Examples of the Americanisation of James Bond Films/Character/Dialogue etc.?

Comments

How's about in Twine in the mi6 castle when Pierce says "all the romantic vacation spots" that one's always annoyed me. Bond would not say vacation unless possibly when speaking to an american.
    echo wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I would have felt more true to the character in SP for example if when he was offered Champagne by Oberhausers butler, rather than a bland "Maybe later" he said "My dear fellow, champagne without oysters is like ....blah blah" A double "up yours"

It worked so well in CR when he ordered the drink and pissed Le Chiffre off. These days we seem limited to cufflink adjustments.

I took this moment as Bond thinking the champagne might be drugged.

I thought he was suggesting saving it for celebrating later. Ie when Oberhausen was dead.
  • I think some of these like "00 Program" are intended to be more global than specifically American. They're going to use whatever word is more easily translatable to other languages and cultures.

Another interesting non-specific one is in QOS when Dominic Greene mentions "running shoes". Trainers would have been too British and sneakers would have been too American, so they went more...literal (and easily translatable).
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    I think some of these like "00 Program" are intended to be more global than specifically American. They're going to use whatever word is more easily translatable to other languages and cultures.

??????????????????????

Surely the point of translating something is so that someone who doesn't speak the language can understand it? When China is the biggest market in a few years why not make it even easier for translators by having the entire cast speak in Madarin or Cantonese?

Another shocker is Dan in CR saying 'I gotta go.'

Good points about the champagne though. Surely a ripost a la DN along the lines of 'A 2010 vintage Franz? I don't think so. But then you always did have a penchant for Liebfraumilch' would have been far more Bondian in puncturing the villains pomposity?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yes, let's not forget that they didn't give Americans the credit to understand what the word 'revoked' meant. :-O

Yes that always baffled me. And what's worse is that LTK is perhaps the worse most generic title of the series so far.

Referring to the title not the film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I like Licence to Kill better than Licence Revoked. Licence to Kill has been the staple of the Bond character. It makes sense in the context. That's not really an Americanization.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Indeed. In fact "Licence Revoked" screams America.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    royale65 wrote: »
    Indeed. In fact "Licence Revoked" screams America.
    Yeah that sounds more Generic.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Your drivers licence has been revoked.

We don't use "revoked" in England.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think some of these like "00 Program" are intended to be more global than specifically American. They're going to use whatever word is more easily translatable to other languages and cultures.
    I still would have preferred if M said "bahstards" rather than "baasterds" in CR, just like how Dalton said horse's arse rather than ass in TLD (unlike the inimitable Dr. Jones, who said someone wants her 'ass' in TWINE).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 7,974
    bondjames wrote: »
    I still would have preferred if M said "bahstards" rather than "baasterds" in CR, just like how Dalton said horse's arse rather than ass in TLD (unlike the inimitable Dr. Jones, who said someone wants her 'ass' in TWINE).

No one can say 'basterd' like Dalton. It's his signature naughty word. Like Connery and 'pussy'.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    "Moron " (uttered by the useless C in SP). I've always found that one more American that British.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    royale65 wrote: »
    Your drivers licence has been revoked.

We don't use "revoked" in England.

Didn't know that.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    "Moron " (uttered by the useless C in SP). I've always found that one more American that British.

Well he did have to come up with an insult beginning with M. Though since it was Britain, maybe he should have gone with muppet :)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Well he did have to come up with an insult beginning with M. Though since it was Britain, maybe he should have gone with muppet :)

No, I think "moron" is fine. We Brits use it here too.
    I wish that they wouldn't worry about it and Americanize the scripts.

It's kind of insulting. We like Bond being British... part of the whole mystic.

They don't cater the Australia and like American English Australian English is very colloquial.

Most of the writers are indeed English and the director so what gives? Are they consciously thinking as to how to phrase or what word to use to make sure we get it?

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Na, that's pretty universal. I use it all the time and I'm 100% stiff-arsed Brit! (arse not ass as our American cousins say!).
    I'm from England and would say bastard with a hard a. From up north.

Interestingly in the trailer she says 'butt'
    tigers99 wrote: »

I presumed that was because "butt" is a less coarse word than "ass".

BAIN123 wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »

I presumed that was because "butt" is a less coarse word than "ass".

In the UK I don't think either would be seen as more coarse than the other, not sure about an American audience.
    I think the Connery Bond uses the expression "It's a sinch he's not working alone" when he calls Blofeld in the guise of Bert Saxby. I take that as an Americanism, perhaps this is not surprising given that Richard Maibaum and Tom Mankiewicz were the writers!
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I think the Connery Bond uses the expression "It's a sinch he's not working alone" when he calls Blofeld in the guise of Bert Saxby. I take that as an Americanism, perhaps this is not surprising given that Richard Maibaum and Tom Mankiewicz were the writers!

Yea but he was in the guise of Saxby who would say that.

Still I'm sure neither Maibaum nor Mankiewwicz knew the term was strictly American.
    Cell phone is the one that annoys me the most
    Alan007 wrote: »
    Cell phone is the one that annoys me the most

Yup would and does me too. I prefer Bond properly British.
    I reckon they might ....I reckon. Sorry, I'm in Texas. That's one of the three words we've consistently mastered.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yea but he was in the guise of Saxby who would say that.

Still I'm sure neither Maibaum nor Mankiewwicz knew the term was strictly American.

Yes, I should have made that point more clearly above. It sounds American to me but I may be wrong of course. I heard this phrase used recently again while I was re-watching the first episode of Columbo - 'Murder by the Book'.
    "In avoiding the clutches of American English in his latest outing, 007 lands a lexical blow that keeps the British end up. But is there a wider agenda at work?"

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/dec/07/james-bond-spectre-americanisation
    'digs' is british