Brosnan. Can someone tell me if he was fired outright ? Or booter for asking for too much $$$ ?

13»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was his Titanic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Plykshow wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but I found this article. Here is a passage from it...
    And then it came back around, and then I did my full contract, which was for four movies; they invited me back, and I remember distinctly being in the beach house in Malibu and the phone rang, and Michael and Barbara [Cubby's heirs] said, "We'd love you to do the fifth." And I said, "I'd love to." I put the phone down; I said to my wife, Keeley, I said, "OK. Go build your dream-house. Because I'm doing a movie. They've just invited me back." And then I went off to do a movie in that interim time, After the Sunset, and one day I was going out onto the set, and the phone rang, and it was my agent, and they said, "Listen. They've started negotiations on the film." I said, "OK, what does that mean?" He says, "Well, they don't want to negotiate anymore. They'll call you next Thursday." I said, "OK." So I waited a whole week, and then the next Thursday came, and I was in the Bahamas—I think I was staying at Richard Harris's house with Richard and his family; there's an interconnectedness there. And Michael and Barbara said they'd rethought the character and were putting it on hold and we said goodbye. And that was it. Alright. You were a good Bond. So that's how it went down that time. And that certainly dug into the solar plexus of life, just because it was pretty gut-wrenching and because it had been somewhat heralded that I was coming back. So, it's just business. And you're the one caught in the crosshairs.

Here's the link to the full article - http://www.gq.com/story/pierce-brosnan-bond-fired-interview

So what does this mean? In the article, it states that his agent apparently told him to resign. How can he resign if he was not actually employed?

The comment by the agent asking him to resign indicates he was actually sacked, although I realize he had already completed his four film contract at this point.
    I take it means that his agent told him to publicly state that he (pierce) would not do another 007 movie because EON had decided not to move forward on the orally agreed 5th movie. An advise to salvage PB's reputation even if his 007 run was highly successful. Agents are daft as they must have learned from the lazenby affair.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Brosnan left in early 2003, declaring he 'went out on a high'. EON started the whole 'reboot, young actor, more serious, darker' direction. Then Brosnan started negociating with EON again in mid 2004. But his high salary demand and the fact that EON were already in the optic of a younger Bond, Brosnan's offer was refused.<br />
    <br />
    He wasn't fired as he wasn't under contract since DAD, but his 2004 re-negociation/offer was refused, as he no longer fitted the part.

Good decision on Eons part.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    My simplistic summary, and at risk of sparking this whole discussion again, but if you drill down and get to the root of each guy leaving, I think it breaks down this way.

Connery quit- twice
    Moore- retired ( the great Connery would have had to be retired too at some point, as might Craig too if he sticks around long enough)

The other three were essentially not wanted anymore, for various reasons. All could have continued. They were young enough. Even Broz had another movie or two left in him, if Eon had wanted him.

Thus Laz, Dalts and Broz were all cut loose by Eon in favour of someone else.
    In Laz's case for anybody but him.
    Dalts dumped for Broz
    Broz dumped for Craig
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Laz walked away from the role.
    Broz was not dumped for Craig, Brosnan was essentially let go from a suggested 5th movie by EON as they rethought the franchise after DAD. For the reboot they found Craig but he did not take Brosnans place he was essentially a new hire for a new direction.

What I always wondered about was what if they had already signed Brosnan for a fifth what would it have looked like or would it have been CR in some sort of guise?

That said Brosnan has shown in a few movies that EON could have chosen him for a darker direction with EON but yet chose to stay light in favor of whom exactly? It is a matter of record that Brosnan would not mind a darker 007.
    @stmark all true, but you are not.actually refuting that Broz was dumped

We all know the Laz history and the Broz history and the Dalts history.
    They were all dumped. Yes Laz originally balked at continuing. We all know the history, but in very short order, he was also dumped ie offer no longer on table, even if he changed his mind.

Thus I maintain Sean quit twice.
    Rog was retired, much like aging star athlete.

Other 3 dumped ie no longer wanted.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Rog, George & Tim left, Sean quit, and Pierce was not asked back.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For me, this was Pierce's 5th film. An interactive Bond movie.
    Murdock wrote: »
    That's awesome. Pierce has never moved or looked better.
    CGI was more realistic than the DAD parasurfing scene too!!!

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    timmer wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    That's awesome. Pierce has never moved or looked better.
    CGI was more realistic than the DAD parasurfing scene too!!!
    Yeah, Everything or Nothing is sometimes more over the top than Die Another Day but it doesn't go too crazy with it. Though it still has the invisible cars and even has Bond being able to turn invisible. Though I don't use the Nano suit. :))
    Good I've always liked the invisible car. Thought it was all explained just fine. All about light refraction you know. ;)
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Brosnan did go out on a high note. Die Another Day was the highest grossing Bond movie of all time until CR

Yes, but not in real terms. In real terms at that time Thunderball was still the most successful Bond film.
    Let's not wrap ourselves too tightly in the snakes of money and first let's talk about these films as artistic success's before we worry the money to bits. Brosnan has his own fables to tell and so much of it is spin and hairy tales of your. For instance, MGM declared Dalton was a no go so he gracefully dug his own grave and got in all with a smile on his face. What a man and I don't know if Craig cooks for the crew and makes a happy family maybe he can waffle his way to 9 Bond films like Moore did once upon a time (or however many he did there)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    tigers99 wrote: »
    Brosnan did go out on a high note. Die Another Day was the highest grossing Bond movie of all time until CR

Yes, but not in real terms. In real terms at that time Thunderball was still the most successful Bond film.

TB is brilliant. DAD is shit.....That's not a high note.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »

TB is brilliant. DAD is shit.....That's not a high note.

I quite agree.