Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    royale65 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    And so with From Russia With Love viewed the rankings have changed.
    There have been times when I have felt maybe I over praise From Russia With Love, but then I sit down and watch it. And I remember why it is one of the best (if not the best) Bond film. It hardly puts a foot wrong. Such a wonderful spy thriller.

Ranking thus far...

1. From Russia With Love
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. Thunderball
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. GoldenEye
    6. Licence To Kill
    7. You Only Live Twice
    8. Skyfall
    9. Diamonds Are Forever
    10. The Man With The Golden Gun
    11. Moonraker
    12. Die Another Day
    13. Tomorrow Never Dies
    14. A View To A Kill
    15. Quantum Of Solace

I often wondering if I over praise FRWL too much, but then I sit down watch the film, and no. An unadulterated joy for me from start to finish. FRWL, GF, OHMSS and CR transcend the medium - i.e. more than just a mere Bond films - and are real art forms.

You are a man of taste. Agreed.
    How do you guys go about choosing the order you do a marathon in? I want to do something other starting from beginning
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Try going by the actors age. Start with OHMSS and end with AVTAK.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Or @Thunderfinger's favorite films in order of release. Start with GE and end with DAD. Real quick, takes you a day.
    Dr. No kicks things off Wednesday for me... maybe OHMSS on the same day...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Last night I watched TSWLM and Spectre. Great fun, both had cool cars,and
    a train fight. :D
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 12,266
    Started today with Dr. No. I've always loved this one, and I have no doubt it'll remain high in my ranking. Proof that sometimes less can be more.

2016 Bondathon Ranking:
    1. Dr. No
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Has anyone done a straight Bondathon? All 24 movies, stopping only to sleep? I've always wanted to give it a shot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Has anyone done a straight Bondathon? All 24 movies, stopping only to sleep? I've always wanted to give it a shot.

Actually, I think a year or so back, someone did a full, no-sleep marathon, and catalogued it via mini reviews over YouTube, which was great because they were so chipper once DN started, and when they hit SF, they looked like a talking corpse.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I saw that, it was pretty funny. There was a point in late 2009, where I lived by myself and had no job. I should have done it then.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've always wanted do to that. A friend and I watched CR, QoS and SF before going to see SP, and that was knackering! God knows how we would've been after 24 movies.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    CR - see how it fares with it all in b+w
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Great choice. I was about to say the same, since it starts off that way.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    Great choice. I was about to say the same, since it starts off that way.

Not only that but the poker scenes are very traditional edited. The B+W mixed with the cross dissolves would really feel like an old 50's film.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 8,086
    Just to let you guys know, I'll be starting my first ever true Bondathon soon. Usually I just watch whichever film I feel like, this time I'm going to pick a number out, and watch the entry that it corresponds to. I'll post my thoughts after each viewing. I can't commit to any kind of schedule, but I am sure going to enjoy it nontheless. I really hope I can make it through the whole cannon without any extended breaks.

I can confirm that the first film will be...

#7 Diamonds Are Forever
    A great choice. Enjoy!
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Putting in OCTOPUSSY, the 11th in my tour through the Bond films in B&W (random order) For those who my wish to attempt this:

Turn color all the way down (obviously)
    Boost both Contrast and Brightness to 60%
    Set the picture to Dynamic
    Turn down the Auto Motion (the "soap opera effect") down to 50 or 60%.

I found those to be the settings that most closely match actual Black and White celluloid (it does get dull during shots that are drenched in darker values of strong hues)", but it's just an experiment).
    The results have been mixed. On some I hardly notice after a few minutes, others look really great (NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN, GOLDENEYE and FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, particularly). In a few it has been a detriment.

@Birdleson Contrast and brightness setting will be dependant on the light ambience in the room you are watching. I have calibrated my picture for two settings - night and day - for this very reason. If you want the authentic black and white old school celluloid look, you need the colour temperature at D55 rather than the usual D65 because people generally agree that projectors from the 1920s-1940s produced images that were pretty similar to black & white movies released in D65 (on disc) but displayed with projector or panel calibrated to D55. On the other hand, if you see a B&W movie in a theater today, it is likely to look like a D65 source (disc) played on a D65 display (roughly). So the D55 thing for B&W is a nostalgia thing that you can't quite duplicate anywhere today unless you are viewing a B&W print on a vintage projector that is still using a vintage-type light source.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Birdleson, agreed. One of my favorite non-Bond fights of the series, and I would've loved seeing him in one more film.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Birdleson, agreed. One of my favorite non-Bond fights of the series, and I would've loved seeing him in one more film.

@Creasy47 Even including fights involving Bond it's among the best
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I have written all the bond EON titles on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. Pulling one a week out. So far I pulled out Dr No (crazy that it was the first of 24 to be pulled!), Octopussy, Thunderball and then quantum of solace. Have enjoyed Octopussy which I hadn't seen in ages and QoS was good too. It made me realise that on a regular basis I watch the Connery and Craig's the most. I hammered the Connery and Dalton 007 films when I was younger so looking forward to getting reacquainted with many of the Moores and Brosnans.
    MR
    Sorry guys, a slight change of format. Instead of posting my thoughts here, I've decided to write complete, thorough reviews for each film. This could take me weeks, months, years, I don't know how long. I'm a fool for even trying it. The reviews will go up when they're done, basically. I'll post them in the review thread for each film individually. I'll still be starting with Diamonds are forever.
    I have a feeling that the B&W treatment will be the least complimentary to MOONRAKER of all of the series.
    What makes you feel this way? It's a very beautiful film visually, and space will look good in b&w. Venice looks good in any colour.
    I'm thinking of the scenes in space.
    The contrast of the black of space and the white of the space station could stand out perhaps? All the yellow uniforms won't though, and there may be some confusion about who's the good guys and who's bad during the final shootout.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 14,874
    Been a busy week so only had time to watch two Bond films this week...Live And Let Die and The World Is Not Enough. First up, TWINE. I used to quite enjoy this film, but then I was a little younger. And I often like the latest film in the series, only to review it and review it. Only to discover that maybe it's not quite as good as I thought. TWINE has fallen into the same category. However now, all the flaws are very evident. Put simply, TWINE is a mess. It wants to be grown up and serious. But throws in an overly long PTS with a overly long boat chase, involving boats doing things they cannot do. It also cast Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist. I mean, come on. Renard is an interesting concept for a villain, that is never really explored properly. The only semi decent villain is Elektra, but I don't really rate he very highly at all. Especially her line, "Don't you see, no-one can resist me." Yeah. Alright love. That's how you'll succeed in a plan that kind of makes you a suspect considering your recent history. The action is forced and to be honest dull. The ski chase being probably the worst in the series. Lucky too that Bond had that magic jacket on. As I watched it I got more and more irritated at how poor the story was, and how despite having good production values, this is a low for the series. And so to the other film I watched, Live And Let Die.
    Now this is a film that I've always placed in the middle of the pack. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I did enjoy it immensely with this viewing though. One of the most entertaining and fast paced Bond films I can think of. It really moves from start to finish. A fantastic debut from Sir Rog, who looks settled in the role from the start imo.
    Good set of villains, brilliant minor characters and oh look, Jane Seymour as Solitaire. Very enjoyable Bond entry.

Rankings thus far...
    1. From Russia With Love
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. Thunderball
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. GoldenEye
    6. Live And Let Die
    7. Licence To Kill
    8. You Only Live Twice
    9. Skyfall
    10. Diamonds Are Forever
    11. The Man With The Golden Gun
    12. Moonraker
    13. Die Another Day
    14. Tomorrow Never Dies
    15. A View To A Kill
    16. Quantum Of Solace
    17. The World Is Not Enough

Next up...Goldfinger

• edited June 2016 Posts: 4,622
    Current Bondathon is on hold but before the pause I was at
    1. DAF
    2. TB
    3. GF

Great triple Connery start with TLD up next.
    This is a random draw Bondathon, drawing cards from a deck with knowledge of only one film ahead.
    I got sidetracked by a sudden urge to do a 10 film Uncleathon, which has one film to go, then another blu-ray view of SP, and then pick-up Bondathon with TLD.
    I'll probably work in a couple more SP views before 23 film random-draw Bondathon is done, as I am still working on initial clump of 10+ SP viewings (7 in cinema but only 1at home so far)
    Will conclude Eon Bondathon with NSNA viewing.
    No what's that? Should I? Probably yes right.
    Be happy to. Where is it?
    Disregard , I found it. Yes I will update accordingly
    Double

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Benny wrote: »
    Live And Let Die. Now this is a film that I've always placed in the middle of the pack. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I did enjoy it immensely with this viewing though. One of the most entertaining and fast paced Bond films I can think of. It really moves from start to finish. A fantastic debut from Sir Rog, who looks settled in the role from the start imo.
    Good set of villains, brilliant minor characters and oh look, Jane Seymour as Solitaire. Very enjoyable Bond entry.

I was happy to read this. Great review!