SPECTRE versus......Rogue Nation

in SPECTRE Posts: 4,599
OK, I know this will wind up some of the forum so apologies in advance but we have little news so have to entertain ourselves. We have debated the 2 movies but never picked them apart in this way (I think). I know we are all Bond fans but that should not prevent a fair comparison to the competition. If we can compare Bond movies in this way, it seems fair we can compare a single Bond movie with another movie from that year and genre. I have just watched them back to back so this seemed like an interesting exercise (still thinking about my own scores). Look forward to the results or the objection to exercise:

PTS:
Main villain:
Main Girl:
Plot:
Dialogue:
Score:
Settings:
General Action:
Mid Movie Car Chase:
Climax:
Humour:
Cinematography:
Suspense:
Minor Characters:
Glamour:
Bond/Hunt performance:
Direction:

Comments

PTS: SP
    Main villain: RN
    Main Girl: RN
    Plot: RN
    Dialogue: SP
    Score: RN
    Settings: RN
    General Action: RN
    Mid Movie Car Chase: RN
    Climax: RN
    Humour: RN
    Cinematography: RN
    Suspense: RN
    Minor Characters: RN
    Glamour: RN
    Bond/Hunt performance: SP
    Direction: RN

RN 14-3 SP

I actually enjoyed SP more in the cinema on first viewing, but RN definitely stands up better to repeated viewings.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Main villain: SP
    Main Girl: SP
    Climax: SP
    Humour: SP
    Cinematography: SP
    Minor Characters: SP
    Glamour: Tie

10 to 8 in favour of SPECTRE
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    PTS: RN (on account of the humour and Cruise's effort mid-air. If they'd stopped SP after the tracking shot it would be much closer)

Main villain: RN (there's something deeply unsettling about Sean Harris's nasally voiced Lane)

Main Girl: RN (this is one of the most one sided results in my history of voting. Becky Ferguson kills it in RN, and her Ilsa Faust is even up there with some of the legendary Bond babes of the past imho)

Plot: RN (it's close, but they executed better in MI)

Dialogue: RN (some of the lines in this film, particularly from Alec Baldwin, are genuinely funny, and Pegg always lives up to expectations)

Score: RN (another one sided thrashing. RN won it in the PTS alone with the legendary opening riff, beautifully reimagined by Joe Kraemer)

Settings: RN (again it's close, but RN used the locations better imho)

General Action: RN (I don't even have to think about this)

Mid Movie Car Chase: RN (another no brainer)

Climax: RN (it's close - but there was more visceral action in RN, and Ferguson's Faust taking out Jens Hulten's Janik Vinter after slashing him in various places was impressive and a highlight)

Humour: RN (Loved it. The dialogue and the non verbal cues, especially from Cruise. Reminded me of Moore's best. He has great chemistry with Ferguson, so I'm not surprised she's back in the next one)

Cinematography: SP (I'll give this to SP, but reluctantly. The shot framing by Hoyte was exceptional but it was spoiled by the piss colouring. Still, deserves the win)

Suspense: RN (superb tension in some sequences, especially the underwater bit)

Minor Characters: RN (Jens Hulten, Alec Baldwin, Tom Hollander, Ving Rhames etc.)

Glamour: RN (Becs in that yellow dress at the Opera. Nuff said)

Bond/Hunt performance: RN (Cruise owns Hunt. It's a second skin to him now, and as he's aged, he's brought in and injected some of that weary irony that Roger Moore had as Bond. Damn, I love it).

Direction: RN (McQuarrie does a phenomenal job)

RN - 16
    SP - 1
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Good thread idea.

Dialogue: RN
    Settings: SP
    Cinematography: SP (Robert Elswit was DOP on TND in fact)
    Glamour: SP

SP - 9
    RN - 8

Both are immensely enjoyable romps.
    OK,i'll take the bait :

Cinematography: SP (Robert Elswit was DOP on TND in fact)

SP 10
    RN 6
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If you can change the films from time to time, I am on board. Haven t seen Rogue Nation, so have nothing to contribute for now.
    If you can change the films from time to time, I am on board. Haven t seen Rogue Nation, so have nothing to contribute for now.
    Oh, ya gotta see it- it's one of the best.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I thought the others were worth a watch, but nothing more.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    A few of these were close and could have gone either way, but overall Rogue Nation was a much more satisfying couple of hours at the flicks.

Suspense: SP
    Glamour: RN

Rogue Nation - 12
    Spectre - 5
    PTS: RN
    Bond/Hunt performance: RN

RN: 14 SP: 3
    I am clearly SPECTRE's biggest fan. :D
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I am clearly SPECTRE's biggest fan. :D

=D>
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Commenting on MI-RN earlier has compelled me to rewatch either it or GP, or both, later today.
    PTS: RN
    Main villain: RN
    Bond/Hunt performance: RN

RN: 14 SP: 3

Despite a heavy defeat I have watched SP twice as many times as RN.
    I

Despite a heavy defeat I have watched SP twice as many times as RN.

That says a lot IMO. ;)
    Me too. However, that doesn't say much, because I tend not to watch my favourite films as much as those I don't like all that much.

Warped logic perhaps, but I like to keep the great ones for special occasions, like that nice watch or shirt. As an example, I've probably watched SP about 2/3 as many times as I've watched CR, despite the prior film being a decade old.

Time to redress the balance tonight. I watched GP yesterday and had a blast. It's successor goes in the player tonight.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    PTS: RN (on account of the humour and Cruise's effort mid-air. If they'd stopped SP after the tracking shot it would be much closer)

Main villain: RN (there's something deeply unsettling about Sean Harris's nasally voiced Lane)

Main Girl: RN (this is one of the most one sided results in my history of voting. Becky Ferguson kills it in RN, and her Ilsa Faust is even up there with some of the legendary Bond babes of the past imho)

Plot: RN (it's close, but they executed better in MI)

Dialogue: RN (some of the lines in this film, particularly from Alec Baldwin, are genuinely funny, and Pegg always lives up to expectations)

Score: RN (another one sided thrashing. RN won it in the PTS alone with the legendary opening riff, beautifully reimagined by Joe Kraemer)

Settings: RN (again it's close, but RN used the locations better imho)

General Action: RN (I don't even have to think about this)

Mid Movie Car Chase: RN (another no brainer)

Climax: RN (it's close - but there was more visceral action in RN, and Ferguson's Faust taking out Jens Hulten's Janik Vinter after slashing him in various places was impressive and a highlight)

Humour: RN (Loved it. The dialogue and the non verbal cues, especially from Cruise. Reminded me of Moore's best. He has great chemistry with Ferguson, so I'm not surprised she's back in the next one)

Cinematography: SP (I'll give this to SP, but reluctantly. The shot framing by Hoyte was exceptional but it was spoiled by the piss colouring. Still, deserves the win)

Suspense: RN (superb tension in some sequences, especially the underwater bit)

Minor Characters: RN (Jens Hulten, Alec Baldwin, Tom Hollander, Ving Rhames etc.)

Glamour: RN (Becs in that yellow dress at the Opera. Nuff said)

Bond/Hunt performance: RN (Cruise owns Hunt. It's a second skin to him now, and as he's aged, he's brought in and injected some of that weary irony that Roger Moore had as Bond. Damn, I love it).

Direction: RN (McQuarrie does a phenomenal job)

RN - 16
    SP - 1

+1

Although this could easily be 17/0 for me.