Examples of the Americanisation of James Bond Films/Character/Dialogue etc.?

13»

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Birdleson wrote: »
    And in SP. Bond, "So this are C's new digs." That sounds American to me. I'm not a Brit, so tell me, is that an expression you guys use over there as well?

Yes, 'digs' is a British term.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    And in SP. Bond, "So this are C's new digs." That sounds American to me. I'm not a Brit, so tell me, is that an expression you guys use over there as well?

Yes, 'digs' is a British term.

Indeed it is; staying in "digs" at university, "new digs" etc.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Just had a quick look, but it looks like the author of the piece has missed the fact that SPECTRE is an acronym and not the word used for a ghost or spirit, as the last two words in SPECTRE are Revenge and Extortion the spelling 'specter' wouldn't fit.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    "Blow up your pants."

"Keep leaning on that tooter Charlie and you're gonna get a shot in the mouth!"

Straight outta Fleming's novel. :D
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Just had a quick look, but it looks like the author of the piece has missed the fact that SPECTRE is an acronym and not the word used for a ghost or spirit, as the last two words in SPECTRE are Revenge and Extortion the spelling 'specter' wouldn't fit.

That's true of the old Fleming novels, pre-2015 Bond films featuring SPECTRE but let's remember that as of Spectre (2015) the organisation now does not have a longer name beyond SPECTRE in the latest Bond film.
  • Austin_ValentineAustin_Valentine Durban , South Africa
    The entire concept of Christmas Jones "... Or somebody's gonna have my ass."
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    True, but she is American. I think the purpose of the thread is to find inappropriate Americanisms.

Well I'm more than happy if we expand it to include 'inappropriate Americans'?
    True, but she is American. I think the purpose of the thread is to find inappropriate Americanisms.

Correct, as always, @Birdleson. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond in QoS all of a sudden pronouncing m'am as mam whereas in CR and in SF he pronounces it as he should, marm.
    What about in GE when Brosnan walks into the computer room at Mi6 and asks Tanner "what's up?"

I admit to using that phrase myself sometimes as a Brit, but isn't it something that originated in America?
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Bond in QoS all of a sudden pronouncing m'am as mam whereas in CR and in SF he pronounces it as he should, marm.

Well, there is some wiggle room on this. When talking to the Queen, it is 'mam' as in 'ham' and not 'marm.

And Dame Judi did play Queen Victoria

:)
    Brosnan saying "then check this out" when he's at the Naval base in TND.