The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

timmer wrote: »
    I think I'll read the Girl episodes reviews. I've never seen the Girl episodes, so reviews can sub for now.
    I burned through the complete series Man Dvd set a few years ago, and recently did a complete 10 film movieathon.

I have the briefcase dvd set, so sometimes I also put on a suit, tuck my communicator into the inside jacket pocket, grab the briefcase and head out the door on a mission ie a sweep for Thrush agents.

Yes the Uncle car was quite exciting, being chased by helicopters on the open road.
    That's about the only episode that readily comes to mind, involving the car.

You're not missing much with the Girl episodes. They're a curiosity at best. I acquired the two DVD sets from eBay for a decent price last year just to have them and have gotten through roughly a third of them. I'd seen most before, but wanted to be a completest. Then again I am more of a plodder rather than a binger, so I have lots of series on DVD and Blu I like to savor.

Another great review blog is here http://benzadmiral-uncle.blogspot.com/
    @BT3366
    Good blog linked above. I read the Uncle 2015 review. Quite interesting. The burning of Uncle Rudi, was yes, a well played scene. Cavill nailed that.
    I will eventually pick up The Girl dvd sets, for completist purposes. The two sets are quite pricey on Amazon.ca.
    Will have to look around.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,622
    I forget if these have been posted, but I found another one I hadn't seen before (even though it was posted in 2014).

The television of Please Don't Eat the Daisies was produced at MGM (UNCLE's studio) and shown on NBC (UNCLE's network).

Illya Kuryakin cameo at the top of an episode.

Napoleon Solo's cameo at the end (note end titles).

These have been on YouTube for some time. But, the following season, there an April Dancer cameo. Again note the end titles.

@waverly

Pat Crowley, lead actress of Please Don't Eat The Daisies, earlier starred in TMFU pilot as lead girl,lead innocent.
    Was Daisies trying to tie her character in with her earlier Uncle role?
    It kind of fits as Solo did return her to her normal suburban family life after her glamorous and dangerous flirtation with the UNCLE spy world, but she doesn't seem to recognize the "government man" Solo, but maybe she wasn't letting on, as her Uncle adventure was top secret, not to be shared with family.
    Robert Vaughn was a national treasure.
  • //Pat Crowley, lead actress of Please Don't Eat The Daisies, earlier starred in TMFU pilot as lead girl,lead innocent.
    Was Daisies trying to tie her character in with her earlier Uncle role?//

Perhaps.

In real life, Please Don't Eat the Daisies was a book written by Jean Kerr. It was made into a movie at MGM with Doris Day and David Niven.

The studio still had the rights so it made a sitcom starring Pat Crowley.

• On the other hand, this "crossover" was unplanned. The set decorator failed to take off the Del Floria's sign.

• In 2014, there was a gathering in Los Angeles to celebrate the show's 50th anniversary. One of the highlights was a live performance of UNCLE music.

A CD with that music is coming out.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/10/u-n-c-l-e-jazz-cd-becoming-available/
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Oh, smashing, that's my best friend's birthday present sorted! (With, perhaps, a sneaky rip before I wrap it.)
    I found the first season on DVD in a charity shop over the weekend, so I have treats in store. I've seen some of these episodes, but nowhere near all, because the B/W ones don't usually get repeated.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    cool!
  • Season One reviews at The Man From UNCLE episode guide
    https://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/about/season-one-1964-1965/
    It turns out I'd never seen the very first episode before, and it is awfully good. Sets the template for the series (apart from it being a bit of a one-man show rather than the partner dynamic, which took a while to develop).

I especially like the relationship with the Girl of the Week, which is nuanced and believable, and the ending, where we see Napoleon
    watch Elaine's reunion with her family, reflect on the lonely life of a secret agent, then shrug and hit on an air hostess.

Perfect.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    It turns out I'd never seen the very first episode before, and it is awfully good. Sets the template for the series (apart from it being a bit of a one-man show rather than the partner dynamic, which took a while to develop).

I especially like the relationship with the Girl of the Week, which is nuanced and believable, and the ending, where we see Napoleon
    watch Elaine's reunion with her family, reflect on the lonely life of a secret agent, then shrug and hit on an air hostess.

Perfect.

Yes, that was well played. Quite liked that scene.
    Sky are selling TMFU film at the moment,on offer at £5.99.
    Its downloaded to your Sky Box ,mobile etc and the DVD is posted to you.

Just in case any of you want to buy it cheap,i'm not,as I thought the film was crap.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just in case any of you want to buy it cheap,i'm not,as I thought the film was crap.
    I'm going to arrange you an appointment with the Doctor, @barryt007! :))
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 19,339

As long as its the new sexy female Doctor Who and not Kaufmann ,then go for it ... :-bd

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As long as its the new sexy female Doctor Who and not Kaufmann ,then go for it ... :-bd
    I was going to say Kauffman but er... there's always Dr. Goodhead. ;)
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 19,339
    I was going to say Kauffman but er... there's always Dr. Goodhead. ;)

Ooh she will do as well...sexy little minx.
    OR Dr Warmflash or Dr Swann....yum yum.

• Some unused music from The Man From UNCLE's final season may have surfaced.

http://bit.ly/2ro7SSQ
  • Aug. 5 is the 53rd anniversary of The Spy With My Face (movie version of The Double Affair) reaching U.K. cinemas.

Here's a look back at a May 1964 script where UNCLE opposed the forces of .... MAGGOTT?

http://bit.ly/2AKq6CI
    Just watched The Finny Foot Affair, which is one of my favourite episodes and contains my favourite line in the whole series, delivered by a young Kurt Russell as Chris:

"Boy, sometimes being a spy doesn't make sense at all!"

You said it, kiddo.
    Your door to all kinds of U.N.C.L.E. stuff; www.theunclefiles.com
    Just this morning I finally got in the post the 8-film DVD set of UNCLE films. I've been wanting it for a long time and was able to get it for a good price. I now officially have all the UNCLE series and films.

I forget if these have been posted, but I found another one I hadn't seen before (even though it was posted in 2014).

The television of Please Don't Eat the Daisies was produced at MGM (UNCLE's studio) and shown on NBC (UNCLE's network).

Illya Kuryakin cameo at the top of an episode.

Napoleon Solo's cameo at the end (note end titles).

These have been on YouTube for some time. But, the following season, there an April Dancer cameo. Again note the end titles.

@waverly

Pat Crowley, lead actress of Please Don't Eat The Daisies, earlier starred in TMFU pilot as lead girl,lead innocent.
    Was Daisies trying to tie her character in with her earlier Uncle role?
    It kind of fits as Solo did return her to her normal suburban family life after her glamorous and dangerous flirtation with the UNCLE spy world, but she doesn't seem to recognize the "government man" Solo, but maybe she wasn't letting on, as her Uncle adventure was top secret, not to be shared with family.

I remember watching those episodes when they aired on french TV way back when I was a kid (so much, so very much younger than today). Haven't seen them since, alas.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Just this morning I finally got in the post the 8-film DVD set of UNCLE films. I've been wanting it for a long time and was able to get it for a good price. I now officially have all the UNCLE series and films.

Good work! Burning thru these 8 films in order is a hoot, and then tag with the 1983 Return of the Man From Uncle, 15 Years Later Affair
    As for complete set, do you also have the Girl From Uncle season.
    That's all I'm missing.
  • Another look at an UNCLE script. This time it's the first part of Alexander the Greater Affair.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/u-n-c-l-e-script-the-shows-popularity-surges-part-i/
    BT3366 wrote: »

Good work! Burning thru these 8 films in order is a hoot, and then tag with the 1983 Return of the Man From Uncle, 15 Years Later Affair
    As for complete set, do you also have the Girl From Uncle season.
    That's all I'm missing.

Thanks. I had fun going through each of them briefly and enjoying the trailers. I noticed the credits of each film all have the same fonts and slow motion so that continuity was interesting.

Yes, I do have both Girl from UNCLE sets, got a good deal on them a couple of years ago on eBay. But it's one of those shows I can only watch in small doses. Just got through the Paradise Lost Affair, which if you know you'll understand why.

I don't see the sets around a lot, but they don't seem to be nearly as expensive as they had been previously. But you're really not missing anything, either.
  • The Girl From UNCLE set is "manufactured on demand." It's not in stores. MOD tends to be more expensive, they're only produced as orders come in. I think the eight-movie set is the same way.
    I only have the 5-movie set, which seems to be what the UK got for some reason.

I also recently bought the Return Of movie and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing it again. Last watched on TV sometime in the 90s, I think!