The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Contrary to a lot of other members I love the fight at Stacey's house ,and the score is brilliant.

Sir Roger fights a lot in this scene,showing he still has the mojo.
    AVTAK is actually a very serious Bond film......pretty dark if you study it properly...I must say I'm enjoying it,seeing it in a new light.

And the whole cast are pretty good.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I can understand Stacey's screams inside city hall ,its a shit situation.

But the drunk man syndrome and the new J.W Pepper in the police officer ruins an otherwise very tense scene.

But that's only a small quibble,i am enjoying this...and comparing this to GF,the amount of energy Sir Roger puts into his performance over Sir Sean is very noticeable....
    Not a good image for the SFPD ....
    One thing that's always bothered me about that city hall section is how neither Bond or Stacey have a hair out of place after the fire.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    One thing that's always bothered me about that city hall section is how neither Bond or Stacey have a hair out of place after the fire.

The hair spray in 1985 was excellent.... ;)
    The mine massacre is pretty intense,i like it,shows Zorin's madness,being a Nazi steroid child...im amazed now that when I watched this at 15 it was a PG film.
    It certainly was.
    One of the best final fights in the series ,between Bond and Zorin ,on the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge...this film is definitely moving up my list.

AVTAK is over.

And,even though I am considering a triple bill of Bonds today,that might be it ....I will show my results on the film rankings in a minute.
    I watched AVTAK yesterday actually. To me it never gets old. Although not a favorite by many, I always loved it.
    If you check my rankings ,it has moved up 4 places ;)
    Interesting list barry007! I always wondered your reasons for having TLD dead last though ? We all know your thoughts on Kara, but the movie itself? Have you read Flemings short story? And you rank LTK pretty high so what was different in Dalton for you?
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I think AVTAK has a weak PTS. Too many obvious models and bland direction of the action...and Rog sleazing it up with a pin-up.

Compared to the ski sequences in Spy and FYEO it feels very tame and by-the-numbers.
    Yes I've read the story @Mathis1 ...I just feel the combination of Kara,a soppy Dalton,and the terrible Afghanistan scenes (as well as the boring villains) doesn't do it for me.
    Only the PTS ,and strangely,the final face-off with Whitaker appeal,of course the Pushkin interrogation scene as well.

LTK is just more entertaining,and you feel that Bond may have over-stretched himself and is in serious peril against a whole host of seriously bad villains.

Add the 'destruction from inside the organisation' and it wins hands down for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, this was before CFC was banned. There was always snow in the winter, too.

Yes, this was before CFC was banned. There was always snow in the winter, too.

Snow in the winter.....happy days,alas a long time ago.
    Yes, but there was also the matter of the hole in the ozone layer.
    Still is me olde matey,whats left of it,alas.
    Yes I've read the story @Mathis1 ...I just feel the combination of Kara,a soppy Dalton,and the terrible Afghanistan scenes (as well as the boring villains) doesn't do it for me.
    Only the PTS ,and strangely,the final face-off with Whitaker appeal,of course the Pushkin interrogation scene as well.

LTK is just more entertaining,and you feel that Bond may have over-stretched himself and is in serious peril against a whole host of seriously bad villains.

Add the 'destruction from inside the organisation' and it wins hands down for me.

Cant ever see Dalton as "soppy"! He's terrific in the opening scene, the briefing at Blayden house...., in fact ALL his scenes!
    It just has Fleming all over it, and Michael Wilson and Richard Maibaum do a great job of expanding on the short story! Theres so much to enjoy. Its second only after OHMSS for me for sheer Bondian entertainment!
    Oh and i really like Kara!!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Cant ever see Dalton as "soppy"! He's terrific in the opening scene, the briefing at Blayden house...., in fact ALL his scenes!
    It just has Fleming all over it, and Michael Wilson and Richard Maibaum do a great job of expanding on the short story! Theres so much to enjoy. Its second only after OHMSS for me for sheer Bondian entertainment!
    Oh and i really like Kara!!

Then we beg to differ matey ;)
    I like Dalton in TLD but he and Kara do creep into soppy territory a bit.

TLD has its flaws but I consider it a stronger film in terms of direction and story to AVTAK.
    Very much! But your list is good apart from that blip! Only DAD should be taking up that last spot imho!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Very much! But your list is good apart from that blip! Only DAD should be taking up that last spot imho!

DAD entertains me.....TLD is a hard slog and not a 'pick up and enjoy' Bond film,
    DAD an insult to Fleming and an insult to Bond fans imho. Its the only Bond film that I have switched off more than once!
    It is an insult to humanity.
    The only Bond film I have actually physically switched off mid-watch because I've lost interest is DAF.

While I like TLD one character I flatly refuse to budge on regarding my opinion is Miss Bliss.

Anyway, AVTAK. Has a few good aspects but overall a weak Bond film. An opinion echoed by its star.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,165
    Just finished a re-watch of FRWL. What the heck happened to their little friend who disarmed the nukes? Did he seriously betray Largo just to get left floating in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean?

Edit: Not sure what I was thinking there. Thunderball, not FRWL!
    Dont you mean TB?
    U mean TB, I take it ?, not FRWL ?
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Sorry, I did mean TB. Doh!