SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• SP approaches $876 million in global box office

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond24.htm
    Less than a million now. And it made more January 18th (60K) than on the 11th (32K). Things are looking up!
  • The_Reaper wrote: »
    Less than a million now. And it made more January 18th
    (60K) than on the 11th (32K). Things are looking up!
    Today is MLK day in USA, so it´s a day off for a lot of people.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It seems that BoxOfficeMojo has already taken estimates for today, so the current total being shown is the most 'updated' (though not 100% official), correct? If so, it needs roughly $985,000 in the U.S. to cross the $200 million mark, and is less than $200,000 away from hitting $876,000,000.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    dragonsky wrote: »
    One year ago, Sony projected 200 million in North America and 500 million overseas and it has made 199 million in North America and 675 million overseas, so SP has actually overperformed. Looking at CR and SF box office, SP should close its theatrical run with 199.8 million in US and Canada, so it still has a chance to get 200 million, if Sony do its best.
    Where did you read that Sony projected 700m worlwide?

Sony leaks, you can read an abstract here:

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond24/secrets_of_spectre1.htm
    In truth, even were it to be released earlier, SPECTRE could probably not hope to match Skyfall’s box office success, although given the intrigue factor surrounding the return of SPECTRE and the possible return of Blofeld the film has a decent chance of reaching the magic $1billion mark. Even if it does not, it is worth bearing in mind that any gross in excess of $600 million would ensure the film surpassed the box office tallies of Craig’s first two Bond films. Revealingly, Sony, in November 2014, set a target for the film of a $200 million gross in the US and $500 million internationally, a tally which looks well within the film’s reach.

One point not highlighted above is that SP cost a lot more money than CR to make, and even cost quite a bit more than the insane budget for QOS.
    I think that Sony's figure quoted was not for what they really expected SP to gross, but what they assumed the Domestic and International BO would need to be for the film to turn profit.

Good to see SP had a decent gross on MLK day, as film needs all the help possible to reach $200 mil.

In the UK, SP is upto £94.75 mil.

It should stay in theaters for another 4-5 weeks or so. The Martian is still there and I just watched the BD. If SP comes out on Feb. 9th, it should stay in theaters at least until then, probably a couple weeks beyond. It's insane to think it won't get another 900 or so thousand in that time.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    It should stay in theaters for another 4-5 weeks or so. The Martian is still there and I just watched the BD. If SP comes out on Feb. 9th, it should stay in theaters at least until then, probably a couple weeks beyond. It's insane to think it won't get another 900 or so thousand in that time.

Yes, but 900k+ is a big figure when the film will be earning just a few thousand each day.

SP should get there, but its not going to be that easy to reach $200 mil, as the daily grosses now will be very small indeed, and will only get smaller as the theater counts drop.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mepal1 wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Yes, but 900k+ is a big figure when the film will be earning just a few thousand each day.

SP should get there, but its not going to be that easy to reach $200 mil, as the daily grosses now will be very small indeed, and will only get smaller as the theater counts drop.

I don't know... The Martian has been far better received and has umm better legs. SP is kinda knock kneed.

Trust me I want SP to cross 200m but new releases each week. I bet it's out only about a couple more weeks at best.
  • Well The Martian just got a boost because it got Oscar nominations, so that's an incentive for people to try and catch it on the big screen.

If Sony wants it, they can make it happen. I didn't see the theater count go up in the last few weeks, or did I miss anything? Last year's Cinderella was in the same boat, it was hovering around 197-8-9 until it just got a toe across the 200 line.

It seems silly to just 'abandon' it at 199 million. Wouldn't you want that nice 200 figure? :)
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Well The Martian just got a boost because it got Oscar nominations, so that's an incentive for people to try and catch it on the big screen.

If Sony wants it, they can make it happen. I didn't see the theater count go up in the last few weeks, or did I miss anything? Last year's Cinderella was in the same boat, it was hovering around 197-8-9 until it just got a toe across the 200 line.

It seems silly to just 'abandon' it at 199 million. Wouldn't you want that nice 200 figure? :)

The theater count for SP did go up a couple of weeks ago, but only for one week.
    Film did get a slight boost out of that.

Hold the presses! This news just came in!

"SPECTRE" Becomes Most Succesful Bond Film Ever (in The Netherlands)
    http://www.nu.nl/film/4199833/spectre-meest-succesvolle-bondfilm-ooit.html

The box office gross so far goes well past the €21 Million ($22,934,771). This seems to be an box office increase of 9% when compared to "Skyfall", according to distributor Universal Pictures. It is now the 2nd country after Japan where "SPECTRE" is more succesful than "Skyfall.

2.15 Million Dutch citizens have seen "SPECTRE" so far (The Netherlands has a population of 17 Million). And the movie is still playing in 100 theatres (In comparison, in the USA "SPECTRE" is playing in 288 theatres).
  • Same is true for Germany bye the way!
    Biggest box office ever for a Bond and currently 7 mm tickets sold
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    danielcc wrote: »
    Same is true for Germany bye the way!
    Biggest box office ever for a Bond and currently 7 mm tickets sold

Those are very small tickets.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    On the topic of the Box Office, why specifically 950 Million US $? Shouldn't the goal be 1 Billion?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Something I just noticed. I realize that SP didn't quite do as well as SF, but even if it had (which would be saying something, given SF's unprecedented success for Bond), its position on the 2015 ranks would have been as follows:

Worldwide - no change - #6 - where it currently stands
    USA - #7 rather than #10 - better, but certainly not a huge improvement.

2015 was just an extremely competitive year, with several massive releases.
  • Could we please all once and for all accept the simple fact that outside the US spectre did indeed perform almost in the exact level as sky fall!!??
    Adjusted for currency effects, SP is a mere 10% behind SF internationally and much if that comes from a disappointing performance in France certainly influenced by the terrorist attacks there.

I don't get why people and specifically fans make SP performance worse than it was...
  • Oh and just because someone puts 950 million as a target in the thread title that doesn't make it a realistic goal - no idea why people still fantasize over 1 Billion.

The run is almost over and we will end up with 885-890 as is quite well known for weeks now by anyone with a slight clue about box office.

Internationally it is an amazing performance, in the US it is a disappointment for those people that believed the one time only success of SF could be repeated. Realistically for the us, SP is pretty much in line with CR and QOS
    It was changed to $950 million because the original point of the thread was for us to discuss and see if SP would beat SF's record of $1.2 billion, which, from the start, most certainly was not going to happen. Once this was made obvious, it got dropped to something a little more realistic, but even still, we're a great ways away from $950 million.

@danielcc, I'm not sure what your hostility is all about, but this is a discussion thread on a forum, where we discuss the box office. It's been around for 125 pages, so obviously it's filled with speculation and the thread has taken many different turns at time. It's all but done now that the box office screams to a halt and we're left with the near-final numbers.
  • danielcc wrote: »
    Oh and just because someone puts 950 million as a target in the thread title that doesn't make it a realistic goal - no idea why people still fantasize over 1 Billion.

The run is almost over and we will end up with 885-890 as is quite well known for weeks now by anyone with a slight clue about box office.

Internationally it is an amazing performance, in the US it is a disappointment for those people that believed the one time only success of SF could be repeated. Realistically for the us, SP is pretty much in line with CR and QOS
    I agree, but maybe 880 million is more likely. 200 million in North America is not bad at all, but it is far to be great and, after SF, it seems a bit disappointing.
    Anyway, James Bond is living a new golden age in British Islands, Nordic Countries, German-speaking territories, Benelux and Australia & New Zeland. In France, BO has been very good, considering the terrorist attaks.
    SP is a very successful Bond film. There is no doubt about that. I did a check on its foreign gross and this is what I see:

SP- 6th highest foreign gross for 2015. Even if it made the same US $ conversion in foreign gross as SF (USD$804m) did, it would still be 6th in rank for 2015 on foreign gross alone. So as I said, even if it did SF #'s, it would still sit at #6 with no change in yearly rank because 2015 was a very strong year with some big 3D releases.

SF- 2nd highest foreign gross

QoS - 5th highest foreign gross

CR - 4th highest foreign gross

RE: the US, only SF was a bit of an outlier (4th highest grossing film of the year in the US, while Bond normally ends up near 9-10 or so in recent years).
  • not to forget:
    Internationally SP is at rank 23 of the highest grossing movies of all time (in USD).
    With SFs currency situation, it would be around rank 13!
    23rd highest grossing movie of all time in the U.S.? I see nothing wrong with that statistic.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    23rd highest grossing movie of all time in the U.S.? I see nothing wrong with that statistic.

I don't see anything wrong with it either. Seems to be a phenomenon on other sites (haven't seen the claim made all that much around here) to say that Spectre is a great financial disappointment or even failure, despite the fact that the numbers just don't back up such a claim.

@dalton, agreed, still can't wrap my head around other people calling it a failure of any type. If it needed $650 million to make its money back and it made almost $900 million, I'd say that's a damn fine success.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Perhaps they should take the profit to finance the next film
    Hopefully they'll use less than what they made on Spectre to budget the next one. They would be well served to make Bond 25 on a much tighter budget, hopefully focusing on story over spectacle. Not holding my breath on that, though.
    dalton wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll use less than what they made on Spectre to budget the next one. They would be well served to make Bond 25 on a much tighter budget, hopefully focusing on story over spectacle. Not holding my breath on that, though.
    CR was a supremely ballsy move after DAD's excess. They really dialed it back, focused on story, and the film was so much the better for it. I hope they go this route too. It will take a lot of confidence, and given B25 is likely going to be the first film after the studio changeover, I'm curious to see what direction they take, because it's likely to set the tone for many years.
    dalton wrote: »

I can see this happening, especially if they do a back-to-back shoot for the next two. There's no way they'll sink $200-300 million in each film, because then they'll have to put up a total budget of around $400-600 million for such a long shoot, which is highly unlikely. I see it being dialed back.

@Creasy47 I truly appreciate it that you linked to my articles before. But....did you actually read them :-)?

"SPECTRE" in the end was a too costly adventure, and it did nothing more than a bit more than breaking even.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @dalton, agreed, still can't wrap my head around other people calling it a failure of any type. If it needed $650 million to make its money back and it made almost $900 million, I'd say that's a damn fine success.

Initial predictions were that it couldn't do as well as SF without the boost of the Olympics, Adele and the 50th anniversary and then we went through a patch of people saying it would have matched SF it it hadn't been a 'mediocre' film but yes SP has done well. We'd be foolish to say otherwise, although some seem to mitigate it by citing the large budget at every opportunity.

The real ranking comes when we all get the BD and re-watch it enough to decide where it fits in with the other Bond films.

It's neither my favourite or least favourite Craig film at present so I await to see where I personally slot. It's still on twice an evening at my local cinema and I am a little tempted to see it one more time on the big screen.