SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

dinovelvet wrote: »
    mepal1 wrote: »
    OK...........if you are just talking about BO gross then yes SP has made a lot of dosh.......and admissions wise they obviously have been on a par with SF on the International market............BUT in the North American market, the admissions for SP, are way down, in comparison to the most recent Bond films from 1995 onwards.

But it hasn't finished it's run yet? All the Brosnan/Craig films (except SF) are closely grouped together in US admissions, with 195-230 adjusted totals. Spectre will finish somewhere in the middle of that group.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=jamesbond.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

It would need a huge surge in attendance for SP to get anywhere near the middle pack, of previous admission figures for Bond films.
    Remember SP will be grossing peanuts now every day upto xmas.
    If film ends up at around the $200 mil mark, or similar to QOS's adjusted figure, then the total admissions for SP are going to be similar to QOS........ i.e at the bottom of the list for recent Bond films........unfortunately.
    Strange coz SP is a far better film than QOS........and at least its watchable!

• edited December 2015 Posts: 725
    It's interesting that the posters that didn't care for SP keep mostly noting only the US BO which is almost the only country that will not equal SF's world wide BO when the film's run is over. Given the highly unfavorable ER, SP's performance outside of the US has been excellent.

I still think the Sony leaks created a Sony/Bond backlash in the US press, added to that was those in the media who wanted SF2 and were pissed that they didn't get it. I think EON's biggest problem is how the hell do you keep going with 24 films that are original, yet still respectful of Bond past, while virtually every spy movie out there is stealing every idea it can from the series.

The fact that SP did as well as it has, will hopefully in time get some respect from the media which is currently only focused on the fact that it won't make more than SF. SP will likely finish as the 6th highest grossing film world wide in 2015. Those parsing the profit should know that any studio would give their collective right arm to obtain the franchise and make that kind of profit, given how many films flopped this year, and flopped big. And we're all just noting theater BO, not the huge ancillary profits. EON ain't dumb. You can bet 25 will have a better script and lower budget.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Ma6ybe they should have had Queen Elizabeth II co-ordinate the PR campaign? ;)

And just maybe, if the SonyLeaks would not have happened, we wouldn't have been discussing the screenplay for SP to death :-)?

Again if SP had not been mediocre then it would have performed better.

No one seriously cares about the leaks.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    smitty wrote: »
    SP will likely finish as the 6th highest grossing film world wide in 2015. Those parsing the profit should know that any studio would give their collective right arm to obtain the franchise and make that kind of profit, given how many films flopped this year, and flopped big.
    Indeed, and there will certainly be a bidding war for the franchise shortly. There is no more consistent money maker in the franchise business than James Bond. None that I am aware of anyway. Certainly not one with such a broad range of fans (throughout the globe and across age groups and demographies). That is not in question and I don't think has ever been in argument.....nor should it be.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Those leaks had nothing to do with anything. It did more good than bad as the original draft's third act was terrible and the Blofeld reveal was more hamfisted.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Maybe we need to accept that SF's BO results were a "freak accident" that set a false bar.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    smitty wrote: »
    It's interesting that the posters that didn't care for SP keep mostly noting only the US BO which is almost the only country that will not equal SF's world wide BO when the film's run is over. Given the highly unfavorable ER, SP's performance outside of the US has been excellent.

I still think the Sony leaks created a Sony/Bond backlash in the US press, added to that was those in the media who wanted SF2 and were pissed that they didn't get it. I think EON's biggest problem is how the hell do you keep going with 24 films that are original, yet still respectful of Bond past, while virtually every spy movie out there is stealing every idea it can from the series.

The fact that SP did as well as it has, will hopefully in time get some respect from the media which is currently only focused on the fact that it won't make more than SF. SP will likely finish as the 6th highest grossing film world wide in 2015. Those parsing the profit should know that any studio would give their collective right arm to obtain the franchise and make that kind of profit, given how many films flopped this year, and flopped big.

Good points..................true SP won't make a huge profit, but one can look at it from another angle, in that the film has still done very well, considering it had colossal production costs to recoup, to which the film still made a shed load of money to get its investment back, this is a huge achievement in itself, and only a handful of other film franchises could of taken this risk on in the first place.........and yes there have been an awful lot of failures in the film world recently.
    @mepal1, since most money is made in home video nowadays, I think SP is looking at one hell of a big profit.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Maybe we need to accept that SF's BO results were a "freak accident" that set a false bar.
    @DarthDimi, SP is doing very well box office wise. No one should dispute that. In the end it will be a very successful film.

Yes, SF was a phenomenon, similar to TB. It was unrealistic, in retrospect, to think that its success could be replicated again. Unfavourable exchange rates have had an effect, but certainly there was an outsize element of success to that film, especially in the US market..

It appears that SP will just be back at the trendline (or slightly worse) in the US compared to other Craig Bond films of the recent past, bar SF.

With all the other media out there these days, and earlier blu ray releases etc., many may be waiting to enjoy the film on the small screen (which have got much larger actually, and much sharper these days), so the film may actually benefit & do relatively better in the US on other media.
    I think repeatedly naming the leaks is clutching at straws. Really. No one beyond nerdsville really cares.

If you read the leaks, the Sony execs were spot on with their criticisms.

Spectre is flawed. Had unrealistically biased high reviews in the UK which didn't translate abroad. They spunked a wastefully, ludicrously, borderline immoral amount of money on some parts of it for very little return in terms of entertainment.

Half the budget next time, and start writing now. Hell, get three teams of writers going at the same time and pick the best.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @mepal1, since most money is made in home video nowadays, I think SP is looking at one hell of a big profit.

Lets hope so..............SF did very well in the home video market, making a tad under $100 mil
    for DVD and Blu-Ray sales in the North American market alone.

Does anyone know how much of the home video market, as a percentage of revenues goes back to the studio?

@mepal1, can you please quit the "...................."? Our members can read normal sentences, you know. ;-) Thank you.
    Perhaps the answer lies in the # of U. S. screens for Spectre. For the first 2 weeks it was shown in 3,900+ screens. Week 3 and Week 4 have seen significant drop-offs, as the Hunger Games premiered on 4,100+ screens. For the past week, Spectre has dropped to 2,600+ screens.

I think some of you really need to adjust your tinfoil hats. The U. S. govt. is not going to dictate to Sony pictures on what to write in a Bond movie. And the Sony leaks was an interesting story, but how many of those who post here actually read the actual leaked scripts and stayed away? I doubt it was thousands and thousands.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 725
    FLeiter wrote: »
    Perhaps the answer lies in the # of U. S. screens for Spectre. For the first 2 weeks it was shown in 3,900+ screens. Week 3 and Week 4 have seen significant drop-offs, as the Hunger Games premiered on 4,100+ screens. For the past week, Spectre has dropped to 2,600+ screens.

I think some of you really need to adjust your tinfoil hats. The U. S. govt. is not going to dictate to Sony pictures on what to write in a Bond movie. And the Sony leaks was an interesting story, but how many of those who post here actually read the actual leaked scripts and stayed away? I doubt it was thousands and thousands.

No one is claiming the leaks impacted fans or any of the general audience directly. Of course very few read them. My point is, if you know how the US press works, they jump on any fresh major news story and incorporate it into their output to show how "inside" the loop they are. Also, the negativity in the leaks definitely got picked up massively by the US press and it bled into their articles and reviews and hurt the US BO, particularly the opening week. I work with the press and know how they work. They have to write on deadline every day, every week, every month and they are always looking for an angle to get them attention, and clicks, the more negative the better. The leaks were gold to them.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Using voice text to type this but the insinuation that z American audience has questionable taste concerning the Brosnan films is getting old the truth is that the audience has been stable maybe gaining some new audience with Skyfall
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I personally see why SF grossed more, it was far more compelling and thrilling and Bond was actually in danger, whereas you just felt like Bond was easily going get out of his predicaments in SP.

The 50th and Adele played into it but SP is a very flawed film which had some pretty bad word of mouth in the U.S. I know some want to play it down but the whole Blofeld childhood nonsense has not done this film any good in the long run.

The script needed more work it's doesn't just convince and the amount of people I've heard say that Blofeld was basically Daddy didn't love me enough so I became a super villain. This has harmed the film and fans of the film will try and play it down and say it was only a small part but I'm sorry it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

SP is far from a flop but expecting it to top SF box office was a big ask but SP flaws have not helped it. I just think even though SF has it's problems it's a better film and so is CR.

• mepal1 wrote: »
    OK...........if you are just talking about BO gross then yes SP has made a lot of dosh.......and admissions wise they obviously have been on a par with SF on the International market............BUT in the North American market, the admissions for SP, are way down, in comparison to the most recent Bond films from 1995 onwards.

But it hasn't finished it's run yet? All the Brosnan/Craig films (except SF) are closely grouped together in US admissions, with 195-230 adjusted totals. Spectre will finish somewhere in the middle of that group.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=jamesbond.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

It would need a huge surge in attendance for SP to get anywhere near the middle pack, of previous admission figures for Bond films.
    If film ends up at around the $200 mil mark, or similar to QOS's adjusted figure, then the total admissions for SP are going to be similar to QOS........ i.e at the bottom of the list for recent Bond films........unfortunately.

Let's not forget Xmas/New Year coming up, two big weekends where everything, even films fading out like Spectre, will get a few more million. It won't lose many screens next week (every theater will be desperately getting rid of Frankenstein instead).

A few weeks ago I suggested SP can compete with MR and DAD but that doesn't look likely now. I think it will certainly beat QOS, and nudge past GE (203) and TWINE (207) at some point in January, but will not reach CR's 212.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So what're we surmising will be the finalized box office amount for this? Roughly $850 million? I'd have to say that $200 million profit even before home video sales are taken into account is more than a success.

Let's not forget Xmas/New Year coming up, two big weekends where everything, even films fading out like Spectre, will get a few more million. It won't lose many screens next week (every theater will be desperately getting rid of Frankenstein instead).

A few weeks ago I suggested SP can compete with MR and DAD but that doesn't look likely now. I think it will certainly beat QOS, and nudge past GE (203) and TWINE (207) at some point in January, but will not reach CR's 212.

Lets hope so. The Xmas and NY holiday will certainly contribute decent daily grosses, for the films tail end performance. But from now upto that point the daily takings are going to be very small, so to get to $200 mil is still quite a task.
    Hopefully, SP does end on the right side of $200 mil, because it just looks so much better in the record books, having a final figure starting with a 2 rather than a 1.

I'm honestly curious as to whether or not SP will even impress over the holidays, due to how incredibly big 'The Force Awakens' is going to be. I feel like just about everyone is going to be focused on the new Star Wars for a while and SP may unfortunately fall into the depths below.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm honestly curious as to whether or not SP will even impress over the holidays, due to how incredibly big 'The Force Awakens' is going to be. I feel like just about everyone is going to be focused on the new Star Wars for a while and SP may unfortunately fall into the depths below.

I had wondered that myself, because by Xmas there will be other new films opening, and by then SP maybe at best playing in very few theatres. I was just going by on how well previous Bonds had done over the xmas holiday period.
    Surely not everyone will be just watching SW7.
    In fact, we don't know yet if the film is going to be mediocre, good or brilliant.
    What we do know though is for sure the first 2 weeks of SW7 are going to be massive, if film does turn out to have good WOM then it will impact heavily on the BO takings for the other films around the holiday period.

• Creasy47 wrote: »

People are making crazy predictions about it. But this year we heard all about how The Avengers was going to be the biggest movie of the summer, and it ended up beaten by Fast 7 and Jurassic world. 50 Shades of grey was going to be the biggest R-rated movie of all time - it wasn't.

What I'm saying is that nobody knows anything until the film is out. There hasn't been one review or reaction anywhere so far. For all we know its going to be Phantom Menace all over again. Besides, if it really is big then screenings sell out and people at the theater will go see something else instead, which will be good for Spectre!
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I had wondered that myself, because by Xmas there will be other new films opening, and by then SP maybe at best playing in very few theatres.
    Yes, that is true. There are some very strong Christmas releases every year. Less action oriented but compelling nevertheless.
    What I'm saying is that nobody knows anything until the film is out. There hasn't been one review or reaction anywhere so far. For all we know its going to be Phantom Menace all over again.
    Yes, that is possible, but Phantom Menace made massive amounts of moola irrespective of Jar Jar and so-so effects and reviews. I think we're probably at that point again.....the demand is pent up and people will go regardless. Only if it is a complete PoS do I see a poor gross. It may not do $2bn, but it's probably going to be massive, and most probably will take out JW when it's all said and done.
    Regarding SW7, i will be going to see the film, because like most people i'am curious to see if the JJ Abrahms version will rekindle the spark in the franchise that the first 3 films had. Having the original stars in the film is also a big plus point.
    As this is the first of the new films, then regardless of whether it is really good, or so-so, the film is going to gross big time.
    If the film is poor, then this will reflect BO wise on the future installments only.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 40,485
    The new 'Star Wars' will at least hit $1 billion (or more) very, very quickly, regardless of whether or not the film is a masterpiece or a steaming pile of feces.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The new 'Star Wars' will at least hit $1 billion (or more) very, very quickly, regardless of whether or not the film is a masterpiece or a steaming pile of feces.

I've read BO articles stating that the film could reach $1 billion in 2 weeks.

:-O
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 389
    Box Office comparison in a 50 year old franchise is in some way insane, even adjusting ticket prices. In 1960s or 70s the only way to watch a movie was going to the theatre, so all the money used to come from theatrical Box Office and a movie use to have several runs. In 1980s and 90s everything changed with video tapes and Cable TV. In XXI century the internet has changed everything again, with internet, piracy and so on.

SP is going to be profitable, maybe even during its thatrical run, which is quite extrange nowadays. Look at the last 5 movies (ADSL era)
    I consider rentals are 55% of North American gross and 40% of international gross (with the exception of China, 25%). Prints and Ads budgets are estimates.

TWINE: 70 + 93= 163 million, with a 135+80=215 million budget. Theatrical run: -52 million.
    DAD: 88+108= 196 million, with a 142 + 90 million budget. Theatrical run: -36 million.
    CR: 92+170 =262 million, with a 150+120= 270 million budget. Theatrical run: -9 million.
    QoS: 92+165 million =257 million, with a 200+120= 320 million budget. Theatrical run: -63 million.
    SF: 167 + 313 =480 million, with a 200+125= 325 million budget. Theatrical run: +155 million.

According to Deadline Hollywood:
    "... global gross between $800M-$900M is the more reasonable end point. The expectation even per non-Sony film finance execs is that Spectre will be one of the few films to breakeven in theatrical" "Industry estimates project Spectre home entertainment revenue at $170M with another $120M in global TV rights".
    http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-profit-box-office-skyfall-james-bond-franchise-1201615942/
  • Box Office comparison in a 50 year old franchise is in some way insane, even adjusting ticket prices.

That's why I have also comparing this year's release of "SPECTRE" with other 2015 blockbusters. And some other recent spy/superhero flicks like "Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier", "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation", "The Dark Knight Rises", "Kingsman".
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Earlier this year, Deadline Hollywood did a 20 film countdown of the most profitable releases of 2014, taking into account marketing budget and ancillary revenue. I hope they do it again next year and wonder if SP will have a place on it.

For what it's worth, the 20th film was Interstellar, with an estimated $47 million in profit.
    I think even 850m might be tough to get..

But all an all...SP is a success. I hope SONY did not expect another billion dollar bond..