Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'll watch it on bluray.
    I'll watch it on bluray.
    Me, too. Maybe get it from Redbox.

• edited July 2016 Posts: 5,767
    doubleoego wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    So, I've just had lunch with a mate who has seen 'Jason Bourne' and as a bona fide fan of the franchise called it the worst of the bunch (excluding Legacy). He said it lacked the suspense, intrigue and pacing you'd associate with the previous trilogy, instead opting for elaborate set-pieces. In a nutshell the 'thrill' has ebbed out of it for him. He also claimed that the verite style has become very intrusive.

That's disappointing to hear. I honestly thought this film was going to be a huge hit creatively but it seems quite divisive amongst audiences that have seen it.

I'm seeing this tonight and at the least hope I can enjoy it. If I can stomach this more than I can SP then I won't be entirely disappointed.
    I don´t find it disappointing at all. It´s not as if they re-invented the wheel with 2 and 3. They found a certain style, and there´s nothing wrong with milking that, as long as it´s solid. They did that already with Ultimatum, still both Supremacy and Ultimatum are fun to watch. I take solid unoriginal any day over an attempt at being original.

I must impress that it is completely watchable, they didn't embarrass themselves. It's just going through
    They just didn't do anything to merit a comeback after all these years. They didn't do anything new. They didn't do anything to justify diluting the extremely powerful ending of Ultimatum.

As way of a bad comparison, it's like Only Fools and Horses! They had the perfect ending. It should have been left alone but they brought it back with a substandard entry. Nothing to be ashamed of, but it should have been left alone.
    (this turned out kinda long)
    Ok....don't hate me now but I don't like Bourne. I watched it many years ago and I didn't get the hype...I watched QoS and while the things they borrowed from Bourne seemed interetesting on paper they didn't deliver in reality and gave us not that good of a movie...

Now as the new movie is released I rewatched the original 3 movies......and I still don't get it.

Identity - It would've been better if they followed Bourne for entire movie keeping the audience guessing.

Supremacy - More action than the first one but again...nothing that will grip me all the way...

Ultimatum - probably the best of the 3 cause of the first 30 mins. Seriously amazing spyish stuff with great thrills....then the movie goes full Bourne with shaky cam, random over the top car chase and Bourne surviving things that would kill anyone else.

And I saw Jason Bourne today and.....same. I guess less shaky cam was noticeable this time but overall...what you get in previous movies is what you get here. With the difference that this time the story is weaker and it is noticeable that there's no need for a sequel.

I haven't seen Legacy yet and I might like it, who knows..

I liked the fist fight of the newest movie but.....it's too edited! If it was straight shot or if they used less than 30 cuts it would've been amazing.

The way they're going with the movies they may never end.

Next movie: Bourne doesn't remember his childhood. Suddenly he remembers his parents told him the dog went to better place with some good people.....what if they lied to him and the dog died when he was a kid? He has to find out! And the CIA has some super secret thing that they want to hide from Bourne....so naturally they assume he's after him and attack him while Bourne tries to uncover the truth about his doggo.

I'll say that I've seen the 1988 (or so) made for TV 2 part movie and I liked it a lot. I think (correct me if im wrong) but it was more focused on Bourne rather than it being 50-50 with Bourne/CIA.

So...if you've liked the previous Bourne movies you might enjoy seeing Bourne again on the big screen even tho it's obvious the story is there just to get Bourne back in some shenanigans and that if they continue like this they'll have 20 movies with some plot like the one I mentioned before.

SAW is a series that I love. They made 4-5 too many sequels....but it had a reasoning behind the sequels that you end up loving the revelation at the end of the next movie so you end up liking the sequels..(or at least I did even tho they're not needed after SAW 3)

With the latest Bourne movie the stakes are not upped and that annoys me. The stakes are....same if not lower than before. I mean they tried to make it higher.....but for Bourne it's not that compelling...he doesn't fight for his life cause someone's chasing him but he fights cause...eh he found himself in random situation.

Bond and Mission Impossible are better than Bourne IMHO.

But if you like Bourne than I have no problem with you as you also like some badass spy/action movies :D

Another thing....the Bourne movies doesn't seem to end on a high note...like...the movie ends.........and you don't feel like it ended....you always expect someone else to come for Bourne and it goes on and on.

If this movie does well on the boxoffice they'll probably go for more Bourne movies and I'll surely see them as well in hopes I'll like it as you guys do :)

P.S. The ending of the Bourne movies is amazing with that Moby music. I'll admit that. Also the last minute of the newest Bourne movie is the best ending in the series so far for me personally.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    3 Honest Trailers in one. :))
    Firstly, I loved the first Bourne movie, the sequels less so due to the camera strapped to the back of a donkey's arse. Sadly, Jason Bourne The Return is just reheated slop served up much like the Force Awakens as a new adventure but really just a poor imitation of the previous outings. Whilst watching the new JB movie it struck me how these movies are just one long chase sequence one after the other. The difference here is that everything is done walking rather than running. There's so much walking In JB I felt exhausted afterwards. There's not a lot more to Bourne than a cat n mouse chase. I felt the fights this time were poorly executed, over in a flash and a camera wobble. I read somewhere that it's a different fight coordinator to the previous movies, that explains the lacklustre action. Best bit of action was Las Vegas imho. Everything here is on repeat, the same shadowy boss, the same female subordinate who wants to help Bourne but can she really be trusted (?), it even has the same bloody ending. If you've seen the previous ones then there are no spoilers as it's a complete retread but with a father and son connection replacing Treadstone. It feels so convoluted I almost laughed out loud at its absurdity. Nonetheless, JB is not as terrible as The Force Awakens, and can still be enjoyed even though it's a case (or chase) of been there, seen it all before and got the T-shirt to prove it. Just don't expect a great JB story. I personally think Lagacy had more of a modicum of originality than this outing. Verdict: below par but still worth going to see if you like Bourne.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    @Murdock I loved those trailers :)) I was just saying last night
    "How many times, can they keep remaking the same film "
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    5 unbelievably long hrs before I watch the return of Jason Bourne. I have to tell you, even though I'm resigned to it being predictable, I'm more excited than for anything else this year (except perhaps Inferno)!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be seeing this and 'Star Trek Beyond' tomorrow, so I'll post my thoughts once I get the chance.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    5 unbelievably long hrs before I watch the return of Jason Bourne. I have to tell you, even though I'm resigned to it being predictable, I'm more excited than for anything else this year (except perhaps Inferno)!

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

I was supposed to see this yesterday but another opportunity came up which I couldn't pass on.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I should be seeing this tomorrow.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883

I was supposed to see this yesterday but another opportunity came up which I couldn't pass on.
    I just posted a mini-review in the Last Movie You Watched thread. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure others will if (and only if) they are already invested in the character.

The reviews are correct that it doesn't move the needle much though, and it's probably not quite up to the level of the first three, which is a bit disappointing given how far the genre has moved forward in the past few years (particularly with Cruise and Co.). The car chase is incredible (it's like Ultimatum on steroids) but the hand to hand combat was probably done better in the third one.

It almost seems like a film re-establishing the state of play for us after nine long years, and I suspect there are more adventures to come. From that perspective, it's great, and I look forward to seeing the man up on the screen again soon.

I just posted a mini-review in the Last Movie You Watched thread. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure others will if they are already invested in the character.

The reviews are correct that it doesn't move the needle much though, and it's probably not quite up to the level of the first three, which is a bit disappointing given how far the genre has moved forward in the past few years (particularly with Cruise and Co.).

It almost seems like a film re-establishing the state of play for us after nine long years, and I suspect there are more adventures to come. From that perspective, it's great, and I look forward to seeing the man up on the screen again soon.

This is reassuring to hear. If you enjoyed it then I most likely will too. I'm not really interested in Bourne doing anything exceptional so to speak. If it's essentially in line with the previous Damon outings then I'm happy.

How would you compare it to SP?

I just posted a mini-review in the Last Movie You Watched thread. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure others will if they are already invested in the character.

The reviews are correct that it doesn't move the needle much though, and it's probably not quite up to the level of the first three, which is a bit disappointing given how far the genre has moved forward in the past few years (particularly with Cruise and Co.).

This is reassuring to hear. If you enjoyed it then I most likely will too. I'm not really interested in Bourne doing anything exceptional so to speak. If it's essentially in line with the previous Damon outings then I'm happy.

How would you compare it to SP?
    This is a tough one to answer. I was quite disappointed with SP on first watch (and still am - I'd go so far as to say it was one of the more disappointing experiences I've had in a theatre) so you should take my answer with a grain of salt.

Let's put it this way: Jason Bourne as a film doesn't make me lose interest in the character or in Damon as an actor playing him. I want to see him back on the screen again as Bourne, and sooner rather than later. However, as with SP, I believe the film could have been a lot better. This one is more like TFA or JW in that it's very familiar and looks to be a way to get us back into that world after the long break, setting us up nicely for the future where I hope to see more creativity.
    Ok thanks. I'll be sure to catch this over the weekend. If JB is more enjoyable and entertaining than SP I'm happy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm hoping they just retire Bourne after this. How many movies are we going to get where he's running from some bigger agency with a grudge? It's just so played out.

And Bourne is a man on the run kind of character, always has been. The only credible stories you can do are those where he is running from a threat, or hiding away, before being flushed out again. He doesn't work many other ways, and other approaches beyond that could only make it all appear more artificial from a character standpoint, as he doesn't ever seek out danger, he does what he does when he has to, but would much rather slip away unseen.

Bourne doesn't work as a reinvigorated hitman, private security guy or any other different approach on him the studio may want to try in the future to justify making another film about him. At the most he's destined to be another character in the vein of Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces," who drifts his way through life, solves problems in the areas he travels to, then continues on drifting to the next unforeseen adventure. He travels aimlessly around the globe, moving when he needs to, then when problems stir up around him that he doesn't like, he uses his considerable skills to weed out the problems, eradicate them, and then cuts ties, moves on, and later does it all over again in a new location.

That's the only kind of approach I really see working effectively and logically in the confines of Bourne's story, and Mad Max has been doing that kind of tale so much better than anything else for decades (and now again with Fury Road), and Jack Reacher is a series that is in the same vein as those drifter narratives, with a new one coming out soon. It's hard to know what place in film the next Bourne will frequent in regards to its story and with so much competition, or if there's even a need to do anything more with a character who has largely been exhausted creatively.

At the most they could do that Cross and Bourne team-up that was rumored or suggested, and I for one would find it more interesting than any of the other options I see for the character going forward.
    I'm hoping they just retire Bourne after this. How many movies are we going to get where he's running from some bigger agency with a grudge? It's just so played out.

That's how I felt before seeing the film but of course this time round he isn't running.

I loved it and I personally found it more suspenseful than any of the previous, even Supremacy which I felt moved like a bullet. Stylistically It feels like a legtimate Bourne film but the CIA characters and their power games have much more depth and motivation to them this time round.

The film takes you teasingly close to suggesting Bourne may become a legitimate agent and therefore the franchise will continue but alas....

I'd say they pulled it off successfully in getting you caught up in a drama around the character when you thought the story had been told. Whether they could repeat it for a 5th or even 6th Webb Bourne film I'm not sure.

See it at the cinema too. The Vegas car chase is too majestic to see on the small screen.
    The thing about Jason Bourne that I am most relieved about is it's not a sell out and does not jump the shark. It's a legitimate Bourne film, just not quite up to the level of its illustrious predecessors - which is fine with me because they were real benchmarks (particularly the first two).

I for one really would like to see more and can't wait to catch this one in the theatre again in the next few wks.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm glad most here seem to have enjoyed it. The reviews seem to dwell on the film not being a reinvention and basically offering up more of the same - which is fine by me. The first three films are fantastic. The only thing I am wary of is my own personal bias as I loved the way the last few scenes of Ultimatum bookended the trilogy. Bourne swimming away in the East River felt like the perfect ending considering where we first found him.
    I thought it was good. It did feel a bit derivative for sure, but the original 3 are quite alike really. I have to say
    the start in Athens with Nicky getting killed reminded me of Marie getting killed at the start of Supremacy and the bit where they tailed the guy in London reminded me f Bourne snatching Nicky in Berlin

But I think there's cope for them to make this into a second trilogy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    I thought it was good. It did feel a bit derivative for sure, but the original 3 are quite alike really. I have to say
    the start in Athens with Nicky getting killed reminded me of Marie getting killed at the start of Supremacy and the bit where they tailed the guy in London reminded me f Bourne snatching Nicky in Berlin

But I think there's cope for them to make this into a second trilogy.
    Sh*t, I really shouldn't have read that spoiler
    Jason Bourne is estimated to take $61M this weekend stateside. That's a strong opening given the long break, but less than Ultimatum. It will probably make back its entire production budget (roughly $120M) globally by Monday.

I think it will probably come in between $180M and $190M total US gross when it's all said and done. Anything higher is excellent but unlikely. That will put it on par with Rogue Nation/SP which were both in the high 190's/200M break range.

Here's an article with some interesting info on box office and budgets:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/07/25/box-office-matt-damons-jason-bourne-has-one-big-advantage-over-its-blockbuster-competition/#7c87e81b2747
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    There's nothing wrong with sticking to a formula, Bond has done many times, the biggest thing was seeing where Bourne went from swimming away at the end of the last one with Matt Damon. I'm looking forward to seeing this film, Bourne happened just as I was asking questions of the Bond franchises direction.
    If this movie makes 400m dollars worldwide when it's all said and done it may be enough for a sequel if they think the next movie will make just as much money.

I also heard they plan on maybe starting a movie universe with The Rock as another agent, and maybe another movie as a sequel to Bourne Legacy which may result in a Renner/Damon movie
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    dragonsky wrote: »
    If this movie makes 400m dollars worldwide when it's all said and done it may be enough for a sequel if they think the next movie will make just as much money.

I also heard they plan on maybe starting a movie universe with The Rock as another agent, and maybe another movie as a sequel to Bourne Legacy which may result in a Renner/Damon movie

Are you sure you haven't confused that announcement with the one about his Fast and Furious character Hobbs getting a spin-off series? Otherwise, that's taking things too far.
    dragonsky wrote: »

Are you sure you haven't confused that announcement with the one about his Fast and Furious character Hobbs getting a spin-off series? Otherwise, that's taking things too far.

Nope :D

And kinda yes.

http://www.slashfilm.com/robert-ludlum-cinematic-universe-janson-directive/

Apparently Universal wants to make a Robert Ludlum universe NOT mixed with the Bourne movies.

I mean...it may be interesting, who knows, I'm for a action movie universe it has a potential but this may all fall apart before it gets going so who knows.

Also I still remember reading somewhere about them having an idea for a Renner/Bourne movie but for now it's just an idea.
    edited July 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I've just seen it. Without boring you with a long review, I'll say this: I absolutely loved it. This film was everything I wanted it to be, and I went in with fairly high expectations. I'll be seeing it again soon and most likely will be buying it when it comes out on Blu-ray. It is however interesting to note that the most recent entries in three blockbuster franchises (Bourne, Bond, and Star Wars) have all been criticized for being derivative of their predecessors. It didn’t bother me in the slightest with this one. I wanted that familiarity aspect. And that finale was unreal.
    For me, "JASON BOURNE" was meh. I would personally rank it fifth of the five movies in the franchise. Right below "THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM", which is now fourth on my list. It was just too unoriginal for me.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    It does seem to be getting some bad reviews, I'm not sure what people would expect from a Bourne film?
    I enjoyed legacy and would love to see a sequel of that.