The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm more interested in how no-one noticed one of the pilots walking towards the helicopter had strangely transformed into a woman. ;)

Or how nobody on the frigate heard the gunshots fired by Xenia. ;)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Since I always look into GE way too much, here's a question:

I always wondered who doubles for Admiral Farrell when Xenia goes to steal the Tiger helicopter; I figured it was obviously Ourumov, since he arrives with her, but their clothes are different so it's obvious that they stopped somewhere, changed, and the Severnaya attack obviously doesn't happen the same day as the theft of the Tiger helicopter. Later on, when Bond goes to meet Janus, Xenia shows up, and in the midst of the struggle, a goon walks in that Bond knocks out. He has a beard similar to Farrell's and it seems that he has the same kind of facial features, so is it possible that this is the man posing as Farrell earlier on in the movie? Or am I slowly going crazy and looking into things too much?

I've wondered if in fact it is actually 006/Trevelyan/Janus himself?

I always wondered who doubles for Admiral Farrell when Xenia goes to steal the Tiger helicopter; I figured it was obviously Ourumov, since he arrives with her, but their clothes are different so it's obvious that they stopped somewhere, changed, and the Severnaya attack obviously doesn't happen the same day as the theft of the Tiger helicopter. Later on, when Bond goes to meet Janus, Xenia shows up, and in the midst of the struggle, a goon walks in that Bond knocks out. He has a beard similar to Farrell's and it seems that he has the same kind of facial features, so is it possible that this is the man posing as Farrell earlier on in the movie? Or am I slowly going crazy and looking into things too much?

I've wondered the same, myself. What I posted earlier was nothing more than a curious ramble, I doubt it's him, and usually assume it's either Ourumov or Trevelyan. Some times I'm convinced it's one of them, other times I'm convinced it's the other.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I always wondered about the 'test flight' of the Helicopter in Monaco. I always thought all those people were there to see it fly around the harbour and witness it's agility and speed. I'd have thought the guys in charge would be a bit worried when the helicopter just disappeared in the horizon.
    In Skyfall, what substances are Silva alluding to when he says that Bond's file shows he suffers from alcohol addiction and substance abuse?
    @TR007, he states how he's only hung together by his pills and his drink, so the aforementioned addiction/abuse relates to all the alcohol he drinks and the pills he's abusing after the PTS.
    @creasy47 Ah. Thank you. I often wondered if it was something deeper than that. Cheers for clearing it up.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy 47, I have wondered about those things too, don't worry. ;-) Especially the thing with the ID switch. But remembering the novelization, I can't recall reading anything like that connection. :)
    @TR007, you're quite welcome! Happy to help. :)

@DarthDimi, glad I'm not the only one and haven't started to lose my mind. ;). I don't know what it was, I've seen the movie hundreds upon hundreds of times, but when I sat through the rest of it today, I saw the thug run in and it made me think how he looked a bit like Farrell, and perhaps that was the impostor.
    Birdleson wrote: »

I've wondered the same, myself. What I posted earlier was nothing more than a curious ramble, I doubt it's him, and usually assume it's either Ourumov or Trevelyan. Some times I'm convinced it's one of them, other times I'm convinced it's the other.

I'm glad you said that. I thought it wasn't making any sense because my brain was fried.

Absolutely no merit or basis behind it, it was simply my incoherent mind (wonder why!) trying to create something that wasn't there. ;)
  • Which is the Bond actor with most appearances on other famous cinematic sagas? I think it could be Julian Glover: Bond, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter (voice only).
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Christopher Lee: Dracula (he's been in at least eight), Frankenstein, Fu Manchu (he starred in five), James Bond, all three of Richard Lesters THE THREE MUSKETEERS films, STAR WARS, THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

That's seven and I'm sure that I'm forgetting something.

Shame on me: I consider myself to be a Hammer fan and didn't take this into account.
    Anybody know when the results for the "best james bond movie" poll is released? The one that was done here, choose 5 fav and 5 least fav.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Anybody know when the results for the "best james bond movie" poll is released? The one that was done here, choose 5 fav and 5 least fav.

We are probably talking three or four years. (Ref. the theme song vote)
    Okay, bearing in mind that in the novel I know they are working for Draco, but in the PTS of OHMSS, do the two thugs who fight Bond are working for Blofeld instead? They are manhandling Tracy far too roughly, I think, than they should if they were sent by her father to chaperon her. I mean one use a knife to threaten her. is there a definitive answer on that one? When I first saw the movie I thought they were working for SPECTRE, then reading the novel I thought otherwise... and now well I don't know.
    @Ludovico, excellent question and one I've been asking for a long time too. I mean, the fact that those goons seem willing to kill Bond and be so rough to Tracy is inconsistent with what we learn afterwards. Granted, Draco probably doesn't warm up Bond until after his night with her. The guy who attacks him in his hotel room seems pretty much willing to beat Bond to his death and we're quite sure he's working for Draco. Also, the PTS guys are wearing those "Draconian" uniforms. So perhaps we're supposed to go with the idea that they were indeed working for Draco who then later on warms to Bond and eventually works with Bond. Maybe, in order to raise the stakes in the PTS, the filmmakers decided to make the goons a bit more aggressive than they'd normally be. Whatever the case, you and I and many others have for decades been wondering about this. [-(
    When I first watched it I thought they were SPECTRE agents and that Tracy was being spied maybe as a potential target for kidnapping or murder under Blofeld's order to destabilize the Union Corse... That it was not explained did not deter my hypothesis: I thought Fleming would have made it clear in the novel. It made even more sense, since it meant Bond saved Tracy because he might have been checking on her to get to Blofeld, instead of just by total chance.

But I suspect it was merely to raise the stakes of the PTS that they were so rough on Tracy.
  • Following the commercial success of Skyfall, surpassing the $1B mark, why did Spectre's box office revenues fall short this time?
    @joshdeese93, I don't think SP's BO falls short. 850 million dollars (so far) is very good! SF was a freak accident in terms of BO results. I'm glad it happened when it did but it raised the bar unrealistically high for Bond IMO.

@Birdleson, you're right, sir. :)
  • Does anyone know the recipe to the mushroom dish that Nick Nack prepared for Bond and Scaramanga in TMWTGG?
    @joshdeese93
    I dunno, about Nick Nack's recipe but if you want something awesome and easy with mushrooms, stir fry them with minced garlic and coarse salt. Then add eggs and scramble 'em.

• TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    There's a lot of pages in this thread, sorry if this was already mentioned but:

Can someone tell me how the hell did Bond manage to go to Talamone in QOS if they had already cut off his credit card?
    Maybe he had cash on him?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well he did say he'd won the lottery. ;)
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 158
    Hi! I have questions about the time Pierce Brosnan used either a sash cord or a curtain rope (unclear) to jump out of a window that was maybe seven stories high in The World is Not Enough.

1/ How does he find a cord that is so very long (60 foot minimum)?

2/ Have you ever seen a cord that was at least 60 foot long that you could just rip away from a window?

3/ How does he know it is exactly the right length? If it was just a few feet longer, he would have died on hitting the concrete below. If it was twenty feet shorter, he would be left dangling in the air.

4/ He appears to tie the cord to his belt. Why doesn't the initial impact of the fall cause him internal injury?

5/ Why would the Bond producers and the script writers think this was a good stunt when it was so devoid anything that even slightly resembles realism?

6/ Did a single person on the set or Pierce Brosnan himself think it was a bad idea?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    1 and 2 - suspension of disbelief.

3 - He guaged it with his eyes. He is Bond after all.

4. Because he attaches the other end to that bloke as a counterweight to lessen the impact.

5. Because it is a good stunt. The shot from the top of the balcony as he goes over the edge is spectacular. I wish there was a single stunt as good as that in either Mendes film.
    I presume you prefer the realism of the spiral car jump which took a computer to work out the calculations to make it possible and the driving column having to be moved to the centre of the car to balance it?

6. What makes you think Pierce had any influence over this? He's not Daniel 'exec producer' Craig. And given most of the same people on the set were there during DAD I guess the answer is people just don't speak up when things are going to shit.

Also you seem to have omitted the least credible aspect off your list - namely a thin cord used for opening the blinds is unlikely to have the tensile strength to support a falling man.
    TWINE has many issues, but the whole Bilbao scene certainly is not one of them.
    If only TWINE had put the OT between the PTS and the Vauxhall Cross / Thames scenes, it's have created a whole new dynamic for the second part of the film IMO.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If only TWINE had put the OT between the PTS and the Vauxhall Cross / Thames scenes, it's have created a whole new dynamic for the second part of the film IMO.

One of the big mistakes of the movie. I blame the director. The PTS does not have to be all action extravaganza.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The rest of the film would still have been underwhelming, but at least Brosnan would have gotten one great pts.