The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Yes, it was. Riding on the coattails of Star Wars, Bond tried to bring in some $$$, and failed. Bond should be on Earth, and only Earth.

I wouldn't say he failed. MR made buckets of money.
    It failed as a Bond film for me, because Moore wasn't ever Bond to me.

You same to hate a lot of Bond films...7 Moore's and 4 Brosnan's... that half the franchise...
    I quite enjoyed moonraker. my only concern which i wasn't keen on was borrowing theme's from other movies! As in magnificent seven, Laurence of Arabia and the most cringeworthy was without doubt the Beach boys in AVTAK! %-(
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 401
    Yes, it was. Riding on the coattails of Star Wars
    And no other Bond film ever did something like that? CR is a very good example of this, it was basically following the "gritty reboot" trend that Batman Begins started, and CR wasn't even really that gritty.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Yes, it was. Riding on the coattails of Star Wars, Bond tried to bring in some $$$, and failed. Bond should be on Earth, and only Earth.

Exactly, and we have it to thank because it kept the series vital. We may not have had an FYEO, OP, TLD, GE or CR if the producers didn't have the foresight to keep the series "fresh" and "relevant"

Sending Bond into space was a mistake

Don't think so. Actually it would be a logical place to go in a story about spaceships.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:

It failed as a Bond film for me, because Moore wasn't ever Bond to me.

You same to hate a lot of Bond films...7 Moore's and 4 Brosnan's... that half the franchise...

What's all this news of me not liking Brosnan now? I may not like the majority of the films, but Brosnan isn't the fault I see with his era. Bad writing and direction marred that era. And I blame DAF for the campiness Rog was thrown into, though I don't know if it was his choice to play it like he did, or if he was pushed.
  • Thesis 010

No, because the Bond film was never advertised as a space adventure - and if you come down to all the nitty grtty, it's essentially a classic Bond film with a special twist in Space.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It sure was a mistake, that a great character went that OTT but I can't argue it was right for the time.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,450
    Don't think it is mistake. It is not Roger Moore his best Bond movie, but it be less of problem because he get 2 (for me 3) other good movies before and 2 (for me 3) good movies after it. Mabey it have been Dalton his second movie insteed of LTK followd by LTK or it be Dalton his third movie. Or P&W wrote screenplay as Brosnan his 4th movie, because DAD is partly based on MR elements and there are a fan of Moonraker novel.

Ian Fleming wrote it as part of his franchise it be a bit strange if it have been his only Bond novel that never been made in the time there film all his LALD and later novels. (Besides that i don't believe that CR is better based on his novel then the others, with exeption of TSWLM.)Because of the problems around it, in that case there better can have choose for not filming Thunderball. But also with TB iam happy there made it. Every mistake or good thing help another. OHMSS, Twine and QOS have things what i like thanks to TB.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Um, yeah. It murdered what was up to that point a really good film.

If MR ended say in the launch pad with Bond and Holly disrupting and stopping the spaceships from launching, many of us would be debating about where in our respective Top 10 lists MR would be.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Kerim wrote:
    Um, yeah. It murdered what was up to that point a really good film.

If MR ended say in the launch pad with Bond and Holly disrupting and stopping the spaceships from launching, many of us would be debating about where in our respective Top 10 lists MR would be.

If MR had stopped there, it just would've been YOLT all over again. (Nothing against YOLT of course). I'm glad EON went for it or else we would not have the Flight into Space sequence, magnificently underscored by John Barry. And in the Star Wars/Superman/Star Trek era, it would've been a letdown for general audiences.

No It Should NEVER of happened!!!

I mean they had a truly great Fleming story and they replace it with (said like this :-B)"Shpace Las-hors" and "Shpace Marinchs" . Really, Really?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 011</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>The '60s remains the best decade for the cinematic James Bond.</b></font>
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Anyone who disagrees with this statement should be kicked off the board. Well not really, but their argument against this thesis would not hold up.

DN, FRWL, TB and OHMSS are all classics. Even the worst of the 60's, GF and YOLT would be second best in the 00's and arguably the best of the 70's and 90's. The 80's have four solid films, but compared to the 60's, they just don't measure up to the 60s classics.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'd have to disagree, simply because my #1 & #2 Bond films were made in the 1980's.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2012 Posts: 15,691
    Like Major, my top 2 films are not from the 60's, but contrary to him I still agree with the thesis - the 60's are an absolute flawless decade, full of classics - DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT and OHMSS are all close to perfection. IMO it still is, and will forever remain the 'classic' Bond decade, and the best years of the franchise for most Bond fans and for the general audience.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes, definitely. It remains the absolute pinnacle of the franchise. So many creative talents were on top of their games; Young, Hunt, Adam, Ted Moore, Freddie Young, Simmons, Adams, Barry etc
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Yes, without a doubt. I long for an entire decade to come someone near to where the 60's were quality wise. Maybe the 10's? The '80 were the nearest so far in my opinion but still not good enough.
    I believe this statement to be absolutely true. As others above me have stated, the decade is just packed full of classics. The only 'ugly duckling' is You Only Live Twice and, hell, even that one is in my top 10. Truth be told I do not think any other decade has even come close to matching the quality of 60s Bond films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Most definitely. In the 60s we had DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, and OHMSS. Take out YOL(IMO), and we have a perfect decade, and the best decade ever, for Bond. It's where it started, with Sean, the best of the best. The films are so classic and so wonderfully enjoyable to come back to. The decade has the best calibre and features some of the best films of the franchise. No question that the 60s is where it is at.
    I too agree with the thesis. The 60s were beautiful. Some of my favourite Bond films though, including the Daltons, GE and CR, came later, as is the case with films I deeply treasure like MR and FYEO. But the first five Connery's and OHMSS are just exquisite films I reckon. Only, well, I guess YOLT is not without its share of flaws. Perhaps. Sort of. ;-)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7> <b>The '60s remains the best decade for the cinematic James Bond.</b></font>

Truth. The 1960s were the golden era for Bond. They benefited from the best Bond actor and especially the fact that Bond was then new, innovative and fresh. They also benefit from existing in a time period near to when Ian Fleming actually lived and wrote the character.

DarthDimi wrote:
    Only, well, I guess YOLT is not without its share of flaws. Perhaps. Sort of. ;-)

Don't be afraid to say it. You are correct.
    Well yes if you think about it. We had the most Bonds in the '60s (6) and all of them are what we consider classics or iconic.
    DarthDimi wrote:

No, I disagree with this. The only good Bond movies that the '60s brought to us were From Russia with Love and Thunderball. I don't hate DN, GF, YOLT, and OHMSS, because I don't hate any Bond movies, but I don't think they are worthy enought to be considered top notch. The best era of 007 in my opinion has to be either the '80s or the '90s. FYEO and OP are to of Roger's best, and TLD and LTK are both amazing. Contrary to popular belief, I think AVTAK is under-rated and deserves some praise. As for the '90s, Brosnan is awesome and GE, TND, and TWINE are all magnificent.
  • Yes, because most of the material (Soviet-Western relations, nuclear war outlook, how people act at the time, etc.) was closer towards the 60's and 70's that makes it more true to James Bond, and unfortunately plot points like these cannot be replicated or transitioned to today.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, because most of the material (Soviet-Western relations, nuclear war outlook, how people act at the time, etc.) was closer towards the 60's and 70's that makes it more true to James Bond, and unfortunately plot points like these cannot be replicated or transitioned to today.

Indeed. The 60's Bond films(especially Connery's) had that built in espionage, Cold War feel that mirrored what was going on in reality at the time. FRWL is probably the best example of the 60s. A classic film that infused realistic espionage with a Cold War feel to match the times. I'd even wager FRWL is one of the more realistic Bond films that portrayed quite accurately the real trade craft of spies in the real MI6/other agencies.
  • Yeah, definitely the 60s, I'll argue against OHMSS' and YOLT's quality but I can't argue against FRWL, DN, TB and GF. Those 4 are the classic Bond films. The 00s might have the best film CR but there's nothing else to bolster it. Every decade had a mediocre film or two but the 60s certainly had the most quality films.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 012</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>Telly Savalas was the most iconic Blofeld.</b></font>
    Iconic is tough. I think thanks to Austin Powers and Dr. Evil, Donald's Blofeld is the most "iconic". But Savalas is my favorite and is my own personal "iconic" Blofeld