Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I just watched it @haserot. It blew me away....the hairs are standing up on the back of my neck. The music is such a key element in these trailers and they are using it so effectively as well to create the mood and take us back to that setting.

Incredible looking film so far. I can't wait!
    If the film is as good as the trailers present, then we are in for a cracking good time.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Empire is the good one. The rest range from meh to downright awful
    HASEROT wrote: »
    the entire original trilogy is excellent.. Return Of The Jedi gets a bad wrap because of the ewoks.. but i can live with that, thanks to the climactic confrontation between Luke and the Emperor at the end..

the prequel trilogy by comparison is just 'meh'... Lucas should've treated those like he did the originals - get the first one out of the way, and let other directors and writers perfect his stories.... Phantom Menace was just awful... Attack Of The Clones I didn't mind, but i feel like it's pacing is so damn slow, that by the end i just don't care anymore... i really liked Revenge Of The Sith, despite it's flaws - Ian's performance as Palpatine was just incredible - easily the best part of the prequels was him.

I agree with your views on the films.

There was something missing from the films of the the 2nd trilogy, a lack of heart in the films, and there was too much babbling talk at various meetings with councillors and so forth. Basically the 2nd trilogy lacked that energetic, fun drive that the 1st trilogy films had.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,043
    I'm still a little nervous, I've seen a post on Nolan Fans (I'm a member but not posted for a long time, just lurk around now) posted by one of our own that purports to be genuine of someone who's seen a preview showing.

The review is spoiler free but says that the film is great and the 3rd best film of the series. By this time next week I'll know as my booking is 8pm next Thursday.

My reaction to SPECTRE has got me wary as I waited for that with baited breath but although my initial first viewing I very much enjoyed it by the 2nd it was a different story.

I'm not going in expecting a film that will blow my mind, I'm going in with an open mind because the trailers have looked amazing but as we know this is not always the case with the film.

TFA has been very shrewd in keeping things back, if only I could have seen SF or SP without the media spoiling it, JJ and company has done a great job keeping things under wraps. Yes there are plenty of fan theories out there but nothing that the media has been able to spoil. It will be the first time for me on an event film where I've got no real idea what I'm going to see, yes we've had those clips but I have no clue how this will start and that is something that excites me greatly.

To be honest I have no problem with being a bit of a nostalgic first episode to this new era, some have said they would rather see JJ fail doing something new than just go over old ground. Personally I thin that is ridiculous and some who want seem edgy and not a part of the pack even say at least the PT was Lucas doing something different, yeah rihg now look how that turned out.

It does appear that TFA will be similar to EP 4 but I completely understand this. The job of this film is to pull everyone in and give them a Star Wars film that excites and put a smile a mile long on their faces.

It will be the job of Rian Johnson to possibly take the franchise into new territory, lets remember all 3 OT films are quite different, I can't imagine they'll just carbon copy the next 2 if the BO is world beating.

The fact that it's just under a week for me to go and the thought of possibly seeing something at one point I thought I'd never again, another great Star Wars film is incredibly thrilling and somewhat scary, I love it!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I'm watching the first one again now and I've got mixed feelings towards it:

The great:
    Alec Guiness
    James Earl Jones/ Darth Vader
    Peter Cuishing
    John Williams's music
    The cinematography
    The final Death Star attack

The bad:
    I hate to say this but Mark Hamill is as wooden as they come in this.
    Some of the goofy dialogue.

I'm not sure about Ford and Fisher either to be honest.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm watching the first one again now and I've got mixed feelings towards it:

The great:
    Alec Guiness
    James Earl Jones/ Darth Vader
    Peter Cuishing
    John Williams's music
    The cinematography

The bad:
    I hate to say this but Mark Hamill is as wooden as they come in this.
    Some of the goofy dialogue.

I'm not sure about Ford and Fisher either to be honest.

Though compare it to Hayden Christensen and it's quite proficient, the dialogue is pretty hokey but I think where these films succeed is their charm and warmth.

I'll give a shout out to Harrison he really sells those lines well and a super star was born.
    Comparing it to most blockbuster around it knocks most of them into a cocked hat.

Empire is where they really got it right, Lucas wasn't directing and the script is so much better but Star Wars will always remain a land mark in cinema.

If TFA captures the vibe of that film I for one won't be disappointed.
    I'm not trying to say its a bad film at all, there's a lot to like about it, but I can understand adults who saw it back in the day and may have found it silly. It was made primarily for children though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm not trying to say its a bad film at all, there's a lot to like about it, but I can understand adults who saw it back in the day and may have found it silly. It was made primarily for children though.

Yes, it was. I was ten, and there were mostly kids my age in the theater, some with their parents. We all loved it.
    I wish I could have been there. I almost feel bad being critical of it as I know it was a defining movie for a generation. I just wonder what more cynical adults thought about it back in '77. I know that some of the cast/production team had doubts when making it and that it was pretty much rubbished before release.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Ok, I've broken. I was initially going to see SW7 first on the 21st in Imax. However, I couldn't wait. I found a theatre with some available showings on Friday, Dec 18th, and got them. So I'm there for at least two showings, whether it's shiite or not.

Ps: I really wasn't a fan of the original trilogy when younger. I was always into Bond and didn't go for Indiana or Star Wars. As I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate it more, despite the dialogue / acting of the leads. It has charm, and its mythology is impressive.
    Question for our North American friends. Do some people actually go to the cinema dressed up in Star Wars costumes?
    I have read in the media that some fans have been camping in tents outside the cinemas these past few days. Are they mad, or what? :-O
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    There were several people walking around my city today dressed as Star Wars characters. I bumped into a Chewbacca!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The was a bloke today on " click" a technology programme on bbc news.
    who makes replica droids from star wars, and he had made a fully working
    bb8 ( the new robot, that looks like a football) it was astonishing!
    Just finished A New Hope this morning. I'll add the final attack on the Death Star to my list of "greats". That must have been incredible to watch in the cinema back in 1977.
    Just finished A New Hope this morning. I'll add the final attack on the Death Star to my list of "greats". That must have been incredible to watch in the cinema back in 1977.

It was, but the biggest rush of all? Darth Vader!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Getting ready for Episode VII so I'm watching the other six in timeline order. I just finished the prequel trilogy.

The Phantom Menace
    I've seen this one more than a few times since I was a kid. While I always thought it was the weakest of the movies, I by no means hated it, other than Jar Jar. After this last viewing I found it to be complete crap. Still love pod racing, Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, and Dual of the Fates but that's it. The plot was weak, the special effects were not great, kid Anakin, Jar Jar Binks, and the terrible dialog, nuff said. Yet it still had that nostalgia factor for me so I enjoyed it on some level.

Attack of the Clones
    I've always understood the hate that TPM got but never understood the hate for AOTC. Yes some of the dialog wasn't good and Hyaden Christensen's acting at times was pretty shoddy (I think some of it had to do with his lines) and there was too much cgi but I still love the movie. The plot is great and IMO this should've been Episode I. I've heard people say the chemistry between Christensen and Portman is terrible but I disagree. They don't have amazing chemistry but it's still there. Honestly, on my last play through of the prequel trilogy I enjoyed AOTC the most out of the three and that has me questioning if I should rank it above ROTS.

Revenge of the Sith
    I feel this one had better quality than the last two and we finally get to see that brotherhood between Obi-Wan and Anakin that everyone had been wanting to see since the beginning. I felt Christensen nailed the uneasiness of Anakin in this movie but did struggle to maintain the anger in him and it came off whiny, which I would blame more on Lucas because he kept telling Christensen to tone back the evil/anger. They're are very few things I would change in this one, Padme' losing the will to live (seriously, WTF?!) being one of them. Otherwise this one fits in pretty well with the rest of them.

I know I'm in the minority in liking Episodes II and III but I really don't care, I find enjoyment in them. Later this week I'll be watching the original trilogy and then next week I'm off to see The Force Awakens!!!
    I think if you weren't there at the beginning and I don't mean disrespect, you'll never really get the thorough disappointment we experienced with the prequels.

If you saw the OT on TV or video and then watched the PT on the big screen and it was your first experience of Star War on the big screen it's not really the same.

I'm not saying George Lucas raped my childhood like some but he did produce 3 extremely underwhelming films that lack any charm or heart whatsoever at all.

I'll never forget that big screen experience aged 6 in 1978 and I'm sorry you can't compare to that, unlike Bond I was there at the start and for us who were it's always going to be different.
    The funny thing is that a lot of youngsters now probably consider the original film to be boring and, yes, it is slower and less eventful compared to what came afterwards.

I was talking to one of my friends last night (who's 30 so far from a child) and he was saying he almost fell asleep watching A New Hope again.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Empire is the only one that's decent. Tired of the hype and the stupid overwrought secrecy. It's just a movie
  • Star Wars reviews are starting to pop up, from all the lucky bastards who saw it early.
    As predicted, it's fantastic!!
    There are sixteen screenings here tomorrow. A local newspaper had a story about it with a picture of Kylo Ren.

The text to that pic: Darth Vader is back! Now with a new style.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tired of the hype and the stupid overwrought secrecy. It's just a movie

That's how I feel about Bond. At least with SW they have a reason to and it seems as though it's really paying off. The hype for TFA is astronomical and it's premiere completely obliterates any Bond premiere to date and that's saying something.

In another thread there was a discussion about a second Bond mania being possible and most if not all agreed that it'll never reach such heights again, SW on the other hand have done this 2 or 3 times, even with the prequels as bad as they were.

Star Wars reviews are starting to pop up, from all the lucky bastards who saw it early.
    As predicted, it's fantastic!!

Links?
  • It was all over my Facebook this morning- here's a quick google result to whet your appetite
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/dec/15/star-wars-the-force-awakens-first-reactions-suggest-overwhelming-experience
    giphy.gif
    I think i'll wait to see the official reviews, rather than all these 'twitters'. : :)

I'am sure the film is going to fabulous.
    I just watched the SW premiere and I think Carrier Fisher just outed Craig as a storm trooper.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Tired of the hype and the stupid overwrought secrecy. It's just a movie

That's how I feel about Bond. At least with SW they have a reason to and it seems as though it's really paying off. The hype for TFA is astronomical and it's premiere completely obliterates any Bond premiere to date and that's saying something.

In another thread there was a discussion about a second Bond mania being possible and most if not all agreed that it'll never reach such heights again, SW on the other hand have done this 2 or 3 times, even with the prequels as bad as they were.

I think the secrecy is commendable, if only SPECTRE or even Skyfall could have contained itself like TFA, it's the first time in a long time I'm going to see a hugely anticipated film and it's not been spoiled by the press.

I know some have apparently seen shooting schedules and are deeming that this is the film but I haven't, I've guessed a few things that seem to be playing out but I'm so pumped that when I sit down Thursday night with my Wife to watch this that I have no idea what it going to be on the screen after the obvious crawl opening, which is going to be an adrenaline rush on it's own when that music starts and the title comes up.

SPECTRE had barely anything that was a surprise, I knew how it was going to start and none of it really took me by surprise. We might have got 3 trailers, umpteen TV spots but with TFA it just looks like apart from every now and then these are just the same sequences recycled in different order to give the impression of something new when really they aren't giving much away at all.

This really is going to be something seeing this on Thursday, I just hope it isn't going to be a SPECTRE size disappointment.

I'll be seeing it on Friday. I'm feeling the force. May it be with you.