The things we want to return to the Bond movies.

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2016 Posts: 6,778
    It's been a while since we had some baccarat.
    Giving bond a personality.

1. Letting us know what he likes and dislikes. Suits, food, cars, wine. It's the defining characteristic of the Fleming Bond. Just drinking champagne doesn't cut it. I want to hear him order it and educate us why.

2. Seeing bond looking great but not in a suit. Again a Fleming characteristic.

3. Pithy comebacks. Rather see bond make a jibe about the villains choice of tailor than just a 'pun'.

4. Bond the connoisseur

5. Bond the man of the world. He knows the best small restaurants when heading south in the car to the core dazure. He feels as comfortable in northern Italy as Scotland. He knows people.

6. Bond the man who wants nothing left in his bank account when he dies before the statutory age of 45.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Get Bond away from London. Get him away from communication - I know that's difficult in this day and age - but stripping him of a cell phone and putting him on a place equivalent to Crab Key or Scaramanga's Island to survive on his wits would be great. (Not like when is forced to not use technology due to tracking etc - like in SF but because he has no access to it.)

I like Ben Wishaw and Naomi Harris but can they make one or two scene cameos in the next Bond film? Rather than being integral to the plot?

Bond is given a mission - he follows that mission. A countdown is on to ratchet up the tension.

I just rewatched Dr No for the thousandth time and while it isn't perfect - I love that film so much for it's style and structure. It has a mystery that starts small and builds and Bond himself has style to burn.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 6,778
    Matt007 wrote: »

1. Letting us know what he likes and dislikes. Suits, food, cars, wine. It's the defining characteristic of the Fleming Bond. Just drinking champagne doesn't cut it. I want to hear him order it and educate us why.

3. Pithy comebacks. Rather see bond make a jibe about the villains choice of tailor than just a 'pun'.

4. Bond the connoisseur

5. Bond the man of the world. He knows the best small restaurants when heading south in the car to the core dazure. He feels as comfortable in northern Italy as Scotland. He knows people.

6. Bond the man who wants nothing left in his bank account when he dies before the statutory age of 45.

This is indeed what we need. Enough Everyman Bond. Bring back the classy stuff.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    Get Bond away from London. Get him away from communication - I know that's difficult in this day and age - but stripping him of a cell phone and putting him on a place equivalent to Crab Key or Scaramanga's Island to survive on his wits would be great. (Not like when is forced to not use technology due to tracking etc - like in SF but because he has no access to it.)

I like Ben Wishaw and Naomi Harris but can they make one or two scene cameos in the next Bond film? Rather than being integral to the plot?

Bond is given a mission - he follows that mission. A countdown is on to ratchet up the tension.

I just rewatched Dr No for the thousandth time and while it isn't perfect - I love that film so much for it's style and structure. It has a mystery that starts small and builds and Bond himself has style to burn.

Completely agree with this,
    I'd also like to see Bond back undercover, assuming a different name and using the universal exports cover. Also a bit more reference to his naval background and maybe some scenes with him in the firing range and exercising, all things present in the Fleming literary character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »

4. Bond the connoisseur

This is indeed what we need. Enough Everyman Bond. Bring back the classy stuff.
    I get excited just thinking about seeing this kind of Bond again. He's been gone far too long and is overdue for a return to the big screen.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    As for RM and PB, they were too playful. I never felt the peril. TD and DC had their moments.

Brosnan had his lasser scene moment when he was tortured by Elektra, if Sukovsky wouldn't have come on time Bond would have died strangled.
    So we saw Pierce Bond in real danger in that scene, hey also in Tomorrow never dies with Dr Kaufman he was close to be killed he got lukcy Stamper couldn't open the door pf the car.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,599
    Yes, there is an aspirational, elitist and classy aspect of Bond that we seem to have lost. Much of this is not Bond himself but the context of the environment he is working within. There is plenty of potential to see more of this.
    I think many fans enjoy the fantasy aspect of Bond and dream that they could move in his circles. So, for example, when you see Bond on the Tube, (" welcome to rush hour"), there is something not quiet right.
    My main gripe regarding the character is that since ohmss the Fleming aspects have really been lost.

Whenever eon talk about returning to Fleming they usually mean 'real' or 'gritty'. Neither of which I particularly associate with flemingian bond.

It's far more flemingian for bond to be the right side of fantastical but be an understated connoisseur who enjoys expensive and tasteful things because he never knows how long he has to live n
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    M need's scaling back a bit....the character is waaay too involved in the films since Brosnan's : TWINE,DAD,SF,SP....
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @barryt007, agreed, but it doesn't mean M should be removed entirely, just dialed back considerably.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 19,339
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @barryt007, agreed, but it doesn't mean M should be removed entirely, just dialed back considerably.

Ah,i don't think I worded that right earlier,i need to go back and edit that,i meant just scaled back a bit..it wouldn't be a Bond film without M (well apart from FYEO of course).

1. A PTS that returns to the mini-movie style John Glen excelled at. If it HAS to be related to the plot, then make it subtle like the micro chip in AVTAK. Otherwise a self contained mini Bond adventure in the 6-7 minute range. By the time that tracking shot in SP was over, Connery's Bond could have scuba dived with a seagull head, blown up a heroin plant, made out with a beauty and fought and electrocuted a baddie. All while wearing his white dinner jacket too.
    2. No more ear pieces. He's OO7- the BEST agent in MI6-he doesn't NEED M or Q to walk him through every action while on assignment. Granted it was funny while he was chasing Silva through the subway system, but Bond isn't on training wheels. He needs to be the man.
    3. I'll back what other posters here have commented on M, Q and Moneypenny's screen time. Lee, Maxwell and Desmond made generations of audiences love them with just minutes on the screen. It was like seeing beloved old family members at Christmas- not annoying ones you see every day.
    4. Two main locations while OO7 is on his assignment a'la India and Germany in OP, France and San Francisco in AVTAK. Actually film it there, too- give the actor playing Bond a chance to see someplace other than Pinewood and England. I'm sure Roger Moore would attest it was one of the perks to playing Bond.
    5. How about an exciting finale? I'll take AVTAK's mineshaft /Golden Gate Bridge section over all four of the Craig ending's any day. And VIEW used to be like least favorite Bond film!
    Its interesting what you say about climaxes to Bond. For me the last really exciting finale was LTK! I would love to see a chase sequence finale. (I know SP sort of had one, but a boat chasing a helicopter?, No, it didn't work!) My favourite, OHMSS, had that fantastic bobsled chase! The endings to all recent films have struggled to excite me! CR came the closest!
    I agree about scaling back M, Q and Moneypenny involvement!
    @Mathis1 -I loved LTK's ending- a great Bond climax. I remember the audience reactions during that scene. When Tim turns the tanker on it's side as the missile blows the truck behind him-that explosion was so huge the audience cheered. Considering that Dalton's reception was considered lukewarm, I can't say I've experienced a Bond film since that had such a loud audience response throughout.
    I'll agree CR was so far the closest Craig ending to satisfy. Still I'd say some of the Venice sinking bits could have been tightened. All the Brosnan endings are limp IMO, with maybe the exception of GE.
    No, sorry, running around a Satellite dish didn't do it for me! TND ending was appallingly bad, TWINEs was just boring, and the less said about CGI, er, I mean DAD, the better!
    My favourite moment in that fantastic tanker chase was when Bond brought the truck down on top of the jeep, that got a good reaction from the audience I was with!
    As far as PB endings go I'd have to pick GE as the best of a very bad batch. That being said, I'd still rank it lower than the oil rig in DAF or even the cave battle in NSNA.
    Lower than the oil rig in DAF ? really ??!! not GE's ending surely !
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight is Right and ToThePoint.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    The NSNA ending is a piece of s**t compared to GE's ending.

DAF has the original Connery pain-face when Mr Wint is strangling him.

Skyfall's ending in the chapel was excellent.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Lower than the oil rig in DAF ? really ??!! not GE's ending surely !

LOl I actually kind of like the oil rig climax. Silly, but fun. Pity they missed out on the Hoover dam fight with Blofeld they were going to do.
    Another comical ending I appreciate is LALD's underground cave sequence. Perfectly fits the tone of the film and doesn't have an inflated opinion of itself.

'Inflated opinion' ? ..is that a dig at Kananga's exploding balloon impression hahaha..its hould be !!
    'Inflated opinion' ? ..is that a dig at Kananga's exploding balloon impression hahaha..its hould be !!
    Indeed.

As a teenager I loved the final fight with Stamper on the stealth ship.

Now...other than the music...it's not so good. Wayy too much mugging and naff sound effects.
    @BAIN123, agreed, an issue I've had with TND is how cheesy a lot of those sound effects are, particularly during the fight scenes.
    @BAIN123, agreed, an issue I've had with TND is how cheesy a lot of those sound effects are, particularly during the fight scenes.

Yes, I think that cheesy sound effect was in quite a lot of 90s movies.
    It's a shame re the ending of TND..the grenade scene on the stealth boat where Bond pre-empted Carver killing Gupta,was really Bondian..just the rest of it isnt .
    It's a shame re the ending of TND..the grenade scene on the stealth boat where Bond pre-empted Carver killing Gupta,was really Bondian..just the rest of it isnt .

"Sorry about that, I, uhh, tuned out there for a moment, Elliot."

Hahaha that's the one,Creasy...and i like that line as well..the film does have nice touches and i admit i like it...its my 'Go To' Bond flick when i'm drunk,as well !

TND is a pretty quotable movie I'd say.