Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Gerard wrote: »
    eddychaput wrote: »
    While I find the covers to be arresting, and in some cases quite different from what we would get from a Bond movie poster these days, what's up with Dynamite revealing covers two months in advance? Surprise us!

It's the case for every comic book and graphic novel from every publisher. Not showing the cover is the exception rather than the rule, and it's been that way for a long time.

I'm not too big on comics, to be honest. I'm mostly reading this because it's Bond. Whatever other comics I own are the volumes that contain multiple issues. I didn't know that was common practice.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Having said that, Issue #4 has just been revealed with a release date of February 3.
    JamesBond04CovAReardon.jpg

"James Bond is alone in Berlin, with nothing but the clothes on his back and the gun in his hand. When help is offered from an unexpected source, Bond has no choice but to accept it - even though it may guarantee that he doesn't live through the night."

That's an interesting cover :-?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Having said that, Issue #4 has just been revealed with a release date of February 3.

"James Bond is alone in Berlin, with nothing but the clothes on his back and the gun in his hand. When help is offered from an unexpected source, Bond has no choice but to accept it - even though it may guarantee that he doesn't live through the night."

I kind of believe it's a continuation of the same artist's (Dom Reardon) third issue cover with a naked muscular male chest. Like two sides of the coin kind of thing.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116

I kind of believe it's a continuation of the same artist's (Dom Reardon) third issue cover with a naked muscular male chest. Like two sides of the coin kind of thing.

You're probably right.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 7,653
    I read the first two installments and found them quite enjoyable. ((having them on a subscription does not require me to remember to buy them)
  • eddychaput wrote: »
    While I find the covers to be arresting, and in some cases quite different from what we would get from a Bond movie poster these days, what's up with Dynamite revealing covers two months in advance? Surprise us!

It has to do with the way comics are marketed nowadays. Once upon a time (1930s-1970s) comics were placed on the local racks on a returnable basis. Everything that didn't sell went back to the distributor, and the local dealers only had to pay for the stuff that sold. It was a very wasteful system, one that invited corruption and fraud. Starting in the mid-70s, with the rise of comics specialty shops, comics have been sold on a non-returnable basis -- which means that the dealer is stuck with anything that doesn't sell by the time the next issue comes out. (Hopefully he'll eventually be able to sell the older issues at an inflated price, but it doesn't always work that way.) Since the dealer can't always accurately guess how many of each title he's going to be able to sell, many dealers urge their customers to order the books they want ahead of time...and to aid in this process, it has become standard practice for covers, creative teams, and a fair amount of plot details to be revealed to the readers two months ahead of time. This way the readers can let their local retailers know what they're going to want, and the every step of the supply chain has their own behinds covered.

Can you post the other pic so we can compare them?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,423
    dragonsky wrote: »

Can you post the other pic so we can compare them?
    Sure. Here.
    TNJamesBond03CovAReardon.jpgTNJamesBond04CovAReardon.jpg
    I'm enjoying the story so far. Read #2 this past week. Looks like the majority of the story is going to take place in Berlin.

Is that a good or a bad thing? Too early to tell.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,423
    Yes, I agree the main setting is Berlin, and more or less, I think I see where Dynamite is going with the take. VARGR is some sort of a short story if adapted to literary form... or novella. I think, from my speculation, VARGR is an acronym for the project Slaven Kurjak is working on, with the girl who called herself Dharma Reach being a test subject along with her boyfriend who received the mission to kill Bond at the last page of Issue #1. My guess is, Kurjak being a Serbian war victim having lost an arm and a leg brought himself to test these mechanical body parts upon his own figure first (and apparently succeeded) and wants to do the humanity some justice with it and stuff? I don't know where do the drugs come in, though.
    I found preview pages for #3. Looks great.
    Looks fascinating so far. And Bond's physical 'stunts' are that of the 'cool action hero'.
    http://nerdist.com/first-look-at-dynamites-james-bond-007-vargr-3/
    Looks fascinating so far. And Bond's physical 'stunts' are that of the 'cool action hero'.

Agreed. Thanks for finding the link. I was unable to before.

Nice to experience a Bond adventure that isn't blatantly paying homage to previous stories.

Agreed. Thanks for finding the link. I was unable to before.

Nice to experience a Bond adventure that isn't blatantly paying homage to previous stories.
    Yes, indeed. They are heading to a rather new route, regardless of the few small references to some old elements, the whole experience remains original and new.

And you're welcome. :)
    Friendly reminder to all that Vargr #3 us coming soon and that if you started reading this series I highly recommend you do.

Also that's an awesome run on sentence but deal with it.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423
    A few new images are published on behalf of Dynamite's website from Issue #3, which precedes the events, I assume, we've seen in the link posted above.
    Image #1
    Image #2
    Image #3
    Image #4
    Image #5

It's "The Stealth Affair" making a comeback. ;)

By the way, a reminder to the readers, Issue #3 comes out in three days on the 6th.

In the meantime, here's the first cover for Issue #5 set for release on 2nd of March this year.
    JamesBond05CovAReardon.jpg
    Cover Art by Dom Reardon.

Synopsis:
    Bond is locked in a death trap in a medical lab in the middle of Berlin, London is going into meltdown as poisoned drugs are turning homes into abattoirs, and the only way to save Britain is the secret of someone or something called... VARGR.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,116
    The plot thickens. I'm liking Vargr more and more.

Thanks @ClarkDevlin for the update.
    The plot thickens. I'm liking Vargr more and more.

Thanks @ClarkDevlin for the update.
    Oh yes! It's going to be a fantastic Bond experience!

And don't mention it. I'm always available to help a colleague. :D
    Can't wait for issue #3! Loving these so far.
    I've just read the third issue, digitally! And Good God, this was too much Bond for a short-driven one issue. In fact, this should have been the route the films should have taken.
    I've just read the third issue, digitally! And Good God, this was too much Bond for a short-driven one issue. In fact, this should have been the route the films should have taken.

I haven't read issue #3 yet but I have had the same opinion.

Only "major" gripe is the absence of Sir Miles.. Malloy and this unnamed M are interesting but I miss the original.

Only "major" gripe is the absence of Sir Miles.. Malloy and this unnamed M are interesting but I miss the original.
    Who doesn't? I'm still not really keen on Moneypenny's change of heritage but ah well... I do like that she is given the role of "last line of defense" for M, though, as it appears to be in the film series.

Who doesn't? I'm still not really keen on Moneypenny's change of heritage but ah well... I do like that she is given the role of "last line of defense" for M, though, as it appears to be in the film series.

Yes I like that too.

Yes I like that too.
    Looking forward to your review, @mcdonbb. :-bd

Yes I like that too.

Thank you :). I tried to purchase last night but sadly not in stock :(.

Will try again this weekend at another store.

Yes I like that too.

I do have a spare digital copy in case you'd like it until you find one copy to purchase. :)

Yes I like that too.

I do have a spare digital copy in case you'd like it until you find one copy to purchase. :)

Very nice of you. Thanks. I'll see if I have any luck this weekend.
    I finally got my first 2. It was great. I be giving it to my Nephew to read too. He love James Bond movies & Books.
    Next schedule: February 3 (Issue #4)
    Upcoming: March 2 (Issue #5)

I can hardly wait.

On top of that, in the whole Bond community, I am surprised to see that very few of us are actually interested in these Bond comics, and not everyone is bothering with it, much to my confusion.
    Next schedule: February 3 (Issue #4)
    Upcoming: March 2 (Issue #5)

I can hardly wait.

On top of that, in the whole Bond community, I am surprised to see that very few of us are actually interested in these Bond comics, and not everyone is bothering with it, much to my confusion.

Me too...

If you loved SP you should love VG and if you were disappointed in SP you should love it at least be satisfied with VG.

Exercise your imagination a bit ...cast Fiennes cast Craig ..modify the dialogue. Crank up Newman or Arnold ..

It's fun.

Very nerdy but fun...