• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dates and locations visited so far:

May 6, 1937 - Lakehurst, NJ - Hindenburg disaster
    April 14, 1865 - Washington DC - Abraham Lincoln assassination
    September 21, 1962 - Las Vegas, NV - Fundraiser with the Rat Pack and JFK
    December 7, 1944 - Schloß Varlar, Rosendahl, Germany - V2 rocket test

You sure do get around! :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Loved the article. And even though he wasn't the actual Fleming we know of, I did love the way he portrayed Bond's papa. :D
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Space Race anyone?
  • timdalton007timdalton007 North Alabama
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Is it available on DVD I wonder?

It is here in the US. It's part on the DVD on Demand Warner Archive Collection. Amazon link here.

It's how I wrote up the review of it over on the main page.

timdalton007

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Is it available on DVD I wonder?

It is here in the US. It's part on the DVD on Demand Warner Archive Collection. Amazon link here.

It's how I wrote up the review of it over on the main page.

timdalton007

Good. Hopefully that means it will be coming to the UK soon then!
    I did not like this particular episode. I think it was all just bullshit. Fleming was in Naval Intelligence and never left his desk during the war.
    I know its all fun escapism but at least try to get some facts right.
    Jeez
    What did you think of the episode?

I liked it though I was probably predisposed towards liking the show anyway being both a history buff and a sci-fi fan. That being said...
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I did not like this particular episode. I think it was all just bullshit. Fleming was in Naval Intelligence and never left his desk during the war.
    Jeez

...I can understand this point of view. The thing was full of more factual errors than I wish to count and not just about Fleming. Growing up in Huntsville, Alabama which was transformed by Von Braun and the German rocket team in the late 1950s and onwards, the problems with Von Braun in the episode mount. The V-2 had been flying for months before this episode was set and Von Braun didn't defect but surrendered to the Americans at war's end. Unless you believe in some of the more crazy conspiracy theories floating around about Fleming anyway.

Still it was fun but like the aforementioned Spymaker with Jason Connery, take it's factual worth lightly.

timdalton007
  • Can't say that I've watched much of this series, but from what I HAVE seen, the concept is: by traveling back in time, these guys keep getting the timeline more and more messed up. The more they try to fix things and get the timeline back into order (that is, the way it SHOULD be,) the more discrepancies they introduce into the existing timeline. With that point in mind, the "factual errors" are all just more elements of a screwed up timeline.

As I say, I haven't been watching this series very faithfully, but I suspect they're going to end the series in less than a full season with one really screwed up history and nobody caring all that much. Or maybe one magnificent "fix-it-all" episode and the series ends that way. Again, I don't really see anybody caring all that much. Nice try, folks, but...no thanks.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Jeez

not strictly true to say Fleming 'never left his desk' @OHMSS69. While he was most definitely never on any form of active service he did in fact participate (as an observer aboard one of the Royal Navy destroyers) in Operation Rutter, the failed raid on Dieppe as it was in first mission undertaken by 30AU.

Did it occur to anyone that whatever you know about Fleming might very well be a cover story?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It occurred to me that it's a TV show about time travel and an ancient government conspiracy, 100% historical accuracy is a moot point. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride, people.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Did it occur to anyone that whatever you know about Fleming might very well be a cover story?
    Of course it was, Ian Fleming was a codename. I have earth-shattering evidence to prove it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Walecs wrote: »
    Of course it was, Ian Fleming was a codename. I have earth-shattering evidence to prove it.

His real name is Ivan Fleming according to a friend of mine. :))

That's a very good point. Catching up on the series, I just watched Space Race and within moments of it opening I was spotting errors they'd made with Apollo 11. It's a show with solid production values but the historical accuracy is all over the place going from episode to episode.

Still, it's a fun show if you like history and sci-fi and can suspend dis-belief.

timdalton007
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

@ClarkDevlin That's not a bad point. The whole story of Fleming going from nobody to commander in no time, with no qualifications, seems fishy. I know some believe that he was a spy for England in the Soviet Union, while he was still officially working as a reporter. That would provide reasonable qualifications for a promotion to commander.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,157
    Finally watched the episode. Was anybody else amused by the fact that out of 27 Bond movie titles they referenced 2 (out of 3) which had nothing to do with Fleming?

@ClarkDevlin That's not a bad point. The whole story of Fleming going from nobody to commander in no time, with no qualifications, seems fishy. I know some believe that he was a spy for England in the Soviet Union, while he was still officially working as a reporter. That would provide reasonable qualifications for a promotion to commander.
    Thank you!!!
    Walecs wrote: »
    Finally watched the episode. Was anybody else amused by the fact that out of 27 Bond movie titles they referenced 2 (out of 3) which had nothing to do with Fleming?
    Yep. And I was heavily amused, as well. :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I found the episode to be pretty pants, as well. The concept of the show was very interesting but the execution has been lacklustre and the acting even more so.

The Fleming episode has probably been the best but it was still fairly shite.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think the "Fleming was a secret spy" logic holds up. Bond was born out of his mid-life crisis, and it's clear that he viscerally lived through Bond's exploits to cope with his advancing age and the existential change/discomfort he was experiencing. He wouldn't feel the need to do that if he'd been the real deal.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,000
    I don't think the "Fleming was a secret spy" logic holds up. Bond was born out of his mid-life crisis, and it's clear that he viscerally lived through Bond's exploits to cope with his advancing age and the existential change/discomfort he was experiencing. He wouldn't feel the need to do that if he'd been the real deal.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 He may have "lived through Bond" to cope with the fact that he could no longer do those things that he once did as a spy. A way to deal with the reality that those days were over for him. A way to relive his glory days.

An alternate theory would be that his Bond novels were a way to experience the things that he wished he had, but never got to experience as a spy. Accounts of actual spy work show that it rarely lives up to the fantasy, so it may have been his make-believe alternate reality.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Even if Fleming was a spy, it wouldn't have been very lively, even for WWII. He'd probably have hated actual spycraft, because it's so tedious. As a travel writer, he got to see the world safely, and opened his mind to all forms of culture. If he was a spy he'd be sitting on his butt waiting for things to happen, even he even got out in the field at all. I don't think he'd like the boredom of it.
    In case y'all haven't heard:

Three days ago, Timeless was cancelled.
    HOURS AGO Timeless was uncancelled.
    Who went back in time and uncanceled it?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Ian Fleming, the super spy who they modeled James Bond after.
    :))

Wyatt, Rufus, and Lucy took the lifeboat.