Return of the Henchmen

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 4,762
    Well, one is from the James Bond Encyclopedia Updated Edition. I can't remember the others, but I'm fairly certain that they came from various James Bond websites.

I guess we could also count Boris Grishenko on the list of henchmen surviving after the main villain's death. He didn't actually duel with 007, but he was the last to go. It would have been hilarious if he did battle with Bond, just to see Bond beat the crud out of him!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,762
    I was watching FRWL the other night, and even though Klebb is not technically a henchman, I love that final duel in the hotel room. I wish it had been longer, but what we got was still really good. Bond even jokes on the phone before she comes in the door about how it should be routine from here on in, but often times it isn't! Really funny, and could be used as a bridge to the following Bond movies like DAF, LALD, and TMWTGG, where just when Bond thinks the mission is behind him, he gets a surprise!
  • Grishenko would of been as much use as Georgi Koskov in a hand to hand battle with Bond. Even Natalya gave him a slap and he nearly went over.

The end bit in Russia with Klebb and Bond in Venice is too short for my liking, she has , as said before, a real opportunity to kill 007 but fails (obviously) but even so. A few brief moments ensue of poison tipped shoes but it's over so soon, Bianchi kills the aforementioned Klebb and Connery survives to spy another day. It is a very good Bond adventure though
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    It's a shame the Craig era has no memorable henchmen

Ahem. Mr. White.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 3,168
    echo wrote:

Ahem. Mr. White.
    Mr. White isn't a henchman. He is some sort of villain, a key figure in the Quantum organisation, much like Largo was for Spectre in TB.

Let's just hope that Ola Rapace, who will probably be Bardems henchman in SF, isn't "wasted" like the least memorable and least threatening henchman in the entire series, Elvis!
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,837
    The next henchman needs something cool to make him stand out. All the best have had something. Even if its just something like a missing hand or a special weapon.
    I think think the character necessarily needs a physical mark to be remembered.

Case and point of Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds. Just an evil evil intelligent man who new how to play both sides.

However, he did get the swatstika engraved on his forehead :P

It'd be cool to have a villain with some kind of scar carved into a shape from someone. But again, I don't think its necessary to make someone memorable.
    My dream Henchman for the Craig era would have to be heavyweight Russian boxer Nikoli Valuev! What an absolute monster of a man! Like Jaws he would only have to be there and have very few lines! Watching David Haye fight him i just could not stop thinkng he would be ideal in a Bond film!

Going on what we know? I am assuming Ola Rapace is gonna be the Henchman? If that amazing stuntman (Whose name escapes me but there is footage and a thread on him somewhere on these forums?) can perform a few numbers on DC? Then we could be in for a treat?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    It's a shame the Craig era has no memorable henchmen. Who was memorable ? Mollaka? Mitchell? Elvis ? Dimitrius? None of them has/will reached cult status like Oddjob, Jaws... in the eyes of the general audience

were characters such as these billed to be henchmen?... or is it just misinterpretation by fans.... IMO, there hasn't been a henchman since Stamper... Zao doesn't count, as i consider him just another villain..... in the two Craig films, i don't consider Elvis, Mollaka, Mitchell or Dimitrius as henchmen - just random bad guys or thugs.. there has been no henchman yet.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Zekidk wrote:
    echo wrote:

Ahem. Mr. White.
    Mr. White isn't a henchman. He is some sort of villain, a key figure in the Quantum organisation, much like Largo was for Spectre in TB.

Let's just hope that Ola Rapace, who will probably be Bardems henchman in SF, isn't "wasted" like the least memorable and least threatening henchman in the entire series, Elvis!

hench·man
    [hench-muhn]
    noun, plural -men.
    an unscrupulous and ruthless subordinate, especially a criminal.

White is a henchman. We just never saw who he's the henchman TO...
    so green was a henchmans henchman.....interesting :P
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    00Beast wrote:
    This is something that I've always liked. In DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, AVTAK, and TND, the henchmen out-live their boss, and come after Bond for a final attack. For some reason, I just find this scenario to be really cool, and I wish that more Bond movies would do this. It would have been neat to see Oddjob come after Bond after the death of Goldfinger, or Gobinda for the death of Kamal Khan. Anyway, what do you think?

I agree. It's called the "sting in the tail" ending. It's kind of like a "teaser" at the end after the main danger has supposedly passed. It's interesting that it was a staple of the Guy Hamilton-directed Bond films.
    Char35t wrote:
    so green was a henchmans henchman.....interesting :P

Not necessarily. Nothing in QoS showed Green below command of White. Lechiffre was, definitely, but Greene and White (whats with the colored names?) never met face to face, so we couldn't be sure.
    echo wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    echo wrote:

Ahem. Mr. White.

hench·man
    [hench-muhn]
    noun, plural -men.
    an unscrupulous and ruthless subordinate, especially a criminal.

White is a henchman. We just never saw who he's the henchman TO...
    If that's the case, Dr.No was a henchman, too!
    00Beast wrote:
    This is something that I've always liked. In DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, AVTAK, and TND, the henchmen out-live their boss, and come after Bond for a final attack. For some reason, I just find this scenario to be really cool, and I wish that more Bond movies would do this. It would have been neat to see Oddjob come after Bond after the death of Goldfinger, or Gobinda for the death of Kamal Khan. Anyway, what do you think?

I agree. It's called the "sting in the tail" ending. It's kind of like a "teaser" at the end after the main danger has supposedly passed. It's interesting that it was a staple of the Guy Hamilton-directed Bond films.

Yep, these are my favorite types of endings, and you're right, Guy Hamilton had this in all of his Bond movies. I really hope SkyFall will do this not for a nod to the past, but simply because these endings are a real surprise and make the ending much more memorable! When I first saw DAF, I was so surprised to see Wint and Kidd at the end! I hope this same surprise will be present with SkyFall.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Here's a wild idea. Bring back a giant henchman. Since part of SF is taking place in Shanghai, use retired NBA star Yao Ming as a henchman.

We really do need to bring the memorable henchmen back. Haven't had a good henchperson since GE.
    Kerim wrote:
    Here's a wild idea. Bring back a giant henchman. Since part of SF is taking place in Shanghai, use retired NBA star Yao Ming as a henchman.

We really do need to bring the memorable henchmen back. Haven't had a good henchperson since GE.

I agree! We need the big, larger-than-life henchman to return! Everyone remembers Red Grant, Oddjob, Tee Hee, Baron Samedi, Nick Nack, Jaws, Gobinda, Necros, and Stamper. On the flip side, would anyone remember Elvis a few years down the road? Absolutely not!
    Kerim wrote:

Good call. Also, there must be really massive Turkish actors out there to act as Bardem's main muscle!

BAIN123 wrote:
    <blockquote rel="00Beast">@DaltonCraig007: If you think about it, TWINE had no memorable henchmen, and Die Another Day had Zao, who was pretty cheesy if you ask me.</blockquote>

I suppose you could technically count Renard as a "henchman" to Electra's main villainess. He also outlives her and comes back for one final showdown with Bond.

The idea of henchmen outliving the main villain started with DAF and continued to the next few films. They seem to have discarded the idea since Renaud. I kinda liked the idea.
    And yes, Craig needs a good strong evil henchman in the upcoming film!
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    <blockquote rel="00Beast">@DaltonCraig007: If you think about it, TWINE had no memorable henchmen, and Die Another Day had Zao, who was pretty cheesy if you ask me.</blockquote>

I suppose you could technically count Renard as a "henchman" to Electra's main villainess. He also outlives her and comes back for one final showdown with Bond.

The idea of henchmen outliving the main villain started with DAF and continued to the next few films. They seem to have discarded the idea since Renaud. I kinda liked the idea.
    And yes, Craig needs a good strong evil henchman in the upcoming film!

Yeah I also love that trend of the henchman surviving after the main villain has died. It's really thrilling when you think it's al over, and then there's still one last guy to get through. My favorites of this are Tee Hee and Stamper.
  • It is disappointing that Daniel Craig's James Bond Era does not have any memorable Bond Henchmen. But there's still time. I would like to Tom Hardy as Oddjob or Jaws. Or Tom Hardy could play Oddjob & Michael Shannon could play Jaws.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is disappointing that Daniel Craig's James Bond Era does not have any memorable Bond Henchmen. But there's still time. I would like to Tom Hardy as Oddjob or Jaws. Or Tom Hardy could play Oddjob & Michael Shannon could play Jaws.
    To be truthful it doesn't fit for his era. Though, I find Kratt to be cool. An actions louder than words chap through and through. :))

I still contest that Mr. White should be considered a henchman.
  • Quantum07 wrote:

And I'd say he should be considered a villain. I would even go so far as to call him the main villain of CR.

Well, okay, maybe that's going too far. Bond is trying to stop Le Chiffre throughout the movie, so he's the main villain. But still, calling Mr. White a henchman is like calling Blofeld in FRWL and TB a henchman. I know White isn't the leader of Quantum, but he's up there.
    Quantum07 wrote:

And I'd say he should be considered a villain. I would even go so far as to call him the main villain of CR.

Well, okay, maybe that's going too far. Bond is trying to stop Le Chiffre throughout the movie, so he's the main villain. But still, calling Mr. White a henchman is like calling Blofeld in FRWL and TB a henchman. I know White isn't the leader of Quantum, but he's up there.

I don't think your comparison to Blofeld in FRWL really holds up, after all he is referred to as "Number 1" the whole time, and its very clear that Blofeld doesn't take orders from anyone. I doubt that Mr. White holds a comparable position in QUANTUM; in CR he's basically babysitting LeChiffre the whole time and even has to travel into the middle of the African jungle (Blofeld would never engage in field work like this) to monitor him. When he finally gets his orders, he kills LeChiffre and begins to try and reclaim the money for QUANTUM.

I think that Mr. White is a henchman to someone in CR and QoS, we just don't know who.... yet! (dun dun dun!!)
  • Quantum07 wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:

I don't think your comparison to Blofeld in FRWL really holds up, after all he is referred to as "Number 1" the whole time, and its very clear that Blofeld doesn't take orders from anyone. I doubt that Mr. White holds a comparable position in QUANTUM; in CR he's basically babysitting LeChiffre the whole time and even has to travel into the middle of the African jungle (Blofeld would never engage in field work like this) to monitor him. When he finally gets his orders, he kills LeChiffre and begins to try and reclaim the money for QUANTUM.

I think that Mr. White is a henchman to someone in CR and QoS, we just don't know who.... yet! (dun dun dun!!)

I agree that my comparison to Blofeld is a bit flimsy, since he and White doesn't hold similar positions within their organisation. However, calling him a henchman simply because he's not number 1 is just foolish. So Le Chiffre isn't a villain either? Dominic Greene? Emilio Largo? Rosa Klebb? All of these weren't the head of their organisation.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    We still don't know how high up the ladder White's power goes, so let's wait and see.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135

I agree that my comparison to Blofeld is a bit flimsy, since he and White doesn't hold similar positions within their organisation. However, calling him a henchman simply because he's not number 1 is just foolish. So Le Chiffre isn't a villain either? Dominic Greene? Emilio Largo? Rosa Klebb? All of these weren't the head of their organisation.

The villains you list could be considered the main villains of their respective films. Yes they are working for someone, but they are each in charge of the central evil plot of each film. I would not consider White more important than either Le Chiffre or Greene when it comes to the central plot/evil scheme of CR or QoS. I think that he could be considered a henchman of QUANTUM who's just running around in the subplots of each film and cleaning things up a bit. And I don't see anything foolish about my opinion at all.
  • Quantum07 wrote:

The villains you list could be considered the main villains of their respective films. Yes they are working for someone, but they are each in charge of the central evil plot of each film. I would not consider White more important than either Le Chiffre or Greene when it comes to the central plot/evil scheme of CR or QoS. I think that he could be considered a henchman of QUANTUM who's just running around in the subplots of each film and cleaning things up a bit. And I don't see anything foolish about my opinion at all.

True, he's definitely a henchman to the leader of Quantum, I won't argue with you there. It's just, when I hear the word henchman in a Bond movie, I think of the people working for the main villain. That's how it's always been. In CR the henchmen are Dimitrios, Kratt and Carlos. In QoS it's Elvis, primarily. I'm still a bit unsure of whether or not to call Medrano a henchman or an accomplice.

Anyhow, White's authority over Le Chiffre simply makes him more than henchman, but less than the main villain. I'd say he's one of the villains, same as in OP and TLD.
    Quantum07 wrote:

True, he's definitely a henchman to the leader of Quantum, I won't argue with you there. It's just, when I hear the word henchman in a Bond movie, I think of the people working for the main villain. That's how it's always been. In CR the henchmen are Dimitrios, Kratt and Carlos. In QoS it's Elvis, primarily. I'm still a bit unsure of whether or not to call Medrano a henchman or an accomplice.

Anyhow, White's authority over Le Chiffre simply makes him more than henchman, but less than the main villain. I'd say he's one of the villains, same as in OP and TLD.

Thats all i needed to hear. :)
    But it's certainly a debatable topic.