DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    13892268_10154462638676554_8241280838357864201_n.jpg?oh=04df7b1b35a6e485ec0d9c12b588c098&oe=585DDE03

I can not believe CW did not pick up on how bad that tag line is. :-O This can not be legitimate.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    It's not legit. Appeared all over Twitter as someone had made the change for laughs. Replace "IN" with "TO" and you have it.

superman-supergirl-fan-poster.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,694
    13886996_574831232686915_6692720185857584099_n.jpg?oh=2dc51bda79465551b2a4cefd740e4f63&oe=58509D32

Rob_Roy_Liam_Neeson.JPG
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    The DCEU is doomed. 3 strikes and you are out! The BO numbers are not good for SS overall,

Good to know EON should have called ended the Bond franchise after TMWTGG, after LTK and after DAD. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    CBG19 speaks:

I share her frustration and confusion at this point.
    I can not believe CW did not pick up on how bad that tag line is. :-O This can not be legitimate.
    archer_phrasing.jpg

:) Other than that it looks fantastic- nice bright colors that I'd expect from Superman!

Am I a complete misogynist because I haven't seen a single episode of Supergirl yet, but now I'm interested?
    Granted I don't have cable (Hulu & Netflix are how I watch Flash & Arrow) but I still can't help feeling a little guilty
    :-\"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    archer_phrasing.jpg

:) Other than that it looks fantastic- nice bright colors that I'd expect from Superman!

Am I a complete misogynist because I haven't seen a single episode of Supergirl yet, but now I'm interested?
    Granted I don't have cable (Hulu & Netflix are how I watch Flash & Arrow) but I still can't help feeling a little guilty
    :-\"

That depends. Did you specifically not watch Supergirl because of the girl in the name but now want to watch it because Superman is in the show?

It's not a great show, not on par with Flash or Arrow, but it's better than Gotham.
    13886996_574831232686915_6692720185857584099_n.jpg?oh=2dc51bda79465551b2a4cefd740e4f63&oe=58509D32

Rob_Roy_Liam_Neeson.JPG
    The DCEU is doomed. 3 strikes and you are out! The BO numbers are not good for SS overall,

Good to know EON should have called ended the Bond franchise after TMWTGG, after LTK and after DAD. ;)

All those movies came out after DN, FRwL, GF, TB, etc. Duh.
    What the DCEU has done is the equivalent of a sprinter tripping out of the blocks. The race is already over at that point. :-?
    And Gal Gadot is a horrible actress. I'm dumbfounded anyone thinks differently. She can't act! Mark my words, WW will be a disaster like the first 3. This will not be the movie to save them.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

CBG19 speaks:

I share her frustration and confusion at this point.

Yep! She couldn't even muster up the energy to give a proper full review because there's just no point. It's exhausting constantly pointing out the obvious in what should sensibly go into making a good film. On every level this film is a mess; but that's what happens when this whole "project" has been a fundamental misstep from the start.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 11,139
    And Gal Gadot is a horrible actress. I'm dumbfounded anyone thinks differently. She can't act! Mark my words, WW will be a disaster like the first 3. This will not be the movie to save them.

I'm not convinced that Gadot can't and won't do a good job in her WW solo movie. I thought she's been good so far in what we've seen of her in the role. I really hope WW turns out to be a success. Time will tell.
    I love Gal, and rooted for her since the beginning. She's a capable actress and anyone who thinks she's 'anorexic' needs their heads checked.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I liked Gal too. I can't wait to see her in Wonder Woman and Justice League.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    comic book girl 19 - frustration is shared among film lovers/people who like story telling. But these films are not made for the N.American audience anymore, with the rise of the Chinese box office and other international markets - studios chase the money and these markets. Rational story telling will be lost in translation - but cool visuals and good looking actors on imax screens with janet and john story telling will satisfy these markets and make money.

ironically will smith who was one of the better things to come out of this dung heap which is suicide club, will not be taken by the chinese market because of his ethnicity - see what happened to Finn on the chinese posters for Star Wars and lack of Box office. Gawd help us all. That's why we'll never have an ethnic actor to play Bond.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Probably another "scoop" from El Mayimbe like the MOS 2 rumors but...

‘Aquaman’ Villain Revealed (Exclusive)

http://www.thewrap.com/aquaman-villain-revealed-exclusive/
    "TheWrap has exclusively learned the bad guy of the movie will be Aquaman’s deadliest and most-famous opponent — Black Manta."
    The only good DC characters are Batman and Superman and they already screwed them both up. They're doomed. They need to listen to Comic Book Girl 19 and start from scratch.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I hope Justice League ends with the formation of the Hall of Justice. They could even film on location at Union Station, the real life inspiration of the Hall of Justice in my home state of Ohio. :D
    LTrkSX8.jpg
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 591
    DC and WB are not gonna start again. From a business point of view, that's probably the worst thing they could do. I personally don't think these films are as bad as people say, Suicide Squad especially. I think people just got something different to what they were expecting. My personal opinion is that they should be more aware of what they're using when it comes to what clips they advertise.

If people want change in the DCEU, then they're companies are just gonna have to improve on what they've already got. Starting again is no way to go. I agree that as someone who loves storytelling it's frustrating to see it go so unused in these films.

By the way, I've also made this poster for the Batman solo film, I do have a copy with The Joker, Catwoman and Gordon in it, but I'm not too keen on it at the moment. Below the poster is a fan trailer I've made for the film:

the_batman__2018____poster_by_swannmadeleine-dadh698.jpg

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Batman solo film is the only film I'm interested in from DC. Let's just hope that it is standalone and not filled with cameos of DC's other failed and burgeoning franchises. IMO they should be focused on salvaging the good and containing the damage. Basically they should ignore the Marvel model of daisy chaining the franchises together. They will cause more harm than good by following that example. This superman is an unmitigated disaster zone. Two movies and two cataclysmic failures. Having this James Bond reject show his ugly mug in the new aquaman trailer or whatever will only crush whatever chances that sorry franchise has of getting off the ground.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    I am riding the rough wave of D.C. cinematic universe, though WB do have a major get out and that's The Flash they could alter the entire cinematic universe quite easily.

why-the-multiverse-story-can-blow-away-the-competition-the-flash-season-2-529451.jpg

Multiverse...
    Yeah, I think that guy was actually quite impressive as the Flash in that trailer. To me he seems like an effeminate Kylo Ren, which is what the Flash should be if you ask me.
    Sanchairs wrote: »
    comic book girl 19 - frustration is shared among film lovers/people who like story telling. But these films are not made for the N.American audience anymore, with the rise of the Chinese box office and other international markets - studios chase the money and these markets. Rational story telling will be lost in translation - but cool visuals and good looking actors on imax screens with janet and john story telling will satisfy these markets and make money.

ironically will smith who was one of the better things to come out of this dung heap which is suicide club, will not be taken by the chinese market because of his ethnicity - see what happened to Finn on the chinese posters for Star Wars and lack of Box office. Gawd help us all. That's why we'll never have an ethnic actor to play Bond.

There's some truth in what you say but let's not get too carried away. These films are very much made for the domestic market. Firstly SS doesn't even get a China release; secondly a film like Deadpool didn't either and still went on to gross almost $800 million world wide and it was R-rated. TFA and BvS each made roughly around $50 million in China, SP made $44 million, SF made even less and yet Terminator grossed over $100 million over there and under $90 million domestic with no sequel in sight. Also bare in mind only a select number of non Chinese films can be released over there; so there's no real guarantee specific Hollywood films can get a theatrical run over there. Furthermore Hollywood doesn't even get to take away a decent haul from the revenue made in China anyway. Really and truly figures from over there are bonus sums to prop up domestic and other foreign figures but make no mistake the domestic market is paramount. If a film is grossing close to or more than a $Billion and is making under $100 million in China that says it all really.

Hollywood, especially with their tentpoles need to focus on and strive to making great films by having both the spectacle AND a great story with great characters. Make these films as if the Chinese market isnt open; people will flock and pay to see it. A commercial vehicle with spectacle and depth will only serve to be a great thing. A film doesn't gross a $Billion by people only going to see the film once. Dont waste their time and give them a reason to go back again and again.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not undervaluing China's influence and value because a revenue stream is still a revenue stream but when film makers focus on actual quality film making everything else will fall into place.

We live in a time where social media has given rise to a generation of DIY critics who can influence and control the outcome of what will and what won't be a success. People want good shit. TDK is a great example of this. Theres a reason why after 8 years TDK is still being praised and that didn't have a China release but still grossed over $Billion. With the money, time and resources poured into these movies, film makers might as well get the job done properly. Guys like Nolan knew this. Story, characters and spectacle! Execs at WB and Fox have all but admitted to not making films to a standard of appropriate expectation and it's only after their failures and witnessing the success of others that they want to try and course correct.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 533
    I saw "SUICIDE SQUAD" recently. I really didn't know what to expect from it. Needless to say, I really enjoyed it. I have a few quibbles with the movie. That is expected. But I am soooo glad that I did not automatically accepted the critics' opinions and stayed away. In fact, I'm glad that I had ignored the critics regarding "BATMAN V. SUPERMAN" as well.

As for this Marvel v. DC Comics campaign . . . I find it rather stupid. I find it ridiculous that the media and the studios demand that the public choose one franchise over the other. Although I have been a little disappointed with Marvel lately (with the exception of "ANT-MAN"), I have no intention of giving it up, unless it really disappoints me in the future. I feel the same way about the DC Comics films. I feel that it is more than possible to enjoy any comic book movie, as long as I find it satisfying.

Execs at WB and Fox have all but admitted to not making films to a standard of appropriate expectation and it's only after their failures and witnessing the success of others that they want to try and course correct.

What failure for WB? They seemed to be doing pretty good right now. If they're not as successful as Marvel at the moment . . . who cares? They're still doing pretty good. And by the way, why should I allow that to stop me from watching their films? I like to march to the beat of my own drum and not one of some arrogant film critic.

But what I find really ridiculous is that the media and certain fans seemed to think that film critics are the last word on the quality of any movie. After years of going to the movies, I find that concept rather laughable.
    Edit
    "What failure?" "WB seem to be doing good right now" You sure about that? WB have a nasty habbit of overspending on their movies. "Who cares"? Well many fans do and actually the Studios themselves. Don't underplayed the business aspect of things because studios sometimes will exploit a brand or ip where they could give a fuck less about the quality but know on the goodwill alone it'll gross good money. Why do you think the opening weekend figures are so important? WB are masters when it comes to marketing campaigns. Their work pre and post release of BvS is one for the history books; especially with the way they handled trying to spin things after that insane drop after opening weekend. It was a holiday period and the film had no competition. Yeah, not a failure at all.

However, WB's latest 3 DC films are imo garbage (came to my own conclusion after seeing the films, imagine that) and are critical failures. Fact. Now factoring in marketing costs, which IS important, Suicide Squad alone costs well over $200million. It has no business costing that much. Think about this, the average cost of 30 seconds of air time during a commercial is $500,000. During an episode of prime time TV it's between $300,000 and $500,000. Each and every time! SS's marketing campaign is one of the best and hardcore pushed in recent history not just on TV but on social media. It's beyond idiotic at how WB overspend on a marketing campaign on movies that were/are ridiculously over expensive in the first place. Then add to that the fact that studios only get a 50/50 split of box office receipts and get even LESS on foreign box office receipts. These films at the very least are meant to be profitable but that's not even the case with WB/DC and don't get me started on Fox.

You need to learn to pay attention to the details. F4ntastic Four was a failure, MoS and BvS were failures; critically and financially for their respective studios. For all 3 movies $millions were left on the table and for the latter, it facilitated an executive reshuffling to improve upon the creative anesthetic and technical components of these movies. I've posted enough reports here with facts, figures and quotes from studio execs that corroborate these critical and financial failures.

If people find enjoyment in these films, good for them. For me, it's not about picking sides. I'm a fan of the genre and I want to see more of these films get made and made well; but I'm not impressed with WB/DC at all post Nolan's TDK.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, failure here isn't about whether you think a film is good or not. When a studio makes it monolithically expensive to produce their films, shells out money recklessly on reshoots and marketing, and then goes on to barely break-even at the box office and therefore makes no tangible profit, that's an issue.

DC and Warner have gotten lucky in that up to this point they've not really lost all that much of the money they put up for these films. The bad news and salient point here, is that they haven't gained money either, and certainly not the levels of Marvel cash they and everyone else are seeking these days.

They wanted Avengers money right out of the gate, when Marvel took time to build to that point and got the money their hard work deserved later on. DC and Warner have done it sloppily and paid for it in spades.

Now we're looking toward WW and JL as all pressure is put on them. I have immense faith that WW will be good, and a lot less of that in JL, for many reasons, most prominent of which is Snyder at the helm and WB's knack for making cut-up, messy edits for their films when they buy in to public scrutiny (look at Suicide Squad for another repeat of this move).

If JL receives the same bashing that these other films have, then WB might as well cut their losses and accept defeat. I don't think even that will happen, though, because by the time JL is in theaters, production will already have begun on Flash and Aquaman, and even if critics eat JL alive and it makes sub-par money, those projects will be too far along for WB to just up and stop them.

At the very least, if HMS Warner sinks to the bottom of the sea as it damn well could somewhere down the line, at least we'll get one good Wonder Woman film out of it, and a decent and promising Superman movie (MoS), which, like the entire slate of films so far, shows vast potential gone to waste.
    Bingo.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Watched the Ultimate Edition of BvS last night. I'm in the minority that really enjoyed the movie and the UE makes it even more so. The extra scenes etc. certainly help it along.

One thing sprung to mind watching it; the scene
    where Bruce is dreaming and he sees Flash, here:

When I watched this again last night it seemed very similar to something that was happening with Flash in the new DC Rebirth titles, in particular the issue of DC Universe Rebirth (I'm yet to read his own new series just yet). Not sure if anyone has read it but it certainly lit a light bulb in my head.
    STL007326.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg
    DC and WB are actively trying to make certain parts of their films and comics match up, so I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know how much good those decisions will do them in the long-run, however.
    Batman V Superman made them 100's of millions of dollars. Not marvel money, but nothing to sneeze at.

No matter what happens they will continue to make Batman films. That's to big of a cash cow to not do anything with. That's all I'm really excited for anymore.