anyhow, as previously stated this film is a delight to watch. Many things that bug most fans, don't bother me in the slightest (I'll get to Miss Sutton in a moment). This film - including LALD - uses the US to great effect. In some Bond films it just doesn't feel right, but here all the characters work perfectly with their surroundings/other actors. The city hall scene, and yes, the firetruck chase, are fantastic. No idea why people repeatedly say that Moore looked like he was phoning in his performance on the firetruck... he's just doing it fine. Anyway, the chase is thrilling and rather unique considering the fact that Stacy is driving it and not Bond. Love the police tailing them behind. [Btw- I like the Dick Tracy line. He's not referring to Bond naming himself, but to the fact that he's part of the British Secret Service - as Stacy points out.] Also, the fact that they even got permission to film all this on location is testament to the power of Bond films.

Even though Sir Roger stated that he "knew" this film wouldn't be as good as the others, I think he was undervaluing himself - as he always did. Sure, he was old, but I'd like to see some of you guys try the things he did in this film at ~58 and you'll probably look at him with more respect. These films were arduous to make (>5 month shoot) and he still gave it his best shot. What more do you want? He doesn't get as many great lines in this film in comparison to the other films, but it's the interactions he has which are his strong suit. Bond and Tibbett make a fun duo and when he discovers him dead (awesome death btw), you can really feel the disgust and anger displayed on his face. Finally, his "relationship" with Stacy comes across as genuine and at no point does Bond seem like her father (as in FYEO for example). He takes care for her as any decent gentleman would, and only advances when the job's done.

Speaking of Stacy: most underappreciated Bond girl without a f*cking doubt. How to describe her character best? Saavy, not sassy. She has many good qualities, is grounded in reality and doesn't ever come across as needy or cold. She's rather intelligent as well (Geologist) and knows right from wrong. She respects her heritage like any normal person would and even takes the moral high ground when shredding Zorin's cheque. Even Bond questions that decision with a confused stare. Stacy outsmarts Bond at her house (could've technically killed him too), she saves his life at least twice and of course she aids Bond on his mission. And about the screaming... it's realistic because she's about to be burnt alive in an elevator (lift) shaft. Anybody would scream like mad in that situation ffs

Onto the villains. Zorin has become a favorite of mine, I must admit. He's an insane, psychotic maniac. Walken adds a lot to the role with his improvised laughs, like during the massacre shooting or before he falls off the bridge. I hate to say it, but once again; realism. At least it's believable for a maniac, no? He's the precursor to Onatopp, because it's as if he enjoys killing people - and not just anyone, but his loyal staff. His reactions in this film are priceless. A dozen useful gifs could be created from this character alone. And it feels organic and not like he's acting, you really believe what he's doing and why he's doing it. A notable moment is when he comments (almost to himself) that Bond is "way out of his depth" and says how Bond and Stacy formed a 'team' together. This small observation shows us how Zorin thinks, but also how curt he is when he talks.

Mayday is also a gem. The love scene is too awkward for my taste, but other than that blip, she is a worthy henchwoman. What I love about the character is how odd she is. Her clothes, her attitude, or even her methods of killing. She also has a character arc in this film and that is unheard of (for a villain) in the JB films. I like the fact that she turns on Zorin and redeems herself with the ultimate sacrifice. Also enjoy the way she then suddenly acts differently with Bond (makes sense though) and commands him. Side note: you really know that Zorin is truly a nuts when she calls him a creep. Just think about that.

At the end of the day, this film is a treat to watch and I get a lot of joy out of it. Shame that it gets less credit than it deserves...

Well that's the end of my tribute to Sir Roger Moore. Au revoir Mr. Bond. ;)
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    @BondAficionado

I also enjoy A View to a Kill a lot.
    The Man with the Golden Gun. Near the bottom of my list, but still pretty enjoyable; I like all the films to some extent. Christopher Lee is the biggest highlight.
    I know they don't do remakes, but an adaptation of TMWTGG with Daniel Craig, and perhaps Benedict Cumberbatch as his nemesis, could be interesting.
    I would prefer the premise done in a serious tone. But I'd rather Craig's next/probable last be an original.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 684
    mattjoes wrote: »

I've always loved this part, but now that you describe it like that, I love it even more.
    What nicely underlines the scene for me is that 'Bond dressed as a clown' extends in spirit to the way Moore approached the character over his tenure. Its a nice reversal that here, at the climax of the film, saving the world comes down to nothing more than his Bond (of all Bonds) being taken seriously.

Any of the Bonds dressed as a clown would've worked for story purposes, but with Rog it becomes all the more poignant.
    talos7 wrote: »

It is the effectivity that is ludicrous. If they went with a mask of some sort, it would be more believable.

I do love the sequence, but—everything I said above notwithstanding—I get where you're coming from on this.
    Speaking of Stacy: most underappreciated Bond girl without a f*cking doubt. How to describe her character best? Saavy, not sassy. She has many good qualities, is grounded in reality and doesn't ever come across as needy or cold. She's rather intelligent as well (Geologist) and knows right from wrong. She respects her heritage like any normal person would and even takes the moral high ground when shredding Zorin's cheque. Even Bond questions that decision with a confused stare. Stacy outsmarts Bond at her house (could've technically killed him too), she saves his life at least twice and of course she aids Bond on his mission. And about the screaming... it's realistic because she's about to be burnt alive in an elevator (lift) shaft. Anybody would scream like mad in that situation ffs

I like the Stacey of the first 2/3rds. That Stacey is arguably the best of the (admittedly weak) crop of 80s Bond women. Part of the problem with her thereafter, though, is that from the firetruck chase through to the end is mostly action. The first two thirds has a nice bit of investigating going on. She works better in this atmosphere. She's an ordinary women, caught up in Bond's world and hasn't yet had to confront anything extraordinary. Sure, the goons attack her at home, and Bond mows them down with her shotgun -- but she knows it's full of rocksalt (which is a nice hint that her character is more bark than bite). It's not killing, so that sequence amounts to nothing more than a fist fight, and any early display of damsel-in-distress there in that scene is diluted by the earlier, stronger impression we've had of the character. Once she's driving a fire truck or escaping a flooded mine, however, we see her 'no bite' in action, and she (rightly to her character, even) becomes a screaming damsel. Which, though realistic, is nevertheless annoying. At that point she's just baggage Bond has to worry about and as a character becomes meaningless to the story.

Natalya is a useful example of how to proper handle an ordinary girl getting caught up with Bond, emotive responses and all.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Die Another Day

Haven't seen this for quite a while and quite enjoyed it. It's definitely the weakest of the Brosnan Bonds but it sets the tone early on and doesn't deviate from it so at least it's consistent in its silliness,

Have always enjoyed the PTS. It sets everything up for the rest of the film and the action is good.

Could just be me but have the makers deleted a couple of shots from the infamous parachute/surf scene? It doesn't look as bad as I thought it did...maybe my eyes are playing tricks....

Halle Berry is pretty awful in the film. She's fine in the action stuff, but her delivery of every line has her accentuate every innuendo (and there is a lot of them)
    It doesn't help that the dialogue between Bond and Jinx just consists of Double entendres. They never seem to speak to each other in the film, just AT each other.

Action wise the sword fight is good, the Aston ice chase is enjoyable and the climax isn't bad. (Never noticed Bond's sad look when he see's the dead Miranda Frost before) but the best sequence is at the gene therapy clinic. Some good moments and nice action, spoiled slightly by the awful effect of Jinx diving into the sea.

Arnold's score is excellent with his action cues being especially good. Could have sworn I heard a CR cue in the scene just after he discovers the hidden film crew in the hotel room.

So all very enjoyable but obviously flyweight compared to the Craig films, and you could see after this film the makers had nowhere else to go with the Brosnan Bond.
    I do enjoy Toby Stephens in the film. The smarmy OTT Gustav Graves is hilarious.

"Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed"
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I do enjoy Toby Stephens in the film. The smarmy OTT Gustav Graves is hilarious.

"Japan is a bug waiting to be squashed"

He is very good in the film. His performance is note perfect for this enjoyably silly film.

He actually mirrors Will Yun Lee's performance in the film shows his acting skill.

Loved him in the fencing scene....."COURSE I WANNA BLOODY CONTINUE!!!!!"
    Hmm. Looks like I forget to mention John Barry's AVTAK score... Definitely one of the better ones in the whole franchise. He's able to capture the scale and absurdity of some of the action to great effect. But Barry also succeeds during the quieter moments of the film. My personal favourite is the melody you usually hear when we see Stacy. I know that it's basically a slow version of the title-song, but it's much more majestic in its nature. Apropos title-song: best of all time. It's probably the reason why I like the score, because Barry makes great use of it throughout the film.

Strog wrote: »
    I like the Stacey of the first 2/3rds. That Stacey is arguably the best of the (admittedly weak) crop of 80s Bond women. Part of the problem with her thereafter, though, is that from the firetruck chase through to the end is mostly action. The first two thirds has a nice bit of investigating going on. She works better in this atmosphere. She's an ordinary women, caught up in Bond's world and hasn't yet had to confront anything extraordinary. Sure, the goons attack her at home, and Bond mows them down with her shotgun -- but she knows it's full of rocksalt (which is a nice hint that her character is more bark than bite). It's not killing, so that sequence amounts to nothing more than a fist fight, and any early display of damsel-in-distress there in that scene is diluted by the earlier, stronger impression we've had of the character. Once she's driving a fire truck or escaping a flooded mine, however, we see her 'no bite' in action, and she (rightly to her character, even) becomes a screaming damsel. Which, though realistic, is nevertheless annoying. At that point she's just baggage Bond has to worry about and as a character becomes meaningless to the story.

Natalya is a useful example of how to proper handle an ordinary girl getting caught up with Bond, emotive responses and all.

The last 3rd of AVTAK is mainly action you say? Well the same generalization applies to Goldeneye then. Also, what does Natalya do post hacking the satellite? Now you're going to say that she saved Bond's life with the chopper, which is a fact, but Stacy also saves Bond's life on the GG bridge by attacking Zorin inside the blimp, which makes it stay put.

Rocksalt is normally, like you said, not used for killing but used as a deterrent. However, rocksalt can be considered lethal if you're in close range to your victim. That's why I pointed out that she might of killed Bond had she shot him.

I don't find the screaming annoying, but I can see why others get pissed off at it. Some of us appreciate the realism given to her character, whereas others would rather see her shut up and make the film lifeless and empty.

Btw, how did Natalya know how to use a gun with such confidence??

Probably brought one as protection to fend off advances from Boris.
    Thunderball. Always great and rewatchable.

All this talk about AVTAK makes me want to see it again. Might want to add one more of Moore's and make it a double-feature. Any tips to which one I should choose? First thought was OP, but I'm open to suggestions!

Also thinking about doing a GF/DAF double-bill soon. After DN/TB this weekend, I think these double-features can be something to keep doing.
    Why not LALD/AVTAK? Both set in the US, plus Moore s first and last.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Probably brought one as protection to fend off advances from Boris.

With it being Russia, I wouldn't be surprised if Natalya had to learn from a short mandatory stint in the military. Either way, her knowing how to use a gun wouldn't be a point against her sense of realism anyway, nor should it be. It's a gun and very simple (hence their go-to state as weapons) not rocket science.

I think Tatiana is an even better example of a real and raw Bond girl that perfectly recreates a woman wrapped up in a world that is much larger than her and full of danger. Perhaps the best we've ever had.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    All this talk about AVTAK makes me want to see it again.
    I'm thinking of doing the same, also on account of these excellent reviews and discussion of the film. I've never been all that impressed with AVTAK or Stacy really. I've always found the film a bit underwhelming, pedestrian & even sadly a bit geriatric in a way (it's particularly apparent at the Ascot scene).

Still, all these positive comments are compelling me to give it another viewing!