"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Shocking from the section of West Ham "supporters" last night. Something not seen in many a year and something that football should not see at all. What should have been a celebration of their time at Upton Park (I refuse to call it The Boleyn) turned into a shameful display.

I wonder how they'll feel if their first game at this Olympic Stadium turns out to be behind closed doors??[
    Christ knows I despise Utd so it takes a lot to get me rooting for them but I really wanted them to spoil the party and nick the points last night.

Completely agree, I'm a Liverpool supporter and found myself wanting Man U to win that game last night to shove it in the face of the "supporters" who carried out the attack on the bus.

• RC7RC7
    Kudos, you ruddy scousers.

Agree on West Ham, naturally. A bang average club who seem to have some sort of elevated status solely because they're London-based. When was the last time they won a trophy must've been nearly 40 years ago.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,727
    'Skyperbole'. You should patent that.

Never enjoyed going to West Ham away (as a Spurs supporter) - not because they were any good against us, but because it was an unpleasant away experience.

Say what you like about the Arse'nal - though I despise them on a rivalry level they at least know how to accommodate visiting fans and don't make it a fearful experience.
    They are a class club with good manners & facilities because the football comes first and this big boy, anally-retentive, testosterone-fueled nonsense in the vein of what we saw last night in East London doesn't tend to happen at The Emirates.
    Still be a glorious day to finish above 'em on Sunday though B-)
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,575
    Just keep calm and pass it to sturridge.
    On another note - thoughts with those affected by the Valley Parade disaster, 31 years ago today.
    Doesn't practically every football club in the world have a fraction of hooligans in their fan base? I fail to see why West Ham is worse than most other English teams in that regard, let alone Liverpool and Man Utd...
    jobo wrote: »
    Doesn't practically every football club in the world have a fraction of hooligans in their fan base? I fail to see why West Ham is worse than most other English teams in that regard, let alone Liverpool and Man Utd...

They, along with Millwall, have quite a reputation. Millwall once played away at Hull City in the FA Cup and some of their fans thought it would be a great idea to rip the seats out.
  • RC7RC7
    Feel sorry for Norwich. No one wants to go down after a 4-2 win. Everton, though? That's got to be it for Martinez. They are truly awful.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Too bad Chelsea couldn't hold on for a win against Liverpool.
    Especially after this brilliant goal from Hazard.

Made the Liverpool defence look stupid.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Nice to see Sam with a smile on his face.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote: »
    Too bad Chelsea couldn't hold on for a win against Liverpool.
    Especially after this brilliant goal from Hazard.

Made the Liverpool defence look stupid.

Although not quite as stupid as Begovic looked dropping the ball on Benteke's head in the last minute.

But I'm happy for you that you're so content with Hazard making sure of his seat on the plane in the last few games after what is tantamount to defrauding Chelsea out of the money he got paid all season. Personally if he played for my club I'd want him sold but as long as he can turn it on in meaningless games that have less atmosphere than a testimonial then I guess Chelsea fans are happy.

Fair play to Sunderland. Their board made the right decisions in getting Big Sam and Defoe in. Both were likely to be decisive and so it proved.

Feel sorry for Norwich who did their best and also the Newcastle fans who don't deserve a club that is so shoddily run. Rafa would've saved them if they had appointed him 5 games earlier but their board is a disgrace and Mike Ashley deserves to miss out on the new TV money bonanza.
  • RC7RC7
    Fair play to Sunderland. Their board made the right decisions in getting Big Sam and Defoe in. Both were likely to be decisive and so it proved.

Indeed. Defoe has been fantastic. I'd have taken him at United and he'd be on the plane to France for me. Does his thing and does it very well.
    I get the feeling that with no European football for Chelsea next season, Hazard has started turning up for games to ensure he gets a move to a club in the Champions League. Call me cynical but his form this season hasn't been great at all and to turn up now?

As for my own team, Liverpool, we did well to get the draw last night. Quite clear that next Wednesday was on the minds of players and the performance showed. A lucky draw? Possibly and all thanks to Begovic who doesn't look the 'keeper he seemed to be at his last club.

Good effort Sunderland on staying up. Big Sam, I was reading, never been relegated as a manager. You wouldn't want anyone else to keep you up. Shame for Norwich after a great result last night. Mixed feelings about Newcastle. They have great fans etc and, as a LFC supporter, I have big admiration for Rafa, so sorry to see them relegated. However, as for Mike Ashley - couldn't have happened to a better owner could it? That club need him gone in my opinion
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I get the feeling that with no European football for Chelsea next season, Hazard has started turning up for games to ensure he gets a move to a club in the Champions League. Call me cynical but his form this season hasn't been great at all and to turn up now?

As for my own team, Liverpool, we did well to get the draw last night. Quite clear that next Wednesday was on the minds of players and the performance showed. A lucky draw? Possibly and all thanks to Begovic who doesn't look the 'keeper he seemed to be at his last club.

Good effort Sunderland on staying up. Big Sam, I was reading, never been relegated as a manager. You wouldn't want anyone else to keep you up. Shame for Norwich after a great result last night. Mixed feelings about Newcastle. They have great fans etc and, as a LFC supporter, I have big admiration for Rafa, so sorry to see them relegated. However, as for Mike Ashley - couldn't have happened to a better owner could it? That club need him gone in my opinion

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Hazard try and make a move elsewhere. And I was only saying to someone earlier that Begovic isn't quite as sharp as he was at Stoke. Possibly because he's now the #2 keeper.
    Sorry to see Newcastle go, but happy for Sunderland. Well deserved.

Chelsea fans are happy.

Yes we are. Not sure what team you support Wiz, but you too could be happy if you only go with the Blues.

;)
    Chelsea's Eden Hazard has to be one of the most shameless, least noble footballers currently around.

He is typical of the gifted boy who had it all too easy and will never become as consistent or as good as players with half his talent who had to fight for their place at the top of the game.
    So he suddenly decided to make an effort so that Marc Wilmots, Belgian national coach, would not overlook him for the Euros next month.

The Belgian squad is - way behold - to be announced today... coincidence? I think not.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Chelsea fans are happy.

Yes we are. Not sure what team you support Wiz, but you too could be happy if you only go with the Blues.

;)

Well there's no answer to that is there?

'First is first, second is nowhere' - Shankly

And that's why there are only two genuinely big clubs in this country - Liverpool and Utd. Because unless we are winning titles we aren't happy. The rest are happy just to dine at the Champions League table without any aspirations to actually win it and some, as in this instance, are apparently happy with the most abject title defence in history.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Chelsea's Eden Hazard has to be one of the most shameless, least noble footballers currently around.

He is typical of the gifted boy who had it all too easy and will never become as consistent or as good as players with half his talent who had to fight for their place at the top of the game.
    So he suddenly decided to make an effort so that Marc Wilmots, Belgian national coach, would not overlook him for the Euros next month.

The Belgian squad is - way behold - to be announced today... coincidence? I think not.

Quite.

Sooner he goes to PSG the better because I think, following Leicester, the worm has turned in this country for people like him who think they deserve adulation for occasionally bothering to turn up. A team of journeymen all giving 100% is worth so much more than people like Hazard and Cesc phoning it in and the beauty for owners is they are a lot cheaper too.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Chelsea fans are happy.

;)

And that's why there are only two genuinely big clubs in this country - Liverpool and Utd. Because unless we are winning titles we aren't happy. The rest are happy just to dine at the Champions League table without any aspirations to actually win it and some, as in this instance, are apparently happy with the most abject title defence in history.

What Shankly says is fine as far as the actual clubs go, but of course in a desperate bid to be associated with success the fan base of these two clubs is spread far and wide.
    And we know what football fans think about that!

So, when you say 'unless we are winning titles we aren't happy' do you mean the fans? Because I'm damn sure Arsenal fans aren't happy to finish 4th all the time. Champions League maybe, but ultimately it isn't what they want.

And how do we measure how big a club is? Financially? Historically? Fan base?
    In the Premier league era there is really only one big club in England.
    Chelsea fans are happy.

;)

Lol. Being a Liverpool fan has to be most depressive thing in the world then :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Belgian squad for the Euros (one name still to be dropped):

CiP5IJzVAAAkwll.jpg:large
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    A bit of a golden age for Belgium. I don't recall them having as strong a squad as they have these days.
    Hopefully Newcastle will act fast and if Rafa leaves as expected we should try for Nigel Pearson. Still feel annoyed but in a strange way almost relieved.
    Not surprising by Everton have sacked Martinez.
    NicNac wrote: »
    A bit of a golden age for Belgium. I don't recall them having as strong a squad as they have these days.

It is and we haven't but we do have a terrible manager.

Furthermore, Kompany will be sorely missed and our right and left back positions have been a problem for years. We play too static against defensive teams.

GoldenGun wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

It is and we haven't but we do have a terrible manager.

Furthermore, Kompany will be sorely missed and our right and left back positions have been a problem for years. We play too static against defensive teams.

Marc Wilmots (Belgian coach) would not recognize 'tactical flexibility' if it hit him straight between the eyes. He persists in playing his current 2 best central defenders (Vertonghen & Alderweireld) as full-backs, hence Belgium lack width and dynamism on the flanks... which is bl**dy stupid when you have big strikers like Lukaku & Benteke up front
    ~X(
    edited May 2016 Posts: 6,791
    @AceHole. Exactly, he hasn't learned from his mistakes either. At the World Cup Belgium's games were real borefests. In the first few games we got lucky but against better opponents (i.e. Argentina) we stand no chance.

I'm afraid Wilmots is wasting the best generation we will ever have. Reminds me a bit of the Czechs between 96 and 06, golden generation but in the end (with only one final and a semi) wasted potential.
    Derby 0-3 Hull City - Up the Tigers, Premier League here we come!
    Six of the last eight, eight of the last twelve. In the best league in the world. That's dominance for you! :)
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    Six of the last eight, eight of the last twelve. In the best league in the world. That's dominance for you! :)

Not the best league in the world but impressive regardless. United under Fergie level stats.
    Of the last fifty encounters between Spanish and English teams in Europe, the Spanish side has advanced 47 times! The Champions League will be won by a Spanish team for a third time in a row, and only one non Spanish team has reached the final during that period (it was not English). The Europa League might be won by a Spanish team for the third straight time as well!! I find it very fascinating, not to say amusing, that you even bother to debate this. The reality is that we haven't seen such a dominance in European club football for ages! The top Spanish sides are best in the world. The second best Spanish sides dominate Europe as well. You can cling to your last straw, the dream that the worst English teams are better than the worst Spanish ones. However that assumption is highly debatable, is based on absolutely nothing, and can never be proven. And besides, who cares? ;)) Why should this debate be decided by who has "the best bad teams". Talk about desperation! :)

With all respect to Fergie and the United team of old, they never faced national competition of such caliber.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Final day of the English Prem season and the game at Old Trafford (Man U vs Bournemouth) has been abandoned due to safety fears after a suspect package was found. Fans were evacuated at first with a delay of 45 minutes, sniffer dogs taken around but, ultimately, abandoned.

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/35946670?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central