The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• I'm gonna have to go with Donald Pleasence. But my favorite Blofeld will always be Anthony Dawson as the faceless Blofeld from FRWL and TB. Pure menace.
    Donald Plecence is the most iconic, BUT Savalas is the best.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    No, I think Pleacence is the most iconic. Dr Evil, and the countless other Blofeld parodies are of YOLT's Blodelf, not OHMSS's. Savalas was overly theatrical and limp wristed to be any kind of menacing. Which is a shame, as if Savalas had played Blofeld like he played Leandro in Bava's Lisa And The Devil, he would have made a much better Blofeld.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,458
    011. Disagree. That's the Roger Moore era. This said i consider 70's and 80's be the best decade. Already starring with DAF the 70's have atleast 4 movies i think people like and the 80's three. In general the 60's, 70's, 90's and first half of the 80's be a good time for Bond include the 6 years after Yolt: 1967-1973. 1987-1995 and 2002-present i see as the moost dificult time. Daniel Craig his era deliever a lot of money, but it not realy have the same feeling as Brosnan era.

012. Charles Gray is my favorite Blofeld, but i agree Savalas be iconic Blofeld.
    011: If you were an adult or growing up in that time then yes i would imagine! I grew up with Roger Moore in the role so i have a fondness for his movies although some music choices made me rise an eyebrow or two! ;)

The 60's films certainly are classics but there are also plenty of others in other peoples opinions which should be respected. I personally have enjoyed all the actors in the role as they have all brought a different interpretation to the charactor.

012: Although i enjoyed Telly Savalas as Blofeld as he is much more active (Ski chase). For me i love Donald Pleasance Blofeld as he looks a little more psychotic!

>-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Who was it that said Donald Pleasance can make any line sound creepy, even one such as "i'm going to the fridge to get some bacon"?

I can't for the life of me think who it was. :-?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Sadly not of course that is Donald Pleasance, Telly's the best though in my mind.
  • Savalas was perhaps the most tangible of the Blofelds, if you can look past the fact it was Theo Kojak on screen, I half expected Blofeld to offer Lazenby a lollipop at some stage and ask Bond 'who loves you baby'. Other than that, Charles Gray was for me, a bit of a letdown most of the time, Pleasance is more remembered for his Halloween series than Bond I feel although he did have some plausible moments in his one appearance in 67's You Only Live Twice. Sincerely hope they don't reintroduce this character again, it has no place in 21st century Bond
    For me the most iconic is Blofeld in FRWL and TB (Dowson/Pohlmann). It's the ultimate villain, mysterious, dangerous, and intellectual. It also introduces the memorable cat. Whenever there is a faceless villain, I'm reminded of that Blofeld.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited January 2012 Posts: 3,262
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 012</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>Telly Savalas was the most iconic Blofeld.</b></font>

Disagree. Savalas may have been the best of the 3 onscreen Blofelds. He certainly posed the biggest physical threat to Bond. But as many have already pointed out, Mike Myers picked Donald Pleasance's Blofeld to spoof for a reason. His scarface Blofeld is the one that stands out in the minds of the general public as the Blofeld most viewers remember best:

blofeld_430505.jpg

Personally speaking, I think the best Blofeld is the FRWL/TB unseen one.

Telly Savalas is most definitely not the most iconic Blofeld, as that award goes to Donald Pleasance. There are too many parodies and representations of Pleasance's Blofeld that Savalas doesn't even get a mention in the public eye. We only see him sit in the chair with his cat once, and all the parodies feature Pleasance's Blofeld in a chair with his white cat, no matter how ridiculous these parodies are. Savalas was a good Blofeld, but not the most iconic. In fact, I'd say even Charles Gray's Blofeld gets more time in the spotlight than Savalas' Blofeld.
    I prefer Max von Sydow as Blofeld, he looks nice but the menace that oozes from him doesn ot come from any fysical aspect but from inside him. Much more believable to me than the baldies.

(NSNA did have some excellent actors that did a heck of a good job)
    One of OHMSS' taglines could have been "Blofeld demystified." Never liked that. And Savalas' accent certainly didn't help. So +1 for Donald Pleasance.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 1,497
    I strongly disagree with this thesis. I also strongly disagree that Donald Pleasance is.

Anthony Dawson is the most iconic. Blofeld was always a mystery: the grey suit, the cat stroking, that ominous voice. If anything the sinister voice is what makes Blofeld for me, not his bald head and eye scar. Austin Powers mocked Pleasance's version, because it was so laughable (and not in an intentionally funny way either). Pleasance lacked charisma, something that both Savalas and Grey had mind you.

The Dawson version of Blofeld is the definitive version.

I will concede though, that Savalas was the best of the 'in the flesh' Blofelds.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    JBFan626 wrote:
    The Dawson version of Blofeld is the definitive version.

To us, the fans, maybe but not to Joe Public.
  • Disagree Completely.

That would have to be the presence of a white cat. You see it, along with a pair hands stroking it? It's Blofeld, no doubt.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Virage wrote:
    Donald Plecence is the most iconic, BUT Savalas is the best.

What Virage said.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 013</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7> <b>The Craig era is ready for a return of Blofeld and / or SPECTRE.</b></font>
    For God sake, this topic. No way! And no other era should be either. They are much better ideas out there than having to bring back ideas from the past. You only have to look at Skyfall to see that.
    On the fence. I wouldn't mind to see Blofeld and co. back for the Craig era, BUT I wouldn't care if it didn't happen. (I Amit Quantum was a missed opportunity to bring them back)
    We have Quantum for the Craig era! If a criminal organisation is to be used again in DC's films? It SHOULD be Quantum!!!!!

We have no idea how widespread they are and most importantly? Who is the head of this organisation?
    Well, I'm middle ground on this one. I definitely think that the return of Blofeld and SPECTRE would be something very epic and amazing from a nostalgia standpoint, but let's think about this. For one, it isn't all that relavent, since SPECTRE was dissolved and many of its top members killed, not to mention countless henchmen and armed thugs. Since Quantum has been established already, I think it is best not to leave loose ends and return to Quantum for Skyfall. Then again, SPECTRE is a lot more interesting than Quantum from what we've seen in CR and QoS, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad of a thought.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    No. Blofeld had his time. No rebooting Blofeld! The kitty wielding baddy doesn't fit the new Craig Bond.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    00Beast wrote:
    Then again, SPECTRE is a lot more interesting than Quantum from what we've seen in CR and QoS, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad of a thought.

I don't think that's really fair. SPECTRE has had way much more screen time, and movies, than Quantum.
    I want more of Quantum. I think Mr. White could also return with it. I just hope he's not the head of it; I'd prefer him to be, to Quantum, what # 2 was to SPECTRE.

Eh...I'm leaning towards the 'no' end of this one. I think if you want a criminal organization for the Craig films (and perhaps other future films) to feature, I'd say stick with Quantum and make them more interesting.
    00Beast wrote:
    Then again, SPECTRE is a lot more interesting than Quantum from what we've seen in CR and QoS, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad of a thought.

I don't think that's really fair. SPECTRE has had way much more screen time, and movies, than Quantum.
    I want more of Quantum. I think Mr. White could also return with it. I just hope he's not the head of it; I'd prefer him to be, to Quantum, what # 2 was to SPECTRE.

I suppose so, but what I'm trying to say is that the people behind them and the plots they plan aren't as good as what SPECTRE brought to the table. Mr. White and Le Chiffre are great characters, but they're pretty much it. Compare them to SPECTRE operatives like Dr. No, Rosa Klebb, Kronsteen, Emilio Largo, and others. SPECTRE's people trump Quantum's, and as for the plans, QoS had possibly the worst and most confusing plan ever, which turned out to be anti-climatic.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Blofeld and SPECTRE belong in their own times. Let Craig be associated with Quantum.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Kerim wrote:
    Blofeld and SPECTRE belong in their own times. Let Craig be associated with Quantum.

And maybe Elipsis, if they return sometime.

(I said MAYBE.)
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

(I said MAYBE.)

Elipsis was just a code in the film. Not an organization. Right? Or did I miss something. Its not even mentioned in QoS.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Kerim wrote:

(I said MAYBE.)

Elipsis was just a code in the film. Not an organization. Right? Or did I miss something. Its not even mentioned in QoS.

You are correct. CR is my best known Bond film.