Return of the Henchmen

edited June 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
This is something that I've always liked. In DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, AVTAK, and TND, the henchmen out-live their boss, and come after Bond for a final attack. For some reason, I just find this scenario to be really cool, and I wish that more Bond movies would do this. It would have been neat to see Oddjob come after Bond after the death of Goldfinger, or Gobinda for the death of Kamal Khan. Anyway, what do you think?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yes - does anyone think Elvis posed a threat in QOS ? Were the Le Chiffre henchmen memorable characters ?

More Nic Nac, Jaws, Oddjob, Necros, Dario please !!
    DaltonCraig007 said:
    More Nic Nac, Jaws, Oddjob, Necros, Dario please !!

Yes indeed! These are the cream of the crop, the best of the best. I wish that the latter three had come back after the boss wa dead, especially Oddjob. Considering his exceptional loyalty to Goldfinger, you'd think he'd be willing to risk a final attack. Also, Dario should have done the same, because I don't think he got enough screen time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It's a shame the Craig era has no memorable henchmen. Who was memorable ? Mollaka? Mitchell? Elvis ? Dimitrius? None of them has/will reached cult status like Oddjob, Jaws... in the eyes of the general audience
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited June 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Le Chiffre albeit not henchman was a very memorable villain during the Craig Era. Not all films can give screen time to produce both classic villain and henchman a la Goldfinger & Oddjob. But yes, since Greene was so bland in QOS, a nice henchman would have been nice.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 4,762
    @DaltonCraig007: Exactly! Well said! This next Bond movie should really bring back some outlandish henchmen! Even if it doesn't fit, then at least give us a Red Grant, Necros, or a Dario. They weren't completely over-the-top, but people remember them! Grant had his watch, Necros had his tape player, and Dario had his switchblade knife. What did Elvis, Mollaka, Carlos, or Dimitrios have? Absolutely nothing. I would go to say that the last quality Bond henchman was Stamper in TND. If you think about it, TWINE had no memorable henchmen, and Die Another Day had Zao, who was pretty cheesy if you ask me.
    @DaltonCraig007: If you think about it, TWINE had no memorable henchmen, and Die Another Day had Zao, who was pretty cheesy if you ask me.
    I suppose you could technically count Renard as a "henchman" to Electra's main villainess. He also outlives her and comes back for one final showdown with Bond.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Personally I prefer the main villain to outlast his henchman, it always seems like a slightly forgone conclusion and anti climax when Bond and the henchman are battling it out long after his boss has had his master plan thwarted and been dispatched. By killing the henchman first before Bond's final confrontation with the main villain further highlights just how completley Bond has destroyed their plans with absolutely no hope of anyone turning up to save them!
    yes i really like this and that is great movie how to end a movie,it is great when bond think that he is done and is ready to enjoy with the girl and than out of nowhere comes villain's henchmen and they start their last battle.i wish this will be back and it will really be great :)
    My favorite one of these is definately Tee Hee's attack on the train. The first time I saw LALD, I was so surprised to see him at the end, and then it hit me that we hadn't seen him since Bond escaped the crocodile farm. I loved his brilliant idea of hiding inside the grain sack and cutting his way out. I also thought it was awesome that his loyalty to Kananga went that far. While Bond did throw him out the window, I still think it's interesting how we never find out whether or not he actually died. Personally, I say he's alive and disarmed!
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Let's not forget Rosa Klebb!! She technically was a hench-lady who survived after the main villain was killed. And to re-iterate Saunders' point, there is a sense of anti-climax when the main villain is first dispatched--especially true in FRWL
    Yeah, Rosa Klebb was technically not the main villain, since she was acting under Bofeld and partly under Kronsteen. Thanks for reminding me of that one, JBFan 626!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2011 Posts: 2,629
    If Jaws was the main henchman in MR (I know it's debatable), then he outlasted Drax.

And just throwing it out there, but the henchwoman outlived the main Bond girl in OHMSS.

Lastly, I agree with DC007. We need a true henchman in 23.

I have said this over and over, Craig needs a gnarly hencman in Bond 23. Someone that can go head to head with him and even out match him physically; at least at first. They must do this. He needs a challenge.
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Yes The_Reaper... after CR and QOS completly devoid of any memorable henchmen that poses a threat to Bond... B23 is in desperate need of a memorable henchman... or the Craig era will further go down the drain...
  • I had no problem with Greene as the villian in QoS but would have liked to see a good henchman. Craig is so fit and capable that he deserves a near-unstoppable oponent in a fight. At the very least he needs to go against a Necros type henchman.
    @thelordflasheart - One near-unstoppable opponent is good... But let's not have 5+ unstoppable henchmen.. I'm tired of the over-emphasis on Craig Bond's physical strenght... More wits, more practical, low-key gadgets, less muscles.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @thelordflasheart - One near-unstoppable opponent is good... But let's not have 5+ unstoppable henchmen.. I'm tired of the over-emphasis on Craig Bond's physical strenght... More wits, more practical, low-key gadgets, less muscles.
    I agree, though it could be nice in an upcoming film for a change to see Bond and a henchman go at it and have one hell of a fistfight. We haven't seen this in a long time. And Craig of course could really sell that and make it seem very believable.
    I agree @Samuel001... But no shaky cam and 1 nano-second shots please !!
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I agree @Samuel001... But no shaky cam and 1 nano-second shots please !!
    Indeed. That was a once tried attempt that didn't work and doubt we'll ever be going there again thank God.
    DaltonCraig007 said: But no shaky cam and 1 nano-second shots please !!

Completely agree with you there! I couldn't even enjoy QOS due to the confusion of the camera during practically every scene.

And as for Craig needing an unstoppable henchman, that is a must for Bond 23! Where have the good henchmen gone? Where are the Oddjob style henchmen, like Tee Hee, Gobinda, and Jaws? Where are the Red Grant clones, like Kreigler, Necros, and Stamper?
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit

Where are the Red Grant clones
    I think the Red Grant clones get the James Bond role these days.

;-)
    @Saunders: Hahaha! Very clever. Surprisingly, I'd never realized that before.
  • I think Javier Bardem would make a great henchman, but he probably wouldn't want to be anything less than the main villain if he signs on.
    I think Javier Bardem would make a great henchman, but he probably wouldn't want to be anything less than the main villain if he signs on.
    That's the role he's been offered though, the main villain. He would make a good henchman too and I really hope he wants and is able to do Bond 23.
    I've always liked the one in AVTAK when Dr. Mortner tries to finish off Bond and Stacey with the revolver and a stick of dynamite. However, my I never can get past why he doesn't just take a machine gun from the wall behind him? I mean, obviously the dynamite is just going to roll right off the Golden Gate Bridge!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've always liked the one in AVTAK when Dr. Mortner tries to finish off Bond and Stacey with the revolver and a stick of dynamite. However, my I never can get past why he doesn't just take a machine gun from the wall behind him? I mean, obviously the dynamite is just going to roll right off the Golden Gate Bridge!
    Yep it's often baffled me 00Beast, untill I realised that with the dynamite they could have both Mortner and Scarpine finished off in the explosion after Bond slices the mooring rope with the axe. Another convenient weapon used in the finale.
    As to the henchmen situation for Bond 23, give us an Oddjob or a Jaws.
    Memorable, worthy opponent who will put Bond through hell. Someone physically stronger than Bond. No more Grant clones though.

@Benny: That is true! The dynamite did have a double meaning. It would have taken longer to kill the both of them if he didn't use it. And yes, I agree that the Red Grant clones need to cease! It was fine using the others, but let's have a bit more variety!
    Personally I prefer the main villain to outlast his henchman, it always seems like a slightly forgone conclusion and anti climax when Bond and the henchman are battling it out long after his boss has had his master plan thwarted and been dispatched. By killing the henchman first before Bond's final confrontation with the main villain further highlights just how completley Bond has destroyed their plans with absolutely no hope of anyone turning up to save them!
    Same for me too. But some of the earlier ones like LALD and TMWTGG i liked henchman lives after boss was eliminated. Nick Knack is still out there somewhere in the 007 universe but where is he?
    Everything I've read says that when 007 returned to the mainland in Scaramanga's boat, he dropped Nick Nack off in custody of either the local police or MI6. Either way, he's behind bars.
    Everything I've read says that when 007 returned to the mainland in Scaramanga's boat, he dropped Nick Nack off in custody of either the local police or MI6. Either way, he's behind bars.
    Where's this information come from? It's the first I've heard of it.

Why not just leave Nic Nac in the boat? I'd have done that!O:)