The GEORGE LAZENBY Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think it helped Lazenby immensely that he was playing off of one of the greatest actresses of her generation. Diana is the shining light of that film, and it's impossible not to love her right along with Bond. Tracy was the one girl that they had to cast correctly, or everything the movie stood for, and the later tragedy that makes it unforgettable, would fall flat. Diana was an absolutely brilliant and inspired choice. Every single moment she's on screen she never sings a false note. She reaches all levels, from sorrow to melancholia, fury, contempt, frivolity, love, sophistication, grace and more. A beautiful mind, a natural beauty. Seeing her dressed in all white with that shawl wrapped around her face is to witness one of the loveliest images committed to the screen. It makes sense that this woman was the one Bond chose to give it all up for.

Very very true.

I bet they just cast her because she was in the Avengers though

@Getafix, hey, don't you ruin it! ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's strange that history now sees Diana Rigg as this lauded 1960s actress of great repute who propped a dozy George Lazenby up during his Bond film.

The truth is Rigg wasn't a noted actress at all in 1968/69, having made a pulp TV series and little else. The Avengers was her big break and she wasn't much younger at the time than Lazenby was when he landed Bond.

Her RADA classmate Glenda Jackson was already cutting it on stage and film. She really was an actress of great note in the late 60s.

Rigg went on to have a great and varied career in the 70s, but the truth of the matter is Rigg quit The Avengers because it wasn't working out for her financially, and now there was always a danger of her getting a reputation for being awkward (ring any bells?).

So OHMSS was possibly Rigg's last throw of the dice, as much as it was Lazenby's. The difference is she took it and ran with it, Lazenby didn't.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I asked Cleverbot what he thinks of George Lazenby.

The answer: "You are odd. You just called George fit."
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 67
    There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!

Totally disagree. George was a great Bond, did not embarrass the franchise like the guy in the 1970's did.

Moore embarrassed the bond series you say? LMAO how come then everybody wanted him in the 80s when he was well in his 50s if he was such an embarrassment huh booster?

I remember even in 1987 at 60 yo there were still many people who wanted him again but he quit obviously, too bad, maybe the TLD wouldn't be so awful.

Lazenby wasn't an actor he was ******** by far the worst bond in the series. Anyone have heard of him since 50 years, i think he went silent radio or something.

Please control your language on here
    Everyone has the their favourite and least favourite Bond AND this is supposed to be an Appreciation Thread,so lets all keep it that way eh ?

Discussion is all well and good but to start slagging off the actors themselves is out of order in general,and in the appreciation threads in particular.
  • There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!

Totally disagree. George was a great Bond, did not embarrass the franchise like the guy in the 1970's did.

Moore embarrassed the bond series you say? LMAO how come then everybody wanted him in the 80s when he was well in his 50s if he was such an embarrassment huh booster?

I remember even in 1987 at 60 yo there were still many people who wanted him again but he quit obviously, too bad, maybe the TLD wouldn't be so awful.

Lazenby wasn't an actor he was ******** by far the worst bond in the series. Anyone have heard of him since 50 years, i think he went silent radio or something.

I think TLD is a pretty damn good Bond movie.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    There is actually a appreciate thread for Lazenby? Shocking, he was horrendous he almost ruined the movie by himself, it's no wonder nobody has heard of him since 1969...OHMSS was a decent bond i'll give him that, but not in spite of him!

Watch it...
    NSGW wrote: »

Watch it...

We have Ts & Cs concerning bad language for a reason, and although we don't impose them rigorously all the time we do try to stamp it out early with new members.

So, although I get your joke there, we can be quite flexible when it comes to more seasoned members dropping a few fruitier adjectives.
    All the Bonds are great apart from Brosnan.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2017 Posts: 16,331
    Getafix wrote: »
    All the Bonds are great apart from Brosnan Dalton.
    Fixed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Only George matters here, lads.
    I found George to be very believable in the romance scenes and at feeling vulnerable. For having no acting experience coming into it, he did a fantastic job. I thought it was a puzzling decision to dub him through the Hilly scenes. Did Blofeld and company really memorize exactly what his voice sounded like? Plenty of people I've heard on the phone that sound different face to face.

Also a cool guy, hearing him on the EON documentary and reading/listening to interviews shows he had some Bond qualities that came naturally to him. I met him two years ago and he was very friendly and a riot. Told me and my buddy a story of when Kevin McClory asked him to dinner to pitch a TB remake. It ended on bad terms when McClory accused George of hitting on his girlfriend. I asked him if it was true and he said no she was coming onto him. Hilarious. We salute you George!

The more stories you hear about George and from George does lead one to think that he never learned from his experience as Bond. If he was discussing a project with McClory and it ended due to some eyeballing of McClory's girlfriend you do have to wonder how seriously George takes anything other than chasing girls.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes indeed. He's grown on me too. Here's to George and his one great contribution to Bond! :-bd.
    You want me, I'm at the bar checking out the chicks.
    tumblr_inline_o63cn98xkH1qgp297_500.jpg
    NicNac wrote: »
    I found George to be very believable in the romance scenes and at feeling vulnerable. For having no acting experience coming into it, he did a fantastic job. I thought it was a puzzling decision to dub him through the Hilly scenes. Did Blofeld and company really memorize exactly what his voice sounded like? Plenty of people I've heard on the phone that sound different face to face.

Also a cool guy, hearing him on the EON documentary and reading/listening to interviews shows he had some Bond qualities that came naturally to him. I met him two years ago and he was very friendly and a riot. Told me and my buddy a story of when Kevin McClory asked him to dinner to pitch a TB remake. It ended on bad terms when McClory accused George of hitting on his girlfriend. I asked him if it was true and he said no she was coming onto him. Hilarious. We salute you George!

The more stories you hear about George and from George does lead one to think that he never learned from his experience as Bond. If he was discussing a project with McClory and it ended due to some eyeballing of McClory's girlfriend you do have to wonder how seriously George takes anything other than chasing girls.

Or McClory was a pompous ass who lived his entire life fighting to steal the glories of men better than him (Fleming) in court and elsewhere. He seems exactly the type to lie about someone eyeing his wife, because it was obvious he always had something to compensate for. I acquit George of all charges in this instance.
    +1 my friend, +1
    This thread is about appreciating me only,get it ????!!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmcoLyxJaUsudifJvfmfKnoSFGTwRuvPAJ1S3BPJZB9ZMca95V
    I'd kill to see some footage of Lazenby and Bruce Lee sparring.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Bad MI6, bad.
  • Another great scene from this great picture:

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited February 2017 Posts: 732
    I am late to the party but I appreciate him a lot more than I did in previous years. I watched OHMSS a lot during the past months and the movie became much more beloved by me also due to his interpretation. His action scenes are top notch and with the exception of a handful of scenes he did very well.

I do have the opinion though it helped him to play opposite Diana Rigg and (something that applies to german-speaking audiences) he was very well dubbed (by the same voice actor of Connery). The latter let him appear better (imho) than in the original and this let them get rid of a different voice for "Sir Hillary". Dubbing is a controversial topic but I appreciate it a lot the way it is and to me, it enhances the movie.

The more often I see OHMSS the more I wish DAF would have him playing Bond again. He looked the part and we would likely have seen different versions of DAF and TMWTGG.
    That's the only grumble I have about OHMSS (and it is my #1 Bond film at the moment) is the Hilly voice that dubs Lazenbybond ,so I can see how the consistency in the German version works much better.

And yes,getting Lazenby back to play Lazenbybond in DAF,LALD and TMWTGG would have
    would have...?
    Ooops....been interesting,Nackers...
    Aaaah :)>-
  • ...been awesome, and completely preferable to the alternative.

I like a good, tough Bond.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 67

You don't think much do you?[/quote]

• I do, and have facts to back up my point of view, but you seem only interested in insults.
  • I do, and have facts to back up my point of view, but you seem only interested in insults.

Just like i have mine with Moore, you know 7 movies, grossed all more than Dalton, Moore is a legend screen actor as of today not Dalton, Moore is a way better ambassador than Dalton for bond.

• Lazenby in DAF I always see as the lost great Bond movie.