Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    In general or part of her in particular?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    In general or part of her in particular?

just put me off figs for a while.

edited August 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Captain Marvel Director Shortlist Revealed

"The Hollywood Reporter brings word of a director shortlist for Marvel Studios’ upcoming Captain Marvel. Among the names said to be up for the Captain Marvel director chair include Niki Caro (director of Whale Rider and Walt Disney Pictures’ McFarland, USA), Lesli Linka Glatter (primarily a director of television with episodes of The Walking Dead and Homeland under her belt), and Lorene Scafaria (director of The Meddler and Seeking a Friend for the End of the World). The trade notes that it may still be some time before Marvel makes a decision on who will finally helm the long-awaited movie."

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/760619-captain-marvel-director-shortlist-revealed#ROCAzc7yiaml6YiX.99

That's solid talent they've got ready to take this on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nice to see promising female talent getting a chance to work on these big time films. One of the great pluses of female superhero films these days is that they seek out female talent to helm the projects. Patty Jenkins looks to be making magic with Wonder Woman on the DC side as well, so let's hope their directorial successes increase the female led films we see from both companies in the future.
    I can't believed they left this out of the final cut

This newly released deleted scene between T'Challa and Natasha where T'Challa pretty much outwits and puts Nat in her place is typical black panther.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The movie's two and a half hours long. Some things had to go.
    And that 58 seconds scene shouldn't have been one of them.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's just how movie making goes. Good scenes are taken out for reason A or reason B. That scene could always be repurposed later, either for the Black Panther movie or Infinity War. The moment in Winter Soldier between Steve and Peggy was originally written for Avengers.
    That scene won't be reused. The context of how it plays out is dedicated to the events of Civil War. T'Challa wants Bucky on a plane headed to Wakanda and due to his political savviness, he himself no longer needs to be "held" for questioning. He's free to go and only stays because Bucky escapes, hence T'Challa's pursuit of him through out the rest of the film where he tracks him down to Siberia; and then learns of Bucky's innocence. In any case, T'Challa gets Bucky to Wakanda' providing him help and protection instead of as a prisoner, rendering this deleted scene useless going forward in any other film.
    I didn't say "reused", I said "repurposed". That scene won't return, but one that fulfills the same purpose, potentially with the same characters, could be used in a future film.
    Watched Civil War 3 times since yesterday, airport sequence is great though think the last act is better and resumes the tone of the first act. T' Challa really brings depth to the film, great character.
    Well I find the whole Spider-Man ordeal quite shocking ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hahaha, we're getting Shocker in a movie? That's amazing... I suspect he'll be a quick threat maybe to set Spidey up for the main event. When Peter banters with Schultz now I'll be reminded of the Spider-Man video game from way back in 2002 where the two also had a bout, during which Spider-Man consistently ribbed him to shreds.
  • Now that Spidey's in the MCU (still waiting on X-Men...) we need to see him fight the Hulk!!
    They fought in the comics a few times, and Spider-Man once made Hulk turn back into Bruce Banner just by telling him a joke! :))
    @Master_Dahark, I'd certainly love to see Bruce and Peter in a scene working on some science theory or problem solving a difficult conundrum together. Those kinds of scenes between Bruce and Tony are some of my favorites in the Avengers movies.
    Yeah those bro-science scenes between Banner and Stark put a smile on my face. Now, with Peter Parker involved T'Challa, Pym, Doctor Strange and Lang I hope to get more of these scenes. It's just a shame Reed and the rest of the F4 aren't part of the MCU.

latest?cb=20101201184136

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Watched Civil War 3 times since yesterday, airport sequence is great though think the last act is better and resumes the tone of the first act. T' Challa really brings depth to the film, great character.

I just re-watched Civil War. Overall, it's a very solid film. The Russo Brothers continue to raise the bar for Marvel films. But I have to agree with you @fire_and_ice, the airport fight does seem to clash with the rest of the film, particularly the flow. I don't feel the sequence really added much to the story. And that's fine, not every scene needs to, but if that's the case, I don't think the scene should be 15 minutes long. Hell, Falcon read my mind when he said to Cap mid-fight "This isn't the real fight" so when the scene was over, I found myself thinking "Cool, back to the story now".

• Watched Civil War 3 times since yesterday, airport sequence is great though think the last act is better and resumes the tone of the first act. T' Challa really brings depth to the film, great character.

I just re-watched Civil War. Overall, it's a very solid film. The Russo Brothers continue to raise the bar for Marvel films. But I have to agree with you @fire_and_ice, the airport fight does seem to clash with the rest of the film, particularly the flow. I don't feel the sequence really added much to the story. And that's fine, not every scene needs to, but if that's the case, I don't think the scene should be 15 minutes long. Hell, Falcon read my mind when he said to Cap mid-fight "This isn't the real fight" so when the scene was over, I found myself thinking "Cool, back to the story now".

It's great to watch the Airport scene though even Scarlet Witch says to Hawkeye that he was pulling his punches, a death at the end of the scene would have really given it extra weight I think.

These are just epic and bloody beautiful

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Appears the movie is getting an earlier release in the UK (October 25th instead of the 28th), but not in the US (November 4th), and will have a runtime of 130 minutes:

http://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-strange-runtime/
    The November release feels better to me. Superhero movies in the horror month would just seem weird.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Doctor Strange is released on Oct 26th here, so I will probably double bill it with 'Girl On The Train' which also premieres on that day.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 11,139
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 533
    Apparently Suicide Squad budget was $370 including marketing - so they need to make $700 million plus to break even. DC make great video games and animated movies - just watched Batman Year One - awesome. Why don't WB tap into this creative talent? They are crazy.

The budget for "Suicide Squad" was $175 million dollars. It has earned at least $679.4 million dollars so far.

And that's why I prefer Marvel's take (although they did copy a lot) on their super characters. The origins and the history of the x-men against the back drop of the civil rights movement is so spot on. Marvel deal with real issues instead of god like issues. DC's most grounded character is still their most successful and he's a normal man, or should I say Batman.

Are you being paid by Disney/Marvel? Why has it come down to the public being forced to choose between Marvel and DC Comics? Why is it that people cannot simply appreciate the characters and stories from both comic book worlds? That's a lot to appreciate and I feel that we should be grateful for it.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 11,139
    DRush76 wrote: »

Are you being paid by Disney/Marvel? Why has it come down to the public being forced to choose between Marvel and DC Comics? Why is it that people cannot simply appreciate the characters and stories from both comic book worlds? That's a lot to appreciate and I feel that we should be grateful for it.

Sometimes people get too caught up with their preferences and end up pitting one side against the other, kind of like the whole east coast/west coast hip hop feud back in the mid 90s.
    Other times and what is mostly the case is, people tend to gravitate to what they perceive as being more interesting and where they get the most enjoyment from. There are about 5 to 6 comic book movies alone that come out in one year and these can be costly visits. No one wants to waste money on garbage and as it turns out, Disney/Marvel have a much better reputation with their movies than WB/DC does and that's the fault of WB/DC themselves. I've posted in tge DC thread an article where Geoff Johns essentially concedes that they messed up and shit the bed and by the looks of things, they're going to largely continue making the same mistakes.

Make a great movie that focuses on story telling and respecting these great characters and they'll do well. The first Christopher Reeve superman film is a great movie and adjusted for inflation made $1.1 Billion. In 2008 and 2012 WB/DC made over a $Billion respectively with the critically acclaimed TDK and TDKR films; so what's the problem? The problem is many people are dissatisfied with WB/DC's approach in how they're making these movies. One doesn't need to read an article from their Studio heads to tell us what is already evident. There's no clear vision, they've employed a flimsy adhoc strategy, they built this universe on the back of Snyder and they got greedy, trying to join the $Billion club without putting in the work to ensure people enjoy these movies enough to not just get to a $Billion but to walk away with a tidy profit and the necessary goodwill to make them a worthy and exciting contender instead of being regarded as the "Transformers" of the comic book movie genre. It really is a mess over there and that report featuring comments from Geoff Johns only serves to highlight that tbh.

That being said, I love all these characters and Superman (Reeve) is my hero, my guy and those 2 Donner films capture the essence and magic of who the character is but lately WB/DC have given audiences a reason to lose hope and faith in them and to be angry and show a dislike for the brand because they're the ones not doing their jobs properly. It's hard and in most casrs not possible to appreciate something that is so obstinately adhering to failing on the most fundamental level. Disney/Marvel do not have this major problem.