Spectre versus the field: Skyfall

Comments

MR knows what it wants to be and executes it pretty well. SP is not sure what it wants to be and executes it poorly IMHO
  • bondjames wrote: »

Just watched MR yesterday and watched SP again a few weeks ago. I'm looking at MR in a new light after last night's watch. Stunning film, especially on blu ray. I had such a good time with it that I want to watch it again soon.
    Nice coincidence @bondjames, I watched it yesterday as well and had a great time too ! It was way better than I

Just watched MR yesterday and watched SP again a few weeks ago. I'm looking at MR in a new light after last night's watch. Stunning film, especially on blu ray. I had such a good time with it that I want to watch it again soon.
    Nice coincidence @bondjames, I watched it yesterday as well and had a great time too ! It was way better than I remembered it despite the few what-the-hell-is-going-on /bondolas/lasors moments.
    I had not watched it in a long time, and found myself quite thrilled by lots of scenes !

PTS: SPECTRE (the long shot gets me every time
    Title track: Moonraker (don't ever talk to me about Sam Smith again)
    Titles: SPECTRE (not a lot of imagination deployed in Moonraker unfortunatly
    Main villain: Moonraker ! (I love Drax. He's trying less than Waltz to persuade us is the great vilain
    Main Bond Girl: SPECTRE I'll go for Lea Seydoux, but only because Lois Chiles is really bad at acting in Moonraker
    Henchman: Hinx, Jaws, Hinx, Jaws... Moonraker ! There would be no Hinx without Jaws
    Plot: SPECTRE (although the plot of SPECTRE is week, it's still better than planetary destruction)
    Dialogue: SPECTRE (Moore doesn't have lots of good dialogue beyond the one liners)
    Score: Moonraker John Barry (nobody does it better)
    Settings: Moonraker (love the destinations of SPECTRE, but Moonraker feels more genuine)
    Action: SPECTRE (although we have great ideas in Moonraker)
    Humour: Moonraker (less calculated than Spectre)
    Cinematography: SPECTRE
    Benign Bizarre: Moonraker (the overall film is bizarrre)
    Suspense: Moonraker. The Centrifuge is great and I couldn't care less for Spectre dentist torture. Lots of scenes in Moonraker actualy have a nice suspense thanks to the score.
    Minor Characters: Spectre
    Glamour: Moonraker (bring on the drax girls !)
    Bond performance: Moonraker (try to keep your serious when shooting Moonraker, and still act like your character believed it)

SP - 8
    MR - 9

I'm surprised how good Moonraker is faring

Nice coincidence @bondjames, I watched it yesterday as well and had a great time too ! It was way better than I remembered it despite the few what-the-hell-is-going-on /bondolas/lasors moments.
    I had not watched it in a long time, and found myself quite thrilled by lots of scenes !

PTS: SPECTRE (the long shot gets me every time
    Title track: Moonraker (don't ever talk to me about Sam Smith again)
    Titles: SPECTRE (not a lot of imagination deployed in Moonraker unfortunatly
    Main villain: Moonraker ! (I love Drax. He's trying less than Waltz to persuade us is the great vilain
    Main Bond Girl: SPECTRE I'll go for Lea Seydoux, but only because Lois Chiles is really bad at acting in Moonraker
    Henchman: Hinx, Jaws, Hinx, Jaws... Moonraker ! There would be no Hinx without Jaws
    Plot: SPECTRE (although the plot of SPECTRE is week, it's still better than planetary destruction)
    Dialogue: SPECTRE (Moore doesn't have lots of good dialogue beyond the one liners)
    Score: Moonraker John Barry (nobody does it better)
    Settings: Moonraker (love the destinations of SPECTRE, but Moonraker feels more genuine)
    Action: SPECTRE (although we have great ideas in Moonraker)
    Humour: Moonraker (less calculated than Spectre)
    Cinematography: SPECTRE
    Benign Bizarre: Moonraker (the overall film is bizarrre)
    Suspense: Moonraker. The Centrifuge is great and I couldn't care less for Spectre dentist torture. Lots of scenes in Moonraker actualy have a nice suspense thanks to the score.
    Minor Characters: Spectre
    Glamour: Moonraker (bring on the drax girls !)
    Bond performance: Moonraker (try to keep your serious when shooting Moonraker, and still act like your character believed it)

SP - 8
    MR - 9

I'm surprised how good Moonraker is faring
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Ytterbium, glad to hear it! It's such an epic production with some serious money up on the screen. I was impressed with all the work that went into the set design and model work, and it moves along at a great clip from beginning to end. There's a fair number of set pieces and immaculate lairs in this one, but they are all nicely incorporated organically into the narrative.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    PTS: MR (Skydiving anyday)
    Title track: MR
    Titles: SP (the visuals, I always prefer Kleinman)
    Main villain: MR (some cracker lines)
    Main Bond Girl: SP
    Henchman: MR (Hinx could have been great)
    Plot: MR
    Dialogue: MR (great repartees)
    Score: MR
    Settings: MR (Incredible scope and beauty in the locales.)
    Action: MR
    Humour: MR
    Cinematography: MR
    Benign Bizarre: MR
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP (neither but I'll give SP a slight edge - Mr White, Sciara)
    Glamour: SP
    Bond performance: SP (Bond is not the star in Gilbert films)

MR - 12
    SP - 6
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PTS: MR
    Titles: SP
    Main villain: SP
    Henchman:SP
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: SP
    Settings: MR
    Cinematography: SP
    Suspense: SP
    Minor Characters: SP
    Bond performance: SP

MR - 7
    SP - 11

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    SaintMark wrote: »

SP has no saving graces for me and while I would prefer to have Craig doing a standalone mission for his last movie I expect another outing with more personal stuff. While this Roger Moore outing is closer to the sometimes fantastic plots of Fleming and Roger Moore is simply brilliant in this and the next movies as 007 and I will always watch his movies when compared to QoS, SF & SP.

Sorry, but this is utter nonsense. Bashing SPECTRE is done extensively here because... I don't know, people these days seem to need to hate things. But claiming MR is in any way closer to Fleming's stories is utter nonsnese. Fleming Always wrote about the possible, but highly unlikely. MR goes off the planet (litteraly too) when it comes to realism. Stealing a Space Shuttle from the back of a plane? Utter nonsense. A space station undetectaeble by neither Russia nor the US whilst about (I'm guessing here) 15 times larger then the ISS? b*llocks! Bond's nemesis surviving a freefall because he lands on a circus tent? Really? Space shuttles beeing launched one after the other? Who cares about the specific calculations needed!! And you manage to find suspense in a film that neglects the normal laws of physics and instead gives us a hovercraft-gondola and a double-taking pidgeon.

I said earlier that people here are biased, and I was attacked for it. Well, the proof is in the pudding. People liking Moonraker I can understand, there's fun to be found, but claiming it's more Fleming-like is utter nonsense.

Even @Birdleson could find some catagories in which he liked SP over MR and he bloody well hates SP.

Well, I'll just do the opposite to offset this sad little affair.

SP-18
    MR-0

Expect my score to be exactly the same for all the coming films, until people start to behave a little bit more grown-up.
  • GBFGBF
    SaintMark wrote: »

SP has no saving graces for me and while I would prefer to have Craig doing a standalone mission for his last movie I expect another outing with more personal stuff. While this Roger Moore outing is closer to the sometimes fantastic plots of Fleming and Roger Moore is simply brilliant in this and the next movies as 007 and I will always watch his movies when compared to QoS, SF & SP.

Sorry, but this is utter nonsense. Bashing SPECTRE is done extensively here because... I don't know, people these days seem to need to hate things. But claiming MR is in any way closer to Fleming's stories is utter nonsnese. Fleming Always wrote about the possible, but highly unlikely. MR goes off the planet (litteraly too) when it comes to realism. Stealing a Space Shuttle from the back of a plane? Utter nonsense. A space station undetectaeble by neither Russia nor the US whilst about (I'm guessing here) 15 times larger then the ISS? b*llocks! Bond's nemesis surviving a freefall because he lands on a circus tent? Really? Space shuttles beeing launched one after the other? Who cares about the specific calculations needed!! And you manage to find suspense in a film that neglects the normal laws of physics and instead gives us a hovercraft-gondola and a double-taking pidgeon.

I said earlier that people here are biased, and I was attacked for it. Well, the proof is in the pudding. People liking Moonraker I can understand, there's fun to be found, but claiming it's more Fleming-like is utter nonsense.

Even @Birdleson could find some catagories in which he liked SP over MR and he bloody well hates SP.

SP-18
    MR-0

Expect my score to be exactly the same for all the coming films, until people start to behave a little bit more grown-up.

I agree with you. I don't like Spectre and until now at least, I prefered every other film over Spectre. But some people here just vote 18:0 against Spectre, even when the film is MR or DAF. This makes this game somewhat extremely biased. Usually there is always something to like in every Bond film and hardly any film is worse than another film in every category.

SP-18
    MR-0

Look who's talking this is pathetic and childish, what next friend a spanking? Everyone is allowed to form an opinion without fear of capital punishment, so please do not light fire with fire, lets get a hose and spray this thread down with the water of love and goodwill for all men. also I agree the Moonraker film isn't like Fleming but it's not the subject matter thats the reason, it's the tone. I think Fleming could sell anything as plausible if he was deadpan and detailed anough. Add me as a friend and lets talk about it.
    Moonraker is dire, worst Bond film apart from Die Another Day.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Why would anyone let anyone else's vote effect their own? If you think either one deserves to win 18 to 0, I'd hope you'd vote as such, but doing so to spite someone else, or to balance against another's vote, seems ludicrous. And to do so in the name of others needing to grow up adds to the level of absurdity. Can't we have one game where someone doesn't question the motivations and critical abilities of another? Personally, anymore complaining about anyone else's vote and this is one more thread that I'm disappearing from.

This.

Yes, people should be allowed to vote however they want to.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Why would anyone let anyone else's vote effect their own? If you think either one deserves to win 18 to 0, I'd hope you'd vote as such, but doing so to spite someone else, or to balance against another's vote, seems ludicrous. And to do so in the name of others needing to grow up adds to the level of absurdity. Can't we have one game where someone doesn't question the motivations and critical abilities of another? Personally, anymore complaining about anyone else's vote and this is one more thread that I'm disappearing from.
    @birdleson never mind, I'll see myself out. I'm done with the pure hatred of that film, and this thread, as has been mentioned by others, hardly seems to be anything but a bashfest against the latest entry in a series I love. I was hoping for some interesting discussion here, but all we get is long lists where people prefer any film over SP without any explenation.
    @birdleson never mind, I'll see myself out. I'm done with the pure hatred of that film, and this thread, as has been mentioned by others, hardly seems to be anything but a bashfest against the latest entry in a series I love. I was hoping for some interesting discussion here, but all we get is long lists where people prefer any film over SP without any explenation.

I like Spectre.
    You don't understand, just because someone likes the parts of Moonraker better then Spectre's, doesn't mean they find the sum of those parts to be necasaairly superior. Please don't start a fire on fire over this, I have been watching closely and we already had someone try to start a flamewar in here and I don't want to see it happen again.
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    You don't understand, just because someone likes the parts of Moonraker better then Spectre's, doesn't mean they find the sum of those parts to be necasaairly superior. Please don't start a fire on fire over this, I have been watching closely and we already had someone try to start a flamewar in here and I don't want to see it happen again.

What's a flamewar?
    tanaka123 wrote: »

What's a flamewar?
    tanaka123 wrote: »

What's a flamewar?

Funny.

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus

I understand your pain but go back and have a look at mine Commander. I've given explanations on most if not all my posts. Spectre has fared very well against most of mine post GF (except LALD and OHMSS) may have even won a couple and definitely smoked DAF - Would certainly prefer it over DAF and MWTGG. But I get why you feel that way. It can get a bit overwhelming against spectre on this board and this thread in particular. Best to do as you say and move along (I know I do for most threads I don't care for!)
  • GBFGBF
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,195
    I agree that everyone is entitled to his own opinion but I at least find that if you vote e.g. 18:0 against Spectre you should at least give a few explanations. Otherwise this extreme voting behaviour of a few members dominate the final result.
    Alright, I'm out. It's gotten ridiculous. I just can't even fathom this caring about someone else's ratings, and insisting that they attach explainations. How the hell can you call it extreme if it's how they feel? Are you married to SP? A stockholder in EON?

I agree with you but this is just an internet forum at the end of the day, Frankly I don't care if people give justifications, think people are slamming on Spectre too much, I don't give it too much thought to be honest - I put my scores on and then I click on to something else.
    Alright, I'm out. It's gotten ridiculous. I just can't even fathom this caring about someone else's ratings, and insisting that they attach explainations. How the hell can you call it extreme if it's how they feel? Are you married to SP? A stockholder in EON?
    I never asked for explenations, I said I'd expected some interesting discussions. I already told you I'd be out so again, I see no reason why you should leave here as well. I'm no stockholder of EON, i'm a James Bond fan. Which means I like James Bond. So when I find people are overly negative about one of those films (which is their right) I might start discussing that (which is my right, on a discussion forum). I never attacked you personally (quite the opposite in fact), but rather far more people of whom the only reaction is utter negativity, and if there's an explanation it's one that doesn't make sense to me (which, again, I explained, I quoted @Saint_mark).

I know you hate the film, which again is your good right. But I have trouble believing a film that did very well at the box office is hated this much by so many shortly after release. Even DAD gets far more love here then SP.
    Oh good we have lost two good forummembers forever now and for Why? A silly fued over a categorical game? Friends we must look inwards and rememvber why we are here in the first place....... love peace and BOND....

YOLT-new-american-libray.jpg
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 382

SP-18
    MR-0

Oh the irony!
    Didn't someone do a voting thread for how old people on here are? Think we must have missed the number of 5 year olds.
  • GBFGBF
    OK: So I appologise if I said something wrong. I did not intend to criticise anyone.

@Birdleson please stay in this game :-)

Nobody ever intended to say something aganinst your voting behaviour....
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Forgot TSWLM, which I'll be doing first:

PTS: TSWLM
    Title track: TSWLM
    Titles: TSWLM
    Main villain: TSWLM
    Henchman: TSWLM
    Plot: TSWLM
    Dialogue: TSWLM
    Score: TSWLM
    Settings: TSWLM
    Action: TSWLM
    Humour: TSWLM
    Cinematography: TSWLM
    Benign Bizarre: TSWLM
    Suspense: TSWLM
    Minor Characters: TSWLM
    Bond performance: TSWLM

SP - 2
    TSWLM - 16

Pretty clear this score, on to MR:

PTS: MR
    Titles: MR
    Main villain: MR
    Main Bond Girl: MR
    Henchman: SP
    Plot: SP
    Dialogue: MR
    Settings: MR
    Cinematography: MR
    Suspense: MR
    Minor Characters: MR
    Glamour: MR
    Bond performance: MR

SP - 2
    MR - 16

Same score here, SP is having a hard time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't have a problem with people preferring MR to SP. Why shouldn't they?

It's a perfectly OTT Bond film, and one that was extremely successful (and held the box office record for more than a few decades in inflation adjusted terms). If anything, I think that film has been blasted too much over the years here. Sure it's got exaggerated elements, but that's the point of the film. It's meant to be a more 'in your face' version of TSWLM. One that almost laughs at its own ridiculousness while still giving us incredible sets, visuals, one of Barry's best scores during the Moore era and some wonderful dialogue.

I find it highly entertaining. It's not the kind of Bond film to overanalyze. None of Gilbert's films stand up to much scrutiny. They are just all supremely iconic and great entertainment.

Having said that, at the end of the day, this is all subjective anyway.

For the record: I'm not on this thread to bash SP. I just much prefer MR. Rest assured, the Brosnan years will soon be upon us here, and SP will have plenty of opportunity to launch a comeback.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,325
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with people preferring MR to SP. Why shouldn't they?

It's a perfectly OTT Bond film, and one that was extremely successful (and held the box office record for more than a few decades in inflation adjusted terms). If anything, I think that film has been blasted too much over the years here. Sure it's got exaggerated elements, but that's the point of the film. It's meant to be a more 'in your face' version of TSWLM. One that almost laughs at its own ridiculousness while still giving us incredible sets, visuals, one of Barry's best scores during the Moore era and some wonderful dialogue.

I find it highly entertaining. It's not the kind of Bond film to overanalyze. None of Gilbert's films stand up to much scrutiny. They are just all supremely iconic and great entertainment.

Having said that, at the end of the day, this is all subjective anyway.

For the record: I'm not on this thread to bash SP. I just much prefer MR. Rest assured, the Brosnan years will soon be upon us here, and SP will have plenty of opportunity to launch a comeback.

The scene of Corinne being chased by the dogs is brilliant as is the centrifuge scene. Every Bond film has some brilliant bits, even dare I say it ... Die Another Day.