Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Farewell, My Lovely (1975) & The Big Sleep (1978)
    The two films to star Robert Mitchum as Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe. While the former has the pull of staring Mithum and Charlotte Rampling, it's the latter that I prefer and watch more often (and is also my favourite Mitchum film).

I recently watched ethos win tandem, as well (as part of a complete Marlowe retrospective that I and a friend were doing). I liked them both, but preferred the former. Interesting that they both contain the same actor playing Marlowe, yet are set in different time periods, or Universes too, if you will.

Indeed, I don't really think of those two as being of the same series. They have the same actor playing the same character, but they exist in different times (roughly 30 years apart), while the films are a mere 3 years apart. Now, if Farewell, My Lovely had been filmed in the late 40's rather than 1942 or 1975, and starred Mitchum, then I could see them as more of a series.

I love both of those Mitchum Marlowe films. I do prefer the period setting old Farewell My Lovely. The music, the cast, the lighting, all excellent. It 's pretty funny that Mitchum had only one suit in the film, which was a hand me down that Victor Mature had worn in one of his films. Mitchum complained he was wearing "Victor Mature's old farted up suit."
    By The Big Sleep he had some new 1970's threads. The Big Sleep is pretty cool and easier to follow than the Bogart version. IMO though, it's nowhere near the ranking of that classic Bogie noir. Farewell My Lovely, though I feel is a good rival to Murder My Sweet.

Yes, i've read before that Mitchum was less than thrilled with that one suit in Farewell, My Lovely. I bet that one one of Mitchum's stipulations for making The Big Sleep, not having to wear that suit. ;) I jest, though, The Big Sleep is my favourite Mitchum film, and I say that without any sense of irony or anything like that. I genuinely think that film is Mitchum at his very best.

One of these days, I am going to have to see the Bogie original, just to see how they compare.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MajorDSmythe, you're in for a treat when you do. I'd advise getting the film on Blu-ray, which comes from both the original 1945 cut and the later 1946 theatrical, the latter of which is the definitive version with more scenes of Bacall and Bogie interacting. I always challenge new viewers of the film to try and recite the plot back after they finish watching, as the movie is infamous for its convoluted narrative where none of the writers knew what was going on. That's part of its charm, though, and in a way, noirs are supposed to be complex and confusing by their very nature.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 13,894
    @MajorDSmythe, you're in for a treat when you do. I'd advise getting the film on Blu-ray, which comes from both the original 1945 cut and the later 1946 theatrical, the latter of which is the definitive version with more scenes of Bacall and Bogie interacting. I always challenge new viewers of the film to try and recite the plot back after they finish watching, as the movie is infamous for its convoluted narrative where none of the writers knew what was going on. That's part of its charm, though, and in a way, noirs are supposed to be complex and confusing by their very nature.

I've had a look, and it doesn't appear as though The Big Sleep, the Bogie version, has had a BR release in the UK.

I'm not that knowledgeable on BR, to be honest. I still buy mainly DVDs with the occasional DVD/BR double format release. With DVDs I can buy from anywhere, as my DVD player is multi region, but with BRs, I use my PS3.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    qZ6xt1pKJymjZdMhyvKMV5ZRjTT.jpg

A Bittersweet Life (2005)

One of the best offerings from South Korea. Lee Byung-Hun is insanely suave, charismatic and badass in this film. The action scenes are top notch - the big escape of Byung-Hun where he demolishes 10+ goons, and the final shootout that is just off-the-charts. Byung-Hung has never stopped making fantastic films in later years, like 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' and 'I Saw The Devil'. I really can't wait to see his latest gangster/action film, 'Master'.
    Bridge of Spies (2015) - second watch. One of my favorites of 2015 - I really like this one.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,813
    blair-witch.png

Blair Witch (2016)
    I blind bought it when I saw the bluray marked down to $10 at my local Target (as well as Suicide Squad, which I'll review later)
    I was interested in seeing it ever since the 'big reveal' two months prior to release: The Woods, which i kept seeing trailers for, was announced to actually be Blair Witch- I thought it was cool how they did that.

The first 2/3 basically serves as a modern remake of the original, with gps & drone use, but it is technically a sequel. The younger brother of Heather, from the first movie, is now looking for her.
    The final 1/3 is where it gets good! That's when it becomes its own movie and if the whole thing was like that, it would have been the horror movie of 2016, easily. There's one part where the final woman has to crawl through a tiny tunnel under the house (you might have seen it in the trailer) and it was uncomfortable as hell. Claustrophobics stay away! ;)

Not a bad movie in the end, and might be worth a second viewing or two (hints of time travel/loops)
    Although I have to say, if I had seen this as a 16 year old, like I was when I saw the original, it would have scared the living daylights out of me.
    The Long Goodbye by Robert Altman - Philip Marlowe as played by Elliot Gould in the early seventies, a goodlooking movie and a nice interpretation of the Chandler book. I like the ending.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Long Goodbye by Robert Altman - Philip Marlowe as played by Elliot Gould in the early seventies, a goodlooking movie and a nice interpretation of the Chandler book. I like the ending.

Philip Marlowe: Nobody cares but me.
    Terry Lennox: Well that's you, Marlowe. You'll never learn, you're a born loser.
    Philip Marlowe: Yeah, I even lost my cat.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Scarface first time viewing on BD arguably Pacino's and De Palma's best film, tour de force from the former this film is full of energy and intensity. De Palma's direction is superb, I remember not being overly enthused about the soundtrack when I saw this film in the 80's though it fits perfectly now for the time it depicts.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Yolt
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    raid-2-3.jpg

john-wick-movie-keanu-reeves-gun-church.jpg

The Raid 2 (2014) and John Wick (2014)

Super badass double bill. Starting with 2.5 hours of Iku Uwais destroying an entire army of goons with his fighting skills, and then 100 minutes of Keanu Reeves mowing down an entire gangster organization with his very specific set of skills. Feels like I've just witnessed an entire population's worth of body count in both films, but it sure was awesome.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SPLIT (2017)

I just came back from this M. Night Shyamalan joint. It was entertaining enough, but I did find myself wandering off on occasion and waiting for it to be finished. This was definitely another case of too much revelation in the trailers, and so ultimately the final product had nothing much new to offer. There isn't much of a twist at the end either. However, the main performance by James McAvoy is outstandingly unsettling. He plays an individual with dissociative identity disorder, and McAvoy convinces with each of his identities. Anya Taylor-Joy, Haley Lu Richardson & Jessica Sula star as victims of his affections, and Betty Buckley stars as his therapist. Shyamalan keeps it tense, but I had a distinct case of been there, done that better while watching it. Best to wait for video with this one imho.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

I really enjoyed it. It had a decent end for our heroine of 15 years. This one reminded me more of the fourth in terms of tone and action. Not the best and not the worst of the series.

Resident Evil
    Extinction
    Apocalypse
    After Life
    The Final Chapter
    Retribution

THE BIG SLEEP is probably my personal favorite Bogart film- the regular theatrical release that is (though the 1945 is great as well). I love the convoluted plot, the twists and turns, the Max Steiner score, the rapport with not only Bacall but Dorothy Malone. The Big Sleep is one great scene after another. I love every frame.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QsAssistant, how was the editing? It looked terrible in the clip I saw, but that could've been due to them cutting the footage so the clip run time didn't suffer. Was it bad/choppy/inconsistent?
    Batman v Superman love this Elseworld take, once a week I either watch this film or parts of it it's fing awesome.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 67
    Finding Forrester, The last official movie of Sean Connery i believe, For Connery completionists, go ahead.
    Finding Forrester, The last official movie of Sean Connery i believe, For Connery completionists, go ahead.

Only watched the film once though it's a good film, better than The League of extraordinary gentlemen though as bad as it is if has its moments.

Captain America Civil War always have mixed feelings about this film, as there is such a tonal shift mid way through. Saying that it's in the top three Marvel films.
    Wanda can manipulate the Infinity Stones major Plot point for upcoming films.
    Empie Strikes Back nothing ever gets better than this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Empie? I find your lack of respect disturbing.

True I should have said The Empire Strikes Back ;)
    The Force Awakens enjoyed watching this dot to dot movie, I love Star Wars so this is not a bad thing though TFA is firmly at the bottom of the listing.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Scarface first time viewing on BD arguably Pacino's and De Palma's best film, tour de force from the former this film is full of energy and intensity. De Palma's direction is superb, I remember not being overly enthused about the soundtrack when I saw this film in the 80's though it fits perfectly now for the time it depicts.

Scarface looks fantastic on BD.

Very silly film but fantastically entertaining, and a powerhouse performance from Pacino.

Brilliant direction from De Palma, the final shootout is just an incredible sequence.

I suppose you could have gone all out and said STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    I always preferred the original trilogy to be referred to by their simple original titles: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.
  • Finding Forrester, The last official movie of Sean Connery i believe, For Connery completionists, go ahead.

Only watched the film once though it's a good film, better than The League of extraordinary gentlemen though as bad as it is if has its moments.

Captain America Civil War always have mixed feelings about this film, as there is such a tonal shift mid way through. Saying that it's in the top three Marvel films.
    Wanda can manipulate the Infinity Stones major Plot point for upcoming films.

Never of the gentlemen flick, mind you with a title like that it's no surprise. i take it back on forrester. I finished it and i found it quite boring and formulaic, copying Good will hunting blatantly, the acting wasn't too good with the black kid being a know-it-all at 16 yo.

I'd say the last Connery movie he did i massively enjoy and watch every year is either the rock or The name of the rose.
    two reviews for this weekend Mission Impossible 3 and Batman Year One

Mission Impossible 3: A brilliant film and honestly so far the best film in the mission Impossible franchise. from the cast to the action sequences just a brilliant spy film. JJ Abrahms gives us an inner look of the works of IMF and gives us a stronger sense of character then anyone so far plus I forgot how hot Kerri Russell and Michelle Monoghan were... so far the best of the bunch

Batman Year One: where do I begin... the voice acting is great I like Ben Mckensie as Batman/ Brice Wayne Brian Cranston as Gordan. but I dislike Miller's interpretation of Batman and I know that the Nolan Films borrowed heavidly from Miller and of course so did Snyder but meh I just I don't like Miller's interpretations for starters Gordon having an affair seems forced I prefer to think like Bruce timm that Bruce's first night he was a ninja not just with a fake scar and hat. I don't like the ending with the Joker (I just feel the very mention of him ruins the kind of ultra realistic story they were going for an issue I have with Batman's telltale series.) Over all the film follows the graphic novel way to closely and feels just ok at best not bad just not great.
    Ranking of non Bond films 2017
    1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. The Firm
    3. My week with Marilyn
    4. Mission Impossible
    5. Ghostbusters
    6. When Harry meet Sally
    7. limitless
    8. Batman Year one
    9. Mission Impossible 2
    10. National Lampoon's Vacation

Mission Impossible franchise
    1. Mission Impossible 3
    2. Mission Impossible
    3. Mission Impossible 2

Up Next Snake Eyes then Pretty in Pink and The shadow more then likely.
    FAREWELL MY LOVELY

Frances Amthor
    : I think you're a very stupid person. You look stupid, you're in a stupid business, and you're on a stupid case.
    Philip Marlowe: I get it. I'm stupid.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I suppose you could have gone all out and said STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    I always preferred the original trilogy to be referred to by their simple original titles: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

You are right about the first one, but the others were called Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi from the start.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Come September (1961)
    xJGzN8r.jpg

Sometimes one has a distant memory of something but can't quite place it - Come September is one of these instances. I knew Gina Lollobrigida was in the film and that it looked absolutely spectacular - like a vacation - but had no real other memory of it. Recently, I began to recall that it might have also starred Rock Hudson. So I did an Amazon search and took a gamble that this may have been the film which was deeply recessed in my memory bank. Thankfully, I was correct. It was! I had a great time reliving old memories, and the film was as enjoyable last night as it was all those years ago.

It's basically a 60's romantic comedy romp, starring Rock Hudson as single multi-millionaire American Robert Talbot. Every September he visits his villa in beautiful Liguria, Italy, where he indulges in a little romance with his regular local playgirl Lisa Fellini (played by a very attractive Lollobrigida). This year he decides to move his annual visit up to July, and this results in several revelations and surprises. His lovable head butler Maurice (Walter Slezak) turns the place into a hotel every year to make a few quid (or is that lira?). Additionally, Lisa is engaged to a stiff Brit Spencer (Ronald Howard) who she's not really in love with (she's going along with it because Talbot only seems to want his annual fling). The villa/hotel is hosting a bunch of teenage girls this year, including Sandy (Sandra Dee) & their would be male suitors, including rambunctious Tony (played by Bobby Darin). There's a bit of friendly rivalry and competition between the boys and Talbot, & romantic tensions also abound. The film really has wonderful cinematography and gives off an expensive, almost early Bondian classy style throughout. Hudson is as suave and cool as ever.

One of the highlights of this film for me as a kid was Darin's song Multiplication.
    Walter Slezak? What a name.