The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Kerim wrote:
    All I have to say is that I totally agree.

Does anyone else find it coincidental that Bond surfed in two of the worst films of the franchise?
    We'll give AVTAK a few points. At least it wasn't CGI.
    B-)
    The surfing at the start of DAD is actually quite cool and more impressive than Moore's California Girls stuff.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The surfing at the start of DAD is actually quite cool and more impressive than Moore's California Girls stuff.

Agreed. I actually quite liked it. And Arnold's music stayed consistent with the action on-screen.

• Oh I couldn't agree more. It ruins an otherwise great PTS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:

I was more referring to the windsurfing at the end of the film. X_X
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I don't think Bond should surf. It just doesn't fit the character; it feels too American (or possibly Australian) somehow.

In AVTAK it was an emergency escape, so that makes more sense than surfing to begin the mission in DAD.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    echo wrote:
    In AVTAK it was an emergency escape, so that makes more sense than surfing to begin the mission in DAD.

Why were they surfing in to begin a mission anyway? Those agents could have easily been spotted by the guards on the beach or worse.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    echo wrote:

Why were they surfing in to begin a mission anyway? Those agents could have easily been spotted by the guards on the beach or worse.

Remember, they had dark 'camouflage' on that we were lead to believe caused them to hide within the waves.

But your right, just how else are you supposed to get agents there? Cant exactly HALO jump over North Korea.
  • I have no idea how this ever got into the film. It really takes you out of the film, once John Barry kicks back in it's a great relief. Surely someone should have stood up and said, "John Glen... this just isn't Bond".
  • Of course The Beach Boys should not have been included. A View To A Kill has it's share of adolescent nonsense as it is and putting that music into the teaser was just an insult to injury when you review the whole film. Bond is supposed to be on a serious mission to retrieve a microship in the arctic wastelands of Siberia and while not the most exciting of James Bond pre credit sequences there was an element of seriousness about it but once the ill advised 'California Girls' kicks in, it just descends into nonsense territory that is neither amusing or entertaining. By the grace of god it only lasts a short time but nonetheless should never have been put in. It set the tone for the rest of the movie particularly towards the final third
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Kerim wrote:

Does anyone else find it coincidental that Bond surfed in two of the worst films of the franchise?
    We'll give AVTAK a few points. At least it wasn't CGI.
    B-)

That is a valid point which cannot be disputed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 038</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The score for TSWLM is underrated.</b></font>
    Totally agree. Classic score. Classic ski chase.
    I like it. Yes its very '70s' but it works IMO.
    I'm not really sure how other people view the score in terms of quality, but I would say I quite like it, I like how Nobody Does It Better is intergrated throughout the film!
    It is a vital part of the identity of TSWLM and contains some excellent music. I love Bond 77.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Never was a fan of the disco style score and the barbershop quartet at the end. John Barry was sorely missed in TSWLM.
    I really enjoyed the score of TSWLM. Like i mentioned before its nice when the title song is used for counter melodies throughout the movie. The trick ofcourse is to get a great title track!
  • Kerim wrote:

Even outside of bond I think surfing is a curse to films. Point break is the only REALLY good film I've ever seen that involves surfing.
  • 038- agree. I like the music that plays during the ski chase and the car scene. TSWLM is an awesome film, one of the best bond fils ever.
    I have tried many times to love the score for TSWLM but I just can't help but hating it. I'm sure it was very effective at the time but watching it now it brings a classic film down a little bit. It has charm and I sort of enjoy the ski chase music but it is just ruined by that darn cowbell!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:

How? It was nominated for an Oscar(something none of John Barry's Bond scores received) so I would say no.

DarthDimi wrote:

How? It was nominated for an Oscar(something none of John Barry's Bond scores received) so I would say no.

Its long been known not to base skill on awards. The Academy is very.. peculiar.. in their selections.
    Maybe on this forum yes. But as PKK said above it's received it's Oscar nod, and plus NDIB is still well known and played on radio; not something you can really say about the great Barry themes. So to answer the thesis: no
    The score is an integral part of a classic Bond movie. A real high point of the series and of Roger's time as Bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Those who like it, like it. Those that don't, don't. So going by that logic it's not underrated.

As for the Beach Boy's song Glen wanted to add a "humorous twist" to the scene...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Agree with the thesis. Nobody Does It Better is so good that it elevates the entire score.

It really should have won the Oscar. Who listens to You Light Up My Life (without cringing) anymore?
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,310
    echo wrote:
    Agree with the thesis. Nobody Does It Better is so good that it elevates the entire score.

It really should have won the Oscar. Who listens to You Light Up My Life (without cringing) anymore?
    Nobody Does It Better for sure deserved the Oscar!

As far as the best score goes, Star Wars deserved the Oscar 500 times over.
    SJK91 wrote:
    echo wrote:

That must have been a rare occassion when John Williams didn't win.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Getafix wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    echo wrote:

That must have been a rare occassion when John Williams didn't win.
    Star Wars did actually win for best score! I'm just saying that Star Wars' score was a trillion times better than TSWLM's score, and SW deserved the win it got. ;)