DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    doubleoego wrote: »
    From reddit

Quote:

Why the ****ing **** does Suicide Squad have a rotten rating on RT? This can't be happening. I'm having a ****ing breakdown.

Holy ****. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want DC to be on top and fix this broken industry. I cannot ****ing deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought it was polling well in audience previews???? This is so ****ed.

=))

This is literally the best thing I've seen from Reddit in my life.
    :))

Just heard there is a petition 5000 strong now to shut down RT because of negative D.C. reviews, that is crazy I love D.C. though if I like it don't care what others think.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Campea really enjoyed it, it's ok to have people being positive about a D.C. film it is allowed mate.

The big issue isn't him liking it. I just find it weird how a film can go from bad to spectacular for someone with 30 minutes of content, 20 minutes of which added nothing to the film anyway.
    From reddit

Quote:

Why the ****ing **** does Suicide Squad have a rotten rating on RT? This can't be happening. I'm having a ****ing breakdown.

Holy ****. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want DC to be on top and fix this broken industry. I cannot ****ing deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought it was polling well in audience previews???? This is so ****ed.

=))

The inclusion of chicken nuggets make it classic. Absolutely classic.

You'd think that poor kid (8 years old maybe?) was talking about the American election or something. What are the odds he's a 50 year old man living in his mother's basement?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Schnepp did alter his opinion after the Ultimate Edition, Campea consistently liked BvS.
    Campea really enjoyed it, it's ok to have people being positive about a D.C. film it is allowed mate.

The big issue isn't him liking it. I just find it weird how a film can go from bad to spectacular for someone with 30 minutes of content, 20 minutes of which added nothing to the film anyway.
    From reddit

Quote:

=))

The inclusion of chicken nuggets make it classic. Absolutely classic.

You'd think that poor kid (8 years old maybe?) was talking about the American election or something. What are the odds he's a 50 year old man living in his mother's basement?

:))
    the only movie critic I think is unbiased, logical, passionate and no B/S is comicbookgirl 19. I'll wait for her review before I give DC any money.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    CBG19 is as metal as they come. I'll be looking out for her review too. She definitely holds nothing back.

The Schmoes have reached the same conclusion as many:

Good characters put in a bad, bad movie.
    Darth Harloff and Mark 2 D 2 certainly both against the plot of the film, sounds like some world building was shoe horned in from what they said.

John Campea what was he thinking :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Multiple cuts of Suicide Squad were being developed simultaneously

Quote:

In May, Ayer's more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. "If there are multiple opinions that aren't in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least," says an insider. "That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus." Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to "a very common-ground place." (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars worth of additional photography.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/mult...ltaneously-214

...So much for WB/DC's claims of supporting unique director-driven filmmaking.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...reative-874799

Quote:

Zack and [DC chief creative officer] Geoff Johns have outlined a timeline of where everybody is based off of, where our characters go in Justice League. So there's a framework. But it's filmmaker-driven, in that we want to hire direc*tors who still have a point of view and that have latitude because we don't want all the movies to feel the same. David Ayer has a certain tone and feel to what he brought to Suicide Squad, as does Patty [Jenkins] to Wonder Woman. They have freedom to tell their story in the way that it needs to be told.

Quote:

ZACK Batman v. Superman was always a step*pingstone for Justice League, and it was a way to bring the worlds together without being too jarring. Once you say Batman and Superman exist in the same universe, you're also saying that Wonder Woman can exist in that world and Flash and Cyborg and Aquaman. Our philosophy, though, is it's filmmaker-driven. A lot of it comes from the idea of "do unto others." How would I feel if I was told, "Listen, this is your movie, but shoot it like we say"? It's not fun and cool, and I don't think you get the best work from everybody. To understand that, there is a bigger storyline, and let's all support that and not blow up the entire universe
    More:

Quote:

With anxieties running high that the film wouldn't live up to the tone the public thought it would have, Warner Bros. began working on different cut, separate from David Ayer's, with the assistance of Trailer Park, the company which put together that first teaser.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/mult...ltaneously-214

Honestly, WB made their studio cut with a bloody trailer production company? You couldn't make this stuff up.

Mexico's Second Largest Theatre Chain (cinemex), has CANCELLED every single Suicide Squad showing

https://m.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/4w4pza/mexicos_second_largest_teather_chain_cinemex_has/

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    On RT

Ghostbusters 73%

Suicide Squad 29%

this needs no further comment.
    On RT

Ghostbusters 73%

Suicide Squad 29%

'...Yeah....'

1whuDf.gif

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,461
    I can't stand movie critics and the stupid fucking tomatometer. I would go on, but my content supporting my statement would probably get me banned from here and I don't want that
    Studios are simply damaging there own product with constant interference, money at stake these days means there will be no end to it.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    On RT

Ghostbusters 73%

Suicide Squad 29%

Some people like one random movie more than some people like another random movie? (Random as in there's no reason I can see why one would compare the reception of those two specifically.) Okay.
    I don't know why RT matters to anyone, though. I know it's a thing, and considered somehow important for some reason, but...
    Tuulia wrote: »
    On RT

Ghostbusters 73%

Suicide Squad 29%

Some people think one random movie is better than another random movie? (Random as in there's no reason I can see why one would compare the reception of those two specifically.) Okay.
    I don't know why RT matters to anyone, though. I know it's a thing, and considered somehow important for some reason, but...

Rotten Tomatoes' whole purpose is to show what the world's critics have felt about a movie, and what their criticisms fit into as a collective score of fresh or rotten. Seeing a film that low is definitely a worrying thing, as you don't exactly see positive reviews pouring out. A lot of my favorite critics who like these kinds of films had massive issues with the movie, and I've only see one positive review amongst them, outside of even RT. People can say RT has no place or effect, except that it most certainly does and when a vast majority are outlining the same issues in a film, it's clear that it isn't some big critic conspiracy against DC (I've heard that theory many times, actually), and more just men and women being honest about what they're seeing.

You can't wrestle a film away from your director, try to morph it into something different at the end of the game with a trailer editing team, and expect success. They deserve this response for how they reacted to the BvS criticism. They made a film into something it conceptually wasn't supposed to be, and now it's harmed that vision, made the film unfocused and rambling, and made Ayer's ideas an afterthought in their fight to exploit the characters for as much money as possible.

As for the Ghostbusters, Suicide Squad comparison: The former came out and was called out a lot and got a lot of negative press waved against it, yet the latter is less than half that score in major rotten territory. It also raises an interesting question: Who's more out of their depth in the industry, Sony or WB? What a contest that would be. It seems both can do nothing right, and make decisions any sane person would question from jump.

Their failures aren't surprises at this point, they're simply inevitable missteps built on an avarice of theirs that refuses to be reigned in or tamed. They want all the billions they can stuff in their vaults now, and lack the talent, patience and imagination to make it happen. And when they do a rush job or screw their directors over and people get upset with them, they go to a corner and pout like a kid, then come back and do the same thing all over again.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
  • RC7RC7
    On RT

Ghostbusters 73%

Suicide Squad 29%

Some people like one random movie more than some people like another random movie? (Random as in there's no reason I can see why one would compare the reception of those two specifically.) Okay.

I agree with you. By no means do I think it's always unrepresentative, but I find it rather pointless. As you say above Ghostbusters is sitting pretty on 73%, yet The Goonies, which I consider to be an absolute gem is on 69%. Figures like that only reinforce why these sites are largely redundant in my eyes. I think it was @doubleoego who posted a good article the other day re. tribalism in film, particularly genre film. These sites facilitate that nonsense because they don't encourage discussion, they exist to say 'you win', or 'you lose', which is just pointless.
    13900160_507552182774065_7274565413101719995_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=31ca316fca3a667eb67f11f1fe4ff52f&oe=5826B376

One word: iPhone. The first iPhone came out in 2007 iirc and brought in a whole new frontier in how we utilise, and regard, the internet. Even into the early 2000s the internet was perceived by many people as trivial, a phase and an outlet for kooks and kids. Now it's practically indispensable in a myriad of different ways, and one of those is aggregating data and information on any number of subject matters, from films to games, books, holidays and cooking recipes to product ratings, for instant and easy access. RT is an unbiased consensus or summary of what critics are saying in their reviews. Unfortunately many people don't know or understand its function and the scores they see are not actually given by RT.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    On RT

Ghostbusters 73%

Suicide Squad 29%

'...Yeah....'

1whuDf.gif
    That is truly shocking.

I pay attention to RT for franchises I'm passionate about (like Bond, Bourne, MI, Batman etc.). Strangely, despite the thrashing that BvS received on RT, I didn't really care, because I felt this new universe would be subpar ever since Nolan left the scene. The film was as I expected.

I really don't know much about Suicide Squad (I'm referring to the characters), so the only opinion that really matters to me is my own, and perhaps those of a few trusted members here. I'll render my verdict sometime this weekend or early next week. I expect to be entertained, if nothing else.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Well, I'm heading out to go see Suicide Squad. I'm gonna do my best to keep all the negative buzz out of my mind so I can watch this movie without any preconceived notions. It won't be easy.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,058
    Right....I saw it last night.

I enjoyed it immensely. It has its problems, but it got the characters right. While he was in it, Leto was very good. Robbie nailed Harley, Davis was great Waller, and Will Smith gave his least Will Smith-like performance in years. Killer Croc was barely there which is a shame but I hope he'll be utilised further down the line. The action is frenetic and a bit too unchoreographed for my taste, but it wasn't too offensive. Enchantress was a bit on the boring side (but then again I don't rate Cara DelaEyebrows that highly in general) and the villains are very generic. But the team banter comes across very well.

The plot is quite thin, but the film fired its way on to the screen in the first third, it didn't overstay its welcome and I had a lot of fun because of it. It is miles away from a perfect film but it does contain the characters as I imagined them from the comics. With all the nonsense that went on behind the scenes and all the rumours, I was surprised to walk out with a smile on my face. If there is an extended cut down the line, I am very much looking forward to it.

I actually enjoyed BvS but I would be the first to admit that it had numerous flaws and I only enjoyed it in spite of them. With SS, I feel that critics gave this one a rough ride. At the very least, it's a really enjoyable romp that (while it won't satisfy those looking for depth in each character) sets things up nicely for down the line. The only thing I will say is that Ayer really needs to chose his soundtrack more wisely. Some of the songs are too obvious and some are a poor fit for the respective scenes.

I think I have simply accepted that Warner Bros. and DC are doing things in reverse to how Marvel planned their universe. They're diving right in to the big films. I only hope that they get far enough with the various solo efforts and sequels down the line that these films will be looked upon better in retrospect.

The only problem is that it may never get to that point if JL doesn't knock our socks off.
    Saw it. Loved it.

Great characters. Great action. Great humour.

What. The. Fuck.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Delete
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Delete
    What. The. Fuck.

@Seven_Point_Six_Five, those words don't sound enthusiastic... :-S
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    13938520_1091574584258320_7202311554615299319_n.jpg?oh=fc200446af12c2c43d994685c00bcc40&oe=585E2602

This made me smile.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,257
    What. The. Fuck.

^ These were the only three words I could muster up while sitting in my car after seeing Suicide Squad.

It hate to say it, but this is a bad film. It is a mess. I struggle to find anything good to say about it. I guess I liked some of the characters... that's about the extent of the positive stuff I have to say.

This film was just so poorly made. The plot was dull. The the villain was forgettable. The editing was choppy. The style was immature. The soundtrack stupid and it stomped all over the scenes. The action is messy and forgettable.

But what I hated the most is the film just did not let these characters talk, interact, and develop. This movie did not breathe. Some of my most anticipated scenes from the trailers were reduced to choppy little acid trips or little spastic flashbacks. I so badly wanted to see Dr. Quinzel and the Joker sit across a table from each other and just give us some compelling dialogue. They don't get to do that, no one gets to do that. The characters are just rushed onto the screen and thrown into the action (if that's what you want to call it).

This can't be the film that David Ayer wanted to make. Ayer is better than this. The studio has to have had a hand in this.

I see a lot of people saying this is the best of the 3 DCEU films so far. IMO, this is undoubtedly the worst.