The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

Both sides need younger blood. The problem on the Republican side is that the young blood are Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    I have a politician in my family who is a moderate, and influences my views, so I tend to be not very partisan. But I must say of all the candidates, Cruz is the one I most detest. He's very smart and a total bastard. If half the stories my brother-in-law tell me are true, he is really dangerous. Trump is right about him, all of his own party members in Congress hate him. That tells you a lot.
    smitty wrote: »
    I have a politician in my family who is a moderate, and influences my views, so I tend to be not very partisan. But I must say of all the candidates, Cruz is the one I most detest. He's very smart and a total bastard. If half the stories my brother-in-law tell me are true, he is really dangerous. Trump is right about him, all of his own party members in Congress hate him. That tells you a lot.

Couldn't agree more. And that's entirely where my attempts to talk myself into supporting Trump were coming from earlier in the thread. His unwillingness to disavow the KKK and David Duke were the last straw on that front. I've heard a lot of people tell me that he doesn't believe half of the things that he says to fire up the more racist aspects of the Republican base, but I think his interview with Jake Tapper regarding the KKK endorsement speaks volumes.

Sadly, for the first time since I became old enough to vote in the presidential election (this will be my fourth presidential election), I don't think I'll be voting. I can't vote for Hillary and I absolutely will not cast my vote for anyone currently remaining on the Republican side not named John Kasich.
    I think the jury is still out on this KKK issue with Trump because he has been all over the map with different answers. I just don't think he is at all in the tank with the KKK, and I think he will disavow their support, which he has done at least once just recently. He ain't dumb. He's not going to go there. If he did something as unpopular tonight with the right as once again back Planned Parenthood, he's just not going to let himself get tainted with the KKK.
    It's not even whether or not he disavows it at this point, it's that he refused to do so while giving a national interview. It takes a special kind of idiot to think it's a good idea to refuse to disavow the support of white supremacists, regardless of what one has said about such groups in the past.

He sat on national TV and refused to disavow David Duke and the KKK because he didn't know anything about white supremacists. At best, that's a lie. At best.
    He also claimed he couldn't hear the questions clearly which was piped into an ear piece. He disavowed Duke just days before. So let's see what happens. I just can't see him going down that road. It makes no sense. He'd be killed in the press and he just isn't stupid enough to go there. He will disavow, I'd bet money.
    we all know he doesn't support the kkk or white supremacists, so I don't see how it hurts him that badly.
    He heard the questions. If he didn't, he wouldn't have known that Tapper was discussing Duke and the KKK. He knew who was being discussed. The fact is, he'll say anything to get elected. That's not a thing unique to him, as Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are working on their doctorates in that area as well, but to stoop to the level of pandering to the racist element is deplorable.

Reince Priebus should be absolutely ashamed of what has happened to the Republican party on his watch. I lean Republican and have only voted for two Democrats in my life (John Kerry in 2004, a vote I very much regret, and for a Democratic senate candidate, a vote I don't regret), and have gone Republican with every other vote. I couldn't be more disgusted with the party right now.
    The Thursday night Rep. debate will be a blood bath, with Rubio ad Cruz out to slit Trumps throat. He's tough as nails, and will give as good as he gets. It will be hugely entertaining, and scary as hell.
    smitty wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    @smitty, I think Trump is misunderstood. He has a quality that makes those who follow him forgive his flaws, and follow him on principle, because of who he is. That is similar to candidates like Clinton, Obama and Reagan. Even Bush Jr. So his political skills impress me for one.

Secondly I like the fact that he is calling it like it is on on the issues that matter. Sure, he is exaggerating, but he has a Republican primary to win, and that's not easy without a religious base, unless one targets the issues that matter to that constituency, e.g. border security, immigration, defence etc.
    The US border should be secured in my view. Whether it's done by a wall or other means, it's important that it be done, especially on the southern tip and definitely when it comes to illegal immigration. There is waste in defence spending. It should be curtailed. There are too many unnecessary interventions in foreign lands given the US budget position. That should be stopped. ISIL must be stopped first rather than Assad.
    Trump has mentioned all of these issues first. The other candidates have only jumped on that bandwagon afterwards and actually the other Republican candidates are not as honest about foreign interventions.
    So he is similar to Obama in that he seems to have the pulse of the Republican party the way Obama had the Democratic party some time back. He is energizing new independent voters into the process, like Obama, and also like Sanders to a lesser extent.

I read between the lines of his comments. The man is a New Yorker. He's lived there all his life. You can't be racist living in New York. It's as multicultural as it comes. He's just tough and no nonsense and that's how New Yorkers are. That's how New Jerseyers are too. He's like Christie. Rough, but tells it like it is.

Of all the candidates, he's the least in the pocket of donors (apart from Bernie). That's critical to me. You can see it in his ability to speak honestly and controversially. Others can't do that because they are bought and paid for. So, it's not because he's like Obama on the issues necessarily. It's because I appreciate his ability to say what he wants to say and be his own man. That's leadership, and I think the US needs that more than anything right now.

Moreover, yes, as you note, he is more centre right than far right on the issues. So of Republican candidates with a shot, he will be able to move to the centre, because his following is more of a movement/personality based and not so much issue based.

I don't necessarily want him to win. I need to first see him mature into a better debater, and be clearer on the issues going forward.
    He also needs to survive a vicious attack coming his way over the next two to three weeks. I'm not sure if all of those things are possible.
    If he can't learn to speak more clearly and in a more detailed fashion on the issues, then he will lose in the general imho, and that is how it should be.
    If he can mature as a candidate, then he will be unstoppable.

I too am conflicted about him. I think he is smart and cunning as all hell and agree with your points. He is saying some "stuff" to get nominated and then will move more to the center for the general election which for non Americans watching this election is very typical in US politics. He must curb his temperament as that is the big knock on him. And like you, I'm watching closely to see how he handles himself as the battle moves on. He'll need to moderate his immigration stand enough to appeal to moderates without alienating his current backers. But I know Democrats and moderates that are going to vote for him, which is seriously telling about his his deep appeal. I'd bet that he will get more disciplined about the personality stuff and more articulate about the issues as the battle goes on. He is one hell of a complicated guy. So far he has been consistently underestimated. Incredible battle ahead.

I'm watching the returns tonight and Trump is doing well. Clinton is carrying red states, which are not going to go Democratic in the general election which is a problem for her. If Bernie takes some big blue states tonight, he stays viable. She needed to put him away tonight. She may not do it. I really dislike Cruz, he is the most extreme, but very smart. He's won TX and OK and they come with big delegate counts. If Rubio loses FL, he's toast.
    Both of these comments (bondjames' and smitty's) hit the mark for me. Kasich is still my man even though I know he has about a 1% chance of winning.
    I have to give props for the most entertaining campaign of my young life.This is some high quality entertainment that you could not write.
    Kasich will be Trump's veep candidate. He ticks every box, moderate, big important swing state, extensive gov't exp. in addition to being a successful governor, not controversial. I'd bet money on it.
    Hopefully the media who are now trying to take down Trump will take a good, long look at themselves in the mirror when he's sworn into office in January. They're the ones that have turned this whole thing into an entertainment event rather than what it should be, a serious process to elect the POTUS.
    the president is a puppet that is controlled by the banking families so it doesn't matter who we elect, so it might as well be someone fun to listen to that will at least act like a boss.
    It does matter. He or she is the nation's spokesperson to the world as well as the leader of the military. The POTUS can do a lot of damage to both the US and the world, and with some of the crazies running this time around, we face a frightening future as a nation.
    the powers that be will not let 1 person ruin the world.Im pretty sure we will be alright at the end of the day.
    all we know is what they tell us unless your on the inside playing the game, we really don't know how it works behind the scenes.
    The powers that be are about to lose their supposed "power" to a reality TV star.
    I think they have a tight grip on their position and are sitting back and laughing at this whole spectacle.
    The thing about the Presidency is that the problems and the responsibilities are so monstrous, they tend to pull them all to the center. Obama initially looked far more left than he winded up governing. Clinton was down the middle, Bush was more conservative but not way right. Iraq is complicated. I think he was duped by Cheney about WMDs. They all mostly move towards the middle to try to govern no matter what they yak about during the primaries and general.
    Well, excuse me if I'm not laughing. While some may be entertained by this election, what it really represents is the US officially losing its mind.

And to think that people around the world were scratching their heads when we re-elected George W. Bush. Seems like a much more rational decision than what the Republican electorate is currently poised to do.
    your probably right about the rest of the world thinking were crazy if trump wins, but they already think were fat and stupid and crazy and all that good stuff so what can we do?
    your probably right about the rest of the world thinking were crazy if trump wins, but they already think were fat and stupid and crazy and all that good stuff so what can we do?

Prove them wrong by being responsible with our electoral process.
    I think we should let them think were all that negative shit who cares.I feel it is impossible to get America a positive reputation throughout the world so why try.
    There was a time when we weren't universally hated around the globe. Heck, we had a ton of global goodwill after 9/11 and managed to squander that in record time.

If you look at where this country was in the early post-9/11 years and where we are today, it's shameful. We had most of the world on our side after the attack, and the Republicans and Democrats actually united behind the President and managed to do their job on Capitol Hill.
    Yep, most of the world hates the US, and almost everyone also wants to live here.
    they hate us until they truly need us then they will like us for a year or 2 but it doesn't matter cause we like a lot of them regardless and that wont change.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    this pretty much sums up my feelings on Donald Drumpf to a 'T'...

just know that while many of us Americans are completely fed up with the way our government has been run over the past (almost) 2 decades - there are still us level headed folk that will hang their head in shame and disgust if this man is elected President Of The United States... I love my country, and I am proud to call myself an American - but it's also that pride that is completely disgusted by the current state of our country - a wussified country with no spine that has turned politics - which used to be (at best) a clown show - now, into a certified freak show... how i wish i could go back in time and bring back men like Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington (who rightly predicted that a 2 party system would be the downfall of our government).... god, it just makes me weep... i almost wish i was an old man, so i wouldn't have to live the majority of life through this crap.
    I hear where your coming from but don't right off the other side as stupid or religiously misguided try to see where their coming from. Not enough people do that it is always if they disagree about the presidential race the other side is just written off as stupid or misinformed.
    Oliver is part of the problem he so passionately attacks. It is the endlessly critical babel on cable TV shows, plus the huge impact of trash talk on the internet where the attacks are endlessly critical and often nonfactual. It is a toxic brew and the potential, most well qualified candidates in the country don't want to put up with it or expose their families to it. As I noted earlier Colin Powell and Ted Warner are both superior guys, and they didn't want to enter the mud fight.
This discussion has been closed.